Where is the best local for your room?

Mid ship is the most popular area, but just remember if you are in rough water, it doesn't matter where your cabin is located. Add the fact that you will many times be out of your cabin and in another area of the ship, it's not so crucial.

We prefer to be in the highest cabin we can afford to pay for. We've found we're not fond of lower level cabins at all, it makes us feel like we're in the basement.

Bottom line, choose the cabin where you want to be, regardless of the location. Although I get seasick pretty easy, after many cruises I've found it doesn't make a bit of difference where our cabin is locate.

Mid ship is the most popular area, but just remember if you are in rough water, it doesn't matter where your cabin is located. Add the fact that you will many times be out of your cabin and in another area of the ship, it's not so crucial.

We prefer to be in the highest cabin we can afford to pay for. We've found we're not fond of lower level cabins at all, it makes us feel like we're in the basement.

Bottom line, choose the cabin where you want to be, regardless of the location. Although I get seasick pretty easy, after many cruises I've found it doesn't make a bit of difference where our cabin is locate.

Thanks for the advice! What do you do when you feel sea sick? Any suggestions? I am afraid I might have problems.

And another thing you only spend like 8 hours in your cabin, but the rest of the time is spent out around the ship, and if its rough seas you will know it, ie the princess theater is near the bow of the ship, if your worried abt getting sick go to your doctor advise him that your going on a cruise and ask for some Zofran or another anti-nausea medication other than over the counter stuff, My girlfriend did just that know she has a Rx if she starts getting sick, on my first cruise I was worried abt getting sick but after a day or two I felt just fine, I actually got so used the the motion of the ocean that when we hit land on our first port I felt a little " wierd "

Thanks for the advice! What do you do when you feel sea sick? Any suggestions? I am afraid I might have problems.

Apple slices work well, along with a few crackers. I have good luck with drinking a bit of ginger ale. I've tried the meds in the past, but don't care for any of them, it all makes me too sleepy.

There is a prescription patch, I haven't tried it because I don't care for the side effects, I seem to have every side effect from meds.

I think the real secret is to not have an empty stomach and if the ship is moving, don't think about getting sick. Go up on deck, get some fresh air and take a nice long walk.

The view out of a window cabin isn't much---straight ahead--no sideviews...the window is mostly to let light IN, not to see out of!

Book the deck closest to where you'll spend the majority of your time--it makes running back and forth to your cabin so much easier!

And another thing you only spend like 8 hours in your cabin, but the rest of the time is spent out around the ship, and if its rough seas you will know it, ie the princess theater is near the bow of the ship, if your worried abt getting sick go to your doctor advise him that your going on a cruise and ask for some Zofran or another anti-nausea medication other than over the counter stuff, My girlfriend did just that know she has a Rx if she starts getting sick, on my first cruise I was worried abt getting sick but after a day or two I felt just fine, I actually got so used the the motion of the ocean that when we hit land on our first port I felt a little " wierd "

This is true for some pax, but not for all. It is a generalization that many people use that describes how much time they spend in their cabin. A more accurate statement would be that if someone doesn't spend much time in their cabin, then location is probably less important.

We do spend a fair amount of time enjoying our balcony (that's the category we book--because having a balcony is important to us), so location is very, very important. On sea days, we like to spend some time relaxing and reading or talking while the ocean goes by. In the evenings, we enjoy sitting on the balcony listening to the water, looking at the stars (unless it's overcast or something), and just unwinding at the end of the day. We prefer mid-ship for both accessibility to everything and also less motion overall. We also book on decks with cabins above and below so that we don't have to worry about noise from public areas. For several reasons, we don't care for the aft cabins, even though the balconies are often larger. It's all a matter of personal preference. I never assume that anyone else cruises the same way we do.

Best location for view also depends on itinerary and even how the ship is situated in the ports. Some people love the aft for the view; others find out which side of the ship will have the most "interesting" views on that specific itinerary and book accordingly (that's what we do); other people don't care all that much and figure any view is a good view.

For motion sickness, we use preventive meclazine (generic for Bonine), which is the "less drowsy" version of Dramamine. We take 1/2 or 1 at night starting the night before the cruise. Sometimes, we don't need it at all, but figure it's better to be prepared. The other thing we've used is ginger capsules. They've proven effective for us and many others swear by them. My DH rarely has motion sickness and mostly takes the meclazine or ginger to humor me; I have motion sickness only when conditions are really bad--which doesn't happen often because we choose cruise times when the weather and water are likely to be nicer/calmer.

It's true that if the ocean conditions are very rough that it won't matter a whole lot where you are on the ship because you'll feel the motion everywhere. But, today's ships really don't have the "rocking and rolling" action except when conditions are truly severe.

beachchick

I am looking at getting a window room on the Fascination. Where is the best area of the ship for view and not getting sea sick?:confused:

vacationlover - mid ship lower decks would be the best location with the least amount of motion. But, if the waters are really rough, you will feel it no matter where you are located. Having a cabin with a window will allow you to just look straight out and will let light in. Choosing a cabin that is right for you would depend on how much time you plan on spending in there. Personally, we always just get an inside cabin, because we are only in there to sleep, shower and change! Plus, they are a lot cheaper and I would prefer to spend that extra money on other things, such as drinks, excursions, shopping etc. As far as getting sea sick, you might want to take ginger pills with you, no side effects with them. They also have Sea-Bands that you can wear on your wrists too. What ever you choose, you will enjoy your cruise and I'm sure you will be hooked like the rest of us!

For motion sickness, we use preventive meclazine (generic for Bonine), which is the "less drowsy" version of Dramamine. We take 1/2 or 1 at night starting the night before the cruise.

beachchick

We tried this (generic meclizine) once, since I had read about it so many times on CC. Well for us, a group of 7 people (I passed it out), it was the very worst thing we have ever tried. We would have slept the entire cruise if we had continued! After the 3rd day, we pitched the bottle in the trash, woke up and had no seasickness problems at all.

What has worked better for me is the less-drowsy formula of Dramamine, which is not meclizine at all, it is Diminhydrate, basically an antihistamine. Bonine is meclizine, which is also a form of antihistamine, but they are somehow different.

If I were you, I would do a test run, or talk with your doctor ahead of time.

I have discontinued taking anything at all and have been absolutely fine the last 3-4 cruises.

I get motion sickness easily (trains, planes & autos!).

I get an rx for the transscop patch and it is great. It is a little round

bandage that you wear behind your ear. You change to a new one every

three days. I have never had any side effects, and I am very sensitive with lots of allergies. (no tiredness, no problems drinking)

I highly recommend it if you are able to get to your dr!

As for cabins, I haven't had problems, but def mid ship is least movement.

Enjoy your cruise!! :)

We tried this (generic meclizine) once, since I had read about it so many times on CC. Well for us, a group of 7 people (I passed it out), it was the very worst thing we have ever tried. We would have slept the entire cruise if we had continued! After the 3rd day, we pitched the bottle in the trash, woke up and had no seasickness problems at all.

What has worked better for me is the less-drowsy formula of Dramamine, which is not meclizine at all, it is Diminhydrate, basically an antihistamine. Bonine is meclizine, which is also a form of antihistamine, but they are somehow different.

If I were you, I would do a test run, or talk with your doctor ahead of time.

I have discontinued taking anything at all and have been absolutely fine the last 3-4 cruises.

What a bummer that the meclizine had such side effects for you, but I'm not incorrect about the various brand names. Just to be sure, I checked the website and read the packaging. Diminhydrate is what's in regular Dramamine. The Less Drowsy formula contains meclizine. Meclizine is also branded as Bonine and sold at prescription strength (whatever dose that is) as Antivert. I think it also used to be marketed as Dramamine II, but I'm not positive.

I have no doubt that some people react poorly to one or both meds. We get very drowsy and feel "off" when we take regular Dramamine, but have no noticable side effects of meclizine.

In any case, I'm glad you found the best thing that works for you. When that's needing nothing at all, even better.

beachchick

Archived