Independence of the Seas. Rude people?

vwalk

BTW, I am a New Yorker (originally) and I feel we do not deserve the reputation of being so rude ... slow to trust and assertive maybe.;) The rudest people I ever met were from ... well ... nevermind ... that could start another popcorn overflow...

OK - I've got to jump in and comment on that one.

Some friends and I took a quick trip to NYC, and I was apprehensive because of what I had heard about New Yorkers. I have never met a nicer or more helpful bunch of people. Whenever we asked for directions, people took the time to help us out. (Maybe it helped that it was a Saturday and not a workday.):)

Some friends and I took a quick trip to NYC, and I was apprehensive because of what I had heard about New Yorkers. I have never met a nicer or more helpful bunch of people. Whenever we asked for directions, people took the time to help us out. (Maybe it helped that it was a Saturday and not a workday.):)

They were probably either tourists or new to the area. :D

NYers are the worst IMO.

I've been on two cruises in the last 3 months: the Enchantment for 5 nights, and the Serenade for a Hawaii circle cruise out of Los Angeles. I'll comment on the Hawaii cruise, because it had a very large number of elderly people, complete with accompanying hardware!

First of all, I saw the younger adults on the cruise being exceptionally polite to the mobility impaired older folks. Lots of elevator holding, and stepping aside. We had one group that were traveling together on our deck, and 3 out of the 4 had walkers. My DH said it was like watching our sons on their Big Wheels coming down the street!:D

Yes, some of them were rude, but you get this on any cruise, or anywhere there are a lot of people congregated.

I agree putting yourself and your lounger smack in the walkway is rude, but I had some young adults doing that constantly on the sun deck when I was trying to take a walk. I would just cheerfully excuse myself and walk INTO the middle of their gathering. They got the point and moved the lounger.

But, I wonder about the "rudeness" and what it really might be. My Mom passed away in July, and my Dad is 89+ with Alzheimer's and senility. I've watched this progress for about 20 years now with both of them. I think a lot of elderly behavior that is interpreted as rude is really senility. The elderly lose their ability to multi-task, be aware of what's going on around them, and tend to "hyper-focus" on something that they are doing or thinking. They are also fixated on food, because it's a source of comfort to them. It has great meaning, more so that younger adults who aren't incapacitated.

So, having a Mom who used a walker for 15 years, and a Dad that gets lost in the grocery store, I tend to cut the elderly some slack on board the ship. I admire them for getting out and traveling. I can spare them a few minutes of my life to make them more comfortable. If it's truly unfair, then I cheerfully say something. Most of the time I just ignore them and go on with my vacation.

One other thing that bothered me.. There was a lady in a electric cart moving about the ship. On 70's night she just ran people over and didn't care.

Perhaps she needed a DWI/DUI?

Yesterday at the matinee performance of The Nutcracker during intermission, kids were running wild on the stage no parents in sight, it was a bit hard to believe it was really happening... So yes out of control folks and rude folks are everywhere...:eek: Probably just notice it more on the ship with so many in such a small space.

It always amazes me how some people are so offended and others are so narrow minded. I'm from NJ and when I moved here to TX, I was the brunt of some Yankee jokes (I take pride in being called a yankee, damn fine baseball team). After a week or so everyone quickly forgot where I'm from and have been here 7 years now and who do they call when they are going to NY for a visit to find the best places to eat and things to see?

How does someone get offened by something someone says or does? Why hold on to it? Do you flip out when someone drives like a complete idiot and think about it days after? Life is too short to worry about what other people are doing let alone what they are thinking. If someone says something crass or off color, I don;t lay into them, I simply throw it back on their lap and twist it in a way that they realize to others they sound like a complete and utter a$$.

Just have fun and know that where a person lives or where they are from is not a reflection of the other people that live there.

If by gluttony you were sizing up someone's plate - well it's their waistline and their vacation, so that's not a bother to me - heck, I diet all year to enjoy the breakfast gravy and chocolate deserts.

I was on the Mariner on a Caribbean cruise at the end of August and I didn't really observe much rudeness... no one cut in line before me, no one packing into elevators, or moving sun beds in the area I was in... well, there were insanely enthusiastic children cannon-balling into the pool literally right next to me when I went up there to swim late at night, but kids don't usually think too much about politeness. The only big issue that I observed was people being intensely rude to the photographing staff. By the time I got to pick up my pictures at the end of the cruise, the poor photographer I dealt with was so jumpy and nervous and worn out that I wanted to give him a hug.

But lol, when I saw that breakfast buffet, I stuffed my plate every day. I have never had the opportunity to eat french toast, and eggs, and sausages, and such all at once... I just wanted to enjoy such fabulous food because I knew when I went home, I'd go back to cold cereal. :o

BTW, I am a New Yorker (originally) and I feel we do not deserve the reputation of being so rude ... slow to trust and assertive maybe.;) The rudest people I ever met were from ... well ... nevermind ... that could start another popcorn overflow...

About two years ago, we went to NYC for the first time (my first, DHs "several-th"). I really didn't want to go because of what I had heard about the rudeness, the crowds, the pollution, and the traffic......boy, was I WRONG!

First, the people we ALL very polite and anxious to help strangers. The minute we opened our mouths to ask for help, it became obvious that we were from Texas! We asked a policeman for the best place near Broadway to eat (figured they would know!) and, sure enough, it was an AWESOME place! Not one person was rude or unhelpful....

Secondly, for a Houstonian to worry about traffic, pollution, and crowds is just silly! Although the VERY tall buildings in NYC did give me a claustrophobic feeling like being in a canyon and made me long for the sight of some big sky, I found NYC to be a wonderful place to visit and am anxious to go back!!!

Much to my surprise, I realized that Houston and NYC are more alike than different!!

<snip>

Much to my surprise, I realized that Houston and NYC are more alike than different!!

LOL as a Marylander transplanted to Houston your comment made me laugh (in a good way). I certainly agree there are wonderful people in both places, but "more alike than different"?? I'm not so sure ;) - let's embrace those differences, though :D

We've seen rude behavior on all kinds of trips - not just cruises. Some of the worst we've encountered were on trips to Disney World. There were those from countries like Brazil and Argentina (some great people, but they had more than their fair share of rude/pushy/obnoxious types)... and once we had a middle eastern family try to get us to move and give them our coveted spots saved for hours ahead right on the curb for a parade. The men had the nerve to send over their women to ask us to move for them! Let's just say our answer was "no"!

Though rude people aren't just from other countries/cultures.... One other time I was sitting on a bench waiting for a show at Epcot - facing the water. I had my camera/tripod set up in front of me between my bench seat and the railing (only about a foot of space). This idiot woman comes up at the last minute with her two obnoxious boys. She tells them to push in front of me and make me move the tripod so her dear boys can have front row seats for the show. I politely replied I was set up there to film it and had been waiting two hours. She started telling her boys to call me "ugly" and "dirty"! There was another woman sitting next to me that had also been waiting for the show - and her mouth just dropped! I ignored the moron - and about a minute later my husband came back with our jackets. I told him what went on - he gave one look to this woman - and she took off with her kids! (I guess my husband looked rather intimidating to her!)

Another time we were in line at a hotel waiting to go in (for first come, first serve seating) at one of my daughter's dance competitions. This guy showed up right before the doors were to open - pushing and shoving his way toward the front of the line. People started objecting, but he just ignored them. We saw him coming, and I positioned myself - and my big purse - and as soon as he came up behind us to try to push ahead of us - I positioned the purse right in line with, let's say, a rather delicate area. Dumb as he was - he attempted to push by me - and I heard a muffled high pitched sound come from him as he made contact. People started snickering and laughing around us, and this guy sheepishly moved back out of line.

There are rude and selfish people everywhere - from everywhere - but I do have to say it seems as years pass there are more and more of them. Other posters here are right - bullies shouldn't be allowed to get their way, but they also aren't worth getting into a fight or allowing them to ruin your vacation.

This is occurring on land and sea. Two nights ago, we were out at dinner with my daughter sitting in a high chair at the end of the table. The server was so engrossed with watching the football game on the big screen that he tripped over my daughters chair, kicking it hard enough to shift it a couple inches away from the table. He barely even looked down, much less appologized, and just walked away. A few minutes later as we were getting up from the table, he came by again, staring the the TV. My husband said loudly and sarcastically, "Are we in your way?" THe guy finally looked at where he was going (about to barrel into my daughter again), and mumbled an appology. Unfortunately, as a society, we are becoming so wrapped up in ourselves that we can't see how our actions are affeting other people. I am one of those people who is constantly saying excuse me, or appologizing if I get in someone's way and I will continue to do so in the hopes that I will rub off on someone someday.

......and once we had a middle eastern family try to get us to move and give them our coveted spots saved for hours ahead right on the curb for a parade. The men had the nerve to send over their women to ask us to move for them! Let's just say our answer was "no"!

This might have been a cultural thing. I don't know what your ethnic background is, but it could be because you were a woman. The men would not have approached you.

I have a friend who is Phillipino and worked for a year in Kuwait. He said there is a definite caste system there with anyone remotely related to the royal family on top. Southeast Asian people are at the bottom. He said he and his wife were in line for a movie, and 30 Kuwaitees got in line in front of them. They could say nothing, because that is the custom. It was carefully explained to him ahead of time by his employer. His wife had no voice in anything. She was not allowed to drive, and if she needed to go somewhere, HE had to call and request it.

To the Middle Eastern people at Epcot, they probably thought they had a right to your spot, based on their status in their culture. Not to excuse them, though: when anywhere, follow the local customs!!

Another time we were in line at a hotel waiting to go in (for first come, first serve seating) at one of my daughter's dance competitions. This guy showed up right before the doors were to open - pushing and shoving his way toward the front of the line. People started objecting, but he just ignored them. We saw him coming, and I positioned myself - and my big purse - and as soon as he came up behind us to try to push ahead of us - I positioned the purse right in line with, let's say, a rather delicate area. Dumb as he was - he attempted to push by me - and I heard a muffled high pitched sound come from him as he made contact. People started snickering and laughing around us, and this guy sheepishly moved back out of line.

I love reading these posts. You made me laugh out loud lol. After a 6 hour Christmas shopping trip I needed that ... thanks.

I found the same thing to be true. I would have thought it had something to do with my southern accent (I'm originally from South Carolina) but I didn't even have to say anything for folks to stop and offer assistance. Of course, it might have been the stupid lost look on my face...but that doesn't diminish the fact that more than one person graciously offered directions, advice on where to shop, how to get around, etc. And these instances did occur on weekdays!

It always amazes me how some people are so offended and others are so narrow minded. I'm from NJ and when I moved here to TX, I was the brunt of some Yankee jokes (I take pride in being called a yankee, damn fine baseball team). After a week or so everyone quickly forgot where I'm from and have been here 7 years now and who do they call when they are going to NY for a visit to find the best places to eat and things to see?

How does someone get offened by something someone says or does? Why hold on to it? Do you flip out when someone drives like a complete idiot and think about it days after? Life is too short to worry about what other people are doing let alone what they are thinking. If someone says something crass or off color, I don;t lay into them, I simply throw it back on their lap and twist it in a way that they realize to others they sound like a complete and utter a$$.

Just have fun and know that where a person lives or where they are from is not a reflection of the other people that live there.

Well said. Glad to have you in Texas.

I have been on 7 cruises now and I cannot recall a single time where someone was rude to me in the fashions mentioned in this thread. Sure, I have seen the teenagers in the elevators on some trips, but heck I did worse as a teenager. They are just trying to have fun, and I bet if you asked them to make way for an elderly or someone that required space on the elevator, 90% of them would gladly move aside.

It's all about how YOU treat people, and not letting the guy who is having a bad day rub off on you.

God Bless.

I have been on 7 cruises now and I cannot recall a single time where someone was rude to me in the fashions mentioned in this thread.

So, just to clarify, for those of us who have seen it, are you calling us liars....or are you saying that because you haven't seen it, then that means it doesn't happen?

Just an example....I was on a cruise on the AOS where I saw a Solarium window broken by a thrown beer bottle because of a fight. On that same cruise, the whole liquor table display in the Promenade was knocked over and dozens of bottles broke, causing the Promenade to be closed for several hours. Let's see...door was knocked on at 2 a.m., stairs were always blocked by people laying on them, people were screaming during the shows, people's digital cameras were being stolen prompting the Captain to make an announcement that if anyone was caught, they would be charged and disembarked. And that's just the tip of the iceburg on that voyage.

Please don't take this as a flaming post. I am just a little offended when people insinuate that just because they haven't seen it, that means it never happens. I had 15 great cruises where I didn't see it. But on 2, I did.

For your sake, I really hope you never undure this....it really is very frustrating and it does affect your cruise.

I appreciate everyone's input and it's good to know that I'm not the only one that has noticed such behavior. I would like to cruise again and am curious about some of your comments.

1. I understand that this is a RCI forum and I may step on some toes BUT have some of you found other cruiselines to have more "down to earth" passengers. I think that RCI is a great cruise company and it costs a little more than the others. Does this attract a certain clientel? Let me add that I understand that rude people are everywhere and I effectively deal with them on a daily basis. I'm not looking for the perfect cruise.

We've cruised on 7 different lines and unfortunately have found rude people in all age groups on every one of them. It's not a cruise line issue, it's a human issue. Just like at the grocery store, our local mall, on airplanes, especially on the freeways.

2. My particular cruise left on Dec 6th. Although I took my 12 and 13 year old children, the majority of the passengers were 55+. Do passengers tend to be more pleasant during other times of the year (maybe when kids are out of school) when a different age group is sailing?

No, not necessarily. I think the rude ones just leave more of an impression than the nice people.

3. The gluttony issue doesn't bother me except when people are cutting me off in the buffet line (which happened frequently). I feel that gluttony/lack of self control will ultimately affect the persons quality of life/lifespan. Enough said.

We avoid the buffets for this reason. No matter a persons age, there are always buttinskees. Some people also have the idea they have to "get their money's worth" :rolleyes: If they only knew, the food allowance per person is around $12 per day, most of the cruise fare is for ship operation, not food consumption.

4. I'm not sure if I agree with the "you tolerate, you promote it" philosophy, however I do appreciate it. I try to live by the "turn the other cheek" philosophy, but by the 7th day....both my cheeks were bruised.

We know how you feel, it does test a persons patience. But if people started "sticking up for themselves", we'd have chaos and riots. So, to me, trying to deal with bullies with like action puts a person in a very precarious position. A person can be seen as just as bad as the original offender. A sense of humor works a lot better and can diffuse a situation with a good outcome for all. Bullies don't get farther than the rest of us, they just have a worse time. I pity them.

Sometimes, ya gotta just let the fools go on their way. Try to remember the nice people instead.

So, just to clarify, for those of us who have seen it, are you calling us liars....or are you saying that because you haven't seen it, then that means it doesn't happen?

I am sorry if I came off that way, but I did not mean to accuse you of lying or anything. I was just making an observation. Relax!

Just an example....I was on a cruise on the AOS where I saw a Solarium window broken by a thrown beer bottle because of a fight. On that same cruise, the whole liquor table display in the Promenade was knocked over and dozens of bottles broke, causing the Promenade to be closed for several hours. Let's see...door was knocked on at 2 a.m., stairs were always blocked by people laying on them, people were screaming during the shows, people's digital cameras were being stolen prompting the Captain to make an announcement that if anyone was caught, they would be charged and disembarked. And that's just the tip of the iceburg on that voyage.

Wow! We are going on AOS in Feb 2010.....hope I'm not cruising with any of the same people who were acting this way on your cruise.

The only screaming during shows that we ever heard was at the behest of the performers....I have read of people leaving valuables unattended and having them stolen, but that happens almost anywhere. (Although I left my purse on a hallway table at a conference in Las Vegas and it was turned in to security...with all of its contents in tact....by a very honest gentleman. He and his wife were treated to a nice room service breakfast the next morning.....expensive, but worth every cent!)

Why were people laying on the stairs? That bahavior borders on bizarre, rather than just inconsiderate.....

I have never witnessed these things on a cruise and hope I never do! That would make me want to get off the ship and take a plane home!

The person who started this thread didn't mention New Yorkers. I think rudeness knows no geographic bounds.

A line from the movie Ghost Busters comes to mind "Being miserable and treating other people like dirt is every New Yorker's God-given right!"

Archived