Message Board Etiquette? Your Opinion ....

sail7seas

I am still debating if I want to join PhotoShop inorder to post pictures on the internet.

Without signing up for anything, most people have some web space to use but may not know anything about it. Most internet accounts include a small amount of space which may be enough for your needs. Here is the information on some common providers

Charter

It's time for a new home page - your own personal Web site.

If you always wanted a Web page, here?s your chance. As a Charter

High-SpeedTM Internet customer, you receive 20 MB of Web space at no

additional cost.

Comcast

The Personal Web Page feature allows any Comcast High-Speed Internet Service

member to create and publish a 25MB Web page per E-mail account, accessible

via the Internet.

Time Warner

Your Road Runner Personal Pages account comes with 5 MB of free disk space.

That means that you can have up to 5 MB of files in the account at all

times.

AT&T

Twenty five megabytes of file-storage space is automatically allocated for

each AT&T Worldnet e-mail ID. Since you can obtain up to six e-mail IDs per

account, and each of these receives 25MB of Web server space, you can get up

to 150MB of total space.

Rich

It is Verizon for me.

Here is the information for Verizon

Verizon

What is Personal Web Space?

Personal Web Space is space on the Verizon Online servers that stores files

for your personal Web site. Verizon Online gives dial-up customers 5 MB free

Personal Web Space and broadband customers 10 MB free Personal Web Space.

You can also purchase more Personal Web Space or, if you have purchased

additional space, decrease or delete your space.

Personal Web Space also includes Site Builder, a Web-design tool that lets

you design and build a site without knowing HTML or having a technical

background. There is no charge to use Site Builder; it's included with your

Personal Web Space.

To access your web space --

https://sso.verizon.net/ssowebapp/VOLPortalLogin?ActualTarget=https://netservices.verizon.net/portal/verizon/protected/afterssologin.jsp?a=b

Rich

Thanks Rich -- I have DSL with Verizon -- 10MB -- doesn't sound like much to me.

But then I am not a computer geek.

Have to think about all this.

After each cruise I print out our pictures and they go into a photo album -- DH likes to look at them that way -- he is not a computer user -- actually hates them.

It is enough to show about 300 pictures of a size that would look good on most peoples computers, along with text to describe them. Feel free to email me if you have any other questions.

Rich

Do you think it rude if someone posts often and to lots of different threads?

Do you think it rude to criticize someone who does that?

I always thought everyone was free to post as often and to as many threads as they wished but I have recently seen several digs made to people who post often and on many threads.

What do you think? Post to fewer threads? Post less to each thread? Stop criticizing those who post often?

You know, I have never criticized someone for their frequency of posting, but I must admit that responses in two threads this morning had me shaking my head.

In one thread, the OP was asking for comparisons between HAL & Princess, and someone responded that they couldn't help because they had only cruised on RCCL so far.

Huh???

Then, in another thread, the OP asked how HAL delivered cruise documents, and someone responded that they couldn't answer that because they received their documents from the T.A.

Umm....okay.

Far be it from me to suggest that people not post in threads simply to say that they don't know the answer to the question that was asked, but can someone explain to me the purpose for doing so?

can someone explain to me the purpose for doing so?

I've done this, especially in threads that have zero responses, and are scrolling off the front page. By saying something, e.g., "I can't help, but I'm sure someone here can", it lets the OP know that their post has been seen, and (especially for new posters) they are not being ignored. It also moves the post back up into the "line of sight" for others (who may have the answer) to see, in case they'd not seen it before.

I've done this, especially in threads that have zero responses, and are scrolling off the front page. By saying something, e.g., "I can't help, but I'm sure someone here can", it lets the OP know that their post has been seen, and (especially for new posters) they are not being ignored. It also moves the post back up into the "line of sight" for others (who may have the answer) to see, in case they'd not seen it before.

I have done this as well for the same reason...

Far be it from me to suggest that people not post in threads simply to say that they don't know the answer to the question that was asked, but can someone explain to me the purpose for doing so?

When you look at posts, below the poster's name, you'll either see "Cool Cruiser" or "10,000+ posts".

Do you think it is even remotely possible to have 10,000 substantive comments about cruising?

How else would you get to 10k posts without some spam mixed in there?

Do you think it is even remotely possible to have 10,000 substantive comments about cruising?

Sure do.

If someone has been around here for years, spends a lot of time here daily, takes a lot of cruises and participates in the roll-calls, then they are very likely to have contributed significantly to this community.

• Administrators
When you look at posts, below the poster's name, you'll either see "Cool Cruiser" or "10,000+ posts".

Roll calls? Thanking people for sharing their experiences? Asking questions? Answering questions? Posting in the Floataway Lounge (which is for off-topic posts)? Sharing links or other information? There's nothing in the TOS for this site which says that all posts must be "substantive posts about cruising," nor would I even know how to define that phrase. Members of a community share many things, including good wishes, and this is definitely a message board community, as noted in the "Community Guidelines" -- http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm

Btw, why care how many posts someone on this board has? You don't win any free microwaves or dishwashers when you reach a certain level on this board. There are undoubtedly many, many posters with numerous cruises behind them, lots of experience, heaps of expertese, etc, etc. who either just found out about this site and/or just started posting. Are they less credible than someone with 10,000 or more posts behind their name? I would look at the content, rather than the number of their posts.

This is not some kind of sorority where you have to be sponsored, be on super secret probation and/or walk backwards while respectfully bowing your head and clicking your heels as you are adressing a long-time poster

Happy New Year!;)

It is absolutely possible, nor is it all that difficult, to pile up that many posts over many years of posting on this board. In just a couple of years it can't be done without spamming the boards, but with 7, 8, or 9 years it is absolutely possible to amass that many posts.

I have been a member of CC for 7 years. I have 11,627 posts (with this one). That's an average of 1661 posts per year, or a mere 4.55 posts per day. If one cruises 2 or 3 times a year, is involved in multiple Roll Calls, enjoys posting on the controversial board topics (like Dress Codes, Chair Hogging, Quality Decline, and Board Etiquette threads), provides "Live From" reports from ship, Post-cruise reviews, photo submissions, and takes time to answer the questions that visitors ask on these boards, it is EASY to make as many as 4 or 5 posts per day without even trying.

Btw, why care how many posts someone on this board has? You don't win any free microwaves or dishwashers when you reach a certain level on this board.

There's not???? DANG! And I thought CC had just misplaced my shipping address. :D

This is not some kind of sorority where you have to be sponsored, be on super secret probation and/or walk backwards while respectfully bowing your head and clicking your heels as you are adressing a long-time poster

John ... please don't tell me you've been missing the organizational meetings! The new insider's hand-shake has been approved, along with the new initiation rituals for new board posters. I'll forward you the memo.

Archived