a New Ritual we discovered

momofmeg

This last cruise was Sunday to Sunday and we left out of Miami. The last evening around 10 pm we went up to the Spinnaker Louge to listen to music. Well, the band was taking a break so we stepped outside and walked around on the sport deck.

Low and behold, we could not believe all the ships. We saw the Eurodam passing us (hubby had his binocluars) passing us heading out on her cruise. We saw a couple more ships going the opposite way, one we could tell was Celebrity by the "X", we assume the Constellation, as this was 2 weeks ago and Celebrity had only 2 ships doing the caribbean at that time. We could not make out her name though, she was too far away.

We then walked to the very back up the ship and walked down to the lido deck-there behind us was 4 or 5 ships going the same direction as us. We saw another Celebrity ship, it had to be the Solstice- because they do Sunday to Sunday from Ft. lauderdale. I laughed and asked hubby if he could se the grass. Two other ships were Carnival, we could not make out their names, but we assumed one of them was the Truimph as it was in dock with us the next morning. The other 2 ships were too far behind us to make them out-perhaps the Independence of the seas was one-as they were in dock the next morning also-or perhaps one of the Princess ships heading back to Ft. Lauderdale.

We decided this is our new ritual for the last night of the cruise-to look and see how many ships we see going out and returning to port. We never made it back to listen to the music, we had such a good time doing this.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
I like to watch the other ships also and try to take pics of them - zoom comes in handy for some ships that are not that close to us... corkey carol

You and my hubby! He has a very good picture of the Majesty of the Seas docked near Coco Cay. He has that up as our screen saver. We were on NCL Pearl and at their private island the day he took it.

This is actually a good idea! We brought our binoculars back in December & they got the most use of anything we brought. Never thought of looking for cruisers leaving or coming back into port with us, however (kinda difficult in NY, but you never know).

Hope to score a cruise w/ my DB who works for Carnival in the near future, so I'll keep it in mind!

This is actually a good idea! We brought our binoculars back in December & they got the most use of anything we brought. Never thought of looking for cruisers leaving or coming back into port with us, however (kinda difficult in NY, but you never know).

Hope to score a cruise w/ my DB who works for Carnival in the near future, so I'll keep it in mind!

I know we saw other ships when we left for Bermuda from NY and on our transatlantic heading back to NJ we saw other ships doing the Canada run.

The difference with the Miami/Ft.Lauderdale area is there are numerous ships that leave out on Sat. and Sun. so we saw tons of ships leaving out as we were returning. so if you leave out on a Saturday you need to look Saturday night as you go out. if you leave out on a Sunday, you need to look Saturday night as you return.

So if you are heading for the Caribbean, I doubt you would see much, UNLESS when you came near the Miami ft. Lauderdale area it was on a weekend.

Archived