Opinions on best way to book?

HighFlush

Hello all CCers...

Recently back from first cruise on RCCLs LOS (first cruise anywhere for that matter) and now looking to book for late 2009. For first cruise, booked directly through RCCL. We unfortunately waited too long on board to meet with the on board reps for future bookings and there were no appointments available when we decided to :( (admittedly, we shouldn't have waited).

At any rate, did not have a bad experience dealing with RCCL directly, but I do seem to read a good many postings by people who use TAs or online cruise booking companies. With prices being consistent across booking options, is there any particular advantage (aside from the obvious possiblity of TA, etc offers of paid gratuities or OBC) to using a TA rather than dealing with RCCL direct?

TIA for your opinions! :D

We like booking directly through RCI--that way, if we want to change something, or have a question, or concern, we can call them directly and they will talk to us and help. If you book through a TA, THEY own the booking, and RCI will NOT talk to you!

For future reference you do not have to meet with the loyalty ambassador in order to get a next cruise certificate. They have forms you can fill out right next to the LA's desk. You can get the certificate and then decide which cruise you want to go on next.

I would ONLY book directly through RC.....the representatives have always (OK, almost always....) been VERY helpful and informative! That way, I am in complete contol of my reservation....for better or worse......

Hello all CCers...

Recently back from first cruise on RCCLs LOS (first cruise anywhere for that matter) and now looking to book for late 2009. For first cruise, booked directly through RCCL. We unfortunately waited too long on board to meet with the on board reps for future bookings and there were no appointments available when we decided to :( (admittedly, we shouldn't have waited).

At any rate, did not have a bad experience dealing with RCCL directly, but I do seem to read a good many postings by people who use TAs or online cruise booking companies. With prices being consistent across booking options, is there any particular advantage (aside from the obvious possiblity of TA, etc offers of paid gratuities or OBC) to using a TA rather than dealing with RCCL direct?

TIA for your opinions! :D

I've done both, and I've seen quite a bit of advice for booking with a TA. I didn't have a negative experience with RCI, but I thought I'd see if booking with a TA this time was better.

On our last cruise, we booked a specific room - not a "guarantee" - yet we were upgraded without ever having been told or asked about it. It just happened. NOW, we were (very very) happy about our upgrade, but I have heard of instances where someone was upgraded (again, defined room, not a guarantee), but it wasn't quite the "upgrade" - as in, they might have gone from having a D1 room on the aft of the ship to having a JS in a lesser location. Technically, it's an upgrade, but people are very particular about those cabins that they've hand picked to the best of their ability. I heard about one case where a honeymooning couple got an "upgrade", but the new room would not allow the beds to be put together. Again, we were NEVER informed of our upgrade, or given the choice. It just happened. For us, it was a good thing, and we would have said yes in a heartbeat. With a TA, however, if you've hand-picked a room, they will call the TA to see if you want the upgrade.

For us, our cruise documents were e-mailed - which meant we had to fill out our tags at the pier. With the TA, we got hard copies and luggage tags that were already printed. I'm not experienced enough to say whether or not there is a way to avoid the e-docs when booking yourself, but that has been a nice perk this time.

And for this cruise, using a TA has been FANTASTIC. We requested a small table, because our kids are coming along and this way, we don't have to choose between paying attention to our dinner partners or paying attention to our kids (kinda helps ensure good behavior). Our TA had enough clients booking on this cruise that she was able to organize a group, which gave her the power to get our table number ahead of time (we got our small table request :D), plus another perk or two.

There may also be some advantages in terms of getting travel insurance, but that is admittedly another area of inexperience.

I do like the control over my own reservation, but there have been enough reasons to think that with a good TA that you can trust, that you can have just as much control (if not more), and have some of the other perks that come along with it.

That's my (very limited) experience.

I've done both, and I've seen quite a bit of advice for booking with a TA. I didn't have a negative experience with RCI, but I thought I'd see if booking with a TA this time was better.

On our last cruise, we booked a specific room - not a "guarantee" - yet we were upgraded without ever having been told or asked about it. It just happened. NOW, we were (very very) happy about our upgrade, but I have heard of instances where someone was upgraded (again, defined room, not a guarantee), but it wasn't quite the "upgrade" - as in, they might have gone from having a D1 room on the aft of the ship to having a JS in a lesser location. Technically, it's an upgrade, but people are very particular about those cabins that they've hand picked to the best of their ability. I heard about one case where a honeymooning couple got an "upgrade", but the new room would not allow the beds to be put together. Again, we were NEVER informed of our upgrade, or given the choice. It just happened. For us, it was a good thing, and we would have said yes in a heartbeat. With a TA, however, if you've hand-picked a room, they will call the TA to see if you want the upgrade.

For us, our cruise documents were e-mailed - which meant we had to fill out our tags at the pier. With the TA, we got hard copies and luggage tags that were already printed. I'm not experienced enough to say whether or not there is a way to avoid the e-docs when booking yourself, but that has been a nice perk this time.

And for this cruise, using a TA has been FANTASTIC. We requested a small table, because our kids are coming along and this way, we don't have to choose between paying attention to our dinner partners or paying attention to our kids (kinda helps ensure good behavior). Our TA had enough clients booking on this cruise that she was able to organize a group, which gave her the power to get our table number ahead of time (we got our small table request :D), plus another perk or two.

There may also be some advantages in terms of getting travel insurance, but that is admittedly another area of inexperience.

I do like the control over my own reservation, but there have been enough reasons to think that with a good TA that you can trust, that you can have just as much control (if not more), and have some of the other perks that come along with it.

That's my (very limited) experience.

You make good points, here. However, most of this you can do yourself, if you want to spend the time to do it.

1) the upgrade: usually, we carefully choose our cabins and ask that they be noted "no upgrade, please". That way we won't get "upgraded" from a D2 to a less desirable D1.

2) cruise docs: you can choose which way to receive your docs...by e-mail or by snail-mail.....when you complete your cruise documentation online prior to cruising. We choose snail mail so that we get our luggage tags.

3) table assignment: you can also choose the size and location of your table when booking with an RC rep. You are likely to get pretty much what you ask for, if you book within a reasonable amount of time. We e-mailed the dining reservations contact person and asked for something more specific, and it was granted within days! Great service, IMHO!

What you don't get is someone to go to bat for you with RC, in the event that you are displeased. You also don't get the free bottle of champagne, the onboard credit, or whatever your TA offers as a booking perk.

I still prefer to control my own reservation. :)

For Royal Caribbean we prefer to book directly with them. As a Canadian I pay very close attention to the exchange rates from one cruise line to another and RCCL offers THE BEST rates I've seen anywhere. To transfer this booking to another TA I'd have to choose a Cdn one (so I can still pay in Cdn $$) and there isn't a Canadian TA around that can beat these rates and they don't seem to offer extra "perks" like US based agencies do.

For other cruise lines where we have to pay in US$ then definitely I go with a TA, shop for them carefully and usually get a terrific deal.

The one time I was upgraded was when booked with a local TA and my TA was not informed about the upgrade.

Then I know a family member that was upgraded, booked with a TA, and not even knew about it until the room key didn´t work. Again nobody was imnformed.

I don't think there is one "best" way - just what works best for you. I have a great TA that knows me and what I like and does a wonderful job for me. But if that wasn't the case, I'd probably be like others and book directly for the control aspects.

We also only book directly with RCI. When you need to make a change to your reservation (and we have needed to do so in the past) it is great to just pick up the phone and get it done yourself. The staff at RCI have proven knowlegable and always helpful.

I always book direct with RCCI, then I control my reservation and can call if I need to change anything or have a question.

Then right before final payment, I transfer to a TA that I have used now for the last few cruises. That way she gets the commission and I get an OBC for xferring the res to her. Win/Win. She has been great and I will continue to use her. But until final payment, I want to control what is going on. She also pays Royal direct with my CC, so I still get the double points which is perfect.

I've done it both ways without problems. The best way for me has been to book direct with RCI, watch for coupons and price drops then just before final payment I'll switch it over to a TA. Whichever TA gives me the best deal on prepaid gratuities or OBC's is the one that gets my booking. In essence I'm just giving the TA with the best offer the commission.

Aubie

Thank you all for the responses.

Mamacat--thanks for the heads up. I wish I had known that while on board. Would have saved me a couple of hundred on the next cruise :(.

Aubie, Karena--how does one go about transferring you reservation to a TA? I'm all for working directly with RC to make the original reservation, I'm not going to pass up an hundred or two in savings, thats for sure. (besides, I'm sure that savings will be hitting my liver in the form of caipirinhas at Boleros! :D)

I've used a TA for several cruises and have never had paid gratuities nor free insurance offered. We've had other perks which were nice, like an onboard credit and a bottle of wine. I don't think, from what I've read here on CC that the free insurance is worth anything, I really prefer to buy my own away from the cruise line or TA.

We right now have a reservation booked directly through RCI and I have to say, I kind of like it. I have called a couple of times with minor issues and they are taken care of right then and there, with an email follow up only minutes later. At a later date I would transfer the reservation, but unless I see a need to, I won't bother this time.

I think a TA is very helpful at times, especially if you hit a snag, or there are several cabins in your party.

Just an FYI, we clicked on getting our docs mailed to us. I don't mind having edocs since I don't care about the booklet, but sometimes have a problem (with myself) getting the edocs downloaded and printed properly. All you really need is your set sail pass, but with mailed docs you have luggage tags. Although, even getting your luggage tags at the pier is no problem, we've done that before as well, not a big deal. So....there are pros and cons.

I should add, this cruise I have booked directly through RCI is just a little 4 day, no air or transportation other than a short drive in the car. Only one cabin involved!

A lot of people say to book directly with RCCL, however I love my TA. She is amazing. The TA books a bunch of cabins on the ships, so we get the group discounted rate.

Our TA booked our next cruise for about $200 less than RCCL quoted us (per person). We were able to upgrade from an Inside GTY to a balcony GTY. We ended up paying less for the balcony than we were originally set to pay for the inside GTY.

Thank you all for the responses.

Mamacat--thanks for the heads up. I wish I had known that while on board. Would have saved me a couple of hundred on the next cruise :(.

Aubie, Karena--how does one go about transferring you reservation to a TA? I'm all for working directly with RC to make the original reservation, I'm not going to pass up an hundred or two in savings, thats for sure. (besides, I'm sure that savings will be hitting my liver in the form of caipirinhas at Boleros! :D)

Book direct with RCCI. Then go online and find a TA (I used one of the competing websites to find one). They ask for your date/ship, etc and then they come back with competing deals. I made some calls, found a girl I felt comfortable with, asked the questions about how they pay RCCI (you want to make sure they pay RCCI direct, not you pay them and then they pay RCCI). That way I got my double points on my CC. Once I found the one I was comfortable with and talked to her, I decided to try it. Worked great and so I have stayed with her. I call/email her about 3 weeks or a month before final payment is due. I email her my reservation so she has all the details, and then she calls Royal and gets it transferred. Then she sends me an "invoice" that shows it has been transferred and the OBC she is giving me (along with any I have from Royal). Really easy. Hardest part (but not that hard) is finding one. Since we cannot tell you on here who we use, you just have to do the research and find one for yourself.

With a TA, however, if you've hand-picked a room, they will call the TA to see if you want the upgrade.

WRONG!!!! We booked through a TA and were upgraded from a D1 to a GS without being told/asked. We didn't find out until the key didn't work in the cabin door.

You can request hard copies when you book directly through the cruiseline too.

The TA did NOTHING for you that you couldn't have done for yourself.

For us, there are absolutely NO advantages to booking with a TA. It's easier and more efficient to be able to deal directly with the cruiseline, especially when you have special requests or wish to make changes. Yes, some online TA's give OBC or other perks, and while I'm tempted, it's not worth giving up control of my reservation.

I prefer working directly with the cruise company.

Admittedly, I did do some business with an online agency for a number of years taking advantage of the free insurance or free prepaid gratuities and other perks they offered.

Unfortunately, they went broke and shut their doors in November, taking millions of passenger dollars with them...money that was never forwarded to the cruise companies.

From now on, I will only book direct.

I prefer working directly with the cruise company.

Unfortunately' date=' they went broke and shut their doors in November, taking millions of passenger dollars with them...money that was never forwarded to the cruise companies.

.[/quote']

That's why I made sure she paid RCCI direct rather than me pay her and she pay RCCI. Then I don't have that problem. As soon as I make final payment, within a day, I am able to go out and finish the onboard checkin and print my boarding pass.

Like I said, I love booking my own through RCCI so I can control my reservation, but I am okay with the transfer right before final payment to get that extra OBC to have on the ship. So far as worked great doing it this way.

I book directly with RCI or X. I had a fantastic TA that was also my friend(neighbor), unfortunately he passed. Everyone else has paled in comparsion. Therefore with me I prefer to have control over my reservation. Any time the price drops I just call C&A immediately within 5 seconds the price is changed & I have the new confirmation. For me the less hassle does not equate to a bottle of wine etc.

For our first cruise we let a local TA take care of everything, including 4 nights on-site at Disneyworld, flights, etc. We were cruise newbies and didn't know a thing about it so we felt it would be easier to let a TA take care of it. And it was nice to receive a tray of chocolate covered strawberries and bottle of champagne from her on the ship.

For another Disney cruise we booked through an on-line TA, Dreams Unlimited. They were all right, but when I e-mailed to ask a question about the insurance rather than finding out herself and letting me know, she told me to call myself. I thought that was part of a TA's job, to find things out and let the client know. I would not use Dreams Unlimited again.

For the rest of our cruises I've booked them myself, directly with the cruise line. That is how I prefer doing it now. I like talking directly to the line, and being able to talk to them whenever I have questions, need to make a change, etc. If we need airfare, I book that myself as well, along with car rentals, any hotels we might need, etc. I much prefer doing it that way now, rather than going through a local TA.

I am a TA and of course I would say go with a GOOD TA. Otherwise the experience may not be good as people indicated. I have worked with some TAs who were in the biz for the wrong reason and were not customer oriented.

Also if you want to switch to a TA for a perk first look at your cruise price if its $2,000 or under you may find it hard to get great perks like paid insurance or grats because the agent probably is not making much. I recently sold a $1600 cruise and made $37.00 commission! There was not much to offer expect a coupon book! I felt bad but they were happy.

As someone said its what you feel is best for you if you want total control then do it with the line. If you want someone to do the work for you then go interview a few TAs and find the best one. The good ones monitor price drops daily and always give some kind of gift.

Also and aside RCI and Carnival sometimes upgrade without telling anyone even TAs!!! It happen to me twice. I was on Carnival in an inside gty and was given a cabin number a week before sailing. I went to go check in and I was upgraded to a balcony - no complaints here! Then I was on the Explorer a few years back and booked an Oceanview cat I gty. I was assigned a room a few weeks out. Now a few days before the cruise I always check gty cabins since mine was changed years back on Carnival. I always check all my clients as well to see if there are any changes right before sailing. So my cabin was still assigned on Deck 2 cat I. Then I go to check in and was given my card and the women said your room was changed to a wheelchair balcony - again not bad!!!! This has never happened to my clients though. These were not agent discount bookings either. 10 years doing travel I have always thought the line has to notify you but I learned and I always tell people who have gty's that you room possibly will move even after they assign. When I book rooms on a cabin assignment basis and the clients really want that specific room because of family near by or of location I tell all the lines please do not upgrade them. Of course I run this by the client first. Anyway good luck and choose what is right for you.

I used a TA for my first 2 cruises. And cruiseline direct for my last 3. I will definately say I like dealing direct. However...I am thinking of transferring my booking on my next cruise just prior to final payment...to take advantage of TA offers. BUT...and this is a big BUT...only if they will honor price drops after final payment.

Archived