Now its really crowded in Ushuaia port...+ pics

parischris

Wow! I guess its a working ship so interesting they would move with 11 passengers. Did they give everyone upgrades or not?

Bit off topic:

Hurtigruten has been sailing along the norwegian coast delivering everything from mail, food, medicine, etc. for well over a hundred years. It started in 1866, and has been running continualy ever since. During the 1980's they started focusing on passenger comfort in transportation and built ships during the 1990's with this in focus. 11 ships where built during 1993-2003. Every day the various Hurtigruten ships call at 34 ports along the norwegian coast, 365 days a year.

About the prices. Norway is sadly a very expensive place for foreigners to visit. Local salaries and social benefits make it better for us than it might seem. This summer the krone (NOK) vs dollar (USD) has been at a 30 year low, with the lowest point being under 5 to 1. At this point its back up at around 7 to 1 due to the financial crisis.

So that would make it cheaper to visit us now, than it was just 2-3 months ago :)

Regarding winter vs summer, it is two very different experiences. During the summer you have the midnight sun, with 24 hour daylight, just as in the antarctic during the austral summer, and in the winter you have total darkness in the north, with wonderful views of Aurora Borealis (Northern lights).

It really is an experience.

On a side note - just 25 days until we leave for Buenos Aires and our own Antarctic adventure on the Fram with Hurtigruten to Marguerite Bay.

Thanks!

How much is postage to send a postcard from Antarctica to the US? Doesn't it just go back to Argentina on a ship?

Are you a professional photographer? What type of Equipment did you use and did you bring a monopod? My DH bought me a Nikon D60 earlier this year as all my Nikon manual lenses fit. I have/had been using a Nikon FM for over 30 years. I took thousands of photos in Europe with the D90 but haven't printed. Many of the ones when I tried to adjust (play with) settings did not come out and I have just not taken the time as planned to learn the settings. I am having second thoughts on whether I should bring my film camera. None of my picture look like what I did in the Galapagos with a manual film camera. It's just should a hassle with the film through the airport. I never have a problem leaving the US as I know the drill going to the airport earlier and having each film roll go individually through a plastics machine (that checks for explosives). But what about going through AEP and BA? It's so stressful with the film (plus expensive) and worrying that all the picture you take will be ruined by x ray machines. Plus, I assume you go through an x ray on Minerva as well?

Is anyone using 35mm film anymore?

Sorry, no idea what postage to the US is, I'm Australian, and didn't send postcards. About $US1-2 per stamp I think.

If you take your film camera, remember to overexpose for the snow and ice. There were 2 passengers that I know of that were shooting film. Lots of new DSLRS that folks didn't know how to use and didn't bring the manuals for!

I took 2 Canon DSLRs, with 24-105, 100-400 and 400 lenses. The 100-400 was the most used (for wildlife). I also took a tripod for the Gold Harbour sunrise at South Georgia. Otherwise hand held, monopods aren't much use for moving wildlife on a ship, particularly birds and whales.

No xrays on the Minerva.

Cheers

Archived