Differences between Princess and NCL

lyntony

Our first three cruises were NCL, next 8 Princess. We would not hesitate

to use NCL again. In fact, they seem to have some itineraries that look

a little bit more diversified. Good idea for us to look into for future planning..

Can't say there was anything we didn't like about NCL. THe thing that gets me going the most on Princess is the Horizon Court and the chaos

that seems to be going on each morning with no direction or order.

Sherri

We are loyal Princess cruisers but were on the NCL Gem last summer because the itinerary fit us best. I agree, we also would not hesitate to book another NCL cruise. I thought their food in the regular DRs was not up to the standards of Princess, but the staff was very friendly and we liked the choice of multiple specialty restaurants. NCL's decor was brighter (some might say over the top) but that's not really a negative.

Our friends are taking an NCL cruise, and I have, in the past. heard some negative things about NCL. They asked me what they might be, but I don't remember.

Lyntony

Whatever they told you, and if it was bad, they were right. Been on 2 and absolutely do not care for NCL. Take Princess.

Oh my gosh, if anyone tells you that they hate the Horizon Court and then compares that to the "school cafeteria-like" buffet set-up on NCL....then they were in the area with their eyes shut.

The food wasn't bad in the buffet on NCL but the tables, chairs, aluminum island for the drinks and the whole set-up was so "cheap and unfriendly-looking!" Whereas on Princess the tables/chairs/booths are lovely and inviting. Something you wouldn't mind seeing in your own home!

The staff on both lines are wonderful/helpful and diligent.

The furnishings and decor on NCL are garish. Princess furnishings are teakwood/glass/brass and subtle.

The entertainment on Princess is better. But, if you don't like theatre style seats you won't like it. They don't have "bench like" seating anywhere in the Princess Theatre. My DH likes that better!

The storage (closet/drawer space) and Cabin deor on Princess is far superior to NCL.

I truly care for the Princess "experience" better!

Whatever they told you, and if it was bad, they were right. Been on 2 and absolutely do not care for NCL. Take Princess.

Have to agree with this one!! NCL is at the bottom of my list. I wouldn't say I would never sail with them again, but would have to be an itinerary that no one else has:)

We have had one cruise on each of NCL and Princess. Our first cruise was NCL and we loved the southern Caribbean itinerary. We just got off the Ruby on Dec. 6th, and I have to say, we preferred NCL.

Ice cream on NCL (soft serve) is free and always available, unlike Princess. Also, on NCL, my special dietary needs for low sodium, were met cheerfully and with no apparent difficulty. Whereas on Princess, I gave up after 2 nights in the dining room (Anytime Dining) and made sure to eat plain food the rest of cruise (no sauces, marinades, etc.). Fortunately, I did not become ill from too much sodium.

Yes, the cabin on Princess was lovely, but I preferred the shower on NCL better. It was a bit larger. We definitely loved the Caribe balcony on Princess - it was huge!

Both have good and bad points, so it probably really comes down to scheduling and the itinerary.

Our friends are taking an NCL cruise, and I have, in the past. heard some negative things about NCL. They asked me what they might be, but I don't remember.

Lyntony

We have cruised both lines in the past 10 months so can give a pretty good comparison. Of course to get a real overall view you need to post on both boards; of course most here will be biased. This is to be expected.

We found them very similar, unfortunately we had bad cabin strewards on both lines, but it was just the luck of the draw. We like the way freestyle works much better than personal choice and slightly prefer the cabins on NCL to Princess. Of course you can only compare cabins if you choose the very same catagory and type of ship...The entertainment is about the same and the food a toss up. I like the entrees better on Princess but the buffets and breakfast better on NCL. Princess wins out when it comes to on board activities. This has to do with NCL is very port intensive with days in port often running from early morning until close to sunset, thus there is little time for activities on board. I would chosse either line over many others. Because we have cruised NCL more, I lean toward them, but Princess is every bit as good.

Wizard of Roz, I agree with you on the decor, only I sorta like the bright colors on NCL, to some they are garish, I agree. As for the cabin, both seem to have plenty of storage, but we like the set up on NCL better. Of course, it depends on the ship I am sure. As for the Horizon Ct, again, it depends on the ship. We found the Golden to be the biggest nightmare of any ship we have sailed. All we did was run into people. Quality wise, I would have said they were similar, but we were just off the Spirit, the buffet was as good as any I have every had: I will add,we are not big buffet lovers, but the breakfast and lunch were really tasty...

Nita

Oh my gosh, if anyone tells you that they hate the Horizon Court and then compares that to the "school cafeteria-like" buffet set-up on NCL....then they were in the area with their eyes shut.

The food wasn't bad in the buffet on NCL but the tables, chairs, aluminum island for the drinks and the whole set-up was so "cheap and unfriendly-looking!" Whereas on Princess the tables/chairs/booths are lovely and inviting. Something you wouldn't mind seeing in your own home!

The staff on both lines are wonderful/helpful and diligent.

The furnishings and decor on NCL are garish. Princess furnishings are teakwood/glass/brass and subtle.

The entertainment on Princess is better. But, if you don't like theatre style seats you won't like it. They don't have "bench like" seating anywhere in the Princess Theatre. My DH likes that better!

The storage (closet/drawer space) and Cabin deor on Princess is far superior to NCL.

I truly care for the Princess "experience" better!

500% agreed!!!!!!!!

Take what NevadaHiRoller says with a grain of salt, he was on NCL board today with jalse information. Thank goodness others had the correct information....Honest opinions are one thing and should be considered, biased are another..

Nita

I have been on NCL and Carnival. My first voyage on Princess will be in April. THe buffet on NCL was garbage. Seemed like they served the same stuff eavery day. They did not even have at least one dish that was being offered in the dining room. THe food in the dining room was average. I had 2 dinners each night for a total of 20 different meals. I would say that 5 were very good while 8 of them were below average. They have the freestyle dining but there is a charge for almost all the restaurants besides the buffet, dining room and the 24 hour place. I was fortunate that my cruise had the Italian and the Tapas/Mexican restaurants free of charge. This provided more options. I will have to let my taste buds be the judge on Princess..

GK, nice shot of the Norway at the breakers. Actually, I loved that grand classic before they chopper her up.

We've been on all the mass lines. Our current line of choice is Princess. But we took a cruise last year on NCL because we wanted to go to Bermuda--3 days docked there and the rest of the days at sea. (Princess, are you listening????)

While we prefer Princess, we thought NCL was fine. Food was comparable, and the experience was quite enjoyable.

We've done 4 cruises with NCL and 4 with Princess. Both have good points....and bad. Personally I prefer Princess. I think the food is better both in the DR and in the buffets. NCL has a bit too much Mexican and Tai at their buffets and it seems to repeat the same menus much too often. As for the DR, I find Princess has a much better selection and better quality...but that's just us.

We've stayed in mini-suites on both and Princess wins hands down. The suite on Princess is larger and has 2 TV's which I find a definite plus. The balconies are larger too. As for the staff...I found them equally friendly.

First cruise I did was NCL Spirit, bad food and service (except the sur-charge restaurants0, restrooms were not kept clean nor was ship really clean. I got off the ship saying NEVER AGAIN!!!

Dh had to talk me into taking the Diamond Princess to Mex Riv, I got off that ship saying "When is the next cruise?"

You couldn't pay me to take another NCL cruise :(

OK I had to chim in, as you can see from my signature, I have sailed NCL 5 times, and have 2 more booked for 09. On all my cruises I have had a wonderful time, any problems were always solved quickly by staff. Had wonderful service from crew, and on the Majesty which is one of their older ships I think I encountered the BEST staff ever. I am going on Princess in May, and I am excitely looking forward to that cruise too, maybe I am a bad judge because I always see the glass half full and ALWAYS love my vacations. I have even rebooked the Majesty in Oct.

And hands down, NCL makes my husband who dresses all work week and loves to shed the suit for vacation, very happy. He still looks well dress, but NO TIE REQUIRED, now I dress up a lot for dinner, and it is our choice and never feel out of place. Cruises are the best hands down.

Mew1

OK I had to chim in, as you can see from my signature, I have sailed NCL 5 times, and have 2 more booked for 09. On all my cruises I have had a wonderful time, any problems were always solved quickly by staff. Had wonderful service from crew, and on the Majesty which is one of their older ships I think I encountered the BEST staff ever. I am going on Princess in May, and I am excitely looking forward to that cruise too, maybe I am a bad judge because I always see the glass half full and ALWAYS love my vacations. I have even rebooked the Majesty in Oct.

And hands down, NCL makes my husband who dresses all work week and loves to shed the suit for vacation, very happy. He still looks well dress, but NO TIE REQUIRED, now I dress up a lot for dinner, and it is our choice and never feel out of place. Cruises are the best hands down.

Mew1

Thanks for your post--definitely much more positive than some of the others. Agree that cruises are the best vacations.

Have sailed now on 3 lines: NCL, RCI, and Princess. All have good and bad points. But a cruise is what you make of it. We really never had a bad experience on any NCL cruise.

BTW--that picture of the grand old dame, the NORWAY, made me very sad. We were fortunate to have sailed on her twice--wonderful memories.

I've sailed 7 times NCL, 3 times Carnival and 2 times Princess. I am also booked for one cruise with Princess in January and one with Carnival in May. I enjoyed each cruise as much as the other. Princess does the absolute best embarkation, so your cruise is started off on the right foot. NCL's debarkation is far preferable to the others because you can stay in your cabin til you're ready to leave. No waiting in crowded public areas. Other than that, I've had great cabins and not so great cabins on all 3 lines. I've had good food and not so good food on all 3 lines. If the itinerary and price are comparable, I wouldn't hesitate to book with any of the 3.

I have been on NCL and Carnival. My first voyage on Princess will be in April. THe buffet on NCL was garbage. Seemed like they served the same stuff eavery day. They did not even have at least one dish that was being offered in the dining room. THe food in the dining room was average. I had 2 dinners each night for a total of 20 different meals. I would say that 5 were very good while 8 of them were below average. They have the freestyle dining but there is a charge for almost all the restaurants besides the buffet, dining room and the 24 hour place. I was fortunate that my cruise had the Italian and the Tapas/Mexican restaurants free of charge. This provided more options. I will have to let my taste buds be the judge on Princess..

you probably haven't cruised NCL recently. I used to feel the same about the buffets, in fact i do most buffets: yes, breakfast is the same, but what can be done for breakfast? the lunch buffet this cruise last week was outstanding, especially the salad bar and the hot meats. As for a charge in the restaurants, give me one cruise line that has more "Free" choices than NCL? There are none!!!!

SouthNevada, you were given the option of paying the corkage fee, but choose to surrender the wine until the end of the cruise. You are right, NCL is the only line that does this and I don't like it either, but anyone that would base a cruise or a cruiseline on something like this is pretty shallow in my opinion. You know before you sail the liquor policy of each line.

Nita

Personally, I feel NCL is substandard to the other lines. I feel that their food is not very good to border line bad, seriously. Cold food, dried up steaks. Tacky buffet area like a cafeteria. Nope not for me. Been there done that two times and that was enough. Carnival is better than NCL.

Funny how much attitude plays into things, before we went on the NCL Majesty Sept 08, was reading reviews and even I thought OH NO maybe I made a big mistake. Turned out to be the most wonderful cruise DH and I took, and he had even gotten sea sick for the first time. The crew WAS AMAZING, and we met friends from the roll call, we had the best meet and greet ever. I know it had a lot to do with attitude. We had a group that was SO positive, and we always had fun. I am going on my first Princess, I have read both good and bad, but I will believe and follow the POSITIVE ONES :D

Enjoy the cruise

Mary

Funny how much attitude plays into things, before we went on the NCL Majesty Sept 08, was reading reviews and even I thought OH NO maybe I made a big mistake. Turned out to be the most wonderful cruise DH and I took, and he had even gotten sea sick for the first time. The crew WAS AMAZING, and we met friends from the roll call, we had the best meet and greet ever. I know it had a lot to do with attitude. We had a group that was SO positive, and we always had fun. I am going on my first Princess, I have read both good and bad, but I will believe and follow the POSITIVE ONES :D

Enjoy the cruise

Mary

Attitude has so much to do with it: I just got back from a neighborhood Christmas party; while there I was talking to a couple who cruised NCL last fall and hated it. Freestyle wasn't for them, she said she expected the wait person to know, by day two, she wanted her ice tea the minute she sat down and exactly how often to re-fill it throughout dinner. They thought the food sucked as did the service. Of course when you pinned her down the only bad service could think of was the tea incident and the fact she didn't get the attention she expects. Her favorite line, Celebrity, next Carnival, least favorite, toss up between Princess and NCL.

We just cruised NCL last week, hardly one complaint, from anyone and I talked to many people. The biggest complaint was over-worked room stewards, not the food or the dining room servers. There were about 20 plus of us, everything from middle income to over the top income, some staying in inside cabins on deck 6, one couple had the owners suite. We were from the east coast, southwest, as far north as Ohio and as far south as Tx and La. Our age spread from 12 to 95, with some being new cruisers, others have cruised over 20 times. Some ate all their meals in the main dining room, some split between dining room and buffet and some mostly enjoyed the specialty dining rooms. Again, everyone was satisfied with the ship and food. Go figure.

This is not saying every meal and every item was awesome, there were a few iffys. I have never had a dried up steak, I have had one over-cooked, I simply asked for another, no problem and it came back rare like I wanted.

There are reasons for so many cruise lines, not any will please everyone.

Nita

Archived