LIVE LIVE LIVE from the MARINER with MERION MOM for 53 DAYS!!!

Merion_Mom

JC.........I'm told that somewhere between 1000 and 1200 people are doing all three legs of the journey. I would have guessed more, but RCCL had some pretty steep prices for 2 of the 3 legs.

Rick

We talked about doing one of the legs and it wasn't the cruise price that stopped us, it was the airfare!

So..........here is one more thing that I find very hard to understand. With so many open cabins..........the pier coordinator is telling people that no one can upgrade till after the ship sails! What's with that???:eek:

It's great to have friends onboard........and cellphones are wonderful!!

Rick

So..........here is one more thing that I find very hard to understand. With so many open cabins..........the pier coordinator is telling people that no one can upgrade till after the ship sails! What's with that???:eek:

It's great to have friends onboard........and cellphones are wonderful!!

Rick

And, Rick, it's great to have you on this thread to keep us all posted! I am so excited for the Hornblowers who at this moment are probably finished with lunch in the Windjammer and are looking for their bags so they can unpack! T-w-o m-o-r-e w-e-e-k-s till Rio; a little more for you but think how much you'll appreciate your wife! :D

It sounds like RCI is doing its best to assist those who failed to get their visas so that they don't lose their entire cruise. I only hope we don't hear complaints from those people about the time and added expense that will be involved in getting expedited documents. :)

Wow. When I dropped my parents off there was someone checking visas. I asked how many people did no have them and she pointed to a big group at the bus area sittng in chairs, all of them NO Visas, she said most of them had the exscuse that they thought they would not need them if they did not get off the ship.

ALSO my parents are newly Diamond in a inside cabin, and have full access to the Concierge.

It sounds like RCI is doing its best to assist those who failed to get their visas so that they don't lose their entire cruise. I only hope we don't hear complaints from those people about the time and added expense that will be involved in getting expedited documents. :)

I would think that RCL is helping them at the crusiers expense .

I am sure they would rather bus them to Miami etc instead of refunding part of the fare.

Bill.......you are exactly correct. And, while RCI has nothing to do with the situation that these would be cruisers are in........I think they are looking into ways to help them. Also, RCI will certainly not do this for free..........there will be a pretty hefty fee to get them to Miami, hotel them and then arrange for them to fly on to one of the Islands to catch up.

Hold on........there is something else just coming to my "in" box. Apparently there is now a "large" group of people that are put into a seating area that do not have Visas. I don't know what that number is, as of right now.

I think that anyone that complains that this is Royal Caribbeans fault....will get slammed pretty hard.........if they are looking here for sympathy!:cool:

Rick

Wow. When I dropped my parents off there was someone checking visas. I asked how many people did no have them and she pointed to a big group at the bus area sittng in chairs, all of them NO Visas, she said most of them had the exscuse that they thought they would not need them if they did not get off the ship.

ALSO my parents are newly Diamond in a inside cabin, and have full access to the Concierge.

Congrats to them for making Diamond!!

The problem here boys and girls, is that the first leg of the trip ends in Brazil. The second leg starts in Brazil...........and my gut is that everyone is going to have to get off in Brazil, and then come back aboard......hence......entering the country, even if it is only on the pier!!:cool:

Rick

Well just got confirmation that they are turning away people without Brazil visa's. They will have to catch up with the ship. They are looking very closely at the dates on the Visa's when they are issued. They are taking passports for safe keeping.

O.k., I have a silly question... How were you informed of the need for a Brazil visa? Did you find out through your travel agent or did RCCL inform you in advance? I usually book my own vacations via RCCL internet... how would I have know if there is a visa to be purchased? (Just thinking ahead before our next adventure)

Hold on........there is something else just coming to my "in" box. Apparently there is now a "large" group of people that are put into a seating area that do not have Visas. I don't know what that number is, as of right now.

I think that anyone that complains that this is Royal Caribbeans fault....will get slammed pretty hard.........if they are looking here for sympathy!:cool:

Rick

Wonder how many will pitch a bitch if they didnt get Yellow Fever shots and they are stopped from getting off the 2 stops we think require them.

I don't feel badly for those that didn't get their Visas. They should have researched what documentation was needed once they booked.

We had this same problem when we boarded Splendour last March in Valparaiso...............there were approximately 50 people that were denied boarding because of no Visa for Brazil. Some decided to return home, others payed $2000pp to be bused back to Santiago, stay in a hotel for several days, food, pay the expedited fees for getting their Visas processed and then the additional airfare to meet up with the ship in Punta Arenas.

And the folks that we met that were affected put the blame on RCI!

OMG! :eek: I guess I spoke too soon. Thanks for the information. ;) I am sure glad I have joined CC to keep informed of these matters.

O.k., I have a silly question... How were you informed of the need for a Brazil visa? Did you find out through your travel agent or did RCCL inform you in advance? I usually book my own vacations via RCCL internet... how would I have know if there is a visa to be purchased? (Just thinking ahead before our next adventure)

OMG! :eek: I guess I spoke too soon. Thanks for the information. ;) I am sure glad I have joined CC to keep informed of these matters.

Debbie........bookmark http://www.traveldocs.com

This will give you all the information you need when traveling to countries unfamiliar to you.

Since entry requirements can change on a daily basis.............it would be impossible for RCI to keep up. That's why they leave it up to the passenger.

They can get part of their cruise refunded if they cancel.

I understand that RCCL has no obligation.

They can't get the first leg's fare back and they are already into the penalty period for the second leg, so I think that at best they might be able to get the fare for the third leg refunded. That's assuming that each leg is considered a separate booking, which I think it is. I know that RCI notified all TAs who had clients booked on this journey, about the visa requirement and I have to believe that the line also notified those who booked directly, so I have little or no sympathy for those who chose to ignore the notice that they were given.

As far as charging those guests for the expense of transporting them to Miami, putting them up at a hotel and flying them to St. Maarten, I certainly wouldn't expect the cruiseline to do it at its expense. If I were faced with the likelihood of missing this "cruise of a lifetime", I would probably jump at the chance to rescue it whatever the added cost.:)

Oh you will be hearing them scream "law suit" before all is said and done. That's what we got on our Splendour cruise.

And to top it off............the group affected booked through a TA who was with them. The TA said that RCI either told them that RCI would take care of the Visa once they were on board.............or RIC said they did not need one!

Yep.........that's the excuse they usually use!

Congrats to them for making Diamond!!

The problem here boys and girls, is that the first leg of the trip ends in Brazil. The second leg starts in Brazil...........and my gut is that everyone is going to have to get off in Brazil, and then come back aboard......hence......entering the country, even if it is only on the pier!!:cool:

Rick

Jumping in here with my 2 cents worth. Why in He......double hockey sticks!!!!!would anyone take a cruise around the Horn and chose to stay on the ship in Brazil especially Rio, one of the most fascinating and beautiful cities.

I originally booked this 46 day trip and I do believe we discussed the Visa thing thoroughly. As Patti has said, we saw this happen in Valparaiso and the people were furious,but anytime someone mentioned it to me I was sure to place the blame squarely where it belonged.

Patti, from when I went to Brazil in 2005 it was all over the place on my documents and every communication I had with my TA or the cruiseline that I was required to have the Visa, I wasn't actually required to get Yellow Fever shots because at that time only the Amazon area was required, but never the less, I was constantly told I had to get yellow fever shots. In other words my guess is the passengers had multiple oppurtunities to be informed of the need of both. It is classic.

jc

It just amazes me that these many people didn't have a clue that they needed a visa. They obviously did not read their cruise contracts or look at the RCL website. I can't believe how some people just think that the cruise line will just take care of everything and all they have to do is pay their money. They are all learning hard lessons right now, at least hopefully they are. Just like any contract you need to read them. Bet they will from now on! And, don't worry, there will be many that will be blaming everyone else but themselves.

As stated in my earlier post they had those with NO Visa's sitting under the bus area..They had chairs and drinks out for them. They are not being allowed past the first security guard at the door to the terminal without the Visa. I saw roughly 25 or so sitting out there at 1:30pm....

Debbie........bookmark http://www.traveldocs.com

This will give you all the information you need when traveling to countries unfamiliar to you.

Since entry requirements can change on a daily basis.............it would be impossible for RCI to keep up. That's why they leave it up to the passenger.

Thank you! That is a great site. :)

Question: "Vaccinations - International Certificate of Vaccination for Yellow Fever required if arriving from infected area within 5 days" What is considered a infected area?

Also, do you pay TDS, consular, and return postage fee in one lump sum? If I give my credit card number, will all the fees be all taken care of together?

Debbie........bookmark www.traveldocs.com

Hi Patti...thanks for that web site of travel docs....I added it to my favorites....who knows we may need it some day......:)

Happy New Year to you and Jim!

Archived