Differences between Princess and NCL

lyntony

Nice to see another one who realises you can't please everyone, I guess I just SO love vacation that I will not let anything ruin it. I work hard, and save long, so I ENJOY all seven days. Especially NOT preparing meals and making beds!!!:D

Mary

Our friends are taking an NCL cruise, and I have, in the past. heard some negative things about NCL. They asked me what they might be, but I don't remember.

Lyntony

Well as a one-time cruiser on NCL, and a six-time cruiser on Princess, I'm sure I'm quite biased. But the one NCL cruise did not impress me after 4 previous cruises on Princess.

Mostly, the staff was not nearly as friendly and helpful. Didn't seem to care what happened to you, didn't step aside when you were trying to navigate to a table with a plate full of food - instead made you step aside to let them pass. It may have just been that particular cruise, but it made a lasting impression. Maybe I'll try NCL again, but not until Princess dissapoints me first.

Well as a one-time cruiser on NCL, and a six-time cruiser on Princess, I'm sure I'm quite biased. But the one NCL cruise did not impress me after 4 previous cruises on Princess.

Mostly, the staff was not nearly as friendly and helpful. Didn't seem to care what happened to you, didn't step aside when you were trying to navigate to a table with a plate full of food - instead made you step aside to let them pass. It may have just been that particular cruise, but it made a lasting impression. Maybe I'll try NCL again, but not until Princess dissapoints me first.

wow, out of curiosity what ship and when did you sail NCL? I only ask because the one thing we have always found on NCL is the friendliness of the crew compared to other lines.

NIta

wow, out of curiosity what ship and when did you sail NCL? I only ask because the one thing we have always found on NCL is the friendliness of the crew compared to other lines.

NIta

It was the Norwegian Star, Mexican Rivera, 2007

It was the Norwegian Star, Mexican Rivera, 2007

wow, that was when we did the Star. We had no problem with the crew being friendly.. There were a couple of nights in the dining room they were not particularly interested in us but that was the exception. We found the identical thing on Golden Princess this past January. The wait staff was over worked, the dining rooms exceptionally noisy and very unfriendly crew with the exception of a couple of nights. I think this may be treand we are all going to see more of with the prices being consistant or being cut and every thing else going up in cost...Cruising 5, 10 or 20 years ago and today are as different as winter and summer in Arkansas...

Nita

We think Princess is more in line with our personal preferences.

Some differences:

Princess has virtually no announcements - you're expected to be able to find Bingo on your own (LOL).

Most NCL ships have more alternative dining choices, but that doesn't necessarily make the food better.

Princess ships are generally larger and feel less crowded. Some Princess ships have covered pools and we found plenty of seatng, even on sea days.

NCL doesn't have anything like the Piazza on Princess ships - wonderful setting with relaxing entertainment while you enjoy a cup of fresh coffee.

Princess does a wonderful afternoon high tea.

Greater variety of entertainment on Princess.

We enjoy the fact that pax on Princess are a little less laid back than those on NCL. Part of the cruise experience for us is getting that bit of sophistication that is part of the cruise ship tradition.

We've been on 5 NCL cruises and we chose Princess for our most recent cruise because of a major customer service issue with NCL (nothing to do with any onboard issues). We enjoyed every one of our NCL cruises, but we found Princess just a bit more to our liking.

Archived