Help with Newark to NYC transportation

aloha43

Help....

At the end of our cruise, I would like to stay near the Newark airport and have RCL deliver our luggage there (Is that possible?). If we can do that, then we will be free of luggage to take a quick jaunt into NY to see the Empire State Building and the Intrepid.

My husband is VERY phobic about cities and I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to get him onto public a bus or the subway . (He has already said no.)

Is it possible to take a cab all the way to the ESB and the Intrepid, have them wait for us, and then take us back to the Newark hotel? Is there any kind of private tour? Approximate cost? I am willing to pay quite a bit more because we probably won't make it into NYC otherwise.

So, obviously, I am looking for the quickest, easiest way to see the some of the city.:):)

Help....

At the end of our cruise, I would like to stay near the Newark airport and have RCL deliver our luggage there (Is that possible?). If we can do that, then we will be free of luggage to take a quick jaunt into NY to see the Empire State Building and the Intrepid.

My husband is VERY phobic about cities and I'm pretty sure that I won't be able to get him onto public a bus or the subway . (He has already said no.)

Is it possible to take a cab all the way to the ESB and the Intrepid, have them wait for us, and then take us back to the Newark hotel? Is there any kind of private tour? Approximate cost? I am willing to pay quite a bit more because we probably won't make it into NYC otherwise.

So, obviously, I am looking for the quickest, easiest way to see the some of the city.:):)

Deliver your luggage???? No way unless you book an RCCL hotel (and pay twice the price for a hotel room).

Best Option, IMHO.

Call one of the MANY car services listed in this forum. Dial 7, Carmel, Arecibo, etc., etc.

Leave the ship and take your luggage with you in the trunk. Probably cost you about $350-into and out of NYC from the port and 3 hours waiting/touring time. Will take about an hour each way into the City. Make your own deal-may be cheaper.

Deliver your luggage???? No way unless you book an RCCL hotel (and pay twice the price for a hotel room).

Best Option, IMHO.

Call one of the MANY car services listed in this forum. Dial 7, Carmel, Arecibo, etc., etc.

Leave the ship and take your luggage with you in the trunk. Probably cost you about $350-into and out of NYC from the port and 3 hours waiting/touring time. Will take about an hour each way into the City. Make your own deal-may be cheaper.

I had heard from someone that RCL would deliver the bags....I just wasn't sure of how. Now I know that isn't an option.

And WOW. $350 is a lot. We will have to re-think this one. I had know idea that it would be that much.

I don't know where in this forum to find the many car services, can you tell me how or where?

Thanks a bunch.

I had heard from someone that RCL would deliver the bags....I just wasn't sure of how. Now I know that isn't an option.

And WOW. $350 is a lot. We will have to re-think this one. I had know idea that it would be that much.

I don't know where in this forum to find the many car services, can you tell me how or where?

Thanks a bunch.

Do a search on this forum for "car service". Also see this website written by one of the frequent posters on this forum http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com/. Car services, hotels, restaurants, sightseeing, shopping, etc.

NJ taxis DO NOT have to take you into Manhattan for sightseeing. Has to do with State laws about crossing State lines and Public conveyances. So you have to negotiate to even get a NJ cab to take you. They normally charge between $75-100 EACH WAY. NJ taxis are NOT allowed to pick up NYC passengers, so you are essentially paying for both ways PLUS tolls both ways. Due to the time involved with taking someone into NYC, local cab drivers would rather have 3 short haul local fares in the same time as going into the City. They make more money.

Figure $150.00 MINIMUM for transport. Then about $50.00 per hour waiting time and driving you around the City. So $300.00 MINIMUM. One reason I recommended a car service-they MAY quote you a flat rate, which MAY be SLIGHTLY cheaper.

You MAY be able to get Super Shuttle NJ to take you from the airport into Manhattan a lot cheaper. But you will be stuck with your luggage, UNLESS you check into your hotel or drop off your luggage if it is too early to check in. Luggage drop off will have to be done in a cab, so $50.00 from the port to your hotel + Super Shuttle both ways + taxi in and around the City. You will have to make arrangements with Super Shuttle, NYC to get you back to the Newark airport. You won't have a car waiting for you. Good luck and Enjoy!!!

Help....

Why do you want to stay near Newark if you want to sightsee in Manhattan? Unless you have a 5AM flight or a 10PM one, I'd stay in Manhattan.

Any sort of money you are trying to save by staying in Newark will be quickly eaten up by transportation costs.

Go to www.Hotwire.com and search for Midtown Manhattan hotels, find a price you can live with and bid for them. Both the Empire State Building and the Intrepid and convenient to Midtown.

Why do you want to stay near Newark if you want to sightsee in Manhattan? Unless you have a 5AM flight or a 10PM one, I'd stay in Manhattan.

Any sort of money you are trying to save by staying in Newark will be quickly eaten up by transportation costs.

Go to www.Hotwire.com and search for Midtown Manhattan hotels, find a price you can live with and bid for them. Both the Empire State Building and the Intrepid and convenient to Midtown.

We use United miles and the only non stop flights leave at 6:30am, so we were planning to stay at or near EWR. The only way we will be comfortable is if we stay near our departing airport the night before, especially if we have to fly out that early.

I didn't even think we would have the option to go into Manhattan until we realized how early that flight leaves and would have stay another night.

This is starting be more of a difficult task then I thought it would be. Who would think.....NYC is only 16 miles away, but so hard and so expensive to get there.

It reminds me of a road trip we took 2 years ago. We were only a half hour from Yellowstone National Park, yet we didn't have the time to go see it.

It just seems so hard to think that I'm flying all the way from California, only to be that close to NYC and not take part, and it may be the only chance to see it.

I'll do my best to find some way to do this, but if I can't I won't fret it, because the purpose of this trip is the cruise. As long as we can enjoy that, nothing else matters. :D:D

Do a search on this forum for "car service". Also see this website written by one of the frequent posters on this forum http://mojitomegcapeliberty.blogspot.com/. Car services, hotels, restaurants, sightseeing, shopping, etc.

NJ taxis DO NOT have to take you into Manhattan for sightseeing. Has to do with State laws about crossing State lines and Public conveyances. So you have to negotiate to even get a NJ cab to take you. They normally charge between $75-100 EACH WAY. NJ taxis are NOT allowed to pick up NYC passengers, so you are essentially paying for both ways PLUS tolls both ways. Due to the time involved with taking someone into NYC, local cab drivers would rather have 3 short haul local fares in the same time as going into the City. They make more money.

Figure $150.00 MINIMUM for transport. Then about $50.00 per hour waiting time and driving you around the City. So $300.00 MINIMUM. One reason I recommended a car service-they MAY quote you a flat rate, which MAY be SLIGHTLY cheaper.

You MAY be able to get Super Shuttle NJ to take you from the airport into Manhattan a lot cheaper. But you will be stuck with your luggage, UNLESS you check into your hotel or drop off your luggage if it is too early to check in. Luggage drop off will have to be done in a cab, so $50.00 from the port to your hotel + Super Shuttle both ways + taxi in and around the City. You will have to make arrangements with Super Shuttle, NYC to get you back to the Newark airport. You won't have a car waiting for you. Good luck and Enjoy!!!

Thank you for your information....that helps me to know how things work there.

If I figure something out, I'll let everyone know!:)

I know you want to go into NY, but in case that doesn't work out, you might want to check out going to the Statue of Liberty from Liberty State Park in Jersey City. This would be a boat, not a bus or train. It goes to Ellis Island and Liberty Island. You could arrange for a car service that would take you and your bags to the hotel and then to Liberty State Park. You could also arrange a pickup to return to your hotel. It would still cost some money, but not the megabucks of a New York tour.

We use United miles and the only non stop flights leave at 6:30am, so we were planning to stay at or near EWR. The only way we will be comfortable is if we stay near our departing airport the night before, especially if we have to fly out that early.

I didn't even think we would have the option to go into Manhattan until we realized how early that flight leaves and would have stay another night.

This is starting be more of a difficult task then I thought it would be. Who would think.....NYC is only 16 miles away, but so hard and so expensive to get there.

It reminds me of a road trip we took 2 years ago. We were only a half hour from Yellowstone National Park, yet we didn't have the time to go see it.

It just seems so hard to think that I'm flying all the way from California, only to be that close to NYC and not take part, and it may be the only chance to see it.

I'll do my best to find some way to do this, but if I can't I won't fret it, because the purpose of this trip is the cruise. As long as we can enjoy that, nothing else matters. :D:D

You have a few options:

1. $50 taxi fare from the port to a Newark Hotel, $38 x 2 ($19.00pp x 4) for Super Shuttle BOTH ways in and out of NYC. Super Shuttle will drop you off at Times Square. You can make your way around NYC in a taxi for about $25.00. Total cost-$126.00 + taxi around NYC

2. Use a car service-Expensive as you already know

3. Change your airline tickets to a later evening flight out of either of the NYC airports. There are a couple of United nonstop flights that leave between 4-7PM into the Bay area. Then you could get off the ship, go into NYC via Super Shuttle, spend the night in NYC and take a $30-45 taxi ride to a NYC airport (JFK/LGA)

4. Kind of selfish and not the most fun, but go by yourself on the PATH train and leave hubby in the Newark hotel.

hi...meg here....

OK....well....i would hop in a cab....go over to my hotel (you will most likely be off the ship by 10...we would have been off by 9-9:30...long story...i was returning the wheelchair i had to get when mom broke her foot)...dump your stuff, even if the room isn't ready....take the hotel airport shuttle BACK to the EWR airport rail station and hop on NJ transit to New York Penn Station...(it is cheaper to go from the DT newark station but unless the hotel will take you there, you have to pay for a cab!)

then do what you want in NY....and come back to the airport station, take the monorail back to stop P4 and get your shuttle.

www.njtransit.com

OR go to the dt Newark station and hop the PATH train (cheaper!) and go from there....(i have only taken PATH into Jersey City and the old WTC stop so i am not sure where else it goes...i THINK up to 34th-ish street/

www.panynj.com will give you airport info AND PATH train info.....

cab from the pier to an EWR area hotel is between 40-50 bucks MAX (plus tip and maybe tolls...the rates are more or less flat....if it is over 50 bucks it is too much. we just paid 42 plus tip a couple weeks ago!)

hth,,,if not, ask away some more....BTW you are too early too book a room for 2010..iirc youcruise in feb, so you should be able to book around march of 2009~300 days out.

You have a few options:

3. Change your airline tickets to a later evening flight out of either of the NYC airports. There are a couple of United nonstop flights that leave between 4-7PM into the Bay area. Then you could get off the ship, go into NYC via Super Shuttle, spend the night in NYC and take a $30-45 taxi ride to a NYC airport (JFK/LGA)

I think you will really regret not doing the above.

Even if the point is to go on the cruise, NYC is a hundred times more exciting and wonderful than any cruise ship stop.

hi...meg here....

OK....well....i would hop in a cab....go over to my hotel (you will most likely be off the ship by 10...we would have been off by 9-9:30...long story...i was returning the wheelchair i had to get when mom broke her foot)...dump your stuff, even if the room isn't ready....take the hotel airport shuttle BACK to the EWR airport rail station and hop on NJ transit to New York Penn Station...(it is cheaper to go from the DT newark station but unless the hotel will take you there, you have to pay for a cab!)

then do what you want in NY....and come back to the airport station, take the monorail back to stop P4 and get your shuttle.

www.njtransit.com

OR go to the dt Newark station and hop the PATH train (cheaper!) and go from there....(i have only taken PATH into Jersey City and the old WTC stop so i am not sure where else it goes...i THINK up to 34th-ish street/

www.panynj.com will give you airport info AND PATH train info.....

cab from the pier to an EWR area hotel is between 40-50 bucks MAX (plus tip and maybe tolls...the rates are more or less flat....if it is over 50 bucks it is too much. we just paid 42 plus tip a couple weeks ago!)

hth,,,if not, ask away some more....BTW you are too early too book a room for 2010..iirc youcruise in feb, so you should be able to book around march of 2009~300 days out.

Meg,

Great suggestions but reread the OP's post. NO public transport-hubby is phobic. So a very expensive trip into the City.

4. Kind of selfish and not the most fun, but go by yourself on the PATH train and leave hubby in the Newark hotel.

There is no way that will happen. :)

We are attached at the hip. All for one and one for all. We don't want to do anything apart from each other...we've been married almost 21 years and that has never changed. And I would be too chicken to go it alone in a big city.

Thanks so much for your ideas!

I think you will really regret not doing the above.

Even if the point is to go on the cruise, NYC is a hundred times more exciting and wonderful than any cruise ship stop.

Funny, I have really never had a desire to see New York until now. No offense, I just don't like cities.

But now that we will be so close, we will figure out a way, because now that I have been researching NY, I really want to see a few things.:)

Maybe we will fly into Newark, and fly out of NY...depending on what is available with miles.

Or, if it comes to it....pay an arm and a leg.:D

Meg,

Great suggestions but reread the OP's post. NO public transport-hubby is phobic. So a very expensive trip into the City.

:o:confused: DUH!! ok...considering that i was literally falling asleep with the laptop ON my lap.....(but i was thinking maybe a regular train would be less phobia-inducing!!)

SO....i would try for greatam's option # 3! it's funny though, i feel safer in NYC than i do in trenton (my hometown more or less), philly and DC..i fact i would rather be in ANY of those cities than trenton!

good luck with whatever you decide...and have a great trip!

Funny, I have really never had a desire to see New York until now. No offense, I just don't like cities.

But now that we will be so close, we will figure out a way, because now that I have been researching NY, I really want to see a few things.:)

Maybe we will fly into Newark, and fly out of NY...depending on what is available with miles.

Or, if it comes to it....pay an arm and a leg.:D

You can take a cab from EWR to Ferry at Paulus Hook in Jersey City (right across the water from Manhattan). The cab fare will be about $50 each way.

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/new-york/Newark-Airport,-USA/jersey-city,-NJ,-USA

The Ferry (about $5.00 a person each way) can take you to either the World Financial Center downtown or the West Side between the Intrepid and the Javitz Center.

You can take a cab from EWR to Ferry at Paulus Hook in Jersey City (right across the water from Manhattan). The cab fare will be about $50 each way.

http://www.worldtaximeter.com/new-york/Newark-Airport,-USA/jersey-city,-NJ,-USA

The Ferry (about $5.00 a person each way) can take you to either the World Financial Center downtown or the West Side between the Intrepid and the Javitz Center.

So, it looks like, according to the taximeter you gave:

Port to EWR hotel-luggage....$50.00

EWR hotel to ESB................$50.00

ESB to Intrepid....................$12.00

Intrepid to EWR hotel...........$50.00

Are these taxi prices per person?

That isn't so bad considering I just got an email back from Onboard New York tours that quoted about $800 for about 6 hours, depending on the number of passengers. Ouch.

Thanks for the help! That taximeter is great!:D

So, it looks like, according to the taximeter you gave:

Port to EWR hotel-luggage....$50.00

EWR hotel to ESB................$50.00

ESB to Intrepid....................$12.00

Intrepid to EWR hotel...........$50.00

Are these taxi prices per person?

That isn't so bad considering I just got an email back from Onboard New York tours that quoted about $800 for about 6 hours, depending on the number of passengers. Ouch.

Thanks for the help! That taximeter is great!:D

The taximeter is VERY deceiving.

1. First off, the "taxi" companies listed are all CAR SERVICES. Not a true taxi company among them. So more than likely, this is a "sponsored" site, with OBVIOUS preference given to those sponsors. It is also a FOREIGN website, as mileage is posted in KM. And waiting time is posted for 3AM in the morning. 5 min waiting time is simply UNREALISTIC anyplace in the Newark/NYC corridor.

2. Tolls are NOT included in the posted fares.

3. The EXAMPLE is into Jersey City, NJ. Somehow the website connects Jersey City NJ with NYC. While they are just across the river from each other, they are two separate cities in two separate states. When you input Empire State Bldg, you get a blurb that the website does not know where it is. "This may be due to the fact that the address is relatively new, or it may be incorrect.". The Empire State Bldg is on the list of "touristy places" and clicking on it puts it into the quote form. Very suspect and deceiving website.

4. The REAL BIGGIE-"Outside the city, other than flat fare destinations and Newark Airport, meter rates are doubled (when going to Westchester or Nassau County)." INCLUDES NJ, EXCEPT for the airport.

Airport hotels DO NOT count as NEWARK airport. And both NJ and NYC taxi drivers DO NOT have to take you into/out of the city any place OTHER than the airport. So you realistically have to NEGOTIATE with a cab driver to take you into the City. If you ask the hotel front desk to get you a cab, PLAN ON a minimum of $75.00 EACH WAY (and often more, as they bill it to the front desk on vouchers frequently).

As almost everyone on this board can tell you, IF you can get a cab from the Newark airport AREA into Manhattan for $50.00 for ALL fees, better sign up for the franchise. You would have people standing in line to ride in your cabs. NEVER an empty cab at that rate. You would be ROLLING in the dough. $60-75 is a MUCH more realistic fare and what most people pay, depending on route into City and traffic. Getting back out of the City in a cab will provide problems. You would have to hail a cab and THEN NEGOTIATE to get the driver to go into NJ, OTHER than the airport.

What was wrong with the Super Shuttle idea? $38.00 for two both ways=$76.00. $50 from the port to the hotel to drop off luggage. Most likely about $25.00 for cab fares around the City. About $150.00 for two RT. Then you can get on one of the hop on/hop off tours or just go see the ESB and the Intrepid.

IMHO, THE BEST of the NYC tours is the Grayline "In a NY minute tour" . You get the Statue of Liberty cruise (which is really good), the Empire State Bldg, The World Trade Center and other NYC sites. You would still have to take a cab to the Intrepid. Take my new employees on that trip frequently.

https://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/booking.asp?action=ProductDetail&SEE=1&productId=2980

I think what Buzzor is suggesting is to take a cab with your luggage to the hotel and then take a cab to the ferry at Paulus Hook (Jersey City) in NJ. Then take the $5 ferry to NYC. Then take a cab to ESB and a cab to the Intrepid. $50 is not going to get you a cab from EWR to ESB or the Intrepid. It sounds like you can easily walk from the Intrepid to the ferry, so back to NJ and get a cab to EWR. What day of the week would you be doing this? You need to be sure the ferries are running that day. I would also try to arrange a car service for the first leg of the trip to drop off the luggage and continue on to Jersey City.

Are you sure your husband won't consider taking the supershuttle bus? These are large over the road buses with luggage underneath and comfortable seats for everyone. They go from point A to point B without stops. They are nothing like the public transit buses that make many stops and have random people getting on and off. IMO I think you would be more comfortable and safe in a large bus than a cab.

Are you sure your husband won't consider taking the supershuttle bus? These are large over the road buses with luggage underneath and comfortable seats for everyone. They go from point A to point B without stops. They are nothing like the public transit buses that make many stops and have random people getting on and off. IMO I think you would be more comfortable and safe in a large bus than a cab.

Since when did SuperShuttle start running large buses??? Two of my employees took SuperShuttle last week from EWR area into Manhattan. It was definitely the blue/yellow, 8-10 passenger vans. Only 4 people on the shuttle into Manhattan.

The taximeter is VERY deceiving.

3. When you input Empire State Bldg, you get a blurb that the website does not know where it is. "This may be due to the fact that the address is relatively new, or it may be incorrect.". The Empire State Bldg is on the list of "touristy places" and clicking on it puts it into the quote form. Very suspect and deceiving website.

4. The REAL BIGGIE-"Outside the city, other than flat fare destinations and Newark Airport, meter rates are doubled (when going to Westchester or Nassau County)." INCLUDES NJ, EXCEPT for the airport.

Airport hotels DO NOT count as NEWARK airport. And both NJ and NYC taxi drivers DO NOT have to take you into/out of the city any place OTHER than the airport. So you realistically have to NEGOTIATE with a cab driver to take you into the City. If you ask the hotel front desk to get you a cab, PLAN ON a minimum of $75.00 EACH WAY (and often more, as they bill it to the front desk on vouchers frequently).

As almost everyone on this board can tell you, IF you can get a cab from the Newark airport AREA into Manhattan for $50.00 for ALL fees, better sign up for the franchise. You would have people standing in line to ride in your cabs. NEVER an empty cab at that rate. You would be ROLLING in the dough. $60-75 is a MUCH more realistic fare and what most people pay, depending on route into City and traffic. Getting back out of the City in a cab will provide problems. You would have to hail a cab and THEN NEGOTIATE to get the driver to go into NJ, OTHER than the airport.

What was wrong with the Super Shuttle idea? $38.00 for two both ways=$76.00. $50 from the port to the hotel to drop off luggage. Most likely about $25.00 for cab fares around the City. About $150.00 for two RT. Then you can get on one of the hop on/hop off tours or just go see the ESB and the Intrepid.

IMHO, THE BEST of the NYC tours is the Grayline "In a NY minute tour" . You get the Statue of Liberty cruise (which is really good), the Empire State Bldg, The World Trade Center and other NYC sites. You would still have to take a cab to the Intrepid. Take my new employees on that trip frequently.

https://www.coachusa.com/newyorksightseeing/booking.asp?action=ProductDetail&SEE=1&productId=2980

First....Thank you! I'll have to think twice about this one.

Regarding the search for the taxi website....I was able to get around the awful choices in their drop down menu by just manually entering the addresses needed. But if this is a misleading website, then that doesn't matter. :)

Regarding the airport hotels not counting as airport. What about the Marriott Airport Hotel that is IN the airport? That is the one I mean when I say Port to EWR. Since I have no idea of this area, it can be very confusing.:confused:

I'll check out the super shuttle and grayline ideas and see what I can do there.

I am soooo glad that I have people like you on Cruise Critic to help me with this! I have always done my own research and bookings on our trips, but we usually go to Hawaii and I know the ropes there.

The last time we cruised, we flew into Miami and rented a limo to get us from MIA to FLL. Since there was 6 of us, splitting the cost of the limo was close to the cost of renting taxi's. It only came out to about $50 each round trip.

I received an answer back from Lincoln Limos yesterday that quoted $40 an hour plus 20% gratuity for a towncar. They didn't mention extra tolls, so I guess I need to call them and find out EXACTLY what they charge.

Does anyone here know of Lincoln Limos?

Greatam - that's good to know about super shuttle. As you can tell, I've never taken it. The last airport bus I took to a NY airport was a real bus. The point I was trying to make to the OP was that the airport to NY bus is not like getting on a public bus in NYC, so perhaps her husband would feel differently about it. Maybe sharing a van with a few people would be even better for him.

The Newark airport Marriott website says that they have a shuttle that picks up at the terminals. This may be unusual for EWR because for many hotels you must take the monorail to P4 in order to get a hotel shuttle. So if you take a cab to the airport to get the fixed price, you will also have to take a shuttle or the monorail and a shuttle to the hotel. Of course, you could just take another cab to the Marriott, but if you're going to spend money to do that, you could stay at any hotel in the airport area.

Greatam - that's good to know about super shuttle. As you can tell, I've never taken it. The last airport bus I took to a NY airport was a real bus. The point I was trying to make to the OP was that the airport to NY bus is not like getting on a public bus in NYC, so perhaps her husband would feel differently about it. Maybe sharing a van with a few people would be even better for him.

Oh, I thought they had something new or something strictly East Coast. AFAIK, since Super Shuttle started (maybe 25-30 years ago on the West Coast), they have always had 8-10 passenger blue vans. They were very late getting to the East Coast-maybe only 10-12 years ago. Quick, easy, relatively cheap transport IF you don't mind going around the airport sometimes NUMEROUS times to pick up other passengers. They base their fares on XXX passengers. IF there are only a couple in the van, they circle airports/hotels HOPING to get more passengers. One time, I was going from LAX to Disneyland to meet one of my trucks. We went around LAX 11 times BEFORE the driver was given permission to leave LAX with just me. My employees a couple of weeks ago stated they went around EWR 4 times before they headed to Manhattan.

Nothing wrong with Super Shuttle. You are definitely making a time/cost trade off. So if you have more time than money, a good alternative. In fact, a very decent alternative.

The Newark airport Marriott website says that they have a shuttle that picks up at the terminals. This may be unusual for EWR because for many hotels you must take the monorail to P4 in order to get a hotel shuttle. So if you take a cab to the airport to get the fixed price, you will also have to take a shuttle or the monorail and a shuttle to the hotel. Of course, you could just take another cab to the Marriott, but if you're going to spend money to do that, you could stay at any hotel in the airport area.

The shuttles used to go around and around and pick up at each terminal Whether they still do, I don't know. Don't stay at any Marriott's anymore. I smoke and they have a total facility no smoking policy. PLUS they have NO food choices at the Airport Marriott unless you want overpriced deli food in the bar. The steakhouse is HORRIBLE. Without a car, you are CAPTURED.

First....Thank you! I'll have to think twice about this one.

Regarding the search for the taxi website....I was able to get around the awful choices in their drop down menu by just manually entering the addresses needed. But if this is a misleading website, then that doesn't matter. :)

IMHO, good for a "guesstimation" only. NOT for a TRUE reading of taxi costs. They underestimated A LOT of things.

Regarding the airport hotels not counting as airport. What about the Marriott Airport Hotel that is IN the airport? That is the one I mean when I say Port to EWR. Since I have no idea of this area, it can be very confusing.:confused:

Marriott is N/NW of the airport, not IN the airport as some hotels are IN the airport (meaning you can walk from the baggage claim/terminal into the hotel). AND the food choices in the Marriott SUCK, IMHO. Overpriced, crappy deli food in the bar and the steakhouse is HORRIBLE (last time I was in there 6 months ago). There is NOTHING else around. You will be far better off staying around Glimcher Realty Way, where there are three or four hotels, diners, food court in the mall. Some of those hotels have airport pickup, so you can take taxis to/from NYC to the airport and repeatedly ride the hotel shuttle.

I received an answer back from Lincoln Limos yesterday that quoted $40 an hour plus 20% gratuity for a towncar. They didn't mention extra tolls, so I guess I need to call them and find out EXACTLY what they charge.

Does anyone here know of Lincoln Limos?

Don't know who Lincoln Limos is, but the price is about right in the ballpark. Cheaper than a taxi/driver for 8 hours and about what I posted originally. Have you check Dial 7 OR Secaucus Taxi???? I bet Secaucus taxi would like a full day run (I have recently become acquainted with the owner).

If you are looking for cheaper and dont' want public transport, Super Shuttle from EWR to Manhattan and return. It will DEFINITELY be the cheapest without being on a bus or train with lots of other people.

I would still just book an open jaw ticket-into EWR, out of JFK/LGA (although LGA is cheaper for transport from Manhattan). Spend the night in NYC after your cruise. Enjoy the day, fly home the next evening. BEST plan, IMHO, and if you book early enough, should have NO problem getting the flights on award ticket. I do this stuff (logistics planning) for a living. This would be my preferred plan-the least hassle, the least expense. And you can generally get a 4* Priceline hotel for $200 or slightly more. You are IN the action, not just a passerby. Enjoy!!!!

Good luck.

Archived