RX meds/vitamins/OTC meds

cfc525

Same here. On cruises I take enough pills in the original pharmacy container for twice the length of time I expect to be gone. (e.g. 7 day cruise = 14 days of pills, etc.) Whatever number of pills left over I leave at home in our home safe. I use those weekly pill boxes once onboard.

I did not think TSA or any foreign countries require you have 90 pills in the original container even if the label says you may renew for 90 days? Am I missing something here?

OK. I just thought of one thing I did miss. The huge jars from the pharmacy containing the original pills are still huge. You must take some really huge pills. But are yours really that big?

Having one's meds in original pill container also applies at international borders such as Canada into the US or reverse. One of my meds comes in a huge bottle but we asked the pharmacy if they would put a label on a smaller empty bottle that could be used for a smaller number of pills and they were happy to oblige. I can't say if this is policy elsewhere. We live in Southwest British Columbia.

D. icon7.gif

No, you do not have to have a full 90 days supply in the 90 day bottle. You only have to have the proper pill in the pharmacy bottle. I do like you and bring about double the quantity as the length of time we plan to be away. It is fine to have 14 pills in a bottle that once held 90.

You could be not continuing a medication past a certain date for whatever reason and are just finishing the last of the prescription.

I didn't think they had to be in their original bottle. I prepourred mine in a plastic med dispenser for a full week. I remember reading that it was OK. I wish I could remember where I saw that. (too many meds lead to confusion)

I didn't think they had to be in their original bottle. I prepourred mine in a plastic med dispenser for a full week. I remember reading that it was OK. I wish I could remember where I saw that. (too many meds lead to confusion)

You were lucky (like many/most people) and had no problem. Just two weeks ago, had I not had my pills in their pharmacy bottles, I was told I would have lost them. I cannot take that risk. It could have severe consequences for me.

Simple....... you get away with it GREAT.

You don't........ not so great if your health depends upon your need to have those medications.

Think ahead to how you would replace them if they are confiscated and see if that changes your thinking.

The vast majority will fly easily with them and no problem. Do you want to be the person who doesn't pull it off?

Your choice.

I agree with leaving all medications in their original bottles. Yes, some of the 3 month mail order bottles can be quite large and a lot of insurances require you to mail away. We have found that on maintenance medications that insurance requires you to mail away for a 3 month supply, we get a one month prescription that we fill at the local pharmacy. We also get a three month prescription to mail away. We just fill the smaller bottle and use that for travel.

My husband flies around 100k miles a year for business and has had his med bag pulled multiple times. Certain TSA agents and certain airports are stricter than others. He does not have the time to waste at a security checkpoint explaining what is in a 7 day organizer and can not risk having his medications confiscated.

He has also had one TSA agent give him a hard time because of a leg brace. He had surgery to repair a ruptured quadricept and was in a hip to ankle brace. The TSA agent told him he needed to take it off, which he refused to do (we had researched online and had printed the rules concerning medical equipment). My husband asked for a supervisor to be called which made the TSA agent even less cooperative. Luckily, a supervisor had been watching and told the agent to swab the brace for explosives and let my husband through if it proved clean.

Bring the original containers, really not worth the hassle if you run into a TSA agent who is having a bad day.

Wonder if TSA would take responsibility for someone having a heart attack or stroke because their pills were in a seven day planner and thus thrown out. I take two pills for high blood pressure and one for gastric reflex. The original containers are huge (six month supply because I will be taking them, according to my doctor, for the rest of my life). I'm afraid to pack my seven day planner in my checked bag for fear my bag may not make it and afraid to pack the seven day planner in my carry on for fear it will be taken from me. Darn, between medications and liquids . . . it was so much easier back in the days when I was a flight attendant (1967 to 1987). :(

Wonder if TSA would take responsibility for someone having a heart attack or stroke because their pills were in a seven day planner and thus thrown out. I take two pills for high blood pressure and one for gastric reflex. The original containers are huge (six month supply because I will be taking them, according to my doctor, for the rest of my life). I'm afraid to pack my seven day planner in my checked bag for fear my bag may not make it and afraid to pack the seven day planner in my carry on for fear it will be taken from me. Darn, between medications and liquids . . . it was so much easier back in the days when I was a flight attendant (1967 to 1987). :(

Well, I just went and checked out the "rules" for prescriptions and it stated that they recommend keeping in original containers, but NOT necessary. My DH and I have the same problem - bottles way too big and too many of them. We always use the 7 day holder and so far, no problems. Not that I couldn't have a problem, but I guess I will just continue to use it and hope for the best.

. Darn, between medications and liquids . . . it was so much easier back in the days when I was a flight attendant (1967 to 1987). :(

It was so much easier and more pleasant for us customers, as well. :) :D

It was so much easier and more pleasant for us customers, as well. :) :D

Amen to that! I not only worked for the airlines but I flew as a passenger as often as possible (one of the perks of working for an airline). Flying used to be fun . . . the extension of one's vacation. Now . . . it's worse than traveling by bus . . . :o

• Administrators
I agree with leaving all medications in their original bottles. <snip for space>

Bring the original containers, really not worth the hassle if you run into a TSA agent who is having a bad day.

I completely agree with this, and it's what I always post when I see these threads. These are minimum-wage government subcontractors who have been given a nifty uniform and apparent "authority" to give people a hard time about all kinds of stuff -- it's like a former school bully's DREAM job!

Why would you, the traveler whose main goal is to get ON the plane and OUT of the airport, give those TSA folks any reason take out a bad day on you? Even if the TSA agent is wrong, it will still take time to sort out -- time and stress, when all you want to do is get on your plane and leave. Pills and prescription bottles weigh next to nothing, even in the 90 day supply size (and my pharmacist has also worked with me for smaller bottles for travel). I'm a big "issues" person and "crusader" -- but not when what's at stake is my hard-earned vacation time/money -- I'd rather be on a cruise than stuck at the airport, even if I am ultimately proven "right."

You were lucky (like many/most people) and had no problem. Just two weeks ago, had I not had my pills in their pharmacy bottles, I was told I would have lost them. I cannot take that risk. It could have severe consequences for me.

Simple....... you get away with it GREAT.

You don't........ not so great if your health depends upon your need to have those medications.

Think ahead to how you would replace them if they are confiscated and see if that changes your thinking.

The vast majority will fly easily with them and no problem. Do you want to be the person who doesn't pull it off?

Your choice.

Who told this where?

Was it customs coming into the US? It is only customs that could do it. The TSA cannot.

So, where were told this and by who?

I agree with leaving all medications in their original bottles. Yes, some of the 3 month mail order bottles can be quite large and a lot of insurances require you to mail away. We have found that on maintenance medications that insurance requires you to mail away for a 3 month supply, we get a one month prescription that we fill at the local pharmacy. We also get a three month prescription to mail away. We just fill the smaller bottle and use that for travel.

My husband flies around 100k miles a year for business and has had his med bag pulled multiple times. Certain TSA agents and certain airports are stricter than others. He does not have the time to waste at a security checkpoint explaining what is in a 7 day organizer and can not risk having his medications confiscated.

He has also had one TSA agent give him a hard time because of a leg brace. He had surgery to repair a ruptured quadricept and was in a hip to ankle brace. The TSA agent told him he needed to take it off, which he refused to do (we had researched online and had printed the rules concerning medical equipment). My husband asked for a supervisor to be called which made the TSA agent even less cooperative. Luckily, a supervisor had been watching and told the agent to swab the brace for explosives and let my husband through if it proved clean.

The TSA cannot take pills away from you............... The have no right.....

They can stop you from taking more than 3oz of a medicine I guess. But that is any liquid and has nothing to do with a prescription.

I don't know where anyone gets the idea that the TSA can enforce drug laws. Not there job.....

Customs can do this, but they are not going to bother over a few pills. More likely to get stopped for large amounts of vitamins and over the counter then a three week supply of prescription pill.

Like I said, don't know where people get the miss-information about the TSA.

They can stop you from taking more than 3oz of a medicine I guess. But that is any liquid and has nothing to do with a prescription.

I don't know where anyone gets the idea that the TSA can enforce drug laws. Not there job.....

Customs can do this, but they are not going to bother over a few pills. More likely to get stopped for large amounts of vitamins and over the counter then a three week supply of prescription pill.

I have stated what my husband has experienced, plain and simple. I have not provided any "misinformation". Just because the TSA did not question your medications, that does not mean my husband hasn't been stopped multiple times.

As I stated before, my husband flies around 100k miles a year, many times buying his ticket the same day he flies. He has been stopped on more than one occasion at security for additional screening and has had his medication bag gone through by a TSA agent.

Why don't you question the TSA next time you go through security and let us know how it goes. Hopefully, it won't be you we see on the nightly news being handcuffed for asking a question or having your pants pulled down like happened to one elderly gentleman.

• Administrators

From numerous reports, many first hand here at CC. My larger question to you is this -- regardless of whether the agency has the "legal" authority to question/stop/confiscate -- would you advise a family member to risk that based on what you (say you) know about TSA's legal authority?

Who told this where?

Was it customs coming into the US? It is only customs that could do it. The TSA cannot.

So, where were told this and by who?

Whoa....... no need to 'fire at me'. I wouldn't mind a 'softer approach'.

It was at FLL airport and guess what......... doesn't matter if they are right or wrong, they have the badge and power and I'm not going to win the argument. They are. I'm not even going to fight the fight. I am going to be sure I am never in that position by taking every possible preventative step to avoid it. Because I used good judgement and traveled with my medications in such a way, I had no problem.

You want to fight with them, that's your business.

Whoa....... no need to 'fire at me'. I wouldn't mind a 'softer approach'.

It was at FLL airport and guess what......... doesn't matter if they are right or wrong, they have the badge and power and I'm not going to win the argument. They are. I'm not even going to fight the fight. I am going to be sure I am never in that position by taking every possible preventative step to avoid it. Because I used good judgement and traveled with my medications in such a way, I had no problem.

You want to fight with them, that's your business.

Why don't you tell me what a softer approch would have been? Did I say you lied or that someone did not tell you something?

All I did was ask who told you this where. It could have been customs.

At any rate now you know that TSA cannot take your pills and could care less about pills. See http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm for a list of items that they will take.

We should just try to give accuate infromation.

From numerous reports, many first hand here at CC. My larger question to you is this -- regardless of whether the agency has the "legal" authority to question/stop/confiscate -- would you advise a family member to risk that based on what you (say you) know about TSA's legal authority?

No one here has every had pills taken by the TSA that I ever saw reported on CC.

Yes I would advise a family member, because there is no risk of losing your medication due to not having a prescription from the TSA.

Do you always carry your prescription with all times we you have a prescription drug with you? If not why, the police could want to see them and they have more authority then the TSA.

Anyone that have had prescription drugs taken from them by the TSA please tell us about it. Also, if you have had customs take them lets us know.

I use the weekly containers also, but always have a copy of the prescription in the case and on my person. Recently I found a neat pencil case from Walmart (non-transparent, soft cloth) and used small individual medication size ziplocks from Rite Aid, and placed the meds in them, then inside the pencil case. This worked fine for me on cruises and going through airports. The same type case (vinyl/leather) can be found online for $29.00, but the pencil case and small bags were less than $5.00 total.

If indeed you can't get it in smaller bottles, you do need to get a copy of the prescription to take with you. That generally will suffice should you indeed get questioned. It may be that you never will...but if you're one of the unlucky ones to get stopped, it could help out a lot!

We carry detailed, current lists of medications that our doctor prints on his office letterhead and then signs and dates. As well, we always carry certain meds in their original bottles, which have detailed prescription information and a description of what the pills look like. (I think the description is now a requirement, at least in our state, due to medication filling errors.) We wouldn't even consider not bringing controlled medications in anything but the original bottles. That's why we get them filled in smaller bottles from time to time.

I completely agree with this, and it's what I always post when I see these threads. These are minimum-wage government subcontractors who have been given a nifty uniform and apparent "authority" to give people a hard time about all kinds of stuff -- it's like a former school bully's DREAM job!

Why would you, the traveler whose main goal is to get ON the plane and OUT of the airport, give those TSA folks any reason take out a bad day on you? Even if the TSA agent is wrong, it will still take time to sort out -- time and stress, when all you want to do is get on your plane and leave. Pills and prescription bottles weigh next to nothing, even in the 90 day supply size (and my pharmacist has also worked with me for smaller bottles for travel). I'm a big "issues" person and "crusader" -- but not when what's at stake is my hard-earned vacation time/money -- I'd rather be on a cruise than stuck at the airport, even if I am ultimately proven "right."

Weight isn't really the issue. Size is. You know how huge some of those 90-day bottles are. It's beyond impractical to carry some of the huge ones, especially when you're dealing with several medications.

Amen to that! I not only worked for the airlines but I flew as a passenger as often as possible (one of the perks of working for an airline). Flying used to be fun . . . the extension of one's vacation. Now . . . it's worse than traveling by bus . . . :o

That is so true. DH and I both come from families full of pilots and he has done some flying. We used to look forward to all kinds of flights. Now, we approach commercial flights with the same dread as going to the dentist.

beachchick

Why don't you tell me what a softer approch would have been? Did I say you lied or that someone did not tell you something?

At any rate now you know that TSA cannot take your pills and could care less about pills. See http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/prohibited/permitted-prohibited-items.shtm for a list of items that they will take.

We are giving information based on our experience. At least I am. The TSA agents have indeed stopped me, thoroughly questioned me, examined carefully all of my meds, compared them to the prescriptions on the bottles against the copies of the prescriptions I presented to them, and would not let me continue on until they were satisfied. So perhaps they didn't have the authority .. but they certainly convinced ME they did.

No one has mentioned Medic Alert. There is a phone number engraved on the tags to call if there are any health issues. All the doctors and all medications are on file with Medic Alert. The TSA could call that number to verify your meds. I carry a list of meds printed out from our mail pharmacy when traveling. Everything is sorted before leaving home. There's no way we are carrying around 30 some odd huge bottles just to have the labels. We've done a lot of traveling and have only once been questioned. That was many years ago when I wore an insulin pump. It was something new at the time. I explained what it was and showed my Medic Alert bracelet. No problem after that.

The information I give here is always accurate as to my personal experience. I can only speak for what I personally have encountered. Not what you or someone else experienced. Same for everyone.

I'll restate my personal perspective in this regard.

You can quote the rules until the cows come home but my personal position is that TSA has a badge and power. I do not. I have no desire to be on the 6 o'clock news because I chose to fight with them about what they can and cannot do.

My personal choice is to prevent the confrontation and problem by taking perventative steps to be sure I am in the most total compliance possible.

Authorities have certainly been known to overstep their bounds. We all have tv's and see shows about some abuses by some authorities.

I am more than happy if you wish to fight the fight for all of us.

No one here has every had pills taken by the TSA that I ever saw reported on CC.

Yes I would advise a family member, because there is no risk of losing your medication due to not having a prescription from the TSA.

Do you always carry your prescription with all times we you have a prescription drug with you? If not why, the police could want to see them and they have more authority then the TSA.

Anyone that have had prescription drugs taken from them by the TSA please tell us about it. Also, if you have had customs take them lets us know.

I have seen this once and my doctor once told me as well, that there are people who carry other people's medication. Perhaps one person told them that this works well for me so you should try it.

As my doctor said. When people take meds that are perscribeds for someone else. You take the risk of having a serious reaction. So when I saw this happen it was because the name did not match the traveler for the perscribed medication.

I printed out a copy of the TSA's Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions. If I'm reading this correctly (as well as all the other "stuff" at the TSA's website) . . . there is no mention anywhere about taking pill in your carry on . . . whether in a prescription bottle or a seven day planner. With regard to liquid and gel medication . . . either via prescription or over-the-counter, you need not put that medicine in the quart size bag with 3 oz or less. It says . . .

"All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops and saline solution for medical purposes." "However, if the liquid medications are in volumes larger than 3 ozs. each, they may not be placed in the quart-size bag and must be declared to the Transportation Security."

Thus, it seems I'll be able to take my 6 oz bottle of Nitquil (for the cold I'm coming down with) in my carry on bag as long as I show it to them (unopened of course).

Additionally, it seems I'll be able to take my seven day planner with the pills I have to take for high blood pressure, etc. in my carry on. If anyone can point out to me where it says one can't do this in the TSA Report . . . please let me know.

I printed out a copy of the TSA's Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions. If I'm reading this correctly (as well as all the other "stuff" at the TSA's website) . . . there is no mention anywhere about taking pill in your carry on . . . whether in a prescription bottle or a seven day planner. With regard to liquid and gel medication . . . either via prescription or over-the-counter, you need not put that medicine in the quart size bag with 3 oz or less. It says . . .

"All prescription and over-the-counter medications (liquids, gels, and aerosols) including KY jelly, eye drops and saline solution for medical purposes." "However, if the liquid medications are in volumes larger than 3 ozs. each, they may not be placed in the quart-size bag and must be declared to the Transportation Security."

Thus, it seems I'll be able to take my 6 oz bottle of Nitquil (for the cold I'm coming down with) in my carry on bag as long as I show it to them (unopened of course).

Additionally, it seems I'll be able to take my seven day planner with the pills I have to take for high blood pressure, etc. in my carry on. If anyone can point out to me where it says one can't do this in the TSA Report . . . please let me know.

As someone said earlier in this thread, they do not "require" original bottles but they do "recommend". Here is the link to that page and a copy of the section I am referring to:

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/specialneeds/editorial_1059.shtm

Non-liquid or gel medications of all kinds such as solid pills, or inhalers are allowed through the security checkpoint once they have been screened. We recommend, but do not require, that your medications be labeled to assist with the screening process.

I have only shared what my husband, a frequent flier, has encountered. We will continue to fly with our original bottles including the big 3 month bottles since we don't want to have to go through any additional hassles at security especially if we have a tight connection or a ship to catch.;)

If you are comfortable using your organizer, that is your perogative. There is really no way of knowing what you are going to encounter at a security checkpoint. We are just trying to get through security with as little aggravation as possible.:)

Archived