Comparing the ports

Hurricane Girl

We are going out of Tampa in a few weeks, first time. How is this port compared to the ports in Miami and Port Caneveral?

Thanks for your responses. :)

Tampa is very easy, fast, and cheap to get back and forth from the airport and the cruise terminal.

The ship will go under a very cool bridge on the way out of Tampa Bay.

Having gone out of PC several times, we went out of Tampa Dec. 6 and found it very unorganized.

No sign for dropping off luggage, we walked right past the guy sitting in a chair. :) A lady came running after us. Our friends who were behind us did the exact same thing.

Upstairs there were 3 lines to board but no direction as to which one to get in. We got in the one that was moving as only a handful of people were in middle lane and it was NOT moving. All of a sudden our line just stopped and then they started moving the middle lane. Geez

We all commented that they need to take a lesson from PC as things are so smooth there. I am closer to Tampa but I prefer PC.

Just watch for the guy sitting in a chair before you get to the doors and you might see he is checking luggage.

Parking is a plus. It is just across street, very easy and fast. It cost $14 per day vs. PC at $15.

My experience with Tampa was good--but, I went a day early to the port area to get the lay of the land. Arriving blind, it probably would have been a little confusing. There are plenty of tips on the board for dealing with Tampa and once you know the routine it is an easy port.

Most recently, I went on Glory out of Port Canaveral. My last trip from PC was in 1990 and it was easy back then, even easier now. There are park/ride options at many hotels and even if you drive/park yourself you'll be in/out in no time.

No other ports for me and I would still not hesitate to go out of either port.

It's been 6 years since I sailed out of Port Canaveral, I don't remember anything horrible, so it had to be pretty painless. I always fly in the day before, stay at a hotel, and take a taxi, so I'm always dropped off right in front of the terminal. I find Miami and Tampa very easy to check in. Tampa has the process down a little better, but Miami has improved a lot lately since they have the new terminal. Tampa is also a little easier and definitely less congested because you're the only ship in port. Debarkation, Tampa kicks Miami's butt. Customs in Miami is sooooo slow. My parents couldn't believe the difference between Tampa and Miami.

Tampa is my favorite port, port canaveral is my second. Both very organized and easy to navigate. The fewer the ships the easier it to find your way around...

I don't like the Miami Port.. Past experiences there with porters has left an uneasy feeling when I travel through there...

Have a great cruise

Archived