Message Board Etiquette? Your Opinion ....

sail7seas

I have also done this -- especially when a thread that hasn't gotten any repsonses has dropped to the very bottom of the page and will soon be moved to page 2 -- and I know some members don't always think to check out the 2nd page.

From the board's guidelines..."Please do not manipulate postings on the boards by "Bumping" topics to the top of the forum...Members will assume something of value has been posted only to find that the newer posting is nothing more than a "Bump Post"...This only wastes everyones time."

Btw, why care how many posts someone on this board has? You don't win any free microwaves or dishwashers when you reach a certain level on this board.

There's not???? DANG! And I thought CC had just misplaced my shipping address. :D

Well, there are those on-board credits for our cruises. ;) They're nice to have.

John ... please don't tell me you've been missing the organizational meetings! The new insider's hand-shake has been approved, along with the new initiation rituals for new board posters. I'll forward you the memo.

Dayum! Missed it by that...........much! Story of my life!

From the board's guidelines..."Please do not manipulate postings on the boards by "Bumping" topics to the top of the forum...Members will assume something of value has been posted only to find that the newer posting is nothing more than a "Bump Post"...This only wastes everyones time."

I rarely do this -- BUT -- I noticed that 2 other persons before me mentioned the same thing and you chose to quote me.

Me thinks you have a problem!!

Have a good day.

Roll calls? Thanking people for sharing their experiences? Asking questions? Answering questions? Posting in the Floataway Lounge (which is for off-topic posts)? Sharing links or other information? There's nothing in the TOS for this site which says that all posts must be "substantive posts about cruising," nor would I even know how to define that phrase. Members of a community share many things, including good wishes, and this is definitely a message board community, as noted in the "Community Guidelines" -- http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm

Anyone who posts in the Floataway Lounge does not get a point for each post they make there.

I know that I have learned so much info from this board that I cannot possibly thank all those that helped me. When I see a large post count, I tend to think these people are trying to help others, not just "up their scores". Now that I have a few HAL cruises under my belt, I feel more comfortable posting when I feel I can help. Again, THANKS TO ALL THE SUPER POSTERS:D

I rarely do this -- BUT -- I noticed that 2 other persons before me mentioned the same thing and you chose to quote me.

Me thinks you have a problem!!

Have a good day.

I quoted your post because it was the most recent one...Apparently I picked the wrong one...And you think I have a problem!

• Administrators
Anyone who posts in the Floataway Lounge does not get a point for each post they make there.

Which tells you how often I go there! I didn't even know that -- the only time I've ever clicked into that forum is when a thread I was interested in gets moved there (if I happen to catch it before it's buried! :) )

Before I joined 2 other sites -- one of which I am active in -- I used to join in on some the threads there -- that's how I found about not getting credit for posts there -- but I didn't let that bother me. At one time there was a nice group I got to know there. Then as the years passed, some of them dropped out from CC completely because of various problems with people.

As you can see from my post count, I am not a frequent poster, but I do not begrudge those who do post more frequently. I have yet to go on my first cruise, so while I do not have information to offer, I do read these boards on a regular basis, and have gleaned so much information that I feel that I will be prepared for my experience when I do sail away in September! Thanks to all of you!

I now know that any thread having to do with tipping, smoking and dress code will engender pages of discussion, some heated, some humorous, some disrespectful and some placating. Sometimes I read the first two pages of posts, roll my eyes and go on go another thread, and sometimes I will skip the thread entirely. Sometimes I will read all the posts, and marvel at the variety of opinions and ways of postings that people have. But I would never ban anyone from posting unless they have violated the rules.

I enjoy the posts of the community on these boards, I enjoy the information, the reviews and even the arguments. We just need to be respectful of each other. When I have finished my cruise, I may even post a review.

Thanks for all your help!

For me it really doesn't matter how many posts a user has. It's the quality of the information contained in the post that counts for me.

I surmise that if there was not a post count displayed next to the user name, many of the "attaboy" or "me too" posts would never be made.

Joe

No, Joe.... I don't think that is accurate.

I can only speak for myself but when I congratulate someone or give a thumbs up, it is because that is what I feel and wish to express. After all the years I have posted here, the count (most of the time) is meaningless to me.

It mattered a while ago when I was posting 20,000 and wanted to make it a meaningful post (meaningful to me)......and now I see I'm coming up to 25,000 and may use it for an 'atta boy' if there is someone to whom I wish to say that at the time. :D

No, Joe.... I don't think that is accurate.

I can only speak for myself but when I congratulate someone or give a thumbs up, it is because that is what I feel and wish to express. After all the years I have posted here, the count (most of the time) is meaningless to me.

It mattered a while ago when I was posting 20,000 and wanted to make it a meaningful post (meaningful to me)......and now I see I'm coming up to 25,000 and may use it for an 'atta boy' if there is someone to whom I wish to say that at the time. :D

Perhaps not for you, but for others it likely holds true.

I run several websites - one of the techniques we use to encourage forum participation is to recognize the number of posts made by each member. We have found this definitely increases member participation.

HAL does the same when recognizing Mariners. While the Mariner benefits may be not be great, past passengers of HAL continue to cruise HAL not only because they like the cruise line but also because they like the recognition they receive for the number of days they have cruised on HAL.

past passengers of HAL continue to cruise HAL not only because they like the cruise line but also because they like the recognition they receive for the number of days they have cruised on HAL.

Sorry, no, I disagree. I continue to cruise HAL because I like HAL. I think their recognition programs stink. I couldn't care less about them "recognizing" me for the # of days I've cruised with them, at least not the way they now recognize Mariners.

Back to posting #s, I really don't think people post things simply to increase the number by their name. I think that most everyone posts because they feel they have something to say.

I run several websites - one of the techniques we use to encourage forum participation is to recognize the number of posts made by each member. We have found this definitely increases member participation.

This doesn't mean a darn thing to me....it's not like you win a prize for every level you get to. The number of postings I have is about as important to me as my 100 day copper medal from HAL which hasn't seen the light of day since I received it.

This doesn't mean a darn thing to me....it's not like you win a prize for every level you get to. The number of postings I have is about as important to me as my 100 day copper medal from HAL which hasn't seen the light of day since I received it.

You mean you don't polish it regularly???:p

Didn't realize that I missed some of the posts on this thread. Copper, I am not talking about hearing jokes about lawyers, but when a complaint about someone being injured on board gets followed up by the posts about how some crooked lawyer will find a way to sue the cruise line. I am sure that those of you who post often know what I am talking about. Seeing as my DH is a nationally known elder law, trusts & estates attorney who only helps people, it does bother me to see these posts. I can certainly come up with plenty of jokes about anyone who posts on this board, but that is not the thing to do, and it has nothing to do with the intent of my comment.

I definitely did get something out of this thread though. I am going to try to remember to watch for a Photoshop class on one of my next 2 cruises. Anyone know if they will be doing that on the Noordam in February?

I definitely did get something out of this thread though. I am going to try to remember to watch for a Photoshop class on one of my next 2 cruises. Anyone know if they will be doing that on the Noordam in February?

Don't expect Photoshop - that is an Adobe product. The 'techsperts' are there to push Microsoft products only. The presentation is on how to use Microsoft products and Microsoft web sites, nothing more.

Rich

Archived