Ready for our first cruise... Ruby Princess Jan 24

Canadian_Made

Hi Everyone

This group has been very informative and just would like to thank everyone for all the info on this cruise ship.

My wife and I are going on our first cruise on Jan 24-31 on the Princess Ruby and we are excited and a little curious what to expect. We are also hoping to meet some great people, if anyone is going at the same time as us please let us know!

Questions

For evening casual dinners, are jeans acceptable?

How is the food on this ship?

Any suggested tours on these islands? Jamaica, Bahamas, Cozumel and Grand Caymen Islands...

Thank you in advance!

Hi Everyone

This group has been very informative and just would like to thank everyone for all the info on this cruise ship.

My wife and I are going on our first cruise on Jan 24-31 on the Princess Ruby and we are excited and a little curious what to expect. We are also hoping to meet some great people, if anyone is going at the same time as us please let us know!

Questions

Any suggested tours on these islands? Jamaica, Bahamas, Cozumel and Grand Caymen Islands...

Thank you in advance!

Check out the roll call for your cruise.....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=643506

Hi Everyone

Questions

Thank you in advance!

Oops.. Colorado got here first.

Although they would probably not stop you from coming into the dining room, regular jeans are not in the spirit of "smart casual".

I agree, however, I think you may have started a heated discussion from some of the posters who feel that jeans are almost required - in their opinion. Real "smart casual" often includes a sportcoat.

Ron

We enjoyed the food especially the prime rib, goat cheese souffe appetizer, and the prawns served with the lobster were wonderful!!!

We took a tour through Cozumel I would absolutely recommend, it was the underground cave snorkel. It was like nothing I have ever experienced and I would do it again in a heart beat.

We loved the Ruby. If you like a cocktail, make sure to go to Vines in the piazza, one night we had wine and a cheese and prochuto appetizer that was phenominal!!!

Enjoy your trip!!

You will love the Ruby, we just got back and we have been fussing all week that we would rather be on the ship then at home in 3 feet of snow.

Jeans are really a no-no in the dining room; dress pants and a nice polo shirt will work for smart casual nights, a suit and tie are expected for formal night. This was the majority of the people we saw last week along with a few tux's.

The food is wonderful and if nothing pleases you on the menu then your waiter will work with you to find something. On another thread they were talking about the smaller portions, that's no big deal if you are hungry you can have as much as you want; our waiter kept the lobster, crab, and prawns coming until our table pleaded with him to stop....it was funny.

Make sure you try out the afternoon tea and the international cafe; these are locations not to be missed. My husband and I had hot chocolate at the cafe everynight it was great; please say hi to Carrie Ann (she is the best!)

The Ruby is a wonderful ship. We sailed in November and had a fantastic time.

You may want to check out the Ports of Call board, too, for ideas on tours. Some people like to book with the ship while other like to book on their own.

It's my understanding through Princess' "Cruise Answer Place" that they don't allow faded/frayed jeans. While I don't personally wear jeans, I have seen them worn...some dressy and nice and others not so. Anyway, below is from the Princess website.

Passenger attire should be in keeping with what would be worn to a nice restaurant at home. Inappropriate dinner dress such as pool or beach attire, shorts, ball caps and casual jeans (with fraying and/or holes), is not permitted in the dining rooms. Shoes must be worn

Here is the link to the Ports of Call page.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5

Have a wonderful cruise!

We enjoyed the food especially the prime rib, goat cheese souffe appetizer, and the prawns served with the lobster were wonderful!!!

We took a tour through Cozumel I would absolutely recommend, it was the underground cave snorkel. It was like nothing I have ever experienced and I would do it again in a heart beat.

We loved the Ruby. If you like a cocktail, make sure to go to Vines in the piazza, one night we had wine and a cheese and prochuto appetizer that was phenominal!!!

Enjoy your trip!!

Would you mind sharing who you booked your tour through? I took a 3 stop snorkle trip that took us very close to where the ships were, saw quite a few fish but got into a bloom of tiny jellyfish and am still itching!.

Hi Everyone

My wife and I are going on our first cruise on Jan 24-31 on the Princess Ruby and we are excited and a little curious what to expect.

I know, I know... it's just that the proofreader in me HAS to speak up :p. It's Ruby Princess, not Princess Ruby (that sounds like a drag-queen's name :eek: LOL).

You'll see a lot of discussions of jeans on these boards -- a lot of heated discussion!! With that said, it's clear that the guidelines have relaxed a little over the past couple of years. You will now see some jeans at dinner, especially fancy jeans on younger adults. It's really all about intent -- you should dress as you would for a nice restaurant at home. For myself, I would wear jeans to a place like Applebee's or Outback, but not to an upscale restaurant, so I don't even think of wearing them to dinner onboard. Plus, I never pack them, they're just too heavy to be carting around and usually too warm for the Caribbean. I hope this gives you something to go on, the whole subject lacks any clear and easy answers. By the way, we'll be getting off the Ruby just as you are boarding!!

On our last two cruises we booked a trip to Passion Island when we were in Cozumel. We booked it through Princess. It's a tiny island off of Cozumel and it is fantastic if you enjoy a relaxing laid back beach day. Lunch is included and it is a very nice beach.

How about the buffet? Is there a midnight buffet? Do you have to dress "smart casual" for that as well?

Just curious on how much of "smart casual" clothing I need to bring.

The buffet is open 24 hours and it's pretty much anything goes in the buffet. No guidelines at all.. (well, you probably should wear SOME clothing :p). And no, Princess ships don't have a organized "midnight buffet" as do some lines.

I always pack a couple of pairs of nice slacks, some nice shirts and then interchange 'em each night. Nothing too fancy.

We just got off a Princess ship this morning & no matter what the people on this board seem to say or think about wearing jeans, they're perfectly acceptable at dinner on casual evenings. There were some old timers that had on the typical old style blue jeans while others wore more expensive ones.

One of our table mates even managed to sneak past the Maiter d' three times in his jean shorts before being busted. :eek:.

If you want try sneaking in wearing shorts at dinner my advice is not to be at the head of the line or lag back to far but mingle with the first wave of people & he'll probably never notice them. ;)

From our experience, reg. jeans are just to warm when vacationing in the caribbean. My husband is a jean and t-shirts or sweatshirt kind of guy. But, when we cruise, he never takes jeans. They are to warm for him. Usually a pair of light weight khaki's for dinner and a black suit for formal night. Unless we don't plan on going to dinner for formal night(s).Then a couple of polo shirts and MAYBE a sports jacket. Hope this helps. Of coure, shorts when he can.

Jules

A friend and I will also be on this cruise - first Princess cruise for both of us - first ever cruise for her. We are SO looking forward to this trip! It's been unusually warm here in Atlanta - in the 70s today. BUT we're heading into the low 20s tomorrow night but will be warmed by daydreams of sunny skies, gentle waves and warm beaches.

Archived