Marseille - Car Rental?

Does anyone have experience in renting a car for one day in Marseille?

I was thinking a pleasant drive through the country to Aix and back by car would be an interesting experience. We just have the one day in port.

Any comments, recommendations or suggestions?

cheers

Paul

We often rent cars in Europe (on cruises and for longer term land trips) and its not a problem. In France you will only need to produce a valid drivers license (nobody has ever asked us to see an International Drivers Permit in France). Your best prices for a one-day rental will usually be found on-line before you leave home. The biggest hassle in Marseille is that you will probably need to use your cruise ship shuttle (or a taxi) to get you into town to a rental car dealer. Any place near the train station would be within walking distance of the shuttle stop located at the old port (in town).

Hank

We did it last year--took a taxi to the rental agency. Had a pleasant drive to Aix, but if I did it again i would go to Les Baux. Best part was winding up the day in Cassis--not to be missed IMO.

A bit scary getting back into town and finding the rental place again, but we did it!

I booked ahead--it was very difficult to tell which agency was closest to the dock. if I did it again, i would wait till I got there and just ask the taxi driver to take us to the nearest agency.

We shared a cab with another couple (who had booked at an agency closer than ours). DH sat in the front with the driver, and since he speaks French they had a nice conversation. When we got to the agency and were filling out our paperwork, the phone rang--it was the taxi driver saying DH (in another interpretation) had left his camera in the cab!! The guy was so nice--he knew what direction we were heading and had some guests he was touring for the day. He waited for us at a roundabout about 15 miles outside the city to give us our camera back!! What a great guy!! Do NOT believe what everyone tells you about the French people hating Americans!

Cathy

• 2 months later...

As I am doing researches for my NAVIGATOR OF THE SEAS cruise:

Subject your ship calls MPCC (Marseille-Provence Cruise Center) the next car rental will be this one:

http://www.ada.fr/agences/FR326A_MARSEILLE-MADRAGUE_location-voiture.html

It's only 2 miles away from MPCC.

But we meanwhile decided to have a private tour.

Regards,

HeinBloed

• 2 years later...
Do you think there would be time to go toAvignon and Pont Du Gard with rental car. The ship docks for 10 hours.

Sorry nobody (including me) ever responded to this question (I missed it). You are talking about 3:15 - 3:30 in total driving time to get to both Avignon and Pont du Gard. So yes, it certainly can be done. You need to leave yourself about an hour of time at Pont du Gard which means you would have around 2 - 3 hours for Avignon. Of course you need to plan on getting back to Marseille about 1 1/2 hours early. Its a busy day and you might have to adjust your times in both places to make it work.

Hank

I thought about renting a car in Marseille and ran into two problems. The first was logistics in getting to a rental car agency and the second was getting a reasonable price for a car with automatic transmission. After I thought about the price of the rental, the extra insurance on my travel guard plan, and drop off logistics, parking, etc., it approached the cost of a private tour and I opted for a tour with a licensed guide with Provence Tours for €420. It's a big expense. But I am only counting on getting to Provence once in my lifetime and want to maximize my time and experience. We'll see Pont du Gard, Arles, and Les Baux. This port was a tough challenge.

Archived