Who else sailed 12/18 Ecstasy-Galveston and has a tale to tell !

charleecrat

I totally understand your feelings about this, and I'm not flaming you. However, what you just described was more like a walk through WalMart during Christmas shopping time. It was NOTHING like what happened in New Orleans at the Superdome, where there was SO MUCH more than "verbal altercations" and crowding. At the Superdome, there was violence, criminal acts, rape, sex acts in front of the kids, people using the floors and chairs as a toilet, filth, stench, not enough food & water, no diapers or formula for the babies, NO ELECTRICITY, a feeling of fear and desperation like you have never imagined, and the list goes on. No one has the intention of making light of your situation, which we know was hard for you to go through. But your comparision to something as horrible as what happened in the Superdome is totally inaccurate.

PS - I have boarded VIP at Galveston several times and have always had a most pleasant experience there. But that was under normal circumstances.

I heard the rape story and throwing the baby off the balcony and etc etc and you know later the New Orleans officials said that wasnt true. So who do you believe. ? They said it was all rumors and only like 7 people died most from natural causes.

Unless you were standing right there with us you have no idea. Unless you are a 12 year old child you have no idea. It is something one should never have to experience and surely should not have to pay for.

I heard the rape story and throwing the baby off the balcony and etc etc and you know later the New Orleans officials said that wasnt true. So who do you believe. ? They said it was all rumors and only like 7 people died most from natural causes.

Unless you were standing right there with us you have no idea. Unless you are a 12 year old child you have no idea. It is something one should never have to experience and surely should not have to pay for.

Like I said, I totally understand your feelings, and the way your cruise started out was a disaster for you and your family that you never exected to go through. I understand where you're coming from. I know it was tough, but it was not comparable to what went on at the Superdome.

As for the New Orleans/Katrina reference, I do not live there, but I did go down there and help move our good friends out as soon as they let people come into the city. We drove right past the Superdome. It looked like a war zone, and I was sickened to see it. Actually, the whole city looked like a war zone, and it practically was. I talked to our friend, who is a full time Army officer stationed in NOLA and was one of the men in charge of the things that went on in the Superdome area during the aftermath of Katrina. Understand me when I tell you I know what went on, because our friend was there throughout this terrible time, and he shared some of his horror stories with us. This is not "heard it through the grapevine" information. This came firsthand from someone who lived it.

Believe me, the information given to the news media was sugar coated. Naturally, they didn't want you to believe those ugly things would happen in the popular tourist destination of New Orleans. What we heard and saw on the news was bad enough, but it was SO MUCH WORSE in reality. And it was absolutely, positively nothing like waiting in a crowded cruise terminal with loud mouthed, rude people for a few hours (as hard as that was!), to board a luxury cruise ship for a vacation to the Caribbean. Sorry if that makes you mad, but it was not an appropriate comparison for you to make. I hope you never have to experience anything remotely similar to what happened at the Superdome. That's all I will say on the subject.

And unless you were at the Superdome during Katrina, you have no idea what went on there. I wasn't in the Superdome either, but I lost almost everything I have in Katrina and I can guarantee that the even the aftermath of Katrina was a whole lot worse than what you experienced waiting to board a cruise ship, much less the suffering people experienced during Katrina itself. You say "only like 7 people died" in the Superdome. How many people died while you were waiting to board the Ecstasy?

I really do feel sorry for your son that he was frightened. But by downplaying what went on during a major natural disaster, you're seriously offending people like me who still live with Katrina's effects every single day.

I realize you were maybe just making an off-the-cuff reference to the Superdome at first, but it became offensive when you downplayed the Superdome situation and brushed it off as something that just slightly inconvenienced people.

Okay, off soapbox now.

Does Carnival directly manage the port facility?

I think that almost everyone in the port facility works for a contract company that manages the embarcation process and for homeland security. I have been told that usually the particular cruise line has only about 2 employess actually in the facility.

So that would be another thing to research before you write your short letter. Carnival probably will not take responsibility for the port facility or employees.

Matter of fact if they offer compensation, they probably will term it a good will gesture and since you are interested in cruising again a goodwill gesture would be helpful. The folks that get really angry and say I'll never cruise with a particular line usually don't get the OBCs because it's a waste as far as the cruiseline is concerned.

And please remember that almost all cruiselines handle this type of situation the same. Everyone seems to want to bash Carnival. It has happened on just about every line and the cruisers are disappointed in many of the same ways. I have missed ports on HAL and Celebrity.

Does Carnival directly manage the port facility?

I think that almost everyone in the port facility works for a contract company that manages the embarcation process and for homeland security. I have been told that usually the particular cruise line has only about 2 employess actually in the facility.

So that would be another thing to research before you write your short letter. Carnival probably will not take responsibility for the port facility or employees.

Matter of fact if they offer compensation, they probably will term it a good will gesture and since you are interested in cruising again a goodwill gesture would be helpful. The folks that get really angry and say I'll never cruise with a particular line usually don't get the OBCs because it's a waste as far as the cruiseline is concerned.

And please remember that almost all cruiselines handle this type of situation the same. Everyone seems to want to bash Carnival. It has happened on just about every line and the cruisers are disappointed in many of the same ways. I have missed ports on HAL and Celebrity.

Thank you for your post.I saw some peeps with carnival tags. Some in dark uniforms.

Carnival cant be blamed at all for the delay. I would think after so many hours they would tell peeps if they want out of the mess and get a refund they should do just that. I would have happily re-scheduled. That is probably what ticked me off the most. That and not finding out after all that hassle that I was not going to the intended destination, finding a letter in my cabin stating that fact just iced the cake . Also I didnt see any authority figures around the terminal as things were heating up and begining to look like it could get out of control.

..... how was the OP supposed to do "some research".

This was only a 4 day cruise and it left after midnight, so 3 days. I personally think this was just the weather and unavoidable, but that doesnt mean I think the OP isnt entitled to feel dissapointed. This is sure the wrong place to voice it. This is a little different than missing Panama to me, but still dissapointing. Let folks vent?? Why argue with them that their feelings are not valid?

Firefly:

There's a very nice staffed Shore Excursion desk onboard, a very capable Cruise Director conducting a Port Talk, and if you still need more, a few minutes online at the internet cafe onboard can provide a wealth of information. Any of these sources would've been good for the OP to get his/her questions answered. When we missed Cozumel a few years ago and ended up in Costa Maya instead, I quickly got online onboard the ship and learned about the Chachobben Mayan Ruins which we visited and loved. Today there's NO excuse to say "I didn't know". Everything is at the tip of your fingertips.

In no way am I arguing that the OP has no reasons to feel dissapointed. However, things need to be placed into perspective and that's what I was doing with my message.

Missed Cozumel? Dissapointing maybe, but not the end of the world. Under the circumstances caused by weather which Carnival has no control over, they visited a different port instead. When life gives you lemons, make lemonade out of the situation!

I've been on 20 cruises. I recently figured out that 1 out of 5 cruises I've taken has had ports of call either changed or cancelled. Those are some pretty high odds if you ask me. However, I've learned (like any other cruiser has learned by now) that ports of call DO change and it's a chance we take when we cruise.

The purpose of my post was to help the OP see the brighter side of all the negative things that happened during their cruise. They missed Cozumel (and the chance to buy a coffee at the Cozumel Starbucks :rolleyes:)but they went to Progreso instead and could've made the most of it!

My family and I were on this cruise, our first, and I am beginning to wonder if we were in the same terminal as the OP. Yes, it was frustrating and it was crowded but it was far from chaos. We were disappointed and my 17 year old was very angry, but I kept reminding him that a vacation is what you make of it, and we tried to make the most of it. I will say that communication could have been better on Carnival's part but we learned, while we were still in the terminal that 1. we were not going to Cozumel and 2. we could cancel the cruise and get a full refund. At one point my husband really considered cancelling and trying again at a later time. I know that the difference in the two ports are quite stark, however, we visited the Mayan ruins and concluded that it was a more than adequate substitute. We never felt unsafe or scared of the people there. Everyone we encountered was very friendly and glad to see us. The time we had on the ship was very enjoyable and I would go again in a heartbeat and in fact my 17 year old that was so angry initially in the terminal came away from that trip saying that it was his favorite vacation ever.

I don't want to minimize what the OP experienced, because only she knows what it was like for her and her family. However, my family and I put the delay and the disappointment behind us and had a great time once we boarded the ship. Unfortunately, my husband was not feeling well due to the rough seas on the last day so we may never cruise again to get to experience a "normal" cruise with no unexpected detours. We are resigned to the idea that in order to see Cozumel, we will just fly there and hope for better weather.

My family and I were on this cruise, our first, and I am beginning to wonder if we were in the same terminal as the OP. Yes, it was frustrating and it was crowded but it was far from chaos. We were disappointed and my 17 year old was very angry, but I kept reminding him that a vacation is what you make of it, and we tried to make the most of it. I will say that communication could have been better on Carnival's part but we learned, while we were still in the terminal that 1. we were not going to Cozumel and 2. we could cancel the cruise and get a full refund. At one point my husband really considered cancelling and trying again at a later time. I know that the difference in the two ports are quite stark, however, we visited the Mayan ruins and concluded that it was a more than adequate substitute. We never felt unsafe or scared of the people there. Everyone we encountered was very friendly and glad to see us. The time we had on the ship was very enjoyable and I would go again in a heartbeat and in fact my 17 year old that was so angry initially in the terminal came away from that trip saying that it was his favorite vacation ever.

I don't want to minimize what the OP experienced, because only she knows what it was like for her and her family. However, my family and I put the delay and the disappointment behind us and had a great time once we boarded the ship. Unfortunately, my husband was not feeling well due to the rough seas on the last day so we may never cruise again to get to experience a "normal" cruise with no unexpected detours. We are resigned to the idea that in order to see Cozumel, we will just fly there and hope for better weather.

that' s what im going to do, just fly. How were you notified of the change in port and the refund policy because we were not.?? We were staying at the Galvez who was the first to inform us that the ship was delayed. When I called Carnival they told us we better stay at the hotel if they would allow us and the hotel did so we didnt arrive until 6 or7 p.m. by that time it was extremely crowded and no one told us anything about refunds and my neighbors in another penthouse were totally unaware of the refund. They had been there longer than us so somehow they found out about the port change. It's obvious Carnival was not shouting that out over the loudspeaker had they done so I know several groups around us in the back near the doors would have left in a hearbeat. All of this we find out after we get on the boat and didnt find out about the refunds until a day or two later. We still had a good time, we didnt let it spoil our trip totally, it just wasnt handled correctly and now that im researching Carnival they seem to have a habit of dropping Cozumel for Progresso even in good weather from what I have read. ( not on this board though LOL)

that' s what im going to do, just fly. How were you notified of the change in port and the refund policy because we were not.?? We were staying at the Galvez who was the first to inform us that the ship was delayed. When I called Carnival they told us we better stay at the hotel if they would allow us and the hotel did so we didnt arrive until 6 or7 p.m. by that time it was extremely crowded and no one told us anything about refunds and my neighbors in another penthouse were totally unaware of the refund. They had been there longer than us so somehow they found out about the port change. It's obvious Carnival was not shouting that out over the loudspeaker had they done so I know several groups around us in the back near the doors would have left in a hearbeat. All of this we find out after we get on the boat and didnt find out about the refunds until a day or two later. We still had a good time, we didnt let it spoil our trip totally, it just wasnt handled correctly and now that im researching Carnival they seem to have a habit of dropping Cozumel for Progresso even in good weather from what I have read. ( not on this board though LOL)

I only heard about the refund option through people who were standing around us. They actually asked one of the Carnival empolyees who were walking around and they directed them to an office near where they were doing the check in process. As for the port change, that was also mentioned in the crowd around us but later a notice was circulated around. And yet another notice came later that mentioned the gastroenteritis ordeal. So, no, I don't think Carnival was very forthcoming with any of their information, you had to ask or demand to know.

I only heard about the refund option through people who were standing around us. They actually asked one of the Carnival empolyees who were walking around and they directed them to an office near where they were doing the check in process. As for the port change, that was also mentioned in the crowd around us but later a notice was circulated around. And yet another notice came later that mentioned the gastroenteritis ordeal. So, no, I don't think Carnival was very forthcoming with any of their information, you had to ask or demand to know.

That was/is my chief complaint and looking back I can surely see how the peeps that had been there 12 hours longer than me were really getting steamed.

I forgot someone told me there was a wedding to take place at Cozumel. Im not sure if the bride and groom both were on the cruise or if one was meeting the other, but they said all these friends/family flew to Cozumel for the wedding and you guessed it, NO WEDDING. So very sad for them. One of my calls to the purser's office I asked if they had heard that and they said yes and that they decorated their room and brought them a cake and now they are happy. Good I hope they were happy. I bet they never thought they were not going to make their destination or they would have canceled and jumped on a plane if they could have. I felt so bad for them whomever they were.

That was/is my chief complaint and looking back I can surely see how the peeps that had been there 12 hours longer than me were really getting steamed.

I forgot someone told me there was a wedding to take place at Cozumel. Im not sure if the bride and groom both were on the cruise or if one was meeting the other, but they said all these friends/family flew to Cozumel for the wedding and you guessed it, NO WEDDING. So very sad for them. One of my calls to the purser's office I asked if they had heard that and they said yes and that they decorated their room and brought them a cake and now they are happy. Good I hope they were happy. I bet they never thought they were not going to make their destination or they would have canceled and jumped on a plane if they could have. I felt so bad for them whomever they were.

I heard about the wedding that was supposed to take place in Cozumel. I, too, feel bad for the bride, groom and the entire family. I am not sure what the outcome was but I did see a couple dressed in wedding attire taking pictures one evening before dinner. I don't know if that was the couple supposed to be married in Cozumel or if they had already married and were cruising for a honeymoon.

WOW... First... I'm sorry you were delayed. We experienced a similar delay several years ago, the mass chaos, etc.... but I certainly wouldn't compare it to anything ever similar to the death, turmoil, etc that those poor people went through, but what you said right here.... has left me speechless. WHO do I believe? I watched it... and what you experienced regardless of what you say, was NOTHING like what happened at the superdome... I WATCHED a baby almost die in his mother's arms... people screaming in the night, dying on the streets... you had to be delayed before you got on a CRUISE SHIP. I'm astonished that you even made the comparison, but then defended it and THEN in this post, tried to blow off what actually happened in the Superdome and make it seem like we were fed a bunch of lies and "ONLY" 7 people died, etc. I am so highly offended by this post right here, that I really can't even comment beyond that... Sure, it's a pain in the neck to be stuck in the terminal for so many hours without food and water... with angry people. But you aren't forced to stay there, you could leave and go home if you wanted... your lives were not in danger at anytime... you joked and laughed about the Superdome people not having to "pay for their torture"... so offensive, some of those people did pay, with their lives. You got to go on a cruise. You didn't "pay" for VIP treatment... You paid for a suite, which just so happens to have priority boarding... it's really not that big of a deal. I understand you being upset... we missed an entire day and didn't board until evening once when our ship was delayed because it was used for the super bowl... we didn't even get a $40 credit like you guys did... but we still had a great time, I never even thought to write a letter... it was mass chaos sure, but we rolled along with it... and not one time did I ever feel like my life was in danger, if I did, you can better believe I would have LEFT the terminal, especially if I had a child with me. Good luck...

Not very smart bride and groom!!! Why anyone would plan a destination wedding that revolved around a cruise, and people flying there to meet them there, is beyond me... ports are cancelled all the time... that is VERY risky... wow, that is insane... it's rare that you hear of people doing that. If they never thought that was a possibility, they never did a shred of research... most important day of your life, one would think you would at least find out the risk of not making the port :p Hopefully their friends and family had a good time, LOL!!!!

I am not sure why I even read this whole thread as it is getting more ridiculous by the second. I love how someone tries to voice their experience and then it turns into a "how can you offend those of us that lived through Katrina thread?". My husband committed suicide and when someone motions a fake gun to their head out of frustration I don't come unglued. This is the third thread I have read today where people are making this personal. People come here to vent for crying out loud, this person had a experience that made her uncomfortable - let her get it off her chest already.

Good luck OP, please realize that after 7 cruises w/ Carnival they have almost always made things right for me and I have had great vacations. I don't want you to think what happened to you is normal. I hope you have a better experience in the future and give cruising another try.

I am not sure why I even read this whole thread as it is getting more ridiculous by the second. I love how someone tries to voice their experience and then it turns into a "how can you offend those of us that lived through Katrina thread?". My husband committed suicide and when someone motions a fake gun to their head out of frustration I don't come unglued. This is the third thread I have read today where people are making this personal. People come here to vent for crying out loud, this person had a experience that made her uncomfortable - let her get it off her chest already.

Good luck OP, please realize that after 7 cruises w/ Carnival they have almost always made things right for me and I have had great vacations. I don't want you to think what happened to you is normal. I hope you have a better experience in the future and give cruising another try.

My problem came with trying to make light of the superdome situation... you could compare her situation with many things, but to come back and try to make the superdome seem "not so bad" in an effort to make her situation seem worse, just sat wrong with me... When you say "only 7 people died", and somehow that is supposed to make things better, it doesn't sit well with me... if your situation was SO bad, you should have gotten your child out of there... if your situation was comparable to a situation where 7 (it was actually 10) people died, you should have taken your family and left. That was my point... you don't have to use one of the most horrific moments in history to try to make your situation appear worse... it just makes you look like you are trying to be dramatic... say what happened... the first reference to the superdome was one thing, the laughing about them not paying pushed it a little... but then to go on about it... I had to say something... we all know that the situation at the Carnival terminal, was NOTHING like what happened at the Superdome, so the analogy on that should pretty much just end. Maybe it should be more like the mall on black friday? That might be a stretch too, but probably a little more accurate...

BTW, I'm sorry to hear about your husband... my bf committed suicide when I was 16 and I still do come a little unglued when people do that, especially my 5 year old nephew... :(

If you're speaking about Hurricane Katrina, your Superdome comparison/joke is not accurate, appropriate, funny, or cute. No matter how bad your experience was, I'm pretty sure it doesn't compare to the most destructive natural disaster in American history.

I'm really sorry your trip was ruined. I know how much your family must have been looking forward to it, and I'm sorry your son was so frightened, but I really don't think that comparison is needed.

Amen, that was in extremely bad taste and very poor judgement............

WOW... First... I'm sorry you were delayed. We experienced a similar delay several years ago, the mass chaos, etc.... but I certainly wouldn't compare it to anything ever similar to the death, turmoil, etc that those poor people went through, but what you said right here.... has left me speechless. WHO do I believe? I watched it... and what you experienced regardless of what you say, was NOTHING like what happened at the superdome... I WATCHED a baby almost die in his mother's arms... people screaming in the night, dying on the streets... you had to be delayed before you got on a CRUISE SHIP. I'm astonished that you even made the comparison, but then defended it and THEN in this post, tried to blow off what actually happened in the Superdome and make it seem like we were fed a bunch of lies and "ONLY" 7 people died, etc. I am so highly offended by this post right here, that I really can't even comment beyond that... Sure, it's a pain in the neck to be stuck in the terminal for so many hours without food and water... with angry people. But you aren't forced to stay there, you could leave and go home if you wanted... your lives were not in danger at anytime... you joked and laughed about the Superdome people not having to "pay for their torture"... so offensive, some of those people did pay, with their lives. You got to go on a cruise. You didn't "pay" for VIP treatment... You paid for a suite, which just so happens to have priority boarding... it's really not that big of a deal. I understand you being upset... we missed an entire day and didn't board until evening once when our ship was delayed because it was used for the super bowl... we didn't even get a $40 credit like you guys did... but we still had a great time, I never even thought to write a letter... it was mass chaos sure, but we rolled along with it... and not one time did I ever feel like my life was in danger, if I did, you can better believe I would have LEFT the terminal, especially if I had a child with me. Good luck...

the news reported that only 7 people died and most from natural causes. not me. stories were going around like babys were being flung off balconies, we never heard if that was the truth or not. I did see one guy with a beat up face. And furthermore I was referring to the crowd in the after math had you read, not the tragedy of the abandonded people. You can thank mayor Nagan for that. He was the one who wouldnt even let them have water dropped.

the news reported that only 7 people died and most from natural causes. not me. stories were going around like babys were being flung off balconies, we never heard if that was the truth or not. I did see one guy with a beat up face. And furthermore I was referring to the crowd in the after math had you read, not the tragedy of the abandonded people. You can thank mayor Nagan for that. He was the one who wouldnt even let them have water dropped.

Don't believe everything you read or hear in the news. The Superdome officials and State Officials reported 10 people dead at the Superdome, 24 people in and around the Convention Center. As for other rumors, there were plenty... that is what happens when one watches CNN. There was a suicide... there were other things that happened that WERE covered up... bottom line, it was not a place anyone would ever want to be... people are in therapy for the rest of their lives from what they witnessed there... days and days on end living in filth, starving... as for the crowd, we are talking thousands upon thousands... it just doesn't compare and it was just a bad analogy... but just don't try to dismiss what happened there. We have a lot of CC members that live there, and had their lives forever changed during that time... And there are a lot of people to blame... but this isn't the place for it. It was a bad analogy and we should just move on... you were delayed, sadly, it happens when you are dealing with travel.... when you are traveling with thousands of others, you have to deal with the congestion, and it's not fun... I've been there... you just have to make the best of a bad situation. It's really hard to communicate when you have thousands of people in the terminal... I don't know how they could do much better... especially when something happens last minute... for us, we tried to check in and they told us to come back 4-6 hours later... and when we did, they said to come back at 8pm... it was a madhouse... we eventually got on and all was well, but it's not a fun way to start your vacation... but you have a choice... you let it ruin your vacation, or you see it as part of the adventure... I would much rather choose the latter and have ONE ruined day rather than my entire vacation :)

yes we got 92 dollars or something like that, but I think the charge was 146.00. Im looking for the original bill now. They also gave us 120.00 they said to eat on but we were in the line and they told us we could not leave so how could we have ate? They refused to take the bill off for the 10 a day tips for that first day. So I guess you can subtract for that from their gift.

Did you actually ask them to take the 10 off because their policy is that you can adjust it up or down and they honor that . So if you didn't ask why would they the workers all worked on that day trying to prepare for everyone. Was there food waiting on you when you boarded? I can't imagine them not having the late night buffet for everyone!

----------------

Are you for real? Do you hear yourself? Whatever sympathy that you might have gotten for your "ORDEAL" has completely disappeared. Please, do yourself a favor and never grace us with your logic or compassion again. :mad:

I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I dont worry about bashers, they are a dime a dozen, even wondered if some of them have ever even seen the inside of a ship LOL. It 's a pack mentality.

I was actually hoping someone who was there might know more than I did or heard the people up ahead of us so I might find out what was going on. it was so very packed in that area I couldnt tell you who was saying what. It was a strange thing that I paid for and felt like a sucker after having done so. From what ive heard Carnival might help out, but im not so sure I will do it again not cause of me but my family is not that thrilled.

Back to your husband, again I feel for you and your loss. A good friend of mine got a divorce and her ex remarried. A few years later the cops called him and said his car was left on the road with the trunk open. He is the one that went and was wondering why she left the trunk up. I dont know why but we walked around the area, there were some woods next to the road and there she was. She shot herself. He was so devistated. It was a shock to all of us.

After we take our next trip which I had to book today to keep from loosing my flyer miles, I might try to work on them to go again. I thought another disaster was about to happen with Delta. There skymiles page was not working so I couldnt do anything to fix my miles that expire on the 31st. The cruise was suppose to add 1,500 but it didnt work. They claim if you loose your miles you can have them re-instated but nothing else they told me was correct so I just booked 3 flights to LAX. Havent told them this yet, but, I think carnival sails from Los Angeles too ! LOL Maybe just maybe we can see about a cruise leaving from there. Something else to get excited about at least.

I am so sorry to hear about your husband. I dont worry about bashers, they are a dime a dozen, even wondered if some of them have ever even seen the inside of a ship LOL. It 's a pack mentality.

Well, I didn't bash you for your review... I bashed you for your bad analogy... and considering that until less than 2 weeks ago, you had never seen the inside of a ship, that probably wouldn't have stopped you from having an opinion on that subject ;) But I have seen the inside of just a few :)

Archived