touring Palermo on your own

I am wondering the same thing, I would love any info on this port .

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Tahitian Princess August 2003
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000

We did Palermo on our own, but than again we have done a good part of the world on our own including St Petersburg. So, I hate overpriced cattle like tours,,, hope all will forgive us for enjoying doing what we want, when we want, and with who we want. Enough of the editiorial comments (I have to get this off my chest once a year). As to Palermo, once you get clear of the port area (we walked) its not too bad. This is not a city high on our list, but its OK. IMHO the best site is am obscure place called the Capuchin Catacombs. The monks used to not allow tours to this place, but would allow small groups of folks (we were two) to enter if you dropped a small amount of Lire (now Euros) into the basket held by the monk at the door. You than get to see the most macabre scene you can imagine. 8000+ mummified corpses, all arranged on racks (and some just hanging around) and many dressed in clothes. Its very strange, and a place you will not forget. There are also the usual churches, museums, etc. But yes, you can do this on your own with a decent guide book.

Hank

Hi Hank,
We saw info for the catacombs on some travel website, and my daughter wants to go! How far is it and how do we get there from the port? Did you take a taxi? We too, hate the cattle car feel of the large tours and try to find our own way around the ports!
You can reply here, or to my e-mail at [email]suziepro@comcast.net[/email].
Thanks!
Suzie

Suzie,

I would recommend you take a taxi from the port (or even the center of town). Its a good mile and too far to walk. We took a taxi from the center of town, and grabbed a public bus back. I am replying here so others can also get this info, but have no problem answering questions via private e-mail [email]hlitner@comcast.net[/email]. I really do support these boards and like to share with others. And Mike Andrews is always around to keep me honest (have to meet this guy someday).

Hank

Its great that you are sharing on the board, cause people like to do searches for specific information such as this.
My kids are still getting over seeing the catacombs in Paris. I dont think we will be doing them again anytime sooon.

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Grand Princess Med 2000

Jacqueline, Your post made my wife and I smile! The Catacombs in Paris are interesting (if you like sewers) but are totally different than the one in Palermo. In Palermo, its more like a large basement in an old convent,,, but its truly full of thousands of weird skeletons. Its one of those places you have to see on your own! There are all kinds of storys about the Monks who own and guard this attraction. They have been known to refuse entry to groups of more than 4, turned folks away that offered too much money, etc. If I were returning today, I would probably drop about 10 Euros in the Monk's basket.

Hank

Hank, its great that you keep contributing to the board. So many people dont, and its hard to get information on some of the ports which are less frequently travelled.
The hard aspect to the Paris catacombs, which BTW I think are enormously interesting,is that it is a long one way walk. Once one begins, one has to go the whole way, even if it starts to become too much. Being American, it is hard to believe that there are just so many huge piles of bones that one is practically walking up against in a dark, dank tunnel far beneath the city. It is also a bit creepy to realize that they are under so many apartments covering a large area. I had no idea how big the network was. I though it would be a bit more like what you described.
I will say it is one of the more memorable things I have done with the kids as THEY HAVE NEVER FORGOTTEN IT !!!
How is Palerma for walking and touring on foot (once we have taken the cab to get there ) ?

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Grand Princess Med 2000

Jacqueline,
The central part of Palermo can be explored on foot without too much problem (its very flat). The Catacombs do need a taxi or bus, but once inside the walking is not difficult since its essentially a very large basement. The size is small when compared to Paris, but trust me when I say the bones are far superior [smile].

Hank

Archived