Would you let your kids sail in their own cabin?

Would you let your kids sail in their own cabin?  

164 members have voted

1. 1. Would you let your kids sail in their own cabin?

• Yes
    • No
    • That depends (please post why -- age, temperament, etc.)

My 15 yr-old Grandson and 20 yr-old nephew will be sharing an inside cabin on our cruise in June. They are both extremely responsible and extremely afraid of the "rath of the parents". We weren't able to get them in a cabin across the hall so they will be a little further away than we would like. We may have to sign one of the parents up as being in the cabin and we will have a key to their room. They know there are limitations to their freedom (especially the 15 yr-old), and that they will be "joined at the hip" during the cruise. Neither can leave the cabin alone. The 20-yr old is a neat freak so that will help, and the 15 yr-old is very consious of tipping for room service, which he loves. They are excited about having their own cabin. Our biggest fear is from someone else..not them disturbing anyone.

Would you leave your kids in their own room in a hotel at home? Sometimes passengers leave their common sense at home because they feel nothing could happen bad on a cruise..How about looking into getting adjoing rooms..You and your kids might be fine with separate rooms but remember you are sailing in tight quarters with 1000+ strangers..

Of course, people's children are far more likely to be harmed/attacked/abused by their parents, close relatives or their friends than by strangers.

The biggest factor would be location of the cabin.

If it's a connecting cabin, the age, maturity, and temperament of the kids wouldn't matter - I'd have direct access to them.

If it's next door but not connecting, or across the hall, I'd need to know that the kids were old enough and responsible enough to follow my rules about going out of the room at night, opening the door to others, having new friends come back to the room, etc. etc.

Anywhere else in the ship - even on the same deck - they'd have to be legal and emotionally adults! :)

The cruiseline REQUIRE that an adult (or someone over 21) be in each cabin. We booked two adjoining cabins and put my wife in one and me in the other. However, when it came time to sail, we simply moved the kids into one cabin and us into the other. No problems.

Here are our Secrets of the Caribbean!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

These are our very detailed personal reviews, hints, and tips for ports of call that you will be visiting.

Last year we had 3 consecutive balconies on Coral Princess. We put our middle and youngest sons in the middle with our oldest with my MIL.

This year BIL/SIL, MIL and us will have 3 balconies in a row and an inside directly across the hall. The younger kids (6,8,9) will stay in the balcony cabins with adults. The older 2 boys are 14, 12 and they will stay in the inside cabin across from the 5 adults. I don't think we will have any problems.

The cruiseline REQUIRE that an adult (or someone over 21) be in each cabin. We booked two adjoining cabins and put my wife in one and me in the other. However, when it came time to sail, we simply moved the kids into one cabin and us into the other. No problems.

Here are our Secrets of the Caribbean!

http://www.lavasurfer.com/info/caribbean-secrets.html

These are our very detailed personal reviews, hints, and tips for ports of call that you will be visiting.

That is not a requirement on Celebrity (at I believe age 14).

My kids are 12 and 13 and I would only do this if the room was adjoining or right next door. I'm not sure if I could relax knowing they were on their own and that anyone with a master key could get in. I also think my kids would be a bit 'worried' with the situation too.

I'd also be worried they'd forget themselves and make bad neighbours to others.

We have just booked our second cruise where we will put two of our kids in an adjoining cabin. They don't spend much time in the cabin, we are next door, hasn't been a problem. We need some nighttime "adult time" so we don't want to share a room with the kids. They are 5 and 7, and do just fine. But they are great sleepers and good travelers. YMMV.

I am delighted that Costa has made this change in policy. I am both a parent of 5 kids myself and a travel agent who caters to families. I know my husband and I would rather stay home that share a cabin with the kids (ugh! some vacation!) and it is also true that for a lot of families, like ours, we have more kids than parents so limiting us to 2 dormitories so one parent can be in each stateroom simply isn't going to fly. I think parents can decide whether their kids are old enough and mature enough to be in a room by themselves. I would think that from a safety standard, very young children should be in an adjoining cabin so the door can be left ajar, but the notion that middle school and high school aged kids need Mommy and Daddy staying in the same room is ridiculous, assuming the kids are well-behaved and have some independent skills.

If you book your staterooms as assigned rooms (as opposed to guaranteed) then you do not have to worry about kids winding up on different decks from the parents and all the scary "home alone" sounding scenarios. We have been cruising with our kids since the girls were 12 years old (they are 17 now) and have taken 8 cruises in those years with another one coming up in June and we have never shared a cabin with any of our kids, and we have never had any problems whatsoever. Furthermore, we usually travel with other families whose kids also have their own rooms, and the kids have a ball ... and they also stay out of trouble. Our kids are always in the cabins on either side of ours, or right across the hall; we have never had any trouble keeping up with them, and they know where to find us - we are back and forth quite a bit between cabins. And in response to one poster I might add we have occasionally used the same arrangement in hotels - kids are in the room next door and in that case, they know not to open the door unless it is a parent knocking (we use passwords so they know it's safe).

I look forward to giving Costa a whirl; we have never sailed this line before specifically because their rules for accommodating children were not family friendly; I will be very pleased to add them to the list of cruise lines I can now recommend.

ALBE with all due respect for your kids but the cruiselines have all made their experiences and believe me there is a reason why those rules are in place. Too much vandalism, too much disturbing others and to many people over board (fortunately to this point only adults or young adults and no smaller children but I take it you understand) It is simply a precaution the insurances require cruiselines to take.

on our last cruise our kids ages 16 and 12 were alone in an adjoining cabin but, I would be OK with across the hall or close by but I'm not to sure about somewhere else on the ship. I would want them at least in the same hallway. IMOP. SOLLY:cool:

It would depend on age and maturity. My kids are 13 and 19...and yes, I would let them stay in their own cabin...as I am in 2 days!!! Woo Hoo! But, the cabin would have to be within view of my room. For small children...the only way I would do it is if was connecting cabins...even side by side, but not connecting wouldn't be good enough. I'd want the door to stay open so I could hear them and check on them easily. And their hallway door would be locked and dead bolted.

Yes

WE did it on our last summer cruise .We had 2 balcony cabins side by side .My kids stayed together my hubby and I in other cabin.We kept the balcony doors opened and dividers as well. I could check up on them at any time.It was very convenient .We mostly all sat in our balcony we had 4 chairs .I would clean up the cabin while they were sleeping ,get them breakfast etc . My kids were well behaved and I kept their room neat for the steward. I would do this again ..plus our balcony was double size!!!I'm glad Princess allowed this

It would all depend on the child - e.g. maturity and age. I know I just came off a cruise - many teenagers due to holidays - and they were pretty wild at times and parents were no where around to ensure they behaved (even staff and other passengers couldn't deal with them - could have been due to language - not sure).

I can't imagine what it would be like to be next to a cabin of unruly children - shudder!

BTW, Costa is a great cruise line - been on it a few times - and would cruise with them again!

We were on the Carnival Victory in '01 and my DS roomed with us. At that time he was 14 but was found many times in the hottubs with adults, and they enjoyed each others company. Pete is a very mature person. Now he is 22 and will be the "chaperone" for our 12 y/o DGNephew in a prommenade cabin all this on the Freedom of the Seas in Feb. '09.across the hall from us. DNiece/DNIL will be down the hall with 2 DGNieces. Back to the original question. I think Pete would have been ok after about age 14, except he has (still) a problem waking up.

I have an idea.... CRUISE WITHOUT YOUR CHILDREN!!! It's a vacation people!

If you want a FAMILY vacation... go Disney!

Maybe I don't want to crusie with Disney, maybe I like to travel with my kids. I have two girls (13-14) and one son (7) and they have traveled the world with us and have learned a lot doing so. They are my family and shouldn't be left at home in the care of others. If you travel alone maybe you shouldn't have kids.......I could see a trip alone to a more adult oriented place (like Vegas) once and awhile. But if you can afford to travel with family why not? We have a ton planned this year, 2 weeks in Mexico in February, four cruises, and a trip to Vegas (can ya guess which one the kids won't be with us?):D

I have an idea.... CRUISE WITHOUT YOUR CHILDREN!!! It's a vacation people!

If you want a FAMILY vacation... go Disney!

Comments like this are just insulting to everyone with a family. ITS A VACATION! That's why I take my kids, they are part of my life. Sorry yours aren't, if you even have any. I hope not. We take our kids to Disneyland lots. Its not quite the same experience.

So, do you stay away from places like Disneyland, theme parks, the beach, parades, the park, etc? I mean, those are family places and I wouldn't want "adults only" vacationers/visitors there. :rolleyes: See how silly it sounds when you reverse it?

A five and seven year old alone in a cabin next door? Sorry, but I just cannot understand that, no matter how much "adult time" you want. Unless there's an inside door connecting those two cabins, this could be a problem with kids so young. Anyone with a key could get into that cabin and do whatever to children so young. What if they wake up and start wandering the ship alone? Then what? A ship can have as many nasty people as in any city, and I would never allow kids that age to be alone in a ship's cabin, not even just at night. We would never have allowed our boys to be in a cabin alone at that age. When you decide to have a child, there are some sacrifices you make, one of them being the nighttime "adult time" on vacation. My boys' safety and my peace of mind is so much more important than anything else. They were only allowed their own across the hall cabin when the oldest was 16, and even then it had to be right across the hall or right next door.

Comments like this are just insulting to everyone with a family. ITS A VACATION! That's why I take my kids, they are part of my life. Sorry yours aren't, if you even have any. I hope not. We take our kids to Disneyland lots. Its not quite the same experience.

So, do you stay away from places like Disneyland, theme parks, the beach, parades, the park, etc? I mean, those are family places and I wouldn't want "adults only" vacationers/visitors there. :rolleyes: See how silly it sounds when you reverse it?

Sorry to insult people with children. I do not have any kids, and am not planning on having any. And yes... I do stay away from places where multitudes of families flock. That is why we choose smaller ships (this time around) and try to avoid cruising during peak family travel times. I did not mean any insult. I was simply replying to the OP. In my opinion, if you vacation and don't want your children to be in the same cabin as you, you should vacation without them. Otherwise, vacation with them, but don't complain when you don't have any "ALONE" time.

Please don't flame me... I meant no harm....

I have traveled several times with my 3 kids in their own cabin. Sometimes it is adjoining, sometimes across the hall and sometimes its been down the opposite hall (portside). That time my DD was 17, DS was 12 and youngest was 8. I have never worried about how my children would act in public bc they were raised correctly and act even better than usual while out on a cruise. We have always gotten compliments from complete strangers, who have commented on how loving they are with each other and how well behaved they are.

I guess some of us are very lucky.:D

Sorry to insult people with children. I do not have any kids, and am not planning on having any. And yes... I do stay away from places where multitudes of families flock. That is why we choose smaller ships (this time around) and try to avoid cruising during peak family travel times. I did not mean any insult. I was simply replying to the OP. In my opinion, if you vacation and don't want your children to be in the same cabin as you, you should vacation without them. Otherwise, vacation with them, but don't complain when you don't have any "ALONE" time.

Please don't flame me... I meant no harm....

You are being too kind to this person...while you could of stated your response kinder...

this comment.......

Originally Posted by notentirelynormal

Sorry yours aren't, if you even have any. I hope not.

WAS TOTALLY OUT OF LINE

All I could of think of was...I hope you weren't experiencing infertility issues...

because NOT ENTIRELY NORMAL that's was a nice KNIFE in the UTERUS kind of comment

We're unable to have children and we choose our vacations to avoid children.

As it's too painful to watch all you happy families.

HOWEVER, on the flip side...I am just amazed with parents who let their kids run wild, behave rudely

and take over a ship unsupervised. The idea of them being in seperate cabins makes me uncomfortable.

on a safety note...here's the thing..you can't hear what is happening in the cabin across or down the hall...anyone could

be in there with a pass key WITH YOUR CHILD...that would scare the hell out of me..that is of course, we could have kids!

You are being too kind to this person...while you could of stated your response kinder...

this comment.......

Originally Posted by notentirelynormal

Sorry yours aren't, if you even have any. I hope not.

WAS TOTALLY OUT OF LINE

All I could of think of was...I hope you weren't experiencing infertility issues...

because NOT ENTIRELY NORMAL that's was a nice KNIFE in the UTERUS kind of comment

We're unable to have children and we choose our vacations to avoid children.

As it's too painful to watch all you happy families.

HOWEVER, on the flip side...I am just amazed with parents who let their kids run wild, behave rudely

and take over a ship unsupervised. The idea of them being in seperate cabins makes me uncomfortable.

on a safety note...here's the thing..you can't hear what is happening in the cabin across or down the hall...anyone could

be in there with a pass key WITH YOUR CHILD...that would scare the hell out of me..that is of course, we could have kids!

Thanks for the kindness of your response. While my DH and I have chosen not to have children, we have some very close friends who are dealing with the exact same thing that you are. They also choose to avoid vacation spots with families. It is truly sad, and I feel for them, as I do you.

Archived