First solo cruise on Celebrity was best ever!

marcmarc2

I'll eventually put together a full review, but wanted to do a quick report here regarding my first solo cruise effort on Celebrity Solstice (12/7/08).

What can I say? I did all the work before and during, and it paid off. It probably didn't hurt that we had a very large roll call (175+), a brand-new ship to talk about, and excellent participation. "Hey, I know you!" is a wonderful conversation starter.

There were at least four trivia-type games every day - you learn personalities really quick in a competitive setting. The games themselves were fun, but the chatting afterward was just as pleasant, it gave me some of my favorite moments.

Our cabin crawl was well-participated, and even included non-CCers who were nice enough to let two dozen relative strangers invade their space. After we walked about two miles fore and aft, aft and fore, a number of us were tired and hungry - another great opportunity to chat in the buffet with new acquaintences.

Dinner in the MDR was a little rocky the first night, but got exceedingly better the next night. We had eight people at a ten-top, two of us were solo, then one couple, and four adult family members. All of us had some sort of tie to Cruise Critic.

I had a balcony cabin; even though I spent a lot of time outside my cabin being social, I had many opportunities to enjoy the solitude and the sea air.

During downtimes, if I chose to seek out some people, I would walk around until I inevitably bumped into someone. Didn't take much walking.

I brought one paperback novel with me. I think I read about 40 pages, it sat on the desk the rest of the time.

As for the "dreaded question" - yeah, I got it, but it was polite curiosity and I had a good line to tell them, so I didn't mind. I always answered with "I'm happily divorced and frankly, he was only slowing me down." I never came across one of "those" wives.

I also want to mention that a couple of the husbands were so very sweet to me. I'm sure I'm far older than their own adult children, but I think they treated me like a daughter.

Uh oh, I think the single supplement and I are now permanently intertwined.

Hi Marcella - It's great you had such a wonderful first-solo experience! I've only done 2 solos and loved each one. I, like you, have become one with the single supplement. It's worth it, isn't it? :D

Diane

I could not agree more!!! The single supplement is worth every penny and more! PRICELESS!!! :D

To the OP....Glad you had a great time!

I am currently looking onto booking my next solo cruise (my upcoming sailings will be with family members) and I so enjoy reading peoples experiences on the various cruiselines! So far i have only sailed with Carnival - which I have absolutely enjoyed - but I always keep my options open.

Good morning:)

Glad you enjoyed Solstice and your first solo cruise so much:D

I had originally booked the same cruise a while back (I started

your roll call) but ended up transferring my booking to a

10 night cruise~I sail in just under 3 weeks!

Sounds like you had a wonderful time:)

She is a beautiful ship! I was invited to the Naming Ceremony

last month so I got 2 nights on her.:) I need to book a regular

one so I can see everything;)

I am glad your dinner table ended up being fun for you. In

my opinion, that can be such a difference maker. Great tablemates

can be so much fun!

I am so tied to that single supplement.....after 5.5 years of

solo cruising, its just part of the total price.

Again, glad you had such a great time:)

Archived