Booking your cruise

fireguy091

Fireguy, I decide upon our Cruise based on the Itnerary & Price, once I have the Cruise line & Ship decided, then I check online, decide on our room by checking the Decks we prefer and since we like Mid Ship I pick a room between 6 to 10 rooms forward of the Lifts. Many people love the Aft Cabins, so it is all a matter of where you personally like to be. Once I have our Room decided I then see our TA. As she is calling the Cruise lines, I am there with her to answer any questions. If I did not use her, then I would book directly with the Cruiselines, not one off the Web. Our TA has always gotton us great prices plus she alerts me to any specials.

If I'm going to sail RCL, then I call them directly since the price will be the same whether I go thru them or a TA.

If I'm going to sail another cruise line, I'll use an online TA.

In any case, when I first start shopping for a cruise, I use an online TA website to narrow down my choices.

If I'm going to sail RCL, then I call them directly since the price will be the same whether I go thru them or a TA.

quote]

This is not true. Many TA's have group space booked in advance that could save you a lot of money on your RCCL cruise. If they don't then they might offer pre-paid gratuities, OBC's or other perks that you will be above and beyond any perks you are entitled to through RCCL. If you price your cruise only through RCCL you are leaving money on the table -- that could be yours! No matter where you book you are still guaranteed the lowest price. Just make sure you don't hook up with one of those $25-per-change TA's (who should not be in business).

I like having total control over my reservation. I see no reason to go through a middleman, so I book directly through the cruiseline by calling their 1-800 number. This way, if I have any questions, or wish to make any changes, I can handle it myself without having to ask someone else (a TA) to do it on my behalf. I find that I am my own best advocate. A TA has never done anything for me that I couldn't do more quickly and easily for myself.

I must admit that I am intrigued by TA's offers of OBC, but to me, it is not worth giving up control of my reservation.

I prefer to do it all myself online. It's painless, easy, and if i need support you can always call C&A and they are easy to deal with. We had a group on the Mariner this summer and went through a TA...well, needless to say, my family has given out way too many referrals. We had to change some things a few times leading up to the cruise and she was always hard to get ahold of...then we finally got on the ship and stuff was screwed up...and at that, she is a family friend...so yeah, i stick with the RCCL/Princess/Carnival/Celebrity websites. they are pretty user friendly.:D

I have used all of them......first few cruises I booked directly through the cruise line, used a TA, then the last one I used an online agency which I will have to say was nice.....since there were 5 families of us that booked through her...she told us there would be a "surprise" when we got on board....and there was an OBC waiting for all of us! A nice surprise that we weren't expecting. This time we are going through a local TA....so far so good but like someone said before....sometimes it is a little hard to get ahold of them??? and right now I have some questions about the fuel surcharges??? need to talk to her about it??

I have used all of them......first few cruises I booked directly through the cruise line, used a TA, then the last one I used an online agency which I will have to say was nice.....since there were 5 families of us that booked through her...she told us there would be a "surprise" when we got on board....and there was an OBC waiting for all of us! A nice surprise that we weren't expecting. This time we are going through a local TA....so far so good but like someone said before....sometimes it is a little hard to get ahold of them??? and right now I have some questions about the fuel surcharges??? need to talk to her about it??

You should be able to call RCCL direct with your Reservation Number and be able to verify whether or not you are getting the OBC for the fuel surcharge....

This is not true. Many TA's have group space booked in advance that could save you a lot of money on your RCCL cruise.

Never found a TA that had group space on a cruise during a time frame I wanted to go. There are only a limited number of cruises with groups space and finding the TA that holds the space, well good luck.

Not true. Most TAs will get you OBCs on RCL and Celebrity.
You'll still have the SAME up front charge from either TA or RCL. Also, to say most TA's will get you OBC is probably inaccurate as well.

Never found a TA that had group space on a cruise during a time frame I wanted to go. There are only a limited number of cruises with groups space and finding the TA that holds the space, well good luck.

First of all you are booking backwards. If you book by looking for the best price you will find the TA's with group space. And you are simply wrong about only a limited number of cruises group space.

You'll still have the SAME up front charge from either TA or RCL. Also, to say most TA's will get you OBC is probably inaccurate as well.

I think you must enjoy posting inaccurate information. I'm just not sure what your purpose is? (Just to be clear: I'm not a TA/none of my relatives are TA's/I have nothing to gain by suggesting TA's!) BUT you will absolutely get more using a TA than if you call RCCL and book yourself NOT TO MENTION the time and trouble you will save attempting to manage your own reservation, changes and details. Yes, it might only be a bottle of wine or other gift in your stateroom but it also can be prepaid tips or a substantial OBC based on your cruise value -- which could be very nice now that you can no longer combine offers with RCCL.

If you do not use a TA you are leaving money on the table. That's the bottom line. If you would rather not have the lowest price (lowest price can be cruise cost minus OBC or minus a gift or minus pre-paid tips or minus a free future trip... anything that reduces your net cost.) AND the hassle of dealing with multiple untrained, uninformed, staff most times you call then book yourself. (Personally, just my time is worth using a TA.)

If you have a TA you trust and whom you can contact easily, book with her/him from day 1. If you are doing a search for the best deal, the highest OBC with the lowest price online and have never used the agency before maybe you willl want to book yourself and transfer to the TA just before final payment to get the perk.

Archived