Do I Need a Tour to snorkel?

Chiefie

I'm not a serious snorkeler, preferring to stay on the beach... but it would be nice to experience a little snorkeling, without signing up for a dedicated tour.

Is there a beach where there is some decent snorkeling, even if it's not the best?

Although the boat tours are fantastic in Grand Cayman and I'm always on one, there is shore snorkling walkable from the tender dock at Eden Rock. Just look for the dive shop, should be a flag at the shore and a set of stairs. The Cemetery is another good spot- IF it wasn't destroyed by weather?? Was there only prior.

I'm not a serious snorkeler, preferring to stay on the beach... but it would be nice to experience a little snorkeling, without signing up for a dedicated tour.

Is there a beach where there is some decent snorkeling, even if it's not the best?

We're just back....there's very good snorkeling at Eden Rock, but no beach to speak of.

If your first requirement is a beach and you just want a bit of snorkeling, there's a man-made reef directly in front of the Marriott on Seven Mile Beach and a natural reef just past the man-made one. Excellent beach and wonderful swimming. The snorkeling is mediocre but it may meet your needs.

thanks for the replies, folks.

we almost decided on spending the day at eden rock, when another alternative came up - we saw a tour offered by nativeways that combines some snorkeling, and the rest of the day on the beach at rum point... what would you recommend?

Thx

About 3/4 mile past Eden Rock dive shop is a dive resort called Sunset House. We walked down there last week on our stop in Grand Cayman and snorkeled there. The fellow at the dive shop said to feel free to snorkel and use the chairs and pool, no charge. We snorkeled and had drinks at the big thatch-roofed bar and waited out a downpour. The snorkeling was better at Eden Rock, but that could have just been due to the rain and cloudy conditions that made it harder to see underwater. Beware that I saw LOTS of spiny sea urchins on the bottom near the ladder in front of Eden Rock dive shop. Watch your feet if you aren't using fins.

thanks for the replies, folks.

we almost decided on spending the day at eden rock, when another alternative came up - we saw a tour offered by nativeways that combines some snorkeling, and the rest of the day on the beach at rum point... what would you recommend?

Thx

If the excursion has everything you want, then go for it. I haven't been to Rum Point, so can't comment on it. Whatever you do, have fun!

I just had a closer look at the photos above, by nolaAlive, and i have a question - the louge chairs and deck... do they belong to the eden rock dive center or the paradise restaurant?

They're at Paradise Restaurant.

The dive center just has a couple of picnic tables used for putting on/taking off gear.

thx, YoPhilly... you answered a question i actually posted on another thread. So, I assume my wife can lounge at the Paradise while I snorkel Eden Rock... Do you know how much the Paradise charges for use of the lounge chairs?

Let me add two points for Sunset House

1. Check their web-site....they have an ocean pool that allows easy entry to a closed ocean area. A newbie can check their gear and their comfort level THEN swim out thru the opening in the ocean pool to the open water and GREAT snorkeling

2. When approached nicely - as I'm SURE u would - once snorkeling and perchance using the bar and grill, significant others have been invited to use the pool and chairs for freebies....

Archived