Which Voyager Class ship with kiddos?

beckzay

I'm trying to decide which ship to take our three kids on. They will be 4, 12 and 12 at the time of sailing, which will hopefully be this coming fall. I don't think the southern itinerary would work because the air from NH to san juan would cost us an arm and leg! I like the idea of the adventure beach for our youngest but only a few of the ships have that right? Any advice? TIA

All the Voyager class ships are the same with some exceptions. Voyager, Explorer and Adventure are identical except for minor decor differances. Navigator and Mariner are the same except for decor.

The noticable differances that are on NOS and MOS vs the others:

1) Balconies are glass sided and glass below the rails on NOS and MOS. The others have steel.

2) Much larger Adventure Ocean area on NOS and MOS.

3) Because NOS and MOS are newer, prices tend to be a bit higher for the same time of year and itinerary.

....but you can't go wrong on any of them and you can get eastern or western Caribbean. EOS and NOS sail out of Miami and MOS sails from Port Canaveral.

My son turned 9yo last month on NOS and last year turned 8 on EOS (birthday cruises). As previously mentioned, Adventure Ocean area is bigger on NOS than on EOS because they removed the kiddie pool slide from the back of the ship. That made no difference according to my son. He LOVED both. The crew members in AO on both ships were outstanding. We were even lucky enough that some of the AO crew that we met on EOS last year were on NOS this year! One came running up to us as we boarded NOS this year because she remembered us from EOS last year. This summer we are going on AOS out of San Juan. BTW, the airfare might not be as bad as you think if you are a little flexible. If you are willing to go home a day after the cruise instead of Sunday right after the cruise, the airfare takes a big drop in price. I also decided to switch planes twice instead of once to drop it even further. By doing both of those things, our airfare turned out to be only $100 more per person from Milwaukee to San Juan than what I payed Milwaukee to Miami.

The Navigator does not have a separate children's pool & slide by the AO area.

In October 2003, we took our boys (then 3 & 6) on the Explorer to the western caribbean. My older son loved AO, and we had to pull him out of there for meals and to visit the islands. My younger one stayed close to DH and me and refused to go to AO.

On port days, we would take the boys to a beach so they could play in the sand & swim in the ocean. Before lunch, I'd take the boys back to the ship while DH stayed on the island with the rest of my family. The boys & I would have lunch at the Windjammer, they'd take a shower, Nicholas headed off to AO while Ben napped. The rest of our group would get back on the ship at the last possible moment and we'd all meet for dinner (early seating).

Sure, cruising with our boys isn't the same as the romantic cruises that DH & I used to take by ourselves, but it's a different kind of fun. And Nicholas still talks about the cruise to all his friends. He raves about it.

We're taking the boys on the Navigator in January 2004. I think they'll have an even better time this time around.

Yvonne

I'm trying to decide which ship to take our three kids on. They will be 4, 12 and 12 at the time of sailing, which will hopefully be this coming fall. I don't think the southern itinerary would work because the air from NH to san juan would cost us an arm and leg! I like the idea of the adventure beach for our youngest but only a few of the ships have that right? Any advice? TIA

If you're sailing in early fall, why not just take the Voyager out of Bayonne? You could drive down the day before, stay at a hotel that has free parking and shuttle to the port and avoid airline charges (and hassle) altogether?

Beckzay -

Like the previous posters said, the Voyager class ships are all about the same really. Explorer tends to be cheaper because it's a little older. I'm actually in the midst of putting together a Cruise Critic Group Cruise aboard the Explorer for next October 9-16. It's a Western Caribbean itinerary that leaves out of Miami. Would you and your family be interested in joining us? It happens to fall on the week of Columbus Day, so if school is a concern and your kids have that day off, that'd be one less day to worry about. Prices are extremely reasonable and if you're a Crown & Anchor member, there's also a coupon for this sailing. If you'd like booking info or for more itinerary details, check out this thread:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=63

Or e-mail me if you have any questions at LittleNads@aol.com. I hope you'll consider joining us!

A number of people already booked for this sailing have children ranging in age from 4-15, so there's sure to be plenty of fun for the kids!

:) Lisa

Mariner and Navigator both do not have the kids pool/slide area. In it's place, they have an expanded inside are for the 6-8 year olds and the outside back deck is a hang out area for kids age 12+ -- there are even signs posted for "no adults".

The kids'pool on the other ships is only 2-3 ft deep and the slide has a height restriction, so your 12 year old likely wouldn't even be able to go on it (our 13 yr old daughter who is one of the shortest in her class was too tall...and our 5 year old was about 1 inch too short, so they wouldn't let him on the slide either...)

We have sailed on Explorer & Mariner with our kids. Though we liked the kids pool area for our son, we preferred Mariner for ourselves because of the Wine bar in the Promenade and the option of 2 specialty restaurants. And the kids have a great time no matter what -- Adventure Ocean for all ages is just that great!!

But you'll enjoy any of the ships.

- PAGA

5 RCCl cruises (and one more to go in '04)

4 Celebrity Cruises

I wouldn't base the decision on the kiddie pool with slide. On Voyager, the hours the slide was open were very limited and it would only be for your 4 year-old. Which ever ship you choose, the AO staff is wonderful.

You may wish to have your 12 year-olds join the 9-11 year-old group. That's much more organized and fun than the teen area. Of course, if they're more like teenagers then they may be happy there. It all depends on the kid.

Thanks everyone for the tips and ideas! Looks like whatever I choose we'll have fun. I just want to make sure there is enough for all the kids to do if they decide that they don't want to participate in the club. Thanks again!

Lisa- The group cruise looks inviting! We are crown and anchor members too. What is the deposit amount and when is it due? I might be interested in it, even though we kind of wanted to do the eastern route, but hey, if the price is right! I see you guys book it through crucon. They just opened up a new office in NH literally right down the road from me. Small world!

Looks like Lany (lisa) beat me to the invite. A few of us booked the mentioned Explorer cruise while in the Mariner this past October. It was such a wonderful experience, we felt that we had to go again. Lisa arranged a group cruise after reading on our posts on Meet and Mingle.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=91217

Two years ago my DW, 13 year old son and friend and I cruised on the Voyager from Miami to the Western Caribbean. Beccause of Columbus day and teacher inservice, he only missed three days and it was a cheap time of year. We had not ever seriously thought of cruising as a vacation until I heard about from a co-worker. It was the result of her enthusiasm and pictures that got me started. I had heard that the Western route was better for kids as there is less emphasis on shopping and more on activities. This was very true because by the time we reached our final port of call, we were beat.

For the Explorer, Stingray city in the Caymans is awesome as is snorkeling in Cozumel. Don't know much about Belize, but I've heard the cave tubing is pretty cool for kids. Costa Maya looks to be a beach day.

Our thirteen year old boy disappeared from our sight the moment we boarded. We insisted on meeting times like dinner and that he be with us when we went ashore. This was a vacation week in some southern states, so there were plenty of kids his age. The Adventure Ocean Program is awesome and is free except for certain off hours and late nights. We sailed with a couple who had second grade triplets on Mariner and they had the time of their lives.

For arrangements down, we are 90% sure we will be flying from Logan because of the non stops and cost. We flew Delta's Song airlines this last cruise and will probably do so next year into Lauderdale as there are plenty of shuttles to Miami.

I know I've rambled, but the more the merrier.

BTW, we're just up the road a piece from you in Portland, ME. What part of NH are you in?

Wow, thanks for that great info. Sounds like the Western is better for kids. Our kids are really active and would love the adventure. This looks like the perfect ship (with the kiddie pool for our 4yr old who is a fish!) and the perfect itinerary for the older kids. You may have talked me into it. Now to convince dh!

Yeah, we would probably fly out of Boston too since we like to fly nonstop and really like Song too. Their price is usually pretty good too.

Portland isn't that far from us at all. We're right on Lake Winnipesaukee in central NH. About 45 minutes north of Concord.

beckzay, great if you can join us. So you must be near Laconia. Beautiful area. If you are Sox fans, the playoffs were shown on board the past two years. Another possible selling point. BTW, you guys getting any of this snow?

Lisa- The group cruise looks inviting! We are crown and anchor members too. What is the deposit amount and when is it due? I might be interested in it, even though we kind of wanted to do the eastern route, but hey, if the price is right! I see you guys book it through crucon. They just opened up a new office in NH literally right down the road from me. Small world!

Beckzay-

There's been a thread started under the group cruises section of the board with the booking info. It's also here:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/interests/groups.cfm?ID=63

If you book a non-suite or non-quad guarantee room, the deposit is only $25 per person! Deposit for suites/quads is $250 per person. I believe the deposit is due by December 3rd.

I see Rich already gave you the lowdown on the boat and the link to the chat that has been created. I hope your DH will give in so you guys can join us! :) If you need more info, e-mail me.

Lisa

Archived