Has Celebrity Changed???

mrtractor

My husband no longer wears a tie and shirt. He opts for a mock turtle neck black or silver thin silk pullover under a jacket. That looks great and he is totally comfortable. We usually travel HAL which I believe is similar to Celebrity which we will take tomorrow.

Just FYI - both gents and ladies can RENT formal wear aboard most Celebrity ships. There's a link on the =X= web site; you input your measurements, select your styles, and the attire is waiting in your cabin when you arrive. Should a 'misfit' occur, there is backstock aboard from which you can change out anything that doesn't 'suit.'

It's a good idea to try your rented gear on right away and make any necessary exchanges ASAP.

(That's how we manage formal wear for our 3 nephews when cruising!)

True, Burgerlady.

I think most cruise lines rent formal wear nowadays. But did I mention I'm trying to do this on the cheap? Renting formal wear would cost me about half of what I paid for the cruise. And I hate to rent a tux when I have two of them hanging in the closet at home. And about 10 different cummerbund/tie/vest sets.

But thanks for the suggestion, Burgerbits. Hey, how did you get the name Burgerbits, anyway? Do you own a burger joint?

MrTractor<--------isn't poor, just cheap......:o..........

We have rented a tux on both of our Celebrity cruises. It's always waiting for my DH in our cabin and comes with two shirts. Of course, we love the dress up nights though. We don't get a chance to do that much anymore in our real life. Then he just puts everything back in the bag and we leave it. It's worked out great and it is so much easier than trying to pack one! It's less than $100 but I guess if you only paid $200 for your whole cruise it wouldn't be worth it. :rolleyes:

I've followed this thread with interest. I'm also an NCL fan, but am considering Celebrity due to the new restricted smoking policy and the variety of itineraries.

Anyway, here is my understanding of the DINING situation on Celebrity. Please straighten me out if any of this is substantially incorrect:

1) Dockers and polos shirts are acceptable men's attire in any dining venue at any time EXCEPT in the main dining room (MDR) on formal nights.

2) During dinner hours the MDR functions in a traditional assigned time/assigned seat format. There is no option for open seating or flexible scheduling in the MDR for dinner.

3) Alternatives to dinner in the MDR include room service with a reasonably full menu and the casual dining area with a limited menu. There might be additional options.

4) There is no smoking permitted at any time in any of the aforementioned dining areas.

Does that about cover it? Thanks for confirmation!

I've followed this thread with interest. I'm also an NCL fan, but am considering Celebrity due to the new restricted smoking policy and the variety of itineraries.

Anyway, here is my understanding of the DINING situation on Celebrity. Please straighten me out if any of this is substantially incorrect:

1) Dockers and polos shirts are acceptable men's attire in any dining venue at any time EXCEPT in the main dining room (MDR) on formal nights.

Although folk here would like it not to be true, and prefer more formal all the time (no Not me)

2) During dinner hours the MDR functions in a traditional assigned time/assigned seat format. There is no option for open seating or flexible scheduling in the MDR for dinner.

Correct

3) Alternatives to dinner in the MDR include room service with a reasonably full menu and the casual dining area with a limited menu. There might be additional options.

Correct, also room service

4) There is no smoking permitted at any time in any of the aforementioned dining areas.

And many (most) other places on ship...as in your cabin or balcony (yeah!)

Does that about cover it? Thanks for confirmation!

Hi (Had to put SOMETHING else down or it wouldn't accept my post as it was included in YOUR quote)

mtwingcpa,

Were you saying you liked the new smoking policies on NCL or you didn't line them?

I'm OK with the traditional dining arrangement. In fact, I think it has real benefits. But it seems like there is an effort to show me how easy it is to rent formal wear. But not much effort to explain to me how I can avoid formal night and still be polite to my table mates and feel comfortable on the ship in resort casual dress on formal night.

I am getting the impression that there two camps on Celebrity.......

1) Those that have traditional attitudes about formal night on Celbrity. They think that if it's formal night and it's Celebrity, you should be dressed in formal attire. All night.

2) Then there are the less traditional types who think that the industry and people are changing- that Celebrity should accomodate folks on a short 5 day cruise in warm weather to ports like Jamaica and Cayman. They think that maybe a lot of folks who enjoy Celebrity's classy ships, great food and service don't necessarily want to drag dressy clothes along with them just for one night.

Am I on track here? Where do folks like me that don't mind dressing, but are looking for a nice relaxing break from winter without carrying a bunch of suitcases fit in?

I'm OK with the program as long as I know what it is!! (Just trying to plan properly!!!)

MrTractor<-------is hoping to get the Ronco Pack-o-Matic Suitcase Compactor and Scale System for Christmas so he can pack as much as he can without going over 50 lbs!........:D.........

mtwingcpa, Were you saying you liked the new smoking policies on NCL or you didn't line them?

NCL's policy is great as far as it goes. But, since they still allow smoking in cabins and on balconies, non-smokers (like me) will still encounter smoke in hallways and on balconies. Celebrity's new policy should eliminate those problems.

But I understand that Celebrity allows smoking in some interior observation lounges. That concerns me.

But it seems like there is an effort to show me how easy it is to rent formal wear. But not much effort to explain to me how I can avoid formal night and still be polite to my table mates and feel comfortable on the ship in resort casual dress on formal night.

I get the same impression. I'm trying to figure whether I would be significantly short changing myself by just staying in my cabin on formal nights. I'm not much of a "night life" person anyway. :-)

I'm not really all that torqued up (tractor talk) about the smoking policy. As long as I'm not in a closed area with smokers puffing away, it really doesn't bother me that much. And I'm a reformed smoker (the worst kind). Then again, I can't stand to walk into a cabin or hotel room that reaks of smoke. Yechhchcccchhhh!!!

If your'e in an inside cabin on deck 4, who wants to eat in your room. I could stay home and order carryout and have a better time. And I AM a "night life person!"

MrTractor<-------just wants to get the full Celebrity experience and have a good time, too.........:cool:................

mtwingcpa,

Were you saying you liked the new smoking policies on NCL or you didn't line them?

I'm OK with the traditional dining arrangement. In fact, I think it has real benefits. But it seems like there is an effort to show me how easy it is to rent formal wear. But not much effort to explain to me how I can avoid formal night and still be polite to my table mates and feel comfortable on the ship in resort casual dress on formal night.

I am getting the impression that there two camps on Celebrity.......

1) Those that have traditional attitudes about formal night on Celbrity. They think that if it's formal night and it's Celebrity, you should be dressed in formal attire. All night.

2) Then there are the less traditional types who think that the industry and people are changing- that Celebrity should accomodate folks on a short 5 day cruise in warm weather to ports like Jamaica and Cayman. They think that maybe a lot of folks who enjoy Celebrity's classy ships, great food and service don't necessarily want to drag dressy clothes along with them just for one night.

Am I on track here? Where do folks like me that don't mind dressing, but are looking for a nice relaxing break from winter without carrying a bunch of suitcases fit in?

I'm OK with the program as long as I know what it is!! (Just trying to plan properly!!!)

MrTractor<-------is hoping to get the Ronco Pack-o-Matic Suitcase Compactor and Scale System for Christmas so he can pack as much as he can without going over 50 lbs!........:D.........

hmmm, I haven't cruised Celebrity yet (have one booked for next year) and so found this thread interesting. I think you got your answer, but you don't seem to be listening ;). pay the luggage fee and bring the tux / suit. you can be frugal on =X= ...but not cheap :)

Hi All--I am completely confused. If celebrity has a dress code and one does not like the dress code who in blazes forces one to pay Celeb and take a cruise . Go on a less formal line --Find another vacation--buy a hdtv--please do not shop at the supermsket that I shop at. We have many shoppers that either can not read or count as they go thru the express lane with full carts--then giggle when they beat the system--I live in casual Az--very few men ever wear jackets and neither do I--I follow the dress code both at home and when on vacation.---so I wear a black suit on formal night--and if you are at my table in slacks and a shirt on formal night I will ask to have my table changed --and I will avoid you as someone who believes that the stop sign applies to others Best of luck and enjoy your cruise.

Say! This is getting fun now!

I'd say that the prices I'm seeing (not hearing since I don't listen) are way past frugal. They're downright CHEAP! Less than what I can stay in a hotel room and eat three meals at a Denny's for. I almost can't afford to NOT go.

Yes, I'm pretty thick headed and sometimes I don't listen. (just ask my wife :rolleyes:). And I try to draw my own conclusions. But I hear some of you loud and clear. If I don't want to do formal.....

............book with another cruiseline or STAY HOME.

Don't get your panties in a bunch. I know that some of you think that this is "Summer Camp for Adults" and like everybody to live by the "Camp Rules." And I'm OK with that. I'm the one who does formal on NCL on the optional formal nights. Because I'm going for a week or more cruise and have to pack a couple of suitcases anyway. I've even talked to the fleet HD about having a designated dining room or area for "formal only" - the way it used to be when NCL first started Freestyle. I don't like it if I'm in a tux and somebody sits next to me in a "Co-Ed Naked (Insert your favorite sport or activity here) T-shirt and a pair of jeans. And I'm guessing they don't feel all that comfortable either. But that's not what we're talking about here.

I never said I would show up on formal night in a shirt and a pair of slacks. I simply wanted to know if not showing up to dinner that one night would hurt anyone's feelings. (Seems I got my answer - in the affirmative. There I go not listening and drawing conclusions :rolleyes:). And if I decided not to bring a tux to save packing space, if there were alternatives.

No one has actually come out and said that. Nobody, at least so far, has said you MUST wear formal on formal night. But I've heard a suggestion to pack another suitcase, pay extra for it on each leg of my journey and drag in all over Florida. Or book another line. Or stay home. Or go buy a television. I heard that loud and clear!

Just looking at their various dining options, I draw other conclusions. That it's OK to NOT do formal on Celebrity. If Celebrity were only formal, then why are they now offering several casual alternatives? Are these only for families with children? Do the kids have to wear tuxedos around the ship on formal night or stay in their rooms? HA! (I think kids look cute dressed up. Like little people. Wait. They ARE people! There I go jumping to conclusions again :rolleyes:).

Some others might be jumping to conclusions, too. I don't cut in line. I don't try to beat the system at other people's expense. But I don't always follow the crowd, either. And I don't think there's anything wrong with looking at things from different angles. How did I all of a sudden become the jerk that blocked your parking space or cut in front of you at the supermarket because I asked if Celebrity had viable casual alternative dining options? Please. Don't get me started. Really.

MrTractor<---------wants to know if he can he cut in front of you...... KIDDING!!!!!......:D.......

Calm down.....you DO NOT have to go formal if you don't want to. Just go up to deck 10 at the Alternative Restaurant for a lovely quiet meal, freshly made to order and enjoy the evening. (I think you need shirt and shoes:D)

I know of people that never go into the MDR.....they use the Alternative. Personally, I love the Alternative, and may try my own "dine around" on my next X cruise (TBA).

Hello,

I sailed on the Century three times last year ( all Caribbean cruises). By no means was everyone dressed "formally" on "formal night". While my husband enjoys wearing his tux, he was in the minority. For women, a dressy top w/ skirt or dress pants is fine. I have never worn a "gown", cocktail attire was far more prevelant. And like the other posters said, there are numerous alternatives.:D

The reason they have the alternative casual dinning option is for just that reason. Reportedly although I have not yet tried it, it’s very good and some prefer this to the MDR even on causal nights. The tables are covered with white linen and you are served from a menu that will not be the same as the MDR however. On the short Century sailings you will have a lot of company in this venue so make reservations in advance and there is a small $ 2.00pp gratuity charge.

As for the evening dress code for the ship on formal nights official Celebrity has changed it to “Smart Casual and above” outside of the MDR. Celebrity does request if you are participating in formal night activities that you remain in formal attire however.

If you are concerned above being seen in a lounge wearing causal attire on formal night, on these short sailings you will likely have company. It’s been a few years since I’ve seen those roving packs of tux clad gentlemen throwing causal offenders overboard.:eek: Last time I saw this happen the offender was picked up by a Carnival ship following us and reportedly he was the best dressed passenger aboard.;)

Relax and enjoy your cruise on the Century, it’s my favorite ship and I’ll soon be onboard as well. Between me and you, sometimes after dinner on a formal night if I’m not interested in the show I’ll change into my “not so smart causal and below” attire and sit on my very large veranda on the back of the ship, the one with the canvas cover, bar setup with wait staff, music and access to the buffet.:D

Enjoy your cruise!

Here's a response from the Captains Club on the dress code and Smart Casual in the lounges, bars etc. on Formal Night.

Dear Ms. XXXXXX:

Thank you for your email. We are happy to assist you.

We can advise you that onboard the ship besides the formal nights in the dining room you can wear what you would like. The only thing we ask that you do not wear in the dining room for dinner is jeans and shorts. The rest of the venues is up to you. Most of them are casual wear.

We do hope this is helpful information and look forward to seeing you onboard soon.

Some people are reporting that the dailies are asking you to stay dressed, my guess is they need to change the paragraph that they cut and paste in them regarding formal wear. There's far to many casual options aboard the new ships for this to be a realistic expectation.

Hi All--I am completely confused. If celebrity has a dress code and one does not like the dress code who in blazes forces one to pay Celeb and take a cruise . Go on a less formal line --Find another vacation--buy a hdtv--please do not shop at the supermsket that I shop at. We have many shoppers that either can not read or count as they go thru the express lane with full carts--then giggle when they beat the system--I live in casual Az--very few men ever wear jackets and neither do I--I follow the dress code both at home and when on vacation.---so I wear a black suit on formal night--and if you are at my table in slacks and a shirt on formal night I will ask to have my table changed --and I will avoid you as someone who believes that the stop sign applies to others Best of luck and enjoy your cruise.

Good perspective.

When we first cruised formal night was ONLY a tux. All other nights required a jacket, including tie ... or you didn't get into the dining room.

I like your express line analogy. Frosts me every time too.

Arizona? First time I was there (many moons ago) I left my tie (only half of it) to the waitress at Pinnacle Peak Patio (happy they didn't take my suit too). Never happened again.

In today's world I take a suit and tie for formal nights. Tux was retired a long time ago.

I think formal night should include a jacket and tie (if you must have a formal night). Let's hear it for Azamara, they've done away with formal night.

I think neat and clean (country club/business/casual) works for most, especially with todays airlines restrictions./

Slovenly dress, with baggy dungarees (when did they become jeans?), dirty tee shirts and baseball caps (even if they're on frontwards) have no place in the dining room.

That's really helpful, Cruisejunky!

So, does this mean I can wear my "Big Johnson" T-shirts to the dining room?

KIDDING!

Well, at least I'M KIDDING. That response from the Captain's Club doesn't say much about what people can wear. Just that they can't wear jeans and shorts. My wife is the best dressed woman in her community. I'm not saying that because I think so. Everyone says that. I've got her onboard with the "one suitcase rule" this time. So we may or may not be able to pull off formal night. After reading that response, I'm wondering if on the other nights if we'd be likely to see men in t-shirts and women in coulats and tank tops? That's not the Celebrity we're used to. Really.

For some reason, I'm having trouble understanding just what Celebrity's "niche" is in the cruise market. I always thought they were the more traditional, conservative, classy ships. We like that. It just might be difficult for us to pull all that together this year with the economic conditions, the airline restrictions and the "one suitcase rule!"

Just trying to get a feel for what we're in for on our next Celebrity cruise. Whenever that may be!!!

MrTractor<-----------is always looking for a bargain on a cruise and when he finds quality at a great price, it's hard to resist!.............:cool:...............

For some reason, I'm having trouble understanding just what Celebrity's "niche" is in the cruise market. I always thought they were the more traditional, conservative, classy ships. We like that. It just might be difficult for us to pull all that together this year with the economic conditions, the airline restrictions and the "one suitcase rule!"

I honestly don't think Celebrity knows what it's niche is right now. They did have one, but with the current economy and having to appeal to a broader base of passengers with their new ships coming on line, I do think their niche is becomming a bit of a grey area.

I, too, would love the option of finding alternatives to the sit-down thing, though not necessarily to avoid dresssing up. I am tired of the regimented approach to dining.

That said, I found on my first ( and probably last ) Celebrity cruise, that that they have a take-it-or-leave-it attiuted. The alternatives offered on Galaxy are just short of unacceptable.

My suggestion: stick to the other lines if you want any flexibility. If you want to stick to the two hour sit-down thing EVERY night, then Celebrity is for you ( even if you have to dress up for it ).

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy cruising Celebrity because I like to dine. There is a huge difference in eating your evening meal in twenty minutes, versus dining for two hours with your cruise companions new and old. Heck, it takes me ten or fifteen minutes just to figure out the wine list!

Archived