Montreal post-cruise questions

hybrn8

Hi Folks: Considering a Boston to Montreal cruise next summer on Maasdam. What can you tell me about arrival into Montreal and best way to get to the airport for flight home? It looks like best bet is an 8AM flight (not cutting it too close there?). Maybe we'd be better off spending one night and leaving next AM. Thankx........

The cruise port is in Old Montreal (Vieux Montreal) and is a good thirty minutes from the airport with no traffic and not exceeding the speed limit. Here is a link to the Google Map showing the whole distance and directions. The legal speed limit on those particular highways is 70 km/h (Google seems to have calculated the time it takes based on 100 km/h.)

That being said, not only do you need to check in at the airport to get your luggage tagged, you then have to roll your luggage with you as you visit US CBP (Immigration). Then deposit your luggage on the conveyor belt. Then you have to go through the CATSA inspection (airport security in Canada) and then you have to get to your gate. I haven't seen anyone manage all this in less then 30 minutes (and most likely longer.)

I wouldn't think you could make an 8AM flight unless you are off the ship by 6:30 AM, maybe earlier.

The only way you'd make an 8am flight from YUL is if Scotty beamed you up to the airport...

Stay a night in Montreal and fly out on Sunday. Do a little shopping, check out a restaurant or 2, find a park (or check out Mount Royal), shop, go see the Botanical Gardens, see if there's a festival on in town, shop, eat a smoked meat sandwich... did I mention shopping?;)

I would not try to make the 8:00 AM flight assuming your ship arrives in port that morning. You need to arrive early for check in and you do have to clear USA customs at the airport. As others have said it is about 30 minute to get over there and can be longer given traffic. It's not many miles but the traffic can really slow you down.

I would stay over in Old Montreal and enjoy a day of touring this area or see if you can get a later flight.

Keith

Archived