Checking Baggage: How early in advance?

Alegeeter

We are returning from our cruise at 8am and our flight is not until 7:55pm from MIA. I was wondering how far in advance you can check your baggage at the airport. We are flying Continental.

We ideally would like to check our luggage and then go see South Beach for a couple hours. We just don't want to lug our baggage around all day

thanks for your help in advance.

Call Continental and ask them!

Most airlines will accept baggage anytime during the day of the flight providing they have personnel on duty at the check-in counter.

Some international airlines only staff their counters for a period prior to their departures, but an airline like Continental should be open most of the day....

I know at FLL airlines will only accept baggage a maximum of 4 hours in advance, it is an airport rule not an airline rule (some airlines will only accept checked baggage 2-3 hours in advance). Other airports may have similiar rules.

In fact from Continental's website, for domestic and international flights (excluding certain flights departing for Agana, Guam (GUM)) baggage will not be accepted for check-in more than 4 hours prior to scheduled flight departure. https://www.continental.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/check-in.aspx

We are returning from our cruise at 8am and our flight is not until 7:55pm from MIA. I was wondering how far in advance you can check your baggage at the airport. We are flying Continental.

We ideally would like to check our luggage and then go see South Beach for a couple hours. We just don't want to lug our baggage around all day

thanks for your help in advance.

Rent a car for the day-transport and luggage storage. Priceline will probably charge no more than $35.00 (plus fees) for the day.

VERY few airlines will accept luggage more than 4 hours pre flight. Just too much luggage to deal with and no place to put it. Airlines feel early check in of luggage is a really good way to misplace luggage (and that costs them money).

You may want to inquire if your ship/airline has something like Luggage Valet (or similar). You luggage is put outside the door of your cabin on the last night. You clear it through customs the next morning and then it goes on a truck to the airport, all tagged and ready to go on the flight. Usually costs about $15-20pp (so the rental car is usually cheaper). But is dependent on both your ship and airline.

I was looking on conitental's website and couldn't find that! I only found that all baggage must be checked no less than 30 minutes before the flight, butI found no maximum. We may consider rentin a car, but that may be more of hassle with having to return in before the flight anyway. I may just find the airport to be a second home for a day :)

I was looking on conitental's website and couldn't find that! I only found that all baggage must be checked no less than 30 minutes before the flight, butI found no maximum. We may consider rentin a car, but that may be more of hassle with having to return in before the flight anyway. I may just find the airport to be a second home for a day :)

As wrp96 posted, it is an AIRPORT rule in conjunction with the airlines. So looking on the airline website won't help much. I guess you could call the airport and ask them???

Either rent the car, inquire whether the cruise line has something like Luggage Valet, or plan to sit at the airport. It would be VERY unusual for the airline (any airline) to allow you to you check luggage 6-8-10 hours before your departing flight.

Renting a car is NOT much hassle. Book it online with Priceline. It is already paid for-just sign the paperwork and go. Unless you are at a very high traffic time, shouldn't take more than 20 minutes to get the car and 20 minutes to drop it off. Beats sitting at the airport all day.

Archived