Stuff you can get from the purser's desk...

agavin

Hi all,

Am leaving on my first cruise in less than 3 weeks and am SOOOOO excited. I've been reading on this board for months and I can't get over how helpful everyone is :)

I've seen countless posts listing things that you might be able to snag at the purser's desk (like sea sickness meds, ship maps etc), and I'm wondering if there's anything else one should know :)

Less packing is always better :)

Thanks in advance!

They used to give away postcards with a picture of the ship on them. Don't know if they still do this or not. However, if you leave mail with them it won't get posted until you return to the states, so you are better off to just keep it and mail it yourself.

On the Conquest this past August I asked for and received postcards from the Purser's desk. These postcards were bigger than the ones in the gift shop. :)

They used to give away postcards with a picture of the ship on them. Don't know if they still do this or not. However, if you leave mail with them it won't get posted until you return to the states, so you are better off to just keep it and mail it yourself.

There were postcards in the binder in the room.. They told us they were mailed from first port :confused:

They got to the receipients before we got home.. so maybe it depends on the port?

:)

I've never done it but I understand they will get your passport stamped for you at many ports.

They will punch a hole in your S&S card for the lanyard.

Seasick meds are also available outside the infirmary. There is a box on the wall full of meds, take what you need/want, no waiting. But you do have to FIND the infirmary.

Dan

If you are on a ship that doesn't have hair dryers in the cabin, you can borrow one from the pursers desk. There is no fee but they take a deposit, I think $10, so bring your sail and sign card with you. The deposit is fully refunded when you return it. It was a nice hair dryer, too. Nicer than the one my wife left at home.

Computer print out of Newspapers...(not sure if they do this on Carnival.. otherlines do)

The only ship I've seen this is the Valor. I didn't notice on the Inspiration, and I was at the Purser's desk plenty on my B2B (had issues calling from cabin phone, lost my sunglasses, demagnetized S&S card both legs, had questions about B2B process - no complaints - just issues:))

Are these available on all the ships? Thinking about if my mother in law gets too tired walking around the ship.

I can only imagine that all of the ships have wheelchairs available. "GLORY" was written on the back of the wheelchair.

Is it playing cards with a carnival ship on it or regular cards?

An illustration of the 'funnel' is on ours. Pursers desk gave out plenty our last cruise... but I thought it was because we were delayed disembarkation by 10 hours due to fog and inability to sail into port. :) I guess they weren't given as 'compensation', huh? ;)

The only ship I've seen this is the Valor. I didn't notice on the Inspiration, and I was at the Purser's desk plenty on my B2B (had issues calling from cabin phone, lost my sunglasses, demagnetized S&S card both legs, had questions about B2B process - no complaints - just issues:))

Every line does a 'condensed' newspaper in the library every day. But by 9 or 10AM they are all gone.

Dan

Archived