Pre cruise-- civitavecchia or airport hotel

I have a cruise booked in October out of Civitavecchia. I am contemplating whether I should spend the night prior to the cruise near the airport or by the cruise port. I'm thinking it might be more interesting to stay near the cruise port. Any thoughts on this or hotel recommendations? Thanks.

Barb

Depending on what time your flight arrives the day before, I'd opt to stay in Rome itself. You could see a lot on the afternoon you arrive and the morning before getting to Civitavecchia.

If you are already planning to spend time in Rome after the cruise, then I'd pick Civitavecchia. To me, there's never any good reason to stay near the airport unless you have an impossibly early morning flight.

It depends on your sense of adventure. We would spend a few days in Rome precruise but if we only had one night precruise we would overnight in Rome and sightsee Rome until noon and then take the train to Civitavecchia.

I have a cruise booked in October out of Civitavecchia. I am contemplating whether I should spend the night prior to the cruise near the airport or by the cruise port. I'm thinking it might be more interesting to stay near the cruise port. Any thoughts on this or hotel recommendations? Thanks.

Barb

A lot of cruisers, us included, stay at Hotel Traiano or Hotel Bramante in Civitavecchia. They are sister hotels and are usually filled with cruisers. We stayed there (Hotel Traiano) this past October. Civitavecchia is a nice little port city and has some nice restaurants and pizzarias and also some small grocery stores, in case you wanted to purchase water or soda for your cruise. All within walking distance. These hotels also provide free transportation to the port. They also offer pickup at the airport for a fee. Hotel Traiano is more centrally located while Bramante was recently opened as a hotel, though the building is not new. We are booked again at Hotel Traiano for our next cruise in November.

I have to concur with the general thought of the previous poster. Staying in Civitavecchia the night before a cruise is a great way to totally wind down. Past October we stayed at the Hotel Miramare and have a sea-view room. Absolutely fabulous. Will do it again on our next cruise out of Civitavecchia.

thank you all for your input.. I booked a room at the Hotel Bramante, as I am spending a couple of days post cruise in Rome. Now I just need to find a RESONABLE way to transfer from the airport to the hotel..

The most reasonable way, by far, is to take the train. Assumes no mobility issues and a reasonable amount/size/weight of luggage. Full details to help you decide on http://www.ftroute.com/ItalianTrains.htm

A lot of cruisers, us included, stay at Hotel Traiano or Hotel Bramante in Civitavecchia. They are sister hotels and are usually filled with cruisers. We stayed there (Hotel Traiano) this past October. Civitavecchia is a nice little port city and has some nice restaurants and pizzarias and also some small grocery stores, in case you wanted to purchase water or soda for your cruise. All within walking distance. These hotels also provide free transportation to the port. They also offer pickup at the airport for a fee. Hotel Traiano is more centrally located while Bramante was recently opened as a hotel, though the building is not new. We are booked again at Hotel Traiano for our next cruise in November.

What kind of fee does the hotel charge to pick up at the airport and transport you to the hotel ? I know the train would be a LOT more reasonable, but is not an option for us because of age and luggage.

What kind of fee does the hotel charge to pick up at the airport and transport you to the hotel ? I know the train would be a LOT more reasonable, but is not an option for us because of age and luggage.

This is the info Hotel Traiano sent to me.

We would also like to inform you that an airport shuttle is available for all our guests at the following costs:

- 110,00 euros for 1 to 3 people

- 140,00 euros for 4 to 6 people

- 180,00 euros for 7 or 8 people

This is the info Hotel Traiano sent to me.

We would also like to inform you that an airport shuttle is available for all our guests at the following costs:

- 110,00 euros for 1 to 3 people

- 140,00 euros for 4 to 6 people

- 180,00 euros for 7 or 8 people

Actually, they charged us 90 Euros this past October. There were three of us plus he also picked up another couple, so we split that 5 ways. Not too bad. Usually, the hotel is filled with cruisers and if you are lucky enough, there will be some on the minivan to split the cost. I guess they have raised their prices since then. It is definitely a hotel catering to cruisers. They do offer a free shuttle to the port and there are a ton of people being transported there as well. The driver was right there at Baggage Claim at the airport meeting us. We will do this again in November.

• 4 weeks later...

Last year before our Carnival Freedom cruise we stayed at the Traiano, and we can highly recommed this hotel for a pre-cruise. The rooms are very spacy and clean, the hotel is just some blocks away from shop and pizza restaurant, but the best thing is the transportation to/from the port.

Last year I drove with my own car to the hotel, and they gave me inexpensive paring space.

I payed the invoice via PAYPAL on their homepage and got 10% discount.

Archived