Last Minute Packing Questions

dleighb

My mother would like to bring her travel coffee pot for making her favorite coffee in the room in the morning. I can't find anything that prohibits this, but question that it would be allowed.

Also, I typically carry a small swiss army knife and my husband has a Leatherman Utility tool that also has a knife blade on it. Can these knives be brought on board. (I would think so as a dinner knife could do more damage, but in these security times, one never knows.

And lastly, I know we can bring wine, but no hard liquor. I told my mother that meant she couldn't bring her Godiva Chocolate Liqueur, but she wanted me to check. I can try to call HAL tomorrow, but thought someone here might know and save me the trouble of trying to reach someone the day after Christmas.

Thank you.

My mother would like to bring her travel coffee pot for making her favorite coffee in the room in the morning. I can't find anything that prohibits this, but question that it would be allowed.

Also, I typically carry a small swiss army knife and my husband has a Leatherman Utility tool that also has a knife blade on it. Can these knives be brought on board. (I would think so as a dinner knife could do more damage, but in these security times, one never knows.

And lastly, I know we can bring wine, but no hard liquor. I told my mother that meant she couldn't bring her Godiva Chocolate Liqueur, but she wanted me to check. I can try to call HAL tomorrow, but thought someone here might know and save me the trouble of trying to reach someone the day after Christmas.

Thank you.

Room service is available to bring coffee in the morning, just tip the steward bringing it a dollar or two. I don't think coffee pots are allowed but if they are someone will soon be along to correct me.:rolleyes:

I believe others have brought knives on board but in their checked baggage and not in their carryon. I'm pretty sure some posters have mentioned that they take them scuba diving, but bringing them back onboard may present a problem as everything gets screened when you come back on board.

Liquor is available to buy for in cabin consumption, I don't know about the Godiva though. If she wants to bring it with her make sure it is well wrapped in a pair of jeans and placed in a plastic ziplock bag in case of any leaks. Also make sure it is in her checked bag and not her carryon.

While I do not advocate her doing this I am pretty sure it happens........

All right, so if my mother wants coffee as soon as she wakes up, can room service bring it to her? If so, how does tipping them for coffee work? Is that part of the regular tips that are charged to the room and you would just add a bit extra at the end for compensation of something above the ordinary?

Also, if we need beach towels on shore, do we need to pack our own or can you borrow or rent them from the ship?

Thank you.

All right, so if my mother wants coffee as soon as she wakes up, can room service bring it to her? If so, how does tipping them for coffee work? Is that part of the regular tips that are charged to the room and you would just add a bit extra at the end for compensation of something above the ordinary?

Also, if we need beach towels on shore, do we need to pack our own or can you borrow or rent them from the ship?

Thank you.

You have 2 options for breakfast room service. 1. Use the breakfast order card that you hang on your door the night before indicating what time you want it delivered. This is the easiest method. 2. Call room service when you wake up and order it. Delivery times depend on how busy they are. Either way, please tip the person who delivers the room service at the time it is delivered

Do not pack your own beach towels. HAL provides these free of charge.

Diane

What do you normally tip the person who delivers your food or just coffee? Normally I tip on the cost of a meal, but I'm not sure how to figure meal costs. Or does food for room service cost additional?

I've read several posts on here that suggest $1 - $2 tip. However, I typically tip $3. Any amount will be appreciated by the room service staff! There is no charge for *most* of the food and beverages ordered from room service...refer to the room service information found in a book in your cabin. However, alcoholic beverages ordered from room service will be charged to your room.

Thank you.

We usually order room service for breakfast and each time, tip $2 or so. Whether we just order coffee or order breakfast. Takes the same amount of time for them to hike it to the stern of the ship from the kitchen.

When I traveled with my mom twice on HAL, we ordered room service because it was difficult for her to get dressed and get going in the morning. Both times it never failed that the tray arrived within the first five minutes of the time we had requested. We always tipped each room service waiter individually by the day -- $1 per person.

If Godiva is like Bailey's, it's vodka based, i.e. hard liquor and therefore not legal to bring on. If your mom can tolerate a different brand, however, there's usually a similarly flavored liqueur in your room service bar.

Two days to sailing. I'm so excited.

Archived