Galveston cruises

tkportersat

Well, I am starting this thread out of my frustration with all cruiselines....with the new Bayport Terminal I was confident Texas cruisers would have more options, seems not to be the case. Norwegian, Princess don't appear to be returning and Royal Caribbean still has limited presence. Carnival, my cruiseline of choice continues the same itinerary. While I appreciate the Bahama addition, it always seems to be the opposite week of travel that I can take (For ex. our SB this year is March 8-15 so it is Jamaica, GC, Cozumel...next year they moved us back to March 15-19, again Jamaica, GC, Cozumel. Carnival...why not Costa Maya, Belize, Honduras, Santo Tomas de castilla, or more Bahamas, etc.???

Is anyone else frustrated???? I am guessing this Spring will be my last cruise for a while. I hate to sound spoiled as I feel lucky to cruise at all, but can't justify going to those same three ports anymore.

The cruises I have been on have always been full, mostly with Texans. I would so much rather drive than pay extra for flying. If other cruiselines came to Texas they would do well I think because most of us are just dying for something new.

Ok, I am done venting.....thanks for listening. :confused:

The current situation is kind of frustrating, but I have to think this way: I can't see the Port of Houston spending that much without something in mind. If the hurricane wouldn't have hit, I bet Port of Houston would have been aggressive getting business from Galveston and new business. If they take what Galveston has now, they would be seen as horrible, so they are probably now starting to talk about "new" ventures.

Just my opinion...

Why not book a cruise on the Triumph which will include Roatan. Iv been there twice and love that port. Triumph will be in New Orleans next Nov.

I dont understand not cruising because of the ports. (I have a LOT of booked cruises with a lot of variety). Im doing Voyager in april for the second time, the Roatan week, so will be my 3rd time there.

Houston will get a ship probably if the economy improves imo. In the meantime, Im not staying home, but thats me.

The cruises I have been on have always been full, mostly with Texans. I would so much rather drive than pay extra for flying. If other cruiselines came to Texas they would do well I think because most of us are just dying for something new. :confused:

Just for the record when RCL pulled out full time many many of us didnt just post, we contacted RCL and the upshot was the ships out of Texas, there isnt as much onboard spending. Has nothing to do with if the ships sail full, almost all ships sail full, but they track the average onboard spending and the spending per person was low.

Just for the record when RCL pulled out full time many many of us didnt just post, we contacted RCL and the upshot was the ships out of Texas, there isnt as much onboard spending. Has nothing to do with if the ships sail full, almost all ships sail full, but they track the average onboard spending and the spending per person was low.

It's all those Texans smuggling booze/beer and sharing soda cards - now we know why smuggling/sharing is bad for the rest of us. :eek: :D :rolleyes: Would y'all mind lighting toasting my popcorn with those flamethrowers? I'm off to get my diet coke.:D:p

Well, I have never not cruised based on ports either...but after 10 cruises things have gotten monotonous, so I would just like a change since it doesn't seem like we will get any new ships to explore for a while.

Voyager is nice but RC wouldn't honor the same deal that Carnival would and with the economy like it is (I am in banking and while I have a job, trying to be cautious) didn't want to spend too much. With Carnival I got $499 inside guarantee, but my PVP assigned the two cabins side by side for the guarantee price. RC refused even though their guarantee price was the same and the assigned cabin price was quite a jump.

Either way, I will cruise again. Just might wait until they bring new ships or new ports our way. Or try NO like you suggested.

Why not book a cruise on the Triumph which will include Roatan. Iv been there twice and love that port. Triumph will be in New Orleans next Nov.

I dont understand not cruising because of the ports. (I have a LOT of booked cruises with a lot of variety). Im doing Voyager in april for the second time, the Roatan week, so will be my 3rd time there.

Houston will get a ship probably if the economy improves imo. In the meantime, Im not staying home, but thats me.

I am innocent! I always buy my booze on board and each of my kids a soda card.....My on board tab is usually around $1200 for 3 of us (for a 7 day). I am more than contributing :D.

It's all those Texans smuggling booze/beer and sharing soda cards - now we know why smuggling/sharing is bad for the rest of us. :eek: :D :rolleyes: Would y'all mind lighting toasting my popcorn with those flamethrowers? I'm off to get my diet coke.:D:p

I lived in Oregon and Washington state for a while, but was too broke to even think of cruising in those days.......If flying was my only option I probably would have never cruised. I know we are lucky to be close to a port - believe me, but we went from 4-5 cruise lines to 1 full time and 1 that stays 4 months a year. I guess Texans don't spend enough money as firefly stated above.

I understand your frustration, but it's hard to muster up a whole lot of sympathy from those of us who don't live near a cruise port to begin with. For us airfare is ALWAYS involved. Try flying from Oregon to Florida.

Voyager is nice but RC wouldn't honor the same deal that Carnival would and with the economy like it is (I am in banking and while I have a job, trying to be cautious) didn't want to spend too much. With Carnival I got $499 inside guarantee, but my PVP assigned the two cabins side by side for the guarantee price. RC refused even though their guarantee price was the same and the assigned cabin price was quite a jump.

Either way, I will cruise again. Just might wait until they bring new ships or new ports our way. Or try NO like you suggested.

I think you are missing out, since I love Voyager. RCL is much better so far about changing guarantee cabins once they are assigned than Carnival is. But they say they are going to stop letting people pick their cabins, but so far have not enforced it.

I got a PR cabin with a window to the promenade next door to someone on my roll call this year, AND got a price drop to $449 (cheaper than I can go on Conquest). AND RCL is still allowing combining of OBC plus the TA is kicking in some, so I have $250 OBC on top of a price Carnival doesnt match. Plus I have $300 off for Visa card points. Carnival is more expensive except for once, last spring I did pay $499 for a inside guarantee on Voyager, but they gave me a OV for that price on Voyager.

I think you are cutting off your nose to spite your face on this one. If you havent tried Voyager, how can you complain so much about the lack of choices out of Galveston.

Did you look at my cruise history????????? I was on the Voyager last March...........and it went to Jamaica, GC and Cozumel.

I would have loved to go on the Voyager, but couldn't because of the price difference. The lady on the phone w/ RC said they couldn't guarantee my 2 cabins would be together and refused to give me assigned cabins (doesn't work, need room for boyfriend and I/one for teens). She said they didn't need to match what I had with Carnival, in not so many words saying they didn't need my repeat business. RC has people of Galveston exactly where they want them, they think because they have a captive audience they don't have to offer good customer service. That has been my experience with them, that is why you see more Carnival's below my name. My Carnival trips have ALWAYS been less expensive.

I have been on both ships......I did the Voyager itinerary on the Rhapsody.

I think you are missing out, since I love Voyager. RCL is much better so far about changing guarantee cabins once they are assigned than Carnival is. But they say they are going to stop letting people pick their cabins, but so far have not enforced it.

I got a PR cabin with a window to the promenade next door to someone on my roll call this year, AND got a price drop to $449 (cheaper than I can go on Conquest). AND RCL is still allowing combining of OBC plus the TA is kicking in some, so I have $250 OBC on top of a price Carnival doesnt match. Plus I have $300 off for Visa card points. Carnival is more expensive except for once, last spring I did pay $499 for a inside guarantee on Voyager, but they gave me a OV for that price on Voyager.

I think you are cutting off your nose to spite your face on this one. If you havent tried Voyager, how can you complain so much about the lack of choices out of Galveston.

I like to visit other ports as well as anyone, but I truly like to cruise - for the cruise itself.

The food, the sea, the time off, sleeping late, the spa, the people watching, the excitement, the glamour, the time to read, the fun drinks, the romance - ship life!:D

I often cruise the same ship and itinerary but that's because I like to cruise - not necessarily the ship itself or where the ship goes. :p

Did you look at my cruise history????????? I was on the Voyager last March...........and it went to Jamaica, GC and Cozumel.

I would have loved to go on the Voyager, but couldn't because of the price difference. The lady on the phone w/ RC said they couldn't guarantee my 2 cabins would be together and refused to give me assigned cabins (doesn't work, need room for boyfriend and I/one for teens). She said they didn't need to match what I had with Carnival, in not so many words saying they didn't need my repeat business. RC has people of Galveston exactly where they want them, they think because they have a captive audience they don't have to offer good customer service. That has been my experience with them, that is why you see more Carnival's below my name. My Carnival trips have ALWAYS been less expensive.

I have been on both ships......I did the Voyager itinerary on the Rhapsody.

No, as a matter of fact I can't SEE you signature. It sounded like you didnt like Voyager. I have ALL signatures blocked, just easier to read posts, sorry.

My RCL are often less expensive. I did Rhapsody Easter 2007 for $349.

My experience is the opposite of yours. Carnival is the one who wouldnt change your assignment on a guarantee, RCL has always been good about it. No, I agree they dont guarantee cabins side by side though. Sorry that was a deal breaker for you.

Iv been very happy so far with RCL and their customer service, more so than with Carnival.

Yeah, I pretty much felt the same way for the most part until my cruise on the Voyager last year. There was something missing from that cruise, I had lost my wide eyed excitement. So I took a break, I even stopped coming to this website hoping to get some of that back. I love being on the boat more than anything, just would like some new choices - that is all.

I like to visit other ports as well as anyone, but I truly like to cruise - for the cruise itself.

The food, the sea, the time off, sleeping late, the spa, the people watching, the excitement, the glamour, the time to read, the fun drinks, the romance - ship life!:D

I often cruise the same ship and itinerary but that's because I like to cruise - not necessarily the ship itself or where the ship goes. :p

Ah ok, didn't know you could do that. I am lacking in the computer smarts dept. I liked the Voyager ok, but not more so than the Conquest. My parents are RC diehards and we went with them.

I wish I had better things to say about RC, but even my mom who has done 8 with RC/2 with Carnival has soured on them. A lot of our experience w/ them since limiting their presence in Galveston has been poor.

I called my Carnival guy and told him I knew the $499 was for inside guar. but I needed two cabins side by side (because of my kids) and he said no problem at all, he would assign me two cabins right then and there at booking for the guarantee price. RC wouldn't budge (their guar. price was also $499 at the time), it was a dealbreaker because I can't take the chance of my kids being far away. I might note this is the first time I have booked two cabins, it has always just been my kids and I in a room in the past. So this is new territory for me.

I am glad you have had better luck w/ them than I have.

No, as a matter of fact I can't SEE you signature. It sounded like you didnt like Voyager. I have ALL signatures blocked, just easier to read posts, sorry.

My RCL are often less expensive. I did Rhapsody Easter 2007 for $349.

My experience is the opposite of yours. Carnival is the one who wouldnt change your assignment on a guarantee, RCL has always been good about it. No, I agree they dont guarantee cabins side by side though. Sorry that was a deal breaker for you.

Iv been very happy so far with RCL and their customer service, more so than with Carnival.

Kerry, I totally agree with you - it would be great to have more options. We are lucky we can drive to port, but I do miss the Grand Princess and Splendour, even though we had basically the same itineraries, the ships were different and that made it more exciting. I forgot, I also miss Rhapsody. In 2010 we are venturing out of Texas and flying to Florida to go on the Dream, so having that future trip planned is exciting for me. In the meantime, I just booked Ecstasy (again) for a cruise in February - and I am starting to get excited just thinking about getting away! I have to say, I got a great price on Ecstasy and we are getting a balcony - so, life is good! Let's just pray that Carnival doesn't bail on us. I think the economy in the Asian markets is way better than our's - and many of our ships are heading over there to make more $$$. That was the story we got when Splendour and Rhapsody left.

Hey I totally agree that the Cruise lines need to change ports around! IT does get quite boring......and new ships would be a great change as well!

I am surprised more cruise lines dont come to Texas, there has to be some reason?

I cant beleive the spending is less than any other ship....people still drink/shop and gamble....

I did NOT enjoy the VOS I found the food to be below average and the activites they supposedly offered, like ice skating, were NEVER OPEN! IT was a HUGE dissapointment and for the price difference it just is not worth it.

I DID however, LOVE The Rhapsody!!!

I cant wait for the day for any other cruiseline to show up in TEXAS!!;)

I'm from Texas as well...and would LOVE TO SEE MORE OPTIONS!!!! And I am hoping that some more will come around....we too have done the Jamaica, GC, Cozumel route...over and over. And...done the Conquest twice!

I think you have to keep in mind a little bit though...the geographic location. Its awfully hard to get the Conquest to the Eastern Caribbean and back in a week. But nonetheless...I do agree...how about Costa Maya...or ANYTHING different!!!

I'm sure in the end...its a money thing. It ALWAYS IS!!! Everything is. For the cruiselines...it comes down to the bottom line...and for the pax...it also...comes down to the bottom line!

I'm with you on the options. I could never find the deals on the Rhapsody everyone else found, so I never sailed her. Our May '04 cruise was almost on the Rhapsody, but we got a 6D cheaper than an OV on the lowest deck on Rhapsody, so we stuck with Carnival again (that and we were going for our anniversary and it was the ship we did our honeymoon on).

I would love to do the Voyager, but the prices I've seen have been outrageous.

I found a crazy deal for my first Princess cruise, and loved it so much I did it again - it was different without having to fly. Lately, as you can probably see, we're not sailing out of TX nearly as much as we used to - the ships and ports just aren't changing. I'll do the same ports on a different ship, or vice versa - but 2,3 times and I'm ready for something different. The only reason I have the Ecstasy booked is it's my brother's wedding. Otherwise, Oct 07 to April 10 are all sailing out of TX to different ports on different ships.

Galveston and NOLA are about equal distances from our place, but since I don't care for the Fantasy class (which is all NOLA has had for a few years), I choose the Conquest more often than any other ship. DH and I LOVE the Conquest! While it is nice to see different ports, I don't think we will ever get tired of Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica. Well, OK, we could possibly tire of Jamaica, but not the other two. Cozumel has such a huge variety of things to do that we'll never run out of interesting excursions there. We love Grand Cayman for the snorkeling. I DO wish the Conquest would go to some different western ports, but so far, no luck on that happening. We don't care for the Bahamas, so we aren't going to try Conquest's new route. So, after telling you that WE won't tire of the Conquest, I haven't helped YOU a bit, have I? Sorry about that.

Here's my advice to you. Make plans to try the Triumph out of NOLA. It does have a different itinerary from the Conquest, except that I believe they both go to Cozumel. Also, save up your money and drive or fly to FL. There are so many Carnival cruise options there that I know you will satisfy your thirst to see new ports. We've done this twice, and while we loved those cruises, we still come back to the Conquest. You do need to try some other ships and other itineraries, though. Give this some thought, while you keep hoping they'll bring new ships and new itineraries to Galveston. (We hope so, too, but we're not going to hold our breath till it happens.)

I would love to do the Voyager, but the prices I've seen have been outrageous..

Jan 11th on voyager is still $449 for a inside guarantee.

For several week RCL had the insides (except the holidays) for $499, $599 and $699 balconys and everyone on my april voyager cruise gave up their balconys and went back into the guarantee pool and they ALL got Ds, either D1 or D2 (the bigger balconys, Es are the smaller ones). i.e. bigger than a regular balcony on Carnival too.

My april date has dropped to $449 several times.

The low prices started early this year with RCL. All of us inside guarantees, everyone one of us, got a PR cabin, just what I would have wanted. Inside window to people watch.

Sure Id like Princess to come back, I did the Grand Princess too before she left. I would be cruising a lot more out of Galveston than I am.

Rumors that Houston was talking to NCL or MSC, neither of which Im too excited about.

Galveston and NOLA are about equal distances from our place, but since I don't care for the Fantasy class (which is all NOLA has had for a few years), I choose the Conquest more often than any other ship. DH and I LOVE the Conquest! While it is nice to see different ports, I don't think we will ever get tired of Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Jamaica. Well, OK, we could possibly tire of Jamaica, but not the other two. Cozumel has such a huge variety of things to do that we'll never run out of interesting excursions there. We love Grand Cayman for the snorkeling. I DO wish the Conquest would go to some different western ports, but so far, no luck on that happening. We don't care for the Bahamas, so we aren't going to try Conquest's new route. So, after telling you that WE won't tire of the Conquest, I haven't helped YOU a bit, have I? Sorry about that.

Here's my advice to you. Make plans to try the Triumph out of NOLA. It does have a different itinerary from the Conquest, except that I believe they both go to Cozumel. Also, save up your money and drive or fly to FL. There are so many Carnival cruise options there that I know you will satisfy your thirst to see new ports. We've done this twice, and while we loved those cruises, we still come back to the Conquest. You do need to try some other ships and other itineraries, though. Give this some thought, while you keep hoping they'll bring new ships and new itineraries to Galveston. (We hope so, too, but we're not going to hold our breath till it happens.)

Happy to read that you're so happy with the Conquest. I am sailing on her for the first time in March...actually the first time on a larger than Fantasy Class ship.

I lucked into a nice corner wrap, too!

I sailed the Ecstasy 8 times...loved it, but ready to move on.

Archived