Lost Luggage

Norwaylin

While on a cruise to the Western Caribbean, I had an experiece with a lady whose luggage did not make it to the ship on time. The cruise line did help her by giving her an allowance for purchases in the shops onboard. Anyone who has cruised knows that the clothes in the shops don't come in larger sizes. I was sitting with friends in the dining room and this lady came over to me and told me the story of her friend whose luggage was missing. She told me that we were about the same size and did I have any extra clothes she could borrow. I didn't have any extras, but remembered that my aunt had just given me some clothes that her daughter-in-law left for me before she moved. My aunt and uncle lived in Miami and I stayed with them just before the cruise. I had a few pairs of jeans and blouses in my suitcase that I was taking home. I loaned these items to the lady with the lost luggage. The cabin steward picked up her items and cleaned them daily. The items were returned to me later and were cleaned and pressed by the staff.

The funny part of this story: When in Grand Cayman, I was introduced to the lady by her friend while in a store picking up some small gifts. She hugged me and thanked me over and over. I think the store staff thought something was "going down" -- which wasn't -- only overwhelming gratitude. I exchanged addresses with Jackie, but haven't heard from her in a long time. She was in Chicago and I am in Cleveland.

SO, pack sets of clothes (blouse/shirt, slacks, underclothing, shoes, etc.) in each suitcase so that you have something to wear even if one suitcase is missing. Also, I always put a bathing suit in my carry-on along with a few other incidentals.

Have a great trip. If you have room in your suitcase, include a few items that may help another traveler.

While on a cruise to the Western Caribbean, I had an experiece with a lady whose luggage did not make it to the ship on time. The cruise line did help her by giving her an allowance for purchases in the shops onboard. Anyone who has cruised knows that the clothes in the shops don't come in larger sizes. I was sitting with friends in the dining room and this lady came over to me and told me the story of her friend whose luggage was missing. She told me that we were about the same size and did I have any extra clothes she could borrow. I didn't have any extras, but remembered that my aunt had just given me some clothes that her daughter-in-law left for me before she moved. My aunt and uncle lived in Miami and I stayed with them just before the cruise. I had a few pairs of jeans and blouses in my suitcase that I was taking home. I loaned these items to the lady with the lost luggage. The cabin steward picked up her items and cleaned them daily. The items were returned to me later and were cleaned and pressed by the staff.

The funny part of this story: When in Grand Cayman, I was introduced to the lady by her friend while in a store picking up some small gifts. She hugged me and thanked me over and over. I think the store staff thought something was "going down" -- which wasn't -- only overwhelming gratitude. I exchanged addresses with Jackie, but haven't heard from her in a long time. She was in Chicago and I am in Cleveland.

SO, pack sets of clothes (blouse/shirt, slacks, underclothing, shoes, etc.) in each suitcase so that you have something to wear even if one suitcase is missing. Also, I always put a bathing suit in my carry-on along with a few other incidentals.

Have a great trip. If you have room in your suitcase, include a few items that may help another traveler.

How wonderful that you were able to help! What I don't understand is why the ship's stores don't have large sizes in stock :confused:. I've been on enough cruise's that I can see that most ladies aren't size 0! I'd be SOL if my luggage didn't make it to the ship. Even if they "gave" me an allowance I wouldn't be able to find anything that fit :eek:.

Hi,

I have traveled on over 50 cruises and haven't lost any luggage yet (knock on wood)because I live in Florida and drive to the ports. When I get to the port, the luggage is given to the porter right there at the pier. It should already have your tags on it that come from the travel agent and then it is taken and placed on the ship. They say that all the luggage would be delivered by 8 or 9pm that 1st night. It is a good idea to have a carry on with a change of clothes, medicines and anyhting else you might need for the 1st night just in case the luggage doesn't make it to your room. They assure you that the luggage is on the ship, it just takes a while to get to the rooms. They do sometimes have luggage that has lost tags and if yours does not show up, call the pursers desk and they will talk to you and you can check if yours in in the stack of no tagged luggage. Good luck.

Luggage from planes, I do not know about since I drive to the ports.

another option is to wear more clothes on boarding day, as in shorts and a t shirt under and then a set of Nice clothes that in a pinch you could wear for evenings. then at least if nothing shows up you have a place to start.

I also always pack easy to accessorize make due clothes in my carry on. Jersey works well for this as it packs small.

another option is to wear more clothes on boarding day, as in shorts and a t shirt under and then a set of Nice clothes that in a pinch you could wear for evenings. then at least if nothing shows up you have a place to start.

I also always pack easy to accessorize make due clothes in my carry on. Jersey works well for this as it packs small.

Also, you could bring an extra item or two (that you were going to donate anyway) just in case someone loses their luggage.

How wonderful that you were able to help! What I don't understand is why the ship's stores don't have large sizes in stock :confused:. I've been on enough cruise's that I can see that most ladies aren't size 0! I'd be SOL if my luggage didn't make it to the ship. Even if they "gave" me an allowance I wouldn't be able to find anything that fit :eek:.

Believe me, unless it's sweatshirts, a plus sized woman isn't going to find much of anything in those ship stores. My mom was tiny, 4'9" and maybe 100lbs. In some things, I had to buy her large and even extra large things in order to get them to fit her. She forgot her little warm up jacket on a recent Celebrity cruise so I went down to the shop to get one for her, and even the large was too small for her. I have absolutely no idea why cruise lines don't carry larger sizes in their shops.

Also, you could bring an extra item or two (that you were going to donate anyway) just in case someone loses their luggage.

Although it's a kind thought, I think most of us have enough trouble packing for ourselves, let alone bringing something for those whose luggage is lost.

Anyone who flies ANYWHERE should know that there is the risk that their luggage will be lost. It doesn't have to be a flight to a cruise. My mother's luggage has been lost numerous times, as has my sister's for land based vacations.

On our transatlantic this past spring there was a couple whose luggage was lost. It took eight days for it to arrive. The couple were absolutely terrific about it. They were not large people, but still had difficulty fitting into clothes on the ship ~ primarily shoes. But they made the best of it! The lady made jokes about being the only person wearing a Celebrity sweatsuit for eight days in a row. They were loaned some clothes, but it was their fabulous attitude that made people want to lend them things and be around them.

I too, lost luggage on a cruise. No, that's not really true. It wasn't missing, it just wasn't on board with us! It caught up to us at our 2nd port, four days into the cruise. Yes, I had an allowance for the shops but could hardly find anything to fit. I bought T shirts to sleep in and wear with my jeans. I picked up a one size fits all skirt to wear on formal night but I sure didn't feel very comfortable. I now pack complete outfits for both DH and I in our carryon as well as split our clothes between our suitcases. Not having your luggage sure puts a damper on things but you just have to make the best of it. Oh, and when you see people in jeans at the formal nights, give them a break; they might not have any luggage either.

Never lost luggage ("knock on wood" too) but I'm always ready, should it happen.

When I travel with someone (even just a friend), I make sure we see each other before departure and we pack half our clothes in the other person suitcase.

Travelling with someone or travelling alone, I always bring a medium carry-on bag that is packed of the most important stuff. The stuff I couldn't live without.

Last summer, I went on a QM2 Back-to-Back Transatlantic Crossing. Had my luggage been lost, I would have been 6 full days without a possibility of buying clothes except in the onboard shop. I am a size 2-4 but still think it would have been hard and very expensive to find acceptable clothes.

Had I lost my luggage, I would have been fine with only my carry-on. Here is what it contained:

- Medicines

- Paperback novel

- Best pieces of jewellery (the others were in checked luggage)

- Minimum makeup (natural color that can fit any type of clothes)

- Bathing suit

- Flip Flops for the pool

- 2'' black sandals (casual but wouldn't look too bad even with the dress)

- Little black alter dress and shrug that fold to nothing (would be underdressed compared to most QM2 passengers but I thought it would have been "acceptable'' in such a situation and could easily change the look with wearing or not the shrug or buying a wrap).

- White capris

- Knee length black skirt

- 1 black tank top

- White cotton and lace twin set (tank top + short sleeves top)

- 1 pink polo shirt

- 2 sets of underwear (panties, bras, socks)

I was also wearing black pants with black & white belt and a satiny polka dots blouse and 2'' black sandals to board. As you can see all those items can mix-and-match very well and some can be dressed up a little for dinner or dressed down for the day.

I would have worn the cocktail dress on the 3 formal nights (probably would go to one of the alternative dinning on one occasion). The black skirt with black tank top and shrug for informal night. Black pants with white twin set and the black skirt with polka dot shirt for the 2 casual nights.

During the day, the capris would have worked well with the polka dot shirt, black tank top with white top of the twin set or with the pink polo shirt while the black pants or skirt could be paired with the white twin set, polo shirt or polka dot shirt.

Of course, I would need to do some laundry along the way but still, I could manage even on a TA aboard QM2 without feeling too out of place (it was very important for me to be well dressed on that trip, it was part of what was bringing me on the ship and if I had to wear sweatshirts or misfitting clothes, I would not have enjoyed it as much).

We've had the misfortune of not having our luggage arrive at the ship when we sailed from Athens. Thankfully it was waiting for us on the pier at the end of the 3rd day when we were in Istanbul. We thought we'd done everything right - cross packing, taking pictures of the luggage, putting noticeable luggage tags on, etc., but we have no control over our bags once we turn them over to the airlines.

Fortunately we wear decent looking clothes to travel in - docker style pants and polo shirt/tank top and dressy blazers, so we had pants (which the ship laundered for us every night) and all we needed were a couple of different t-shirts to round out our outfits until our luggage arrived. I agree with the posters about the sizes in the shops onboard - even the L and XL were small on me and I'm a sz 14-16. I can't imagine being an 18+ and hoping to find something other than a man's size shirt or t-shirt.

Now when we travel I always pack at least 3 outfits into our carry-ons including pieces that can be put together to take us through formal evening as well. You'd be amazed how I can pack DH's tuxedo into a carry-on . . . isn't that what the onboard pressing service is for???:p

Smooth Sailing! :):):)

Archived