Info on Chile to Argentina Cruise - NCL Sun

suncityga

Hi... we are looking at the NCL Sun from Santiago to BA cruise in November 2009. We have a few questions and we would appreciate your feedback.

1) NCL book shows days 'at sea' and days 'cruising' different channels/fjords... would appreciate your thoughts as the 'cruising' portion. Is this done from the main decks? Is it a few hours a day? Is it close enough to land/wild life to appreciate? Please feel free to elaborate.

2) November is early Spring time... are there specific advantages to Spring or to Summer times?

3) This cruise stops in Puerto Montt, Puerto Chabuco, Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, Stanley and Montevideo.... what was your favorite?

4) Has anyone taken the ship excursion to Torres Del Paine National Park? What did you think?

5) Is there a place where I could find recent trip reports about this cruise?

Thank you so much for your help...

SunCity GA

Hi... we are looking at the NCL Sun from Santiago to BA cruise in November 2009. We have a few questions and we would appreciate your feedback.

1) NCL book shows days 'at sea' and days 'cruising' different channels/fjords... would appreciate your thoughts as the 'cruising' portion. Is this done from the main decks? Is it a few hours a day? Is it close enough to land/wild life to appreciate? Please feel free to elaborate.

2) November is early Spring time... are there specific advantages to Spring or to Summer times?

3) This cruise stops in Puerto Montt, Puerto Chabuco, Punta Arenas, Ushuaia, Stanley and Montevideo.... what was your favorite?

4) Has anyone taken the ship excursion to Torres Del Paine National Park? What did you think?

SunCity GA

We took this cruise three years ago except backwards from Buenas Aires to Santiago and it was amazing. LONG but great! On the sea days you see just that--sea but it took a full day doing the Chilean Fjords and those without a balcony were out on the decks watching the glaciers-cold but very beautiful. No wildlife-just lots of icebergs and glaciers but really beautiful We really liked Ushuaia--fun little town. We did do a tour out to the National Park--it was just ok--nice to see the country side but nothing fantastic. We loved buenos Aires-wonderful town to spend a few days in before the cruise! Lots to see!

HUbby had really wanted to see the Falkland Islands but the seas were too rough and windy so we did not get to go in.

When we did ours we did it through Uniworld on NCL and had our own representative who did talks on the different ports-arranged the tours at no additional price--small group around 40 with our own personal tour guide so that made it really special. Same price--do not know if they still do it though since they now specialize in River Cruises!

Plan to dress warm--we went in November and it was warm on the Argentina side but SO cold on the Chile side! The trip to see the penquins was fun but they were even too cold to come out of their holes-so windy!

I think you will love this cruise! I would do it again in a heartbeat and the Sun is a good size ship too- not too huge-very cozy!

We are trying to decide whether or not to do this cruise on the Sun or do RCCL's Radiance, in which the trip is reversed and doesn't include the Falkland Islands.

I have been on the South American board and received some very useful information like not to really count on going to the Falklands.

That said, I am leaning toward NCL because it is so much cheaper, we can get a huge onboard credit and a better room than on RCCL. We have two previous cruises with NCL -- the first was great but the second was not so good. This would be our ninth RCCL cruise.

What kinds of things should I be looking at in order to decide? Both are 14-nighters. Is it better to fly out of Santiago instead of Buenos Aires? Does the cabin really matter on this kind of trip?

We are trying to decide whether or not to do this cruise on the Sun or do RCCL's Radiance, in which the trip is reversed and doesn't include the Falkland Islands.

I have been on the South American board and received some very useful information like not to really count on going to the Falklands.

That said, I am leaning toward NCL because it is so much cheaper, we can get a huge onboard credit and a better room than on RCCL. We have two previous cruises with NCL -- the first was great but the second was not so good. This would be our ninth RCCL cruise.

What kinds of things should I be looking at in order to decide? Both are 14-nighters. Is it better to fly out of Santiago instead of Buenos Aires? Does the cabin really matter on this kind of trip?

I would say that the cabin is very important on a 14 day cruise.

Hi. We just got off the Buenos Aires to Santiago NCL trip.

It is amazing. The ports are incredible and we were able to get the stop in the Falklands. Let me say this....if you think it is a must be stop and want to do an itin. based solely because the ship goes here then choose that ship BUT in my opinion, even though it was nice it is not somewhere I would need to visit again. The island was not was I had envisioned. I enjoyed the time spent there, don't get me wrong but if I had to do it again I would look at all my options for ships.

The cruising of the channels and fjords had to be some of the best viewing we saw on the trip. Most definetely worth it. I did hear from the crew that the Santiago to BA trip passed all the glaciers at about 6 in the morning...not sure if that is true or not. But that is an FYI.

Puerto Montt was by far my most favorite port. We did a private tour with GV tours and aside from the non english guide the scenery was breathtaking. Reminded me of Germany! Such a beautiful part of the world. Ushuaia was my second favorite.

We took a private tour to the park and go the most wonderful guide. He spoke wonderful english and we made several stops along the way...hiking in areas in the park. We lucked out and found him at the end of the pier. Highly recommend doing this as we got an all day tour for $40 a person.

The advantage to spring is you MIGHT be able to see whales in Puerto Madryn. Other than that I can't think of a reason to go early in the season vs later.

If you have any questions you can email me and I will be happy to share photos and experiences with you.

My trip from BA to Santiago made all those stops. I was so broke from the Antartica overflight that I did not book a tour in Puerto Chacabucco.

Trust me when I tell you there is not a lot to see on foot in Puerto Chacabucco!

We are traveling the reverse route on jan 19th and very interested in how the weather was on your trip. What kind of clothes did you take.:confused:

Hi everyone. My DW and I are booked on this IT in Feb 2010. I am too am interesed in what weather to expect.

How did you find the people in the Ports? I have never been to South America before and am interested in how U.S. citizens are viewed?

We just booked this cruise for Mar. 2010 and could not believe the good deal for a 14 day cruise. I did some research by going to the ports of call under "South America" Alot of good info there. Already have a roll call going that I just signed on to.

I looked up the weather for the month of March just by going onto the google weather and typing in City & Country and it brings up the high and lows for that time of year.

It's going to be a great cruise. For all those going soon---please give us a review when you get back!!:D

Try our roll call thread: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=700035&page=41

I also wrote a formal review and quite a few others posted thoughts and opinions. I have heard it's cooler in March. We have also addressed specific questions on quite a few of the NCL Sun roll call threads for January to South America. Those threads aren't as lengthy as out thread was (right Cindy?)!

Ushuaia was my favorite port. Tierra Del Fuego was absolutely stunning and not to be missed!

;)

SunCity GA

1) Yes, sea is just sea. The Fjords and channels are spectacular and can be viewed from any areas where there are windows or outside. Yes, everything is close and it's amazing. It takes all day and well into the night to complete the straits/channels/fjords.

2) would imagine the weather to be a bit cooler. Weather ranged from in the 60's-70's in port (except BA and Santiago, very warm). This can change suddenly due to the hole in the ozone layer and fierce winds/temp changes are not uncommon.

3) Ushuaia, but I really liked Stanley unlike Cindy! ;)

4) I would have loved to but it was too far and too expensive!

5) Yes, like Gary said, under reviews.

Clothing: for the most part, take warm clothing. It is cool to cold/windy when cruising. I had 4 pair of shorts and 1-2 would have been just fine. I had one pair of jeans, I would recommend two or heavier slacks. Layer, layer, layer! We got lucky and had great weather, but I barely went outside when cruising the channels!

BA to Santiago: glacier viewing is starboard side

Santiago to BA : glaciers on port side

Hi. We just got off the Buenos Aires to Santiago NCL trip.

It is amazing. The ports are incredible and we were able to get the stop in the Falklands. Let me say this....if you think it is a must be stop and want to do an itin. based solely because the ship goes here then choose that ship BUT in my opinion, even though it was nice it is not somewhere I would need to visit again. The island was not was I had envisioned. I enjoyed the time spent there, don't get me wrong but if I had to do it again I would look at all my options for ships.

Cindy-

just curious....what about the Falklands was not what you envisioned?? Myself- I am excited to get there (which of course means that our ship will probably miss it) So- I'm curious to hear the details- so that way I won't be SO disapointed when the weather's bad and I miss it.

Thanks!

Lorrie

• 7 months later...

Just an update from my earlier post -- we decided on the 14-night Norwegian Sun and this would rank up there with one of my all-time favorite cruises (been on 37 or so). The itinerary was great and the Norwegian Sun was outstanding. It has made me a fan of NCL again and we are booked on the Pearl for fall break. Again, we had a great cruise and had a wonderful CC roll call and I think that made all the difference. And.........we did make it to the Falklands! If anyone has any questions, I would be happy to answer them. Also have all the contact information for private tours, which we did everywhere except the Falklands due to the short time there.

jdvmd

Did you do a review of your trip? What was the best part...the worst? Anything you wished you had of known/done before you left that you didn't?

I would love a copy of your private tour contact info. Just starting to plan our March 2010 cruise from BA to Valpariso and it would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Hi Clay,

I think you have found my roll call -- mar 29th (listed under the Norwegian Sun roll call). I have bumped it up for easier viewing. Basically, we were involved with all of the mentioned shore excursions that Captain DMW etc. lined up. We were in the second vehicle that Eurobimbo arranged to go to Punto Tombo (went there instead of where Captain DWM went). I also arranged a second group to go to the winery outside Montevideo. In the Falklands, you will tender. That is what hurt us -- we got off the ship late. It was enough time to walk around, have a beer and fish and chips, do some souvenier shopping, go back. There were tours you could take right there where the tender dropped off but we were told it wouldn't be worth it to go to Peggy's Cove as all the penguins had left the day before due to a large storm. This may happen to you as well because you are leaving around the same time that we did. Didn't do a review because honestly, there was just too much information to put down in a journal and we did so much each day. Captain DMW did a review, which I know you read and posted about. He did a wonderful job. No regrets about this trip whatsoever. We had a mini suite on the Pool Deck and it was perfect for viewing the glaciers etc. Wonderful commentary was provided by NCL. We loved the "Rounding the Horn" ceremony, which I don't think anyone has talked about. For the most part, we had great weather. There were a few instances where I thought the seas would be rough and they weren't and vice versa. The only down part of the whole trip was when our AA flight from Santiago was delayed. Delayed some more, only to be canceled and we were put up in a hotel at 3 a.m. We had to scramble to find someone to cover my husband's work and my son had to miss school for another day. Back to the Falklands -- I agree with the other poster -- It was not was I was expecting. It was a short day, you were tendered, it was a downpour, expensive. On the positive, very British, people were polite, good beer and fish and chips. Been there, done that, can't see going back unless it were on a similar itinerary.

To follow up -

Our cruise on the Sun DID make it to the Falklands, and I will have to say it was one of our favorite stops..... ever

A tiny slice of England WAY OUT in the S. Atlantic....people were wonderful....scenery, wildlife.....interesting...historical. We could have spent more time there.

We were lucky to have perfect weather and went on a nature hike with an incredible guide - Ally- who is also an elementary school teacher there.

My opinion- the Falklands are NOT to be missed!!!

Lorrie

Forgot to add -- If I were to do this trip again, I would go to the Simpson Valley during the Puerto Chacobuco stop. Again, this was a tender stop and we weren't there that long. The town has nothing except a salmon processing plant (= smell) and one grocery (I use that term very loosley). Everyone raved about going to Simpson Valley and said it had some of the most incredible scenery, i.e. rivals Hawaii. Heard there not that many taxis and vehicles available in Chatobuco but people from our ship were able to arrange tours right at the port gate.

Archived