Seven day Sailings from Mobile

Cruzman

According to the local fish wrapper, the Carnival Fantasy will offer six 7 day sailings from Mobile in 2010. The itinerary will be Mobay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. These sailings will begin in the spring with 2 sailings, 2 in the summer, and 2 in the fall. I plan to be on at least one of those sailings!

According to the local fish wrapper, the Carnival Fantasy will offer six 7 day sailings from Mobile in 2010. The itinerary will be Mobay, Grand Cayman and Cozumel. These sailings will begin in the spring with 2 sailings, 2 in the summer, and 2 in the fall. I plan to be on at least one of those sailings!

Hope he's right. Has the local fish wrapper been accurate in his predictions before?

I'll cross my fingers and toes. Mobile is our closest port so here's hoping!!

I think the reference of "local fish wrapper" meant the local newspaper.:rolleyes:

http://www.al.com/business/press-register/index.ssf?/base/business/1229607932213030.xml&coll=3

According to Carnival, departure dates for the seven-day cruises are May 8 and 15, July 3 and 10, and Oct. 23 and 30. Spokesman Vance Gulliksen said the cruises are not open for reservations yet, but could be by Jan. 1.

Hope he's right. Has the local fish wrapper been accurate in his predictions before?

The local fish wrapper aka The Mobile Press Register, quoted Carnival sources. Here's the full story:

Thursday, December 18, 2008

By KAIJA WILKINSON

Business Reporter

Carnival Carnival Lines plans to add six temporary seven-day cruises from Mobile aboard the Fantasy starting in May 2010, the Miami-based cruise line confirmed Wednesday.

Local travel agent Steve Cape of Springdale Travel said he learned about the addition Wednesday morning when brochures arrived at the agency touting the trips, scheduled to stop in Montego Bay, Jamaica; Grand Cayman; and Cozumel. The brochures describe sailing and snorkeling in Jamaica and relaxing on Grand Cayman's seven-mile beach.

Carnival in August announced plans to replace the 1,452-passenger Holiday with the 2,052-passenger Fantasy starting in November 2009. At the time, Carnival's senior vice president of marketing, Terry Thornton, said the ship would initially have the same four- and five-day western Caribbean itinerary as the Holiday, with a one-time six-day trip and seven-day cruises starting later.

Holiday visits Cozumel and either Calica or Progreso, Yucatan.

Describing Mobile as "a terrific homeport," Thornton said during the August announcement that offering temporary, longer cruises is the standard way to build emerging cruise ports.

The Holiday has enjoyed consistently strong bookings since it arrived in Mobile in 2004, and cruise proponents have said that bodes well for the future of the Fantasy.

"This is great news for the city of Mobile," Cape said. "The people who have been on cruises on the Holiday will want to visit the new destinations." The expanded itinerary also should help win new cruise fans, he said.

According to Carnival, departure dates for the seven-day cruises are May 8 and 15, July 3 and 10, and Oct. 23 and 30. Spokesman Vance Gulliksen said the cruises are not open for reservations yet, but could be by Jan. 1. People may already book the four- and five-day trips that will be offered aboard the Fantasy, which represents a 40-percent upgrade in capacity over the Holiday.

The brochure said special discounted prices for the seven-day cruise start at $449 per person.

I think the reference of "local fish wrapper" meant the local newspaper.:rolleyes:

http://www.al.com/business/press-register/index.ssf?/base/business/1229607932213030.xml&coll=3

According to Carnival, departure dates for the seven-day cruises are May 8 and 15, July 3 and 10, and Oct. 23 and 30. Spokesman Vance Gulliksen said the cruises are not open for reservations yet, but could be by Jan. 1.

Thanks for the dates. May is out because school is still in. July is out because it is hurricane season. Looks like a Halloween cruise for us :D

Thanks for the dates. May is out because school is still in. July is out because it is hurricane season. Looks like a Halloween cruise for us :D

Early july is good. there have only been 9 years with a hurricane before august i think i just read.

Umm, Halloween is still in hurricane season. It goes til 11/30. And besides that, I have seen quite a few hurricanes that can't read a calendar. I know we had a couple since 2005 well into December and I think there may have even been one in January, but not positive.

Oct had one of the worst hurricanes recently in Floriday, if you are not doing hurricane season, it doesnt officially end now until the end of Nov.

.... i.e. hard to avoid.

Interesting news. I think 7 day cruises sell for more per day and would be a better source of revenue for Carnival, good move on their part.

Don't forget October is still hurricane season. Hurricane Noel disrupted a lot of Halloween cruises in 2007. Mostly eastern got disrupted, our western still had rocky seas for a few days even hundreds of miles from it. I actually like to sail in the fall, though. If there's a hurricane it will just add to the adventure. :rolleyes:

I must be clairvoyant. I pretty much announced this back on August 18, 08 on another thread (#78 I believe). http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=828265&page=4

Umm, Halloween is still in hurricane season. It goes til 11/30. And besides that, I have seen quite a few hurricanes that can't read a calendar. I know we had a couple since 2005 well into December and I think there may have even been one in January, but not positive.

Being from South Alabama I am hip!! However, I also know that the odds of there being a Halloween hurricane are much lower than there being a July storm. I'd be willing to risk it in late October. July--no way!! Of course, with global warming and all, I'd say that January is no longer safe. Sigh.

PPS we were 9 days without power IN KENTUCKY from Ike. I got the most wonderful birthday present EVER on 9/22/08--you guessed it--the power came back on!!!!

Being from South Alabama I am hip!! However, I also know that the odds of there being a Halloween hurricane are much lower than there being a July storm. I'd be willing to risk it in late October. July--no way!! Of course, with global warming and all, I'd say that January is no longer safe. Sigh.

PPS we were 9 days without power IN KENTUCKY from Ike. I got the most wonderful birthday present EVER on 9/22/08--you guessed it--the power came back on!!!!

Vanessa, I have to disagree with you on this one. It seems in my experience (also living on the Gulf Coast) that hurricane season is barely warmed up in July, but roaring at full capacity in September and October. If I had the spare time, I would do research that would plead my case, but alas, I have to work all day to feed my addiction . . .

Vanessa, I have to disagree with you on this one. It seems in my experience (also living on the Gulf Coast) that hurricane season is barely warmed up in July, but roaring at full capacity in September and October. If I had the spare time, I would do research that would plead my case, but alas, I have to work all day to feed my addiction . . .

Looking here:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastprofile.shtml#cp100

It seems that it is about an equal chance that you'd get a hurricane the first week of July or the first week of Nov. Again, I'm willing to risk it. Besides, it is just too danged hot in the Caribbean in July :eek:

I was just checking. I know when we sailed during Thanksgiving, one of the waiters said the Conquest might be coming back to New Orleans. I never know until the ship is sitting there LOL...they are constantly changing things it seems. As long as I have a ship leaving out of Mobile or NOLA, I'm good to go!

I understand your resistance to cruise during hurricane season, but only if you live in an area that could possibly put your home in danger. I would want to be at home to board up my house and posessions before the storm and them I'M OUTTA HERE! Being on a cruise during hurricane season only means the ship will maintain a safe distance from the storm, possibly changing ports, BIG DEAL. During the storm, put me on a ship where I can have great service with a smile, a cold drink and a hot meal, fresh water shower, and great entertainment instead of worrying about what was that noise, is the roof coming off? OMG, the power is out now, hurry honey, go get the generator, the food in the fridge is going bad. NO WAY! Give the comforts of a cruise any day, especially during a storm. And don't get me started after the storm without power! :D

FYI: Hurricane season is from June 1 thru November 30.

Having lost my car to Ike during my Conquest cruise, it was more adventure than I wanted lol. At least Im over the stress and can smile about it.

Ok, so I'd prefer to not have quite that much adventure. :p Some rough seas and changed ports I can handle.

I also have read that Triumph will be coming to NOLA starting November of 2009...the place where I read this also stated that the Triumph would offer 4-, 5- and 7-night cruises...how does this work? I know on Glory, passengers disembark on Saturday morning, while that afternoon the new passengers embark for their 7-night cruise... Does Carnival alternate between the 4 and 5 night schedule and just "lose" the scraggler days in between? From a business perspective, that doesn't sound like the norm.

You are correct, Triumph will be going out of NOLA starting November of 2009. Several couples of us booked for January 2010 months ago. :D Figure give the ship in a different port a few months to get it together. Belize and Roaton are fun ports.....VERY beautiful! :)

Happy cruising!

Kat

I understand your resistance to cruise during hurricane season, but only if you live in an area that could possibly put your home in danger. I would want to be at home to board up my house and posessions before the storm and them I'M OUTTA HERE! Being on a cruise during hurricane season only means the ship will maintain a safe distance from the storm, possibly changing ports, BIG DEAL. During the storm, put me on a ship where I can have great service with a smile, a cold drink and a hot meal, fresh water shower, and great entertainment instead of worrying about what was that noise, is the roof coming off? OMG, the power is out now, hurry honey, go get the generator, the food in the fridge is going bad. NO WAY! Give the comforts of a cruise any day, especially during a storm. And don't get me started after the storm without power! :D

FYI: Hurricane season is from June 1 thru November 30.

Having lived in South Alabama for 30 years I am well aware when hurricane season is. If you look at the charts of the website I posted, statistically speaking most storms in July head into the Gulf (northwest bound). Most storms in October head off across Cuba and into the Atlantic (northeast bound). Further, if you look at the overall history of storm formation over the last 100 years or so, it appears that there is just as much chance of a storm forming in early November as early to mid July. It's the statistical chance that the storm would head into the Gulf in July vs. not in November that makes the difference for me. Also, if you note, I didn't say, "I've officially booked the 10/30 trip out of Mobile." I just indicated that of all the dates, 10/30 looks the best for us based on the criteria I've noted. Now, if for some reason the 2009 hurricane season starts in February and it is sending one category 5 storm after the other into the Gulf right up until September 2009, there is no way I am booking the 10/30 cruise (we almost always cruise last minute--i.e. 30 days to less out). See how that works?? It's all good.

And don't get me wrong, I love cruising in rough seas, that's not the issue. I'm not one prone to getting seasick. I've just chosen to not cruise during hurricane season (which for me means that after say about 10/31 or so, I'm ok with taking the risk that it's ok to go vs. cruising in July-Sept) because I like the odds of actually making ports during that time of year. Yes, I'm aware of the actual dates of hurricane season. I've just always cruised late October thru March (though my very first cruise ever was in July 84) and never, ever had a problem. Do I KNOW the risk is there? Of course. I just like the odds that I get from late October thru March, though that may change depending on what climate changes are noted over the next 5-10 years. If it works out that the odds are just as high of getting a hurricane in December as August I may have to change my preferences. Fortunately, I don't have to do that just now (see my signature for the reason). You can certainly cruise when you like. That's what makes us all different :D

I also have read that Triumph will be coming to NOLA starting November of 2009...the place where I read this also stated that the Triumph would offer 4-, 5- and 7-night cruises...how does this work? I know on Glory, passengers disembark on Saturday morning, while that afternoon the new passengers embark for their 7-night cruise... Does Carnival alternate between the 4 and 5 night schedule and just "lose" the scraggler days in between? From a business perspective, that doesn't sound like the norm.

A rotation of 7, 7, 5, 4, and 5 nights makes a full "cycle" every 4 weeks.

Archived