Thank You Veterans

kellanrevere

In short, the American Revolution's beginning was an effort by a group to eliminate the oppression of the times. And that, BenjaminS is what our soldiers and vets have attempt to do as they serve the U.S. in the world today. They seek liberty and justice for all, no matter the location, and they defend the values upon which our country was founded.

IMO, our service men and women go where they are told to serve. What it has to do with is debatable. If you want to believe it is to seek liberty and justice for all in every location, that's fine. It isn't a fact that is the case. It is what you want to believe. I don't believe that it is always for those reasons and I believe we resemble more Britian now than the fledging United States of 1776. We are now the empire that says everything we do is virtuous. I don't believe that is true of any nation, especially empires.

I didn't think I would weigh in on this thread but after reading through, I have to. My husband served in Vietnam. He was wounded, has the Purple Heart, Bronze Star and numerous other citations. He now is feeling the effects of his exposure to Agent Orange also. He was never welcomed home "officially" and I am so proud of him. My brother, friends (it was "my generations' war) and many other young men served proudly then. My dad, uncles and other realtives served in WWII and Korea and came home proudly. I am just fortunate that my sons were not eligible for a draft that took their father off to war. Now, they are beyond draft age (at this time anyway). We are a proud family, proud Americans.

On the 4th of July we were at a Toby Keith concert in Camden, NJ. He was a tremendous act who has been in Iraq many times to entertain the troops. At the end of the concert he called up all the military personnel in the audience to sing American Soldier. We had Marines, Navy personnel (from the USS Cole by the way, remember the Cole???) and Army young men who were dressed in their desert combat fatigues. As an "older" American I cried seeing those wonderful young people, all proudly stand at attention when the flag was presented. We are so very fortunate to have such a brave generation, following in the footsteps of their forefathers who founded this free land. One young sailor cried as everyone cheered for them. We sat next to a Navy veteran (young and wounded) who proudly brought his family, jacket and discharge papers (he limped behind stage) for Toby Keith to sign.

I live and get to Maguire AFB and Ft. Dix at least twice a month and let me tell you what I see. I see the future, I see the planes flying over my home taking these young men & women into harms way, and I see them coming home, getting off those same planes greeting their families, still proud and happy that them made it home at all.

I say to all Vietnam Vets, again, WELCOME HOME. I say to all our young servicemen and women, we support you, we are grateful for your service and to the families of those who have paid the ultimate price, we grieve for you. The Fourth of July means much to many - to me it means I can say what I want and I have.

Thanks for listening.

I don't believe that it is always for those reasons and I believe we resemble more Britian now than the fledging United States of 1776. We are now the empire that says everything we do is virtuous. I don't believe that is true of any nation, especially empires.

If that were the case, where is our empire. In almost every case the only land we have asked for is land to bury our dead. We didn't stay, the British did. No basis in fact.

I don't believe that it is always for those reasons and I believe we resemble more Britian now than the fledging United States of 1776. We are now the empire that says everything we do is virtuous. I don't believe that is true of any nation, especially empires.

If that were the case, where is our empire. In almost every case the only land we have asked for is land to bury our dead. We didn't stay, the British did. No basis in fact.

We don't need to stay in the same way. There are other ways to have influence in countries and pull one's weight. Multinationals, military bases, installing and supporting U.S.-friendly governments, using economic might to influence internal conditions of countries, etc.

Thanks to all for keeping this thread civil through three pages. Yes, these discussions can and have turned quite nasty very quickly, but you folks were great!

However, because the thread is not cruise related and because we all are now in a post-Holiday situation, it's now time to close this thread.

As NMNita stated, let's get back to cruising!:)

Archived