Now its really crowded in Ushuaia port...+ pics

parischris

Today there are a total of 7 Antarctic ships berthed at the wharf in Ushuaia...

Minerva (my ship, writing this from my cabin...) -Falklands, Sth Georgia & Peninsula

Antarctic Dream - Chilean owned, heading to the Peninsula

Lyubov Orlova (Quark) - heading to Falklands, Sth Georgia and peninsula

Polar Star (Polar Star Expeditions) - heading to Antarctic Peninsula

Polar Pioneer (Aurora Expeditions) - heading to Antarctic Peninsula

Le Diamant - (think this is an alumni charter), also heading to the Falklands

Discovery - for some reason sailing to Punta Arenas and back by the 27th, then to Valparaiso.

Its going to be a crowded Drake Passage for those heading to the peninsula tonight. Thankfully Minerva is heading to the Falklands.

Some quick snaps attached of the ships....

Left to right - Discovery, Antarctic Dream in front of Polar Star, Le Diamant, Orlova, and Orlova again in foreground, Polar Pioneer

Discovery.jpg.6beeee423a32d1efd695142de87aa75d.jpg

1500339282_Antarctic-Dream--Polar-Sta.jpg.b463f1c5e2a1a49f66d022ff9a86c796.jpg

1759161678_LeDiamant.jpg.79652e117bab4f6499842fa8be0260f6.jpg

Orlova.jpg.9f5e5affeccff7e7701b51afee8e88a7.jpg

139496550_OrlovaandPolarPioneer.jpg.beacf74f6deaa0de06c2af3d3d014095.jpg

Parischris....do you have internet on the Minerva...or just email. I'll be there in late January and bringing my laptop. Any info you have would be appreciated.

There are 3 wired internet stations in the library, plus the library is a wireless hotspot. I've been able to write this from a wireless connection in my cabin (albeit a reasonably weak signal).

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Parischris...have you had fairly consistent internet signal during your cruise? I'm bringing my laptop and hope to post a log to friends if that's possible.

Hope you're enjoying your cruise. I've been following the A&K ship's log and it sounds wonderful.

Margo

Parischris...have you had fairly consistent internet signal during your cruise? I'm bringing my laptop and hope to post a log to friends if that's possible.

Hope you're enjoying your cruise. I've been following the A&K ship's log and it sounds wonderful.

Margo

Internet has only gone down twice, once yesterday in the Drake and once on the Peninsula. Otherwise very reliable.

Currently crossing the Drake Lake - all I need to do now is win the ships raffle and I will have had the perfect trip! :D

Internet has only gone down twice, once yesterday in the Drake and once on the Peninsula. Otherwise very reliable.

Currently crossing the Drake Lake - all I need to do now is win the ships raffle and I will have had the perfect trip! :D

Hi ParisChris, we just received our documents from A&K yesterday. They put HAL to shame. I wasn't expecting the leather luggage tags.

Ok, my questions:

1. Does the ship provide amenities such as shampoo and conditioner, and if so, what kind?

2. I can't remember if you are booked with A&K, but if so, does the charter flight from BA have the same LAN luggage restrictions? It doesn't sound like I can bring both my 22" rolling luggage and camera backpack (it's a slingback) onboard in the cabin? We are only planning on checking one piece of luggage each (under 50 pounds) but I like to keep that roller with me after our luggage did not show up on our last trip.

3. A&K suddenly needed us to pay an immigration fee that wasn't there when we booked over a year ago. It wasn't much but what is it for, Argentina or Antarctica?

4. Are people getting dressed for dinner or wearing jeans and casual clothes? I believe this is country club casual, so we are not bringing our suit bag with any suites or dresses. I keep imagining the dining room being freezing every time someone goes out the door for some sighting, but perhaps its colder right now in the Northeast USA. So, can we get away with black pants and sweaters (cashmere etc)?

5. It looks like we will have some OBC. Is there anything to purchase on board (aside from the internet minutes and alcohol)?

It sounds like your fantastic voyage is coming to an end. Thank you so much for sharing information with us. Please post some of your photos when you have a chance - I love anticipating my journey!

I can't believe the leather document folder sent by A&K including the luggage tags that they sent. I also can't believe that although our flights and (initial transfer) were booked independently of A&K they typed all this info into our itinerary info ("arrive on flight x and make your way to the hotel", "A&K transfer to EZE for connection to x flight home"). It saved me a lot of trouble as I was going to type it all up today.

Oh never mind, I think you must be booked with Regent if you are traveling in January. Did Regent send you paperwork on the background of the Captain, Photography coach, Cruise Director, and expedition leaders? I have never seen anything like this before.

3. A&K suddenly needed us to pay an immigration fee that wasn't there when we booked over a year ago. It wasn't much but what is it for, Argentina or Antarctica?

Argentina has now implemented a reciprocity fee similar to what Chile has ... that's probably what you're paying for.

Argentina has now implemented a reciprocity fee similar to what Chile has ... that's probably what you're paying for.

No, this was $20.00 per person and called an immigration fee.

Plus, the reciprocity fee will not be until at least March, and again, we booked our flights to BA independently.

My documents explain that there is a $131 USD reciprocity fee to all American and Canadian citizens entering Argentina through Buenos Aires Ezeiza International Airport. The amounts charged are per person and are subject to change without notice.

The note continues: It is important to mention that this amount MUST be paid by every person directly at the Immigration Office at the Buenos Aires Ezeiza International Airport, and it must be paid in US Dollars. Payment may be made in cash or by major credit card (MC/Visa/Amex).

Please note that this fee is the sole responsibility of each guest and not that of Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

No, this was $20.00 per person and called an immigration fee. Plus, the reciprocity fee will not be until at least March, and again, we booked our flights to BA independently.

A&K has a deserved reputation for upscale client service as a tour agency - and fees to match. What does A&K have to say to you about this immigration expense?

Ruby

A&K has a deserved reputation for upscale client service as a tour agency - and fees to match. What does A&K have to say to you about this immigration expense?

Ruby

I haven't asked them, but will as I am just curious.

They have saved me hours of typing up my itinerary and contact info to give to family. We received a list of the other guests going on this expedition. It feels like we are going to a conference or convention. In addition to the itinerary as well as a mini version inside the leather pouch, we received 16 pages (16 different people) of info on the Captain, Expedition leaders, Cruise Director and more.

Btw, their trip "extension" prices make no sense whatsoever to me ($3,600pp not including air to Igauzu falls with a few nights in BA and only one night at the falls) BUT their cruise rate was actually starting at least $1,000 to $2,000 less pp than going through Regent (once you separate out the cost of air) who charters the same ship.

Hi ParisChris, we just received our documents from A&K yesterday. They put HAL to shame. I wasn't expecting the leather luggage tags.

Ok, my questions:

1. Does the ship provide amenities such as shampoo and conditioner, and if so, what kind?

2. I can't remember if you are booked with A&K, but if so, does the charter flight from BA have the same LAN luggage restrictions? It doesn't sound like I can bring both my 22" rolling luggage and camera backpack (it's a slingback) onboard in the cabin? We are only planning on checking one piece of luggage each (under 50 pounds) but I like to keep that roller with me after our luggage did not show up on our last trip.

4. Are people getting dressed for dinner or wearing jeans and casual clothes? I believe this is country club casual, so we are not bringing our suit bag with any suites or dresses. I keep imagining the dining room being freezing every time someone goes out the door for some sighting, but perhaps its colder right now in the Northeast USA. So, can we get away with black pants and sweaters (cashmere etc)?

5. It looks like we will have some OBC. Is there anything to purchase on board (aside from the internet minutes and alcohol)?

Hi Jade13,

Ok, answers to questions in order:

1. Yes. L'Occitane. Shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, shower gel, sewing kit, shoe mitt, soap.

2. I booked through A&K. Yes, LAN will be strict on cabin luggage. 8kg. If your roller looks large, they will want you to check it, even on the charter flight. They weren't fussed about a couple of small bags, eg handbag, laptop bag and small pack etc. The overhead lockers on the charter were full, even with the larger hand luggage checked in.

3. Argentina.

4. Bit of both. I only dined in the restaurant twice, for the captain's welcome and farewell dinners. Neat casual is the norm. I was there for Xmas and New Years where the dress standard varied from jeans and tshirts to party dresses. The rest of the time I ate in the Verandah in a tshirt and hiking pants ;)

5. No shortage of things to spend on on-board. There is a well stocked 'convenience' style store with essential such as shampoo, antacid, sunscreen and chocolate. There is also a perfumery/small clothes & jewellery boutique; a photo shop that sells prints of the work of the on-board photogs and burns DVDs for passengers. There is also a DVD of the trip (filmed each trip) for $US175. Not to mention the beauty salon that offers everything from hairdressing through to mens facials and massage. I had my hair colored, a manicure, pedicure, a mini facial, and a mini facial. Sadly I didn't have any OBC :eek:

6. You don't need to worry about anything - A&K and Swan Hellenic baby everyone through all of the transfers, including having people at the airport at BA for the charters to move luggage and direct passenger traffic. Janne the Cruise Director is excellent at managing everyone from the time they arrive on the Minerva to the minute they leave.

We have been absolutely blessed for the last 2 weeks with the weather in Sth Georgia and Antarctica. We arrived back in Ushuaia this morning to bright sunshine and 10 degress celsius. Apparently the last 10 days have been terrible in Ushuaia and the next 10 are not forecast to be great either. :D

I will post a thread when I have photos on my website.

Have a great trip!

Cheers

My documents explain that there is a $131 USD reciprocity fee to all American and Canadian citizens entering Argentina through Buenos Aires Ezeiza International Airport. The amounts charged are per person and are subject to change without notice.

The note continues: It is important to mention that this amount MUST be paid by every person directly at the Immigration Office at the Buenos Aires Ezeiza International Airport, and it must be paid in US Dollars. Payment may be made in cash or by major credit card (MC/Visa/Amex).

Please note that this fee is the sole responsibility of each guest and not that of Regent Seven Seas Cruises.

According to both posts on the "South America" board on CC as well as paperwork sent by A&K this has not been implemented yet, but of course could be at any time.

Hi Jade13,

Ok, answers to questions in order:

1. Yes. L'Occitane. Shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, shower gel, sewing kit, shoe mitt, soap.

2. I booked through A&K. Yes, LAN will be strict on cabin luggage. 8kg. If your roller looks large, they will want you to check it, even on the charter flight. They weren't fussed about a couple of small bags, eg handbag, laptop bag and small pack etc. The overhead lockers on the charter were full, even with the larger hand luggage checked in.

3. Argentina.

4. Bit of both. I only dined in the restaurant twice, for the captain's welcome and farewell dinners. Neat casual is the norm. I was there for Xmas and New Years where the dress standard varied from jeans and tshirts to party dresses. The rest of the time I ate in the Verandah in a tshirt and hiking pants ;)

5. No shortage of things to spend on on-board. There is a well stocked 'convenience' style store with essential such as shampoo, antacid, sunscreen and chocolate. There is also a perfumery/small clothes & jewellery boutique; a photo shop that sells prints of the work of the on-board photogs and burns DVDs for passengers. There is also a DVD of the trip (filmed each trip) for $US175. Not to mention the beauty salon that offers everything from hairdressing through to mens facials and massage. I had my hair colored, a manicure, pedicure, a mini facial, and a mini facial. Sadly I didn't have any OBC :eek:

6. You don't need to worry about anything - A&K and Swan Hellenic baby everyone through all of the transfers, including having people at the airport at BA for the charters to move luggage and direct passenger traffic. Janne the Cruise Director is excellent at managing everyone from the time they arrive on the Minerva to the minute they leave.

We have been absolutely blessed for the last 2 weeks with the weather in Sth Georgia and Antarctica. We arrived back in Ushuaia this morning to bright sunshine and 10 degress celsius. Apparently the last 10 days have been terrible in Ushuaia and the next 10 are not forecast to be great either. :D

I will post a thread when I have photos on my website.

Have a great trip!

Cheers

Thanks for posting while on the road! So, was it great? $175.00 for a DVD? My DH has already said no way as we never look at the ones we make ourself. That would be interesting to have a pedicure while in Antarctica.

Another question. I know if we end up at a research station they end up selling something (T-shirts/patches). What currency do they prefer at these stations, AR pesos, US dollar, EUR (Isn't one a British station?)? Also, is there a box for the "Crew fund", or are gratuities really included? Whenever we are on a small ship they are always collecting money for their "fund"? And again, what currency?

(I see you have been on the Hurtigruten from Bergen to Kirkens too and would love to do that itinerary sometime this summer but the pricing for 6 nights is holding us back.)

Thanks for posting while on the road! So, was it great? $175.00 for a DVD? My DH has already said no way as we never look at the ones we make ourself. That would be interesting to have a pedicure while in Antarctica.

Another question. I know if we end up at a research station they end up selling something (T-shirts/patches). What currency do they prefer at these stations, AR pesos, US dollar, EUR (Isn't one a British station?)? Also, is there a box for the "Crew fund", or are gratuities really included? Whenever we are on a small ship they are always collecting money for their "fund"? And again, what currency?

(I see you have been on the Hurtigruten from Bergen to Kirkens too and would love to do that itinerary sometime this summer but the pricing for 6 nights is holding us back.)

Hi Jade13.

Greetings from Buenos Aires where it's a sunny 34 degrees celsius. I saw parts of the DVD, but didn't buy it as I am a photographer myself and thought US$175 a bit rich. The image quality is great, and they document the activities on board as well. Some of the other passengers wanted to be featured it it, not my thing.

The stations that you visit will only take $US or english pounds or euros if they are British, Arctowski only took $US from memory. No pesos accepted and no credit cards at the bases or post offices at the bases.

There are a series of raffles at the end for the various charities and the crew fund. These are charged to your cabin account, in $US. The onboard prices are all $US now.

P.S. I did the 12 day Hurtigruten in winter - with a total of 10 other passengers on the Nordkapp!

Cheers

Hi Jade13.

Greetings from Buenos Aires where it's a sunny 34 degrees celsius. I saw parts of the DVD, but didn't buy it as I am a photographer myself and thought US$175 a bit rich. The image quality is great, and they document the activities on board as well. Some of the other passengers wanted to be featured it it, not my thing.

The stations that you visit will only take $US or english pounds or euros if they are British, Arctowski only took $US from memory. No pesos accepted and no credit cards at the bases or post offices at the bases.

There are a series of raffles at the end for the various charities and the crew fund. These are charged to your cabin account, in $US. The onboard prices are all $US now.

P.S. I did the 12 day Hurtigruten in winter - with a total of 10 other passengers on the Nordkapp!

Cheers

Thanks!

How much is postage to send a postcard from Antarctica to the US? Doesn't it just go back to Argentina on a ship?

Are you a professional photographer? What type of Equipment did you use and did you bring a monopod? My DH bought me a Nikon D60 earlier this year as all my Nikon manual lenses fit. I have/had been using a Nikon FM for over 30 years. I took thousands of photos in Europe with the D90 but haven't printed. Many of the ones when I tried to adjust (play with) settings did not come out and I have just not taken the time as planned to learn the settings. I am having second thoughts on whether I should bring my film camera. None of my picture look like what I did in the Galapagos with a manual film camera. It's just should a hassle with the film through the airport. I never have a problem leaving the US as I know the drill going to the airport earlier and having each film roll go individually through a plastics machine (that checks for explosives). But what about going through AEP and BA? It's so stressful with the film (plus expensive) and worrying that all the picture you take will be ruined by x ray machines. Plus, I assume you go through an x ray on Minerva as well?

Is anyone using 35mm film anymore?

Cheers

Wow! I guess its a working ship so interesting they would move with 11 passengers. Did they give everyone upgrades or not?

Archived