Ok, so how much do YOU give as a tip?

remydiva

If you refer to Social Security in US, you are INCORRECT.

People never work will get NOTHING.

You have to earn "credits" in order to qualify Social Security.

Maximum credits a person can earn per year is 4. It used to be based on hours worked, but now it is based on $ you earned. In 2008 you receive one credit for each $1,050 of earnings, up to the maximum of 4 credits per year.

In general, you need to work 10 years before you are eligible to receive Social Security benefits when you reach the age that entitles to, based on the year you are born. But you must work to earn the "credits".

Disable benefit has a table based on age and work that is less than the normal social security benefits. But they still have to work at least 5 years before they are eligible.

The only people who could receive benefits without working would be widow or widower, when the deceased spouse has worked at least 10 years. The widow or widower has to reach at least age of 60, or if they are disabled, age of 50, to be qualified for the survivor benefit.

Social security assistance is NOT the same as social security. It is a welfare, not a retirement benefits. Please get your concept correct first before posting misleading info.

http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10072.html

You may want to read thru the FAQ so you have a better understanding on how SS works.

This is also not correct As far as regular Social security plan is concerned. a person who has never worked can collect on their spouses LIVING spouse or dead record. even if they are divorced IF they were married at least ten years. the amount would be half of the amount the working spouse would receive and it can only be collected IF the working spouse has started to collect or if they are deceased. This same non working spouse who is collecting the amount of Half what the working spouse receives can then IF STILL MARRIED at the time the working spouse dies, they can change to collect the full amount the working spouse was receiving, giving up the half they were receiving.

OH by the way for a seven night cruise we normally would tip an additional $100 to the cabin STEWARD, $50 to assistant, $100 to waiter and $50 to asst.waiter. Also tip piano players and others that are responsible for enjoyable parts of our trip.

So that is what this is really all about...APPEARING CHEAP. Some are just trying to appear one way or another, cheap or rich. Nice...

I just want to make sure that I do appear, and not miss the sailing.:D

Everything else is just secondary.;)

Mike:)

oh thank you am getting soo excited for christmas too .....feel so lucky.. good luck to you:)

Thank you too happynanny. Isn't it funny how we can "pick each other out of the crowd!!!" I've been cancer free for a year, going on 2 early in 2009. I feel truly blessed.

All this other picking and fighting on this thread.........I just don't understand. The cruiser asked a simply question and now it's turned into a major sniping war.

I really think it's time the moderator pulls this thread.

Maybe it's just the stress of the season, but everyone really needs to relax and take a deep breath. It was a simple question and the cruiser got a lot of good answers. But now, it's just getting ridiculous.

why is it most of you tip the cabin steward or headwaiter more than the assistants, from what ive seen on cruises they all do the same amount of work. most people comment on the fact that the auto tipping is a fair way to tip as it means the behind the scene workers also get a cut. so now shouldnt the extra tip you give to the cabin stewards and waiters also be put into the tipping pool cause with out the back up workers that you dont get to see then the waiters and stewards couldnt give you the great service that you do get from them

Appearing CHEAP IMHO is a situation when some talks about affording a nice suite, drinks etc and at the same time removing (or not planning) tips.

Not tipping above standard guidelence should not make feel or look cheap by any means. I don't think tips amount is set TOO LOW.

When we just immigrated to US, my husband worked as a multi-restaurant delivery guy. He never considered any tip too low. Bigger than 10% was a nice bonus, not something he expected on everyday basis.

Now.. we are paying (let's say on Celebrity where I know exact amount) $3.50 to server and $2 to waiter assistant. This is $5.50 per day.

Our usual dinner in let's say Apple be costs now around $70, so 10% is $7, we have another $8.50 as tips that cover our buffet meals, where we most of the time serve ourselves.

Again, same goes to cabin steward. I don't remember leaving more tham $5 dollars a day in my hotel room. Steward cleans room twice a day, so yes he gets $10.50 per day from our cabin of three.

There are couple more small charges I don't remember .. iirc 0.75 to M'D and same amount for somebody else.

Barstaff gets their nice 15% from each drink too.

I understand, that there are more positions on the ship, but same goes to land hotels.

why is it most of you tip the cabin steward or headwaiter more than the assistants, from what ive seen on cruises they all do the same amount of work. most people comment on the fact that the auto tipping is a fair way to tip as it means the behind the scene workers also get a cut. so now shouldnt the extra tip you give to the cabin stewards and waiters also be put into the tipping pool cause with out the back up workers that you dont get to see then the waiters and stewards couldnt give you the great service that you do get from them

I also somewhat think so. I talk to a couple of girls (from my country), who worked exclusievly in buffets. They said it's extremely difficult to get into main waiters or even assistants.. Long wait. They are workin around 80-85 hours every week (no dayoffs, unless you are really sick).. for .. well now it's around $1000 more. Waiters get much more. But before autotipping pay for the same position was not even $1000.. more like $500 a month.

OH by the way for a seven night cruise we normally would tip an additional $100 to the cabin STEWARD, $50 to assistant, $100 to waiter and $50 to asst.waiter. Also tip piano players and others that are responsible for enjoyable parts of our trip.

Oh, dear:eek:. I really am cheap. Those are some of the tips I would have given before the auto-tip, not on top of it. Nancy

Oh, dear:eek:. I really am cheap. Those are some of the tips I would have given before the auto-tip, not on top of it. Nancy

Why should you feel cheap?

Internet is very forgiving place. I'd write the same amounts, but with more zeroes on the right side. ;) On the other hand I'd probably add DAILY!

So that is what this is really all about...APPEARING CHEAP. Some are just trying to appear one way or another, cheap or rich. Nice...

geez, lighten up a bit! i'm way too old to give a d**m about how I appear....it was said a bit tongue in cheek...in other words, one wants to fit in and tip accordingly without being too posh or too cheap looking. I don't want to under compensate nor do I want to go overboard (LOL).

I think way too much emphasis is placed on the tipping and how much folks tip. Tip as you see fit and forget it.

It all seemed to work out fine before the auto tip. The waiter, assistance and steward took care of those they worked with out of their tips. Service was more consistent and better too. This was the way it worked for years.

That's why we cancel the auto tip, tip these folks the recommended amounts plus $20-30 each and tip the Matre'd and Assistant Waiter $30-50 each. We tip those who deliver room service cash daily. We tip porters handling luggage etc.

We did not tip a waiter and the assistant once on a 7 day cruise -- this was before the auto tip system. We did not feel they deserved a tip -- were going to give them the minimum but they were even worst the last night on the ship. So we decided to teach them a lesson. That was once out of 30+ cruises. The next morning they came looking for us, thinking we had forgotten to tip them. We made it clear we did not forget that we decided not to tip based on their lack of service.

I suspect most folks tip. If they don't it is because service was lacking.

It all goes into the tip pool. But perhaps it makes you feel "good" giving out cash and receiving the bows from the supplicants!

That's why we cancel the auto tip, tip these folks the recommended amounts plus $20-30 each and tip the Matre'd and Assistant Waiter $30-50 each. We tip those who deliver room service cash daily. We tip porters handling luggage etc.

Remember that one of the main reasons for auto tip was because of anytime dining. YOu can possibly have a different server each night. Also it is shared with staff behind the scent like cooks, dishwashers etc.

I am curious why yu would tip the Maitre D' and assistant waiter more than the waiter and room steward, pris993

Before auto tipping we tipped the steward and our two waiters. Only on one occasion did we tip the head waiter. He deserved it.

What does the head waiter usually do? In my experience he walkes round every odd day asking if everything is ok, then moves on before he gets an unexpected answer.:eek:

I would think the Maitre`D earns a lot more than I do. I have only once had to deal with him and was told he does not accept gratuities.

Before auto tipping we tipped the steward and our two waiters. Only on one occasion did we tip the head waiter. He deserved it.

Note the key words 'before autotipping' or as others have said 'before anytime dining'.....so how did the cleaners, kitchen help, deck hands get their share of the tips then??? did we care? no. So why is it so contraversial now???

I don't get it.

how did the cleaners, kitchen help, deck hands get their share of the tips then???

According to "The Only Way to Cross", there was an internal economy on board. Stewards (and these were British liners, by the way) made their money through tips from their passengers. If they wanted clean towels, quick service from the galley, etc., they had to share those tips with the people who kept them supplied with the necessities to do their job. If they were cheap, they wouldn't get what they needed, and their passengers would therefore be unhappy.

Note the key words 'before autotipping' or as others have said 'before anytime dining'.....so how did the cleaners, kitchen help, deck hands get their share of the tips then??? did we care? no. So why is it so contraversial now???

I don't get it.

I believe the one fact that you are not aware of is that prior to auto tipping the folks that normally were the recipients of cash tips (cabin stewards, dining table staff) had to pay, out of their tips, the good folks behind the scenes. As example cabin stewards had to pay the people who provided them service (i.e. washed your bedding & towels) and waiters had to share their tips with the behind the scenes people in the kitchen. If they got shorted in tips it didn't make any difference. They still had to pay for the services of support staff. If they were short changed by some cheapskate it didn't make any difference. They still had to pay for the services even if it came out of their own pockets. Therefore, although you didn't directly care or knowingly tip them they were getting their share of all the cash that was handed out. Auto tipping hasn't changed that "pay for support service" in the least. All auto tipping has done is to cover the waiters in the Anytime Dining room who otherwise would probably miss out on the end of the week tipping exercise.

If more people were aware of this fact the perhaps it wouldn't be so contraversial with some like you now.

Archived