LIVE LIVE LIVE from the MARINER with MERION MOM for 53 DAYS!!!

Merion_Mom

Aha! I handled one of them in the local camera store, just about 2 weeks ago

and was impressed by the incredible zoom range! :eek:

I came away thinking that maybe if I'd been shown that model before I got to the D60,

I could have easily bought the P80 instead,

and for half the price of the D60 with kit lens

but then I wouldn't have had the (Sigma and other)interchangeable-lens option

and I wouldn't be posting these wiiide shots here for you guys

- so it all worked out well in the end.

I was looking at the P80 with a view to recommending it to my step-dau

who really should buy it.

On the expensive subject of rain-drenched cameras!

I've lately taken to stuffing a supermarket plastic bag in a pocket

if I'm taking the D60 out into possibly-inclement weather.

If the rain comes down, I can quickly wrap the camera in the bag!

Beats having a wet motherboard, etc.

I was going to buy the P80 when the camera store recommended the Panasonic Lumix FZ28. I got it just before Christmas and love it. Check on CNET for reviews. Excellent. AplMac, love your wide angle shots. The pics are gorgeous and I can't wait to be on the Mariner in 3 months. :)

Well we will have to find a fun place to watch the game 2 weeks from today !

Boy who does a person from the Cleveland area root for in the Steelers / Ravens game?

We root for neither team....................who cares who wins that one..................because........................

On Super Bowl Sunday we root for the Arizona Cardinals!!!:D

Carol

I have been meaning to ask if the ship did the laundry deal ?

Trying to figure out if they will do it on the 3rd leg. and when .

Great photos thanks for posting them, is the internet working better now ?

The laundry deal ($20 for a small bag stuffed with all the underwear and tee-shirts it will hold) is offered as Thursday pick-up, Friday delivery.

Another important thing: B2B'ers are being offered another laundry deal. Half price on all laundry and dry cleaning prices..

Hi Merion Mom- what an adventure... I will be on the Mariner 5/24 with adult children and their signifigant others... Can you do me a favor and check locations of our rooms. My son and gf got room- interior 7637, my dd and bf got a promenade room 7595 and we(DH and I )got a balcony 7554. Can you see if any are too close to elevator or something... For the promenade room- is it close to the bridge so their view would be obstructed? Any help would be appreciated. We live in Montgomery Township (Horsham/Lansdale area). Used to live in Overbrook Park 25 years ago- love the Main Line. My DD was also born in Lankenau.

Snow is falling, Eagles lost. Have a great trip- that is a once in a lifetime trip!

Nadia

Nadia, all locations on this ship are good. Close to the elevators is fine - they are not really right on the cabin corridors at all. I can't help you with what you'll see through your Promenade-facing window.

Sad about the Eagles, but what the heck....*I* am on the cruise of a lifetime!!!!!

dining area looking into the Master Bedroom in daylight:

2491766970077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

Master Bedroom at night:

2774451640077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

more of Master Bedroom:

2292555540077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

dining area, including the tropical floral bouquet sent by Dave:

2446853620077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

It takes TWO pictures to show you the balcony:

2693311990077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

2277894430077959744S600x600Q85.jpg

We root for neither team....................who cares who wins that one..................because........................

On Super Bowl Sunday we root for the Arizona Cardinals!!!:D

LOL I hear you loud and clear.

But I rather see the Steelers LOSE the Super Bowl to Arizona

I can't deal with the Balitmore BROWNS

The laundry deal ($20 for a small bag stuffed with all the underwear and tee-shirts it will hold) is offered as Thursday pick-up, Friday delivery.

Another important thing: B2B'ers are being offered another laundry deal. Half price on all laundry and dry cleaning prices..

Do they returned them back to you stuffed in the bag ?

Great pictures Carol! Thanks for sharing :)

The Eagles made the game very interesting in the second half. I have a little wager with one of our faculty members in Philadelphia so I guess I will be enjoying 6 pack of Tastykakes :D

Cannot wait to see how full the ship is during your second leg.

###

We have a thread going, dedicated to this Sigma lens, over at the Photo Discussion section

try URL

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=118

it's usually up near the top somewhere...if it's not then go...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=849345

and start your education from the first page.

Thanks so much!!

It's official...........the Steelers vs the Cardinals!

Now I just have to get a handle on the time difference. It looks like it could be a long night in Santiago!

Does anyone onboard with Verizon have cell phone service.......without the GSM??:confused:

I told Bobbie to have her cell phone on tomorrow (Monday) but now I'm wondering if there is coverage.

Carol...........do you get to keep the cabin???

Rick

We were scheduled to dock in Rio de Janeiro at 3 P.M., but Captain Johnny alerted everyone to be up on deck as early as 1 for the “sail-in”. We had magnificent views of the bay and various beaches and breathtaking views for two hours as we approached and then sailed into the harbor. I haven’t uploaded those photos yet, but I will tomorrow.

Letty, Allan, Cindy and I got off as soon as they announced that we could. We walked through the beautiful cruise terminal and asked the H. Stern representative for a tour. He got us a GORGEOUS guide, Amanda (ALL Brazilians seem to be beautiful.), an excellent driver, Marco, and a beautiful 12 person air-conditioned van.

I asked her to show us *everything*. She was completely willing to take us anywhere at all. She would have taken us up Sugarloaf and Corcovado, but we told her that we would be doing those on our excursion the next day. They drove us all over Rio, showing us:

The main Cathedral, a striking modern pyramid design.

Different neighborhoods throughout the city.

Beaches and outlooks over the coastline.

Beautiful people.

Ipanema and Copacabana beaches, all the big hotels.

The Lagoon.

EVERYTHING.

Then we went to the H Stern workshop, museum and store.

It was not AT ALL what I had expected. When we got there, they offered us refreshments. We had water, then mango ice cream and then……………

Caipiranhas

These are deadly Brazilian cocktails made with a special liquor which is just starting to be exported to the U.S. They were much better than the ones on the ship at Bolero’s – they use too much sugar.

These were just little sampler size cups.

The tour is by audio guide, which is actually quite interesting. Then you are led BY TWOSOMES into the showroom/sales area.

Allan and Letty got one guy – named Muhammed. ;)

Cindy and I got a handsome Brazilian gentleman named Charles. :D

And yes, we bought some bling.

THEN we had more caipiranhas. It’s just a nasty rumor that we had the drinks BEFORE we made our purchases. ;)

Then Amanda took us back, driving around and through some more interesting neighborhoods. We were going to go to the “hippie market”, an open-air market that’s sort of a cross between a flea market and just stall-type shopping. Unfortunately, they were starting to close up, so we drove back to the pier.

All told, we were with her for almost 5 hours – all for FREE.

Others just hopped into a van and were taken like puppies directly to the H Stern store.

You don’t get if you don’t ask. :D

(and YES, “free” is a relative term. But they do these tours for free because every so many visitors, there is a sale)

It's alright Bill. I got a little excited until I checked time difference, and Santiago is on the same time zone as the east coast, 3 hours difference from Arizona. So we will be able to take in the sights of the city, and be back in time for a cool cocktail at the location of the best big screen TV, probably in the hotel.;)

Rick

See everything works out for the best, but with the time difference it will be quite late before the game is over. Arizona vs Pittsburgh, probably not the matchup that the TV moguls were hoping for but maybe that means it will be a good game.:)

Carol,

Thanks for all the pics and info. The RFS looks wonderful.

How does one go about getting an upgrade like this? Did RCI charge extra for the RFS or just give it to you, because it was available?

The upgrade fairy payed them a visit!!:D:D:D

Honest!!

Rick

I am hoping to take advantage of Circuit City's failure and maybe snag a couple of lenses when the discounts get a little deeper. Will keep an eye on local inventory. :D

Be very savvy if you buy from a "clearance sale". The companies that buy up the in-store inventory are notorious for raising prices to full or even above retail, and then discounting slightly from there. You can find deals, but be sure to always check your prices against other reputable sources before you buy.

Theron

It's official...........the Steelers vs the Cardinals!

Now I just have to get a handle on the time difference. It looks like it could be a long night in Santiago!

Does anyone onboard with Verizon have cell phone service.......without the GSM??:confused:

I told Bobbie to have her cell phone on tomorrow (Monday) but now I'm wondering if there is coverage.

Carol...........do you get to keep the cabin???

Rick

http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm-map-worldtimezone.gif

That's too funny. The photos are great! The last one I saw of you, sitting at a table with Wrona. Uhumm...I didn't realize that you were vertically challenged. LOL :D You look fabulous....your kids are tall. :) We are thoroughly enjoying the vicarious cruising. Thanks. :) ~Patti :)

found a website that gives the kickoff time as 6:20, but when do they ever get it started on time!!!

http://www.chiff.com/recreation/sports/super-bowl.htm

Actually, I believe for the Super Bowl, they are usually pretty good at starting on time. As much money as the vendors are paying for commercials, I think they have the event planned pretty much down to the second. At least the start... obviously the elapsed game time is variable.

Theron

Hey Rick,

You're going to be on the last Mariner leg, aren't you? It means you won't be with us on the Monarch Refugees cruise. :mad: We'll have a drink in your honor at Pueblo Cafe.

Jim........let me see if I can dig up the owners name for you.......and just let him know that Rick and Bobbie miss them!! Do you have a thread where everyone is signed up over on Carnival.

Please start one in our honor............with pictures please!!

In all honesty...........I think I would rather be sailing on the Mariner, this according to Bobbie who was on the Paradise a couple of years ago for a girls cruise!!

Carol and I will try to time your day in Ensenada........and hoist one in everyones honor that have made the trek!! Would noon time be about right..........for us to hoist one in your honor???:D

Is Celia going????

Rick

Archived