New Celebrity Cruiser

APH

Hi everyone!

I'm considering booking a 7 night southern caribbean cruise for 2005 with Celebrity. I've already done cruises with Princess, Royal Caribbean and P&O - how do they compare with Celebrity - any thoughts would be most helpful!

Thanks!

I can only compare Celebrity to Royal Caribbean. We were on the Voyager last year. Our previous three cruises were on Celebrity and this year we are back. I thought the food on Royal Caribbean was ok, but not nearly as good as Celebrity. The entertainment was about the same. There was obviously more to do on the Voyager, but for service and staff...Celebrity wins with me hands down. That is why we will probably stick with Celebrity from now on.

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=CD20CD&cdt=2004;6;5;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500 Century 6/5

As you will note from my list of past cruises below, we have tried all 4 Mass market lines. You should love Celebrity. Overall, they treat everyone as adults; no constant announcements -do read your nightly newsletter. There will be a few activities by the pool, but they are limited. There will be more "enrichment" type activities, like computer seminars, wine tastings, guest speakers on Photography, sport subjects, Financial planning, health and beauty topics, etc. Entertainment is varied but probably not quite at the level of Princess or RCI. This really is subject to change from time to time and ship to ship. Your dining (as of this date) is more traditional than Princess (Celebrity's is what I personally like.) Two seatings 6 pm and 8:30 p.m. There is a Specialty Dining room for a fee. Buffet service has set hours too, which I am not too fond of, especially when you are looking for a late lunch. There is a gap in service hours. You can make a reservation for alternate dining in the buffet area too. Room Service during the regular dining room hours can be ordered off the Dining Room menu. The staff was very friendly and always are there to please. Our grandson had Shrimp Cocktail every night with dinner and his dad enjoyed Escargot even when it wasn't on the menu. Just ask politely and they will do their best to accommodate your requests. Celebrity guests are a tad more formal in respecting the evening dress code recommendations. You will find lots of tux's on Formal night and lovely Smart Casual outfits on Casual evenings. They do not want tank tops or short shorts in the dining room during the daytime either. They are starting to monitor this "beach" look. Nice shorts, slacks or capri outfits should be OK. No jeans or shorts in the dining room at night, also.

Bon Voyage

Celebrity Millennium 2/22/04

Carnival Conquest 10/26/2003

Carnival Legend 4/11/2003

Carnival Pride 2/23/2002

Celebrity Galaxy 11/2001

Grand Princess 3/2001

Celebrity Millennium 9/9/2000

Sea Princess 2/22/1999

Vison of the Seas 10/28/1998

Rhapsody of the Seas 3/1998

Celebrity Century 3/1997

Celebrity Zenith 11/1996

Legend of the Seas 6/1995

Celebrity Horizon 4/1994

Just some further clarifications on Nana's post.

The specialty dining room is available on the M class ships - Millennium, Constellation, Infinity, or Summit - only at this time. Buffet service does have limited hours, but the grill is open later. Room service is available 24 hours from the regular room service menu with the dining room menu also available during the dinner hours. Steak and shrimp cocktail are available every night even though they are not on the menu.

There is not too much of a gap between food availability and with room service available 24 hours there should be no time that you should not be able to get something to eat.

Zenith-Western Caribbean-6/92

Zenith-Eastern Caribbean-6/93

Century-Maiden Voyage-12/95

Galaxy-Southern Caribbean-11/99

Mercury-Northbound Alaska-6/00

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic-9/01

Horizon-Western Caribbean - Adults only cruise-11/02

Millennium-Westbound Transatlantic 10/26/03

Century - Western Caribbean 1/31/04

My wife and I will be trying Celebrity for the first time next year. Thanks to all who have answered questions on other threads here. Between your recommendations and the opportunity to take a cruise out of our home state we've decided on the Galaxy 12 day Panama Canal cruise. Lots of days to go but we're excited to try Celebrity after several HAL cruises.

Until the Galaxy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;3;21;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Randy, you made the right choice! Welcome to Celebrity. Make sure you go over to the roll call side and start a tread, or look for one already started. You can meet some awesome people that way!

Celebrity Constellation 3/05

Carnival Victory "Cruise to Nowhere" 10/04

Carnival Glory 2/04

Celebrity Millie 4/03

Celebrity Zenith 3/02

Celebrity Century 3/00, 3/01

Celebrity Zenith 6/99

Celebrity Galaxy 3/98

Celebrity Century, 1/97

NCL Dreamward 7/95

Thanks CruiseBunny. Definitely will start or seek out a roll call for the Galaxy sailing. Met some great folks from a HAL roll call last cruise and certainly will do it again. We're actually coming "back" to X in the sense that several years ago our TA talked us into X but we went with HAL because X didn't have any ships with verandahs at that time. Wife insists on a veranhah and can't say I disagree.

Until the Galaxy

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2005;3;21;18;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Archived