sail7seas - American Airlines

Krazy Kruizers

Also, if you're connecting between concourses that are not adjacent to one another, I would definitely use the train to save time.

I am speaking as an Atlanta resident with 3.4 million miles on Delta Air Lines.

I agree with you, AG. The train runs every minute and is very fast. A great people-mover over a very large airport.

Atlanta Hartsfield Airport is the largest passenger airport in the United States in passenger totals. It is also one of the most efficient in terms of number of passengers in and out every hour. I cannot imagine why anyone would have difficulty within this airport if they read the numerous boards and concourse signs which are everywhere. Many of us in Atlanta are not fond of the security and crowds that come with an airport this size, but like having the convenience of direct flights all over the world. It will become more efficient in the near future when it is wrenched out of the hands of the City of Atlanta and controlled regionally. You can actually fly an entire Caribbean "cruise" in and out of Atlanta for less than premium cruise fare. Those of you in Pittsburgh might consider connecting thru Charlotte or Newport News. Look at Jet Blue, a fantastic airline using D.C. as a major hub or Independence Air into Florida. Also, with the downsizing of the Delta Dallas hub, Cincinnati is going to be expanded.

Some of the complaints with the airlines sound exactly like the complaints re the cruiselines. Everyone wants better food and larger accomodations, yet demand discount fares to fly/cruise cheaper. You get what you are willing to pay for. Personally I would rather pay HAL more and have them reverse the cutbacks they obviously have made in food and service. :rolleyes:

Some of the complaints with the airlines sound exactly like the complaints re the cruiselines. Everyone wants better food and larger accomodations, yet demand discount fares to fly/cruise cheaper. You get what you are willing to pay for. Personally I would rather pay HAL more and have them reverse the cutbacks they obviously have made in food and service. :rolleyes:

We are in the position of saying, We ARE NOT getting what we are WILLING to pay for. We are paying for First Class. I feel the need to bring a small box of cereal in my carryon to be sure I will have something to eat. Usually our flights are not that long these days if they go as scheduled so it doesn't matter if we don't eat. But in this day and age one never knows so I make certain to have something edible with us.

We are paying alot and we are not receiving what we pay for.

(And, yes....I am aware we do not have to buy a first class ticket. That is not my point in this conversation.)

I was referring to the general need for price discounting in the airline and cruiseline industries and how the ensuing problems in both industries mirror each other. Lower revenue on airline and therefore cuts in food quality and service, the need to increase the number of seats and thereby cut the space allotted each airline pax, etc. The economic binds the airline and cruiseline industries are in is no secret and the reasons can be seen reading all these boards over a period of time.

There was NO reference or criticism of your particular situation or posts.

Believe it or not, I have always been a fan of United / Star Alliance primarily to keep my Mileage Plus miles accruing, etc. I have not found their onboard service, etc. to be up to par though. In the last month I have flown American Airlines 3 times and I have been *thoroughly* impressed. I have truly enjoyed the service, staff, food, etc. They were all morning flights with the "Bistro Bag" but still - it was more food than I would have ever gotten on United Airlines on a morning flight !!

I just may, upon using up all of my UAL miles, become an AA fan!

Atlanta Hartsfield Airport is the largest passenger airport in the United States in passenger totals. It is also one of the most efficient in terms of number of passengers in and out every hour. I cannot imagine why anyone would have difficulty within this airport if they read the numerous boards and concourse signs which are everywhere.

Um, because the signage really isn't all that helpful to someone who infrequently visits that airport? I have no trouble with O'Hare, and actually like DFW (certainly better than Houston, JFK, Dulles or Logan) but many people don't like them. My favorite for connections, though, is LAX actually. Just not very often that going thru LAX is worth the extra flight time.

-dave

Atlanta Hartsfield Airport is the largest passenger airport in the United States in passenger totals. It is also one of the most efficient in terms of number of passengers in and out every hour. I cannot imagine why anyone would have difficulty within this airport if they read the numerous boards and concourse signs which are everywhere. Many of us in Atlanta are not fond of the security and crowds that come with an airport this size, but like having the convenience of direct flights all over the world. It will become more efficient in the near future when it is wrenched out of the hands of the City of Atlanta and controlled regionally.
I agree there are numerous signs containing all the information someone would need to get from one place to another. The train is very efficient except at 1:00 in the morning.

Most of the complaints come from people making connections. If you come in at one end of a terminal and have to go the opposite end of that terminal or another, many find it difficult to make their connection without going at break neck speed. One thing lacking in Atlanta are people movers within each terminal.

We used AA couple of year ago for Boston - Paris roundtrip and liked the food...(more than on Lufthansa or KLM(Norwest))

I think AA prices are very competetive...I recently was able to book non stop roundtrip Boston - San Francisco for 215 pp!!!

Gizmo & others;

You are entirely correct about the lack of "people movers" within the Atlanta airport. It does resemble a marathon when your flights are at extreme

gates. This is a complaint that should and will be remedied when control of the airport turns over to a regional commission and many of the contracts for services and maintenance are given to reputable companies instead of cronies, relatives and empowerment programs of the Atlanta city council and mayors office.

Um, because the signage really isn't all that helpful to someone who infrequently visits that airport? I have no trouble with O'Hare, and actually like DFW (certainly better than Houston, JFK, Dulles or Logan) but many people don't like them. My favorite for connections, though, is LAX actually. Just not very often that going thru LAX is worth the extra flight time.

-dave

The signage at ATL is very good; it is no worse than the other major US hub airports. Keep in mind that Atlanta hosted the 1996 Summer Olympic Games. We had hundreds of thousands of visitors, many from foreign nations whose primary language is not English. A large number of these visitors arrived at ATL. Our airport worked fine for them. I can't understand all the griping from all you people.

:D Lots of stuff in life I'll NEVER understand!! Relax....don't take it personally. :) ( unless it was you who designed those signs and the placement of them. ;) ) It's just the opinion of some of us that we do not care for that airport. Truly, in the whole scheme of the world, it's about a minus three on the scale of who cares!!!

The signage at ATL is very good; it is no worse than the other major US hub airports.

For me, it is. That doesn't mean others would find it so, but evidently a number of people posting here do have problems with that airport. That doesn't mean you're a bad person, or that Atlanta isn't a nice city, just that some people don't like your airport. As the advertising jingle says, "everybody doesn't like something..."

:) -dave

For me, it is. That doesn't mean others would find it so, but evidently a number of people posting here do have problems with that airport. That doesn't mean you're a bad person, or that Atlanta isn't a nice city, just that some people don't like your airport. As the advertising jingle says, "everybody doesn't like something..."

:) -dave

What exactly is wrong with the signs?

I know plenty of people that dislike the Atlanta airport, but their dislike is because of trying to make connections. I never heard about a problem with signs.

Well, if you really want a fun time, try a tight connection at Heathrow! Talk about lack of signage! Also, the restrooms facilties near our gate were pretty much non-existent. This is a major airport with many people making connections, the security screening (went through twice before able to get to our gate for our connection to Rome) and we were coming direct from DIA, which in my mind has some of the tightest security around, seemed redundant.

MANY folks missed their connections, the driving around the airport on the bus leaves alot to be desired IMO. There are many great airports abroad, but there also many that I could live without ever traveling through again. I like Atlanta, for a huge airport, the job gets done.

The food on British Air was pretty good considering we were in coach. All drinks were free - and they had no problem giving out nice little bottles of wine (as many as we wanted) for each meal. We were able to request doubles on our cocktails without a problem either. That said, they sure weren't very sympathice to DH's arm cast - the woman in front of him had her seat fully reclined, even for meals - and he had a very hard time with his meals as she kept bouncing against the seat back.

BA cabin crew let several pax move up to World Traveller plus for small things like a television not getting the map channel, etc. - but we did notice that all those around us who were allowed to move seemed to have a UK accent. :)

Archived