Best Internet Site for storing Photos??

rubrrick

I see people use Webshots, smugmug, picasaweb, and more. Is there one particular site that handles the uploading, storage, retrieval, and slide shows better than others.

I would appreciate hearing from those that have experiences with the different sites, and what they like and dislike. I have many to upload, and looking for the right one.:)

Thanks!!

Rick

I personally use PBase (http://www.pbase.com) and PicasaWeb for online sharing. All of the ones you mentioned are good and offer slide shows, printing and such.

As for online "storage and retrieval", I'm not sure if you are asking if any of these is a good place to keep the only copy of your images ot to use as a backup. I only upload reduced-size files for display and store/backup locally, managing the images with Google's Picasa.

What specific needs do you have (display, sharing, selling, etc.)? Let me know and I can make some suggestions.

Dave

I personally use PBase (www.pbase.com) and PicasaWeb for online sharing. All of the ones you mentioned are good and offer slide shows, printing and such.

As for online "storage and retrieval", I'm not sure if you are asking if any of these is a good place to keep the only copy of your images ot to use as a backup. I only upload reduced-size files for display and store/backup locally, managing the images with Google's Picasa.

What specific needs do you have (display, sharing, selling, etc.)? Let me know and I can make some suggestions.

Dave

Thanks for your response Dave. I keep all of my pictures on an external hard drive, as well as on CD's.

What I'm looking for is a good site that I can share some of my pictures with anyone that wants to view them. I have noticed that some of the sites seem slow in going from picture to picture, while others seem to load quickly, and it is easy to manouver thru an album.

I also want to be able to bring a picture from that site to this site when someone asks to see a specific picture. I cannot directly upload a decent sized picture directly.

So that is what I'm trying to accomplish.:)

Rick

Thanks for your response Dave. I keep all of my pictures on an external hard drive, as well as on CD's.

What I'm looking for is a good site that I can share some of my pictures with anyone that wants to view them. I have noticed that some of the sites seem slow in going from picture to picture, while others seem to load quickly, and it is easy to manouver thru an album.

I also want to be able to bring a picture from that site to this site when someone asks to see a specific picture. I cannot directly upload a decent sized picture directly.

Rick

As I said, I use PBase and PicasaWeb. PBase costs $23/yr for 500MB and Picasa is free up to 1GB. Both allow youto share, but PBase lets you have more freedom in arrangng your photos with customizable style sheets and Nested folders. Both allow direct linking to sites like this and are both easy to upload to. Picasa gets the nod on upload since you can synchronize your PC albums managed by Picasa with your web albums with one click.

I have tried others, but load times and ad banners frustrated me.

Here are links to both if you want to take a look:

PBase: http://www.pbase.com/pierce324

PicasaWeb: http://picasaweb.google.com/pierce324

Hope that was some help.

Dave

As I said, I use PBase and PicasaWeb. PBase costs $23/yr for 500MB and Picasa is free up to 1GB. Both allow youto share, but PBase lets you have more freedom in arrangng your photos with customizable style sheets and Nested folders. Both allow direct linking to sites like this and are both easy to upload to. Picasa gets the nod on upload since you can synchronize your PC albums managed by Picasa with your web albums with one click.

I have tried others, but load times and ad banners frustrated me.

Here are links to both if you want to take a look:

PBase: http://www.pbase.com/pierce324

PicasaWeb: http://picasaweb.google.com/pierce324

Hope that was some help.

Dave

Thanks Dave! I like PicasaWeb. By the way, you have a very creative way to taking pictures.........are you a professional??? Your compositions are wonderful.:)

Rick

I use smugmug. It's $40 per year for unlimited storage. You get a referral code you can share with friends and it saves them $5 when joining and you get $10 toward your fees for the next year. They have a free trial period. I like the page layouts, it was easy to use for someone who had not done this before. The main reason I joined was to share full size images with some friends I met on a cruise and smugmug allows this. The free sites did not (in 2005) but maybe do now, I don't know.You can also set it so people can not download your images. Any time I've needed to communicate with them, it has been pleasant and prompt. I did have a problem with my last bill, but it was rapidly resolved, my acct was promptly credited and they gave me extra credits toward next year's fees. It seldom seems to go down for maintenance, but online, when looking at other's pictures, it seems to me that pbase does go down frequently. There are no ad banners on my pages. Here's my site:

If you are interested, here is my coupon code you can use to save $5:

YmZOJcuNj7DMQ

Thanks Dave! I like PicasaWeb. By the way, you have a very creative way to taking pictures.........are you a professional??? Your compositions are wonderful.:)

Rick

Thanks, Rick!

Not a pro, as in "makes a living from it". More like a dedicated (some say "obsessed") amateur since I was 10. It's fun, keeps me sane and preserves our memories. It also brings in a few dollars from print sales and some occasional catalog or wedding work.

Dave

Which photo site do you think would be the easiest to use by someone who is not particularly computer literate? I am totally frustrated with Flickr.

If you download Google's Picasa photo organizer (free), it links very smoothly with PicasaWeb web albums (1GB free). Easy uploading and management. User-friendly x 2.

Link: http://picasa.google.com/

Dave

Rubrrick,

Webshots used to be great but is has been so popular that is has slowed to a crawl when browsing photos.

I use Flickr (see link below), I have a free account now (limited to 200 photos), but I like the options of varying sizes to view. They also have an uploader software that will resize batches of photos as you upload them - very handy.

I haven't used pBase, but I sure like the pages I have looked (including Pierces).

Good luck in your decision making :eek:

<snip>

I have noticed that some of the sites seem slow in going from picture to picture, while others seem to load quickly, and it is easy to manouver thru an album.

Rick

Archived