Boarding

wildweston

Hi guys just sitting here thinking and I was wondering ( and this might be the dumbest thing anyone asked) when you board the ship do you go up a gangplank into the ship or have I been watching too many movies.

Cheryl

Used to be in the old days.

Not sure of Brisbane. OPT is similar to the corridor you walk along onto a plane, while Wharf 8 has an escalator to take you from ground floor - usually to promenade deck.

axrcards i take iy you have never been on a cruies?

If you have a look on axrcards signature, you still see that he went on a cruise at the end off 07 / start of 08.

I think he may have only done 1 cruise so far, but I am not sure & I could be wrong….

Hi guys just sitting here thinking and I was wondering ( and this might be the dumbest thing anyone asked) when you board the ship do you go up a gangplank into the ship or have I been watching too many movies.

Cheryl

Hi Cheryl, it is called a gangway... and yes...you do walk up a gangway to embark a ship... in major cities here in OZ they are covered so you don't get wet, but in the islands they are open to the elements.

your heart beats a little faster going on the first time...in excitement.

kind regards, Lorraine:):)

axrcards i take iy you have never been on a cruies?

I take it you is wrong. We have embarked at Wharf 8, and have watched others do so at OPT. Never been to portside - maybe you have a constructive answer for there?

You write and spell like drelix used to - any connection?

I take it you is wrong. We have embarked at Wharf 8, and have watched others do so at OPT. Never been to portside - maybe you have a constructive answer for there?

You write and spell like drelix used to - any connection?

Similar thoughts there Geoff, maybe just same generation!!! ;)

..... while Wharf 8 has an escalator to take you from ground floor - usually to promenade deck.

Is that right, Geoff? It must have changed since we cruised from there in Apr '06. We had to walk up the gangway.....no escalator.

On the other matter, our minds think alike;)

Is that right, Geoff? It must have changed since we cruised from there in Apr '06. We had to walk up the gangway.....no escalator.

On the other matter, our minds think alike;)

You are right Karen.

I have these visions of "floating" up to Sun Princess promenade deck, hence the escalator. Now with more recall, they were definately stairs when it was time to get off.

There is a lift there for those that need it though.

Hi Cheryl, it is called a gangway... and yes...you do walk up a gangway to embark a ship... in major cities here in OZ they are covered so you don't get wet, but in the islands they are open to the elements.

your heart beats a little faster going on the first time...in excitement.

Not only the first time Lorraine, - even with Cruise no 7 coming up in January I still get that excited feeling walking down (or up) the gangway to board the ship on the first day, and the disappointment of walking up (or down) it on the last day :(

You can change that one easily.

Just start planning your next cruise as you walk down the gangway. It will change this :( to this :) - very quickly!!!

:D;)

Not sure about that Dennis, we already had our next cruise booked when we got of Pacific Dawn in September, and I still felt disappointed.

Geoff, there is an escalator that takes you part of the way up at Wharf 8 and OPT, then you walk up the 'gangway' so maybe that's what you were thinking of. I don't care if I have to climb a rope, just so long as I can get onboard!!

We never touched (or even saw) an escalator at Wharf 8. We did, however, go up an escalator at OPT.

So guys when you walk up the gangway do you go straight to top deck or more in the middle of the ship? The ship must look massive as you get closer to boarding, I'm getting goosebumps!!

At Wharf 8 and OPT the escalators take you up to the level of the promanade deck and you walk straight over the gangway to the deck.Yes it is the most awsome feeling.:D

Karen, maybe it was a travelator at Wharf 8, I just know we did not walk up any stairs and we definatly walked straight across to Promanade deck.

.:D

Karen, maybe it was a travelator at Wharf 8, I just know we did not walk up any stairs and we definatly walked straight across to Promanade deck.

When we embarked at Wharf 8, we definately WALKED UP a gangway (no stairs). No escalator or travelator. I even have it on video. When we got on the ship, I'm pretty sure we were on deck 5.

Hi everyone..

when going onto ships at wharf 8 Darling Harbour...you must..

enter the large hall , go through a security check,walk over to passport / immigration clearance. then onto hand your ticket over and do the credit card bit,you then receive your cruise card.

you walk along a passage, usually that is where the P&O photographers take your photo,then to the escalator (or the lift for handicapped passengers). up to the deck of the building.(sometimes the photographers have been there) walk along to the gangway to go on ship...usually entering about deck 5...

every single cruise from Darling Harbour has been the same for me.

Cheryl

Dear Neice,

At brisbane we qued for ages to get on the pacific Star....we boarded by a gangway on i think deck 5.on the rhapsody in oct we boarded by a little gangway up to deck one ....which was just above the wharf.

by the way GANGPLANK is something you will be walking if you meet pirates or in your case if you miss behave.......i have created a cruise double addict.

cheers

your dear uncle

Geoff, there is an escalator that takes you part of the way up at Wharf 8 and OPT, then you walk up the 'gangway' so maybe that's what you were thinking of. I don't care if I have to climb a rope, just so long as I can get onboard!!

I guess it all depends on the size of the ship and how they line up to the deck they are boarding from.

Sun Princess boarding is from the customs hall up to the promenade deck (deck 7). I thought there was an escalator - but I am not so sure - had other things on my mind, and have no pictures to fall back on. Once we launched from the front of the queue till arriving in our cabin, it was pretty much a blur.

The only time we have taken notice at OPT was when QV was berthed there in Feb - where they had an almost level walk off along the covered gangway to the first level at OPT. Some passengers took the external stairs down - but these were not embarking passengers, just shore tourists.

I will be taking special notice of OPT in 22 days.

Hey Uncle Fox, yeah I keep laughing about gangplank I don't know why I called it that, but I think I'll feed you to the sharks for getting me interested in this cruisin biz. Just one question does the teen get a cruise card or is the adult in charge of it?

Ag

Hi Di

All passengers are issued with cruise cards. Obviously little ones aren't in charge of theirs, but you see most passengers over the age of about 4 wearing theirs. They are ID as well as money. You can't leave the ship without one so parents often leave the ship with several dangling around their neck if they have a couple of pre-schoolers, like Mickalex described earlier this year.:p

Jenny

Archived