Need opinions/help regarding TA

jmk22574

We're booked on the Amsterdam to Alaska this May. Since October (the 11th to be specific), I've been trying to contact my TA via phone and e-mail about changing to the Westerdam in May (it just so happens to work better with our schedule). My TA is with a major company that I will not name since I know that's against the board rules.....but she is in another state, so I can't physically go into her office. We dealt with her before on our previous cruise and had no problems. I left another e-mail and voice message two weeks ago and yet again last week. That's three attempts in the past three months.

I've explained that we just want to change our sailing date and are not taking our business elsewhere, but I have received no response at all.

I'm at the point now that I am really getting upset and would rather go to the local office and just make a brand new booking with a TA there (the same company). I know this may be considered improper and be forcing the local TA to "step on the toes" of the other TA, but I think three months of zero response is enough. So, even if it's not "proper," is this plan even a possibility.....having the local TA cancel the current booking that was made by the previous TA? ***Our current booking was made with a $200 deposit via the future cruise consultant on our previous cruise, then turned over to the current TA. Final payment is due in late February, which we obviously have not paid yet.

Hopefully this isn't too confusing.....I just don't feel that I'm being unreasonable at this point. Thanks for any/all opinions!

Jill

It's with a large insurance/travel company (hint, hint) - like who you call when you have a flat tire....and if you're a member, they come tow you for free. Hopefully that's an acceptable explanation that won't get this thread pulled.

That's why I'm so frustrated....it's not just some Internet company....it's actually a place you go, sit down and have a face-to-face conversation.

Knitlady - I might just end up calling HAL anyway, just to see what they say. I have a feeling though that they will tell me that they can't help me since I booked through a TA. Can't hurt to try I guess.

Contact the office manager and explain your problem. Perhaps your TA is just out of the office on vacation or ill. At any rate, your problem needs to be dealt with; if the agent is just being sloppy in business, the manager needs to know.

Jill - We book with an online internet agency, not the same one you described, and whenever I can't reach my TA I just call the 800 number and another agent assists me. They never have a problem helping with another client - recommend you just call or stop by your local office.

I would be dumping that booking and going to a different TA.

If this is how you are being treated now, don't imagine it will get better after you give her your final payment. You'll be wringing your hands looking for your documents.

She doesn't deserve your business IMO

You are very patient, after a week without a reply I would have changed agents. Even when I am on vacation or out sick someone always watches my email. I think in ANY business replies should be at least same week if not sooner. (even a little reply saying working on your request will contact you in X-amount of time with answer)

To bad you have to change I did the Amsterdam last Sept to Alaska and was very nice. I hope to get on HAL again in May/June if we can..

Thanks everyone....I plan to get "tough" tomorrow. :)

Trvldog - the Sunday-Sunday cruise happens to work better for our schedule (Westerdam) - that's pretty much the only reason we're switching from the Amsterdam. Even though we cruised this same itinerary in 2007, I have no problem going back again - we loved it!

Jill

You have more patience than me! Contact someone else at the company (ask for a supervisor) and demand a new TA or a release to take your business elsewhere.

Btw, I have used them before and would never do so again. They made me come to their office to pick up my tickets or wanted $15.00 to Fed Ex them. All they had to do was arrange for HAL to send them to me at home. Btw, I never received so much as a holiday card nor email etc from them asking if I had a nice cruise. They lost out on many more bookings.

This happened to us a number of years ago and we (stupidly) stayed with the TA. When we took off on our trip we found ourselves without part of our much needed documents and vouchers. You have been patient long enough. Let us know what happens.

Good news! I just got a call from the previously mentioned TA, and she apologized for not getting back with me sooner. I didn't ask why, I was just happy to hear from her. She booked us in the exact cabin we wanted for even a lower price than I had seen online. She is also giving us dinner at the Pinnacle Grill and doubling our shipboard credit (not sure if she's actually able to do this herself or it's her company's doing, but I'll take it either way).

I appreciate everyone's suggestions....hopefully things go smoothly from here!

Jill

I am happy everything worked out for you & nice perk add ons! :)

We just may be on the same sailing as we are thinking May for our trip also.

The Amsterdam was our first HAL sailing last year so going back and fourth with mom over another HAL sailing or Infinity X, which is our favorite ship.

Archived