Carrying on pop/soda

I know I'd have to pack away some Pepsi in my checked on bag, and well that's just too much space and I don't want to risk them exploiding and having pop soaked clothes for my cruise!

So...when I get to Ft. Lauderdale, can I stop and buy some Pepsi and just carry it onboard? Do I have to "hide" it in my carry on, or can I just have it out in the open?

Hi.

You need to remember that their are strict regulations about the amount of fluids one can carry thru security. If you wanted to you could perhaps buy soda at the airport after you have cleared security, but that would most likely be cost prohibitive. When you clear NCL security , after visiting an island, they will confiscate your liquor and soda's. If you must drink soda, I would suggest buying a drink card. For an upfront fee you can get all the pop you want.

We always go a day early, so we are able to stop at a local store and pick up sodas. I take a canvas tote bag so I can carry the sodas on. I prefer not to put them in the checked luggage as it gets thrown around some and I would hate to have the sodas explode. Remember, you may not have access to your cabin when you first get on, so make it easy on yourself to carry things around the ship while waiting.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm thinking to bring a collapsable cooler with me and then once I get to Ft. Lauderdale I'll get pick up some soda and put it in there and just carry the cooler onboard.

Also gonna pick up some liquor and pack that in my luggage and hope that gets on. Prolly just a bottle vodka....then I'll get cranberry juice onboard & have some Cosmos!

:)

We travel in groups of 20+, which means I always pack a carry-on sized suitcase of 8oz plastic bottled water and sodas. We fly in the day before with an extra empty suitcase. I line the extra suitcase with heavy duty plastic garbage bags and use beach towels as cushion as well as an absorbent, just in case a bottle opens. I usually take one bottle of alcohol which is packed in my personal suitcase. I wrapped it tightly in a few layers of plastic, then pack it in the middle of my suitcase and make sure it's surround my lots of t-shirts and soft items. So far, I haven't had a broken bottle in 6-7 years. ;)

Another tip - if you have kids, bring healthy fruit snacks, crackers, etc. Those items can run up your bill if purchased on board the ship. We had each family bring two items for each kid and shared with each other once onboard. Made for a nice variety of snacks.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm thinking to bring a collapsable cooler with me and then once I get to Ft. Lauderdale I'll get pick up some soda and put it in there and just carry the cooler onboard.

Also gonna pick up some liquor and pack that in my luggage and hope that gets on. Prolly just a bottle vodka....then I'll get cranberry juice onboard & have some Cosmos!

:)

We use a rolling collapsable cooler and it works great for us. Holds a lot.

Last month, we had our shuttle driver stop at Target on the way to the port. We bought 3 fridge packs of diet sodas, plus a case of bottled water. When we got to the port, we stuck extra luggage tags on them and gave them to the porter along with our luggage. All were delivered to our rooms with no problems. Our stateroom attendant kept our ice bucket full at all times, so it was easy to have a soda at any time, and much cheaper than buying a soda card.

• 3 weeks later...

I take soda in my carryon. On one cruise, I bought the drinks card, but the diet coke was watery and tasted like it had saccharine in it. It was not worth the cost. I buy it locally, and definitely would not fly with it! For one thing, it is heavy, plus you don't want it exploding in your luggage.

Betty Jean

Archived