Mariner of the Seas Around the Horn of South America

glgolfer

Newbies here. We are joining your wonderful cruise in Santiago on February 3rd. CDC says no yellow fever or malaria shots needed for Chile, Peru, Costa Rica & Mexico. We don't have shot cards and all we know is that we have had tetanus shots in 2005.

Should we freak out with less than a week left and ask our doctor to give us the shots we can't verify or will we be OK for the rest of the cruise between Santiago and LA?

I'm gonna call RC tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.....great blog!

Newbies here. We are joining your wonderful cruise in Santiago on February 3rd. CDC says no yellow fever or malaria shots needed for Chile, Peru, Costa Rica & Mexico. We don't have shot cards and all we know is that we have had tetanus shots in 2005.

Should we freak out with less than a week left and ask our doctor to give us the shots we can't verify or will we be OK for the rest of the cruise between Santiago and LA?

See the LIVE LIVE thread for your answer!!:)

Rick

Yellow Fever Thread

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=859390&highlight=

Morning Paul,

Today should be your last day going south before heading around the horn. Would love a live weather report of today, and Captain Johnny's prediction of the weather for tomorrow. We are all hoping for smooth seas.

Apparently it's been pretty calm so far........or Bobbie would be complaining!!:eek:

Rick

I'll answer for you. You don't need the shot!

have a great cruise

Weather report for Ushuaia is mid 50s to low 60s and 30% chance of rain.

We'll be going around the Hirn about 1500 which will be 1300 EST. We're still 2 houes ahead.

I believe we will be 2 hours ahead of est. until we get to Peru.

About 0800 on Wednesday, day 10/45. Course 207 degrees, speed 17.3 knots.

We've traveled 7323 Nautical Miles.

Sunrise was 0535 and sunset will be 2129.

Wind is 25 MPH from the NE.

Seas fairly calm, but starting to move the ship a little.

Land (mountains) off our port side. Our cabin is port side at the front elevators (1552).

We're doing a theater tour at 1000 this morning. We did a bridge tour the last leg. i talksed to 3 of the dancers in the Windjammer yesterday. They were from Orlando, Virginia and Canada. The young lady from Canada was not happy she could not get a job dancing in the USA because of the immigration policies.

They had a 70s show on the Promenade last night featuring the disco songs of the 70s along with the music of ABBA. It was very good and a lot of fun. This cruise staff is excellent.

Getting close to breakfast time.

Good morning Paul!! Well, today is the day that many have been waiting for. Interesting to hear the report yesterday from Captain Johnny that he does not know the weather and sea conditions till he rounds the horn, and heads for the Straits. With a Princess ship a couple of day ahead of him, I would think that they would communicate. Certainly airlines communicate weather and turbulant conditions at certain altititudes while enroute.

Today will be a special day........at 207 degrees you are still headed south, but with a westerly drift. It looks like you have 4 to 5 more hours till you are at Cape Horn............the most southerly point on your trip!:)

Then you will be turning almost due north to head inland to Ushuaia.

Joe............if you are reading this.......thanks for the info on Darvocet. I picked some up from my Doctor yesterday.........for the trip!:)

Paul...........give us your rundown this evening.........of the Cape!!

Rick

Joe............if you are reading this.......thanks for the info on Darvocet. I picked some up from my Doctor yesterday.........for the trip!:)

Rick

Rick what did I miss about Darvocets?

We here in oHIo are getting dumped on with snow and ice.

I am having a bad pain day and can't get to the doctor until tomorrow.

Sometiimes I think the surgery on my hand didn't work.

Rick what did I miss about Darvocets?

We here in oHIo are getting dumped on with snow and ice.

I am having a bad pain day and can't get to the doctor until tomorrow.

Sometiimes I think the surgery on my hand didn't work.

It was Joe's recommendation over Voltaren......that I use.

Rick

Just wanted to stop by and wish all of you boarding the Mariner for the last leg of this fantastic journey.................a Bon Voyage.

Safe travels to all of you.

George, how's your weather? We've gotten about 10 inches of snow so far and it is still falling!!

Just wanted to stop by and wish all of you boarding the Mariner for the last leg of this fantastic journey.................a Bon Voyage.

Safe travels to all of you.

George, how's your weather? We've gotten about 10 inches of snow so far and it is still falling!!

Not sure just how much we got, it started as snow then freezing rain back to snow.

too heavy for my snow blower show I shoveled, not a good idea for me it was way too heavy

do to the ice. It has stopped now and the clean up can begin.

Does anyone know if the dining times on the 3rd leg will be the same as any other cruise? There was some talk that it may be later than the regular time. Also, does anyone know when the formal nights will be?

That would not be a good thing. We just convinced my MIL to dine with us at the late time and moving it later would basically have her not eating with us at all

Clear and calm around the horn today. Arrived about 1400 and the Captain and entourage went ashore to give some gifts to the lighthouse keeper.

We should see footage of the trip on TV.

We spent an hour od so turning around and then going around the island.

Now on our way to Usuhaia.

They say the weather at the horn and Usuhaia can be all four seasons in one day. Hard to predict.

The dining times will be the same. 1800 and 2030,

2 of the three formal nights will be the 2nd day and the next to last day.

The 3rd will be on a sea day between those 2.

Silversea HSH Prince Albert II

Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas

I don't recall but one long pier sticking out. The win can be so strong that the ship uses bow thrusters to take the strain off the bow lines. I remember the days when I could have just walked on board the Silversea and visited and took pictures.

Silversea Cruises names its new explorer ship HSH Prince Albert II

Silversea Cruises announced today that its new expedition ship (originally acquired as World Discoverer II) will be renamed HSH Prince Albert II, in tribute to Prince Albert of Monaco.

The name is fitting for a ship that will be dedicated to the exploration and conservation of the planet’s oceans, wildlife and indigenous cultures. The Principality of Monaco, aside from being the world’s capital of wealth and luxury — and home to Silversea’s global headquarters — has long been recognized as a leader in marine environment research. Prince Albert I, a pioneer in oceanographic science and exploration, first explored the Arctic’s Svalbard archipelago in the early part of the last century, and founded the world renowned Oceanographic Institute. In 2006, Prince Albert II plotted a similar course on part of his journey to the North Pole, in an effort to add to the scientific body of work started by his ancestor — and to draw attention to the effects of global warming on the Arctic regions. As a result, the Prince is the first incumbent head of state to have reached the northern most point on Earth.

Silversea’s new adventure ship sets sail on June 12, following a naming ceremony in Monte Carlo, it will herald the beginning of a new mode in exploration cruising. The Inaugural Season will offer voyages of 10 to 21 days focusing on polar adventures. Sailing first to the Arctic Circle, Svalbard, Iceland and Greenland for the summer, the ship will then reposition to South America and Antarctica for autumn and winter voyages. From mid-August to November 2008, HSH Prince Albert II will journey from the east coast of North America through the Panama Canal to Los Angeles before heading south to Ushuaia. Along this special repositioning route are opportunities to explore the Sea of Cortez (with an extension to Copper Canyon), Falklands and South Georgia Island. Pricing starts at $3,867, per person, double occupancy, and includes shore excursions as well as Silversea’s signature all-inclusive amenities.

The Lloyd’s Register A1A ice-rated vessel is purpose-built for expedition cruising and is currently undergoing an extensive multimillion-dollar renovation at the Fincantieri shipyard in Trieste, Italy. After the ship’s refit, the ice-class vessel will carry just 132 guests in 66 ocean-view accommodations, many featuring private verandas. With staterooms and suites ranging from 180 to over 600 square feet, it will provide some of the largest accommodations of any expedition ship. 18 suites will each feature more than 400 square feet of luxury.

Rick

Just try some before you need them to be sure you don't have any side effects. Put a little food on the stomach to decrease any gastric irritation.

I think they are Darvocet-N 100. Pretty good analgesic with some anti-inflammatory properties but of course not as strong as the Cox-2 drugs, but then it doesn't have the possible cardiovascular side effects of the Cox-2 inhibitors. I have seen it be better than Demerol 100 mg p.o at times to relieve pain.

Some people do get nauseated when they take it.

Just try some before you need them to be sure you don't have any side effects. Put a little food on the stomach to decrease any gastric irritation.

I think they are Darvocet-N 100. Pretty good analgesic with some anti-inflammatory properties but of course not as strong as the Cox-2 drugs, but then it doesn't have the possible cardiovascular side effects of the Cox-2 inhibitors. I have seen it be better than Demerol 100 mg p.o at times to relieve pain.

Some people do get nauseated when they take it.

Joe...........tried it yesterday........no nausea........and it does work!!

It is the N-100. Synthetic!!

Thanks again for your suggestion. If I can do anything for you here in Scottsdale.......please let me know!!

Rick

Glad to hear the weather was nice for the passage today.

So is the Captain going to the lighthouse a tradition for a ship passing the horn for the first time?

Dave.............you bring up a very interesting subject. What are the traditions of ...........crossing the equator..........rounding the horn of South America..........crossing the international date line??

I didn't realize that there was a commerative to a new vessel passing the horn for the first time.

Who else can tell the stories.........of ships and traditions??:)

Rick

Archived