Do not wear UGGS in Alaska

melika091900

I dont know if I posted this before, but silly me went to alaska in august with 2 uggs and 2 other knock offs just like uggs and let me tell you,i almost fell so many times !!! those boots are not good for alaska at all,

i know alot of people ask about what clothes to take etc, so i just wanted to give info about this since i experienced it,, hee heee

i would only take rain type boots and tennis shoes, never uggs or anything like them, i almost slipped on concrete even, it was crazy...

happy new year

melissa

There are also winter uggs that have a different bottom with more traction. But......in slush and rain they dont hold up and become quite the mess. My daughter Melissa (yes her name too) wore them in Montreal for months during their winter months. Big mistake as the sheepskin got wrecked.

I bought a terrific pair of Bass waterproof shoes at their outlet store which have taken me through much rain, snow and slush here in Toronto. I plan on taking them with me to Alaska as well. Not great for big puddles as they are only ankle height but dont expect deep snow in May. Right?

Thanks for the info, Melissa!

For those of us (like me) who have never been, all advice is appreciated. Glad you didn't actually fall and get hurt.

i know it was crazy,i was slipping and sliding around everywhere, and we were going on a tour so i couldnt run back and change them, the bus was about to leave, not to mention it was POURING RAIN,,

it took them about 1 month to fully dry out ,, it was awful, i was so glad my lil one wasnt wearing hers,she would have fallen for sure, i was the only idiot wearing them, hee heee ;)

I have been to Alaska 3 times and I love the pair of Gore-tex waterproof low cut hikers I got off of Zappos.com. My daughter got some also and they did us great in Alaska. We both have different brands of shoes. To me, the thing is Gore-tex (waterproof) shoes (low-cut or high cut) whichever is more comfortable to you. The gore-tex shoes also always kept my feet nice and warm but not too warm.

That's what worked for us. I just bought some Ugg's knockoffs today and definitely they would not be good in rain or damp weather. I bought them just to keep my feet warm when it is chilly and windy out.

UGGs are boots from an Australian company that have been quite popular the last few years. They are high priced and now made in China.

http://www.uggaustralia.com/index.aspx

Essentially they are sheepskin boots and very very warm. As vbmom suggests the name UGGS is just a brand which became popular, over the top expensive (about twice as much here in Canada) and now made in China. Thats why I buy my "uggs" directly from a New Zealand online company, made there, are 1/2 the price, and love them. But would never wear them in rain or slush, because the sheepskin becomes a mess.

... My daughter Melissa (yes her name too) wore them in Montreal for months during their winter months. Big mistake as the sheepskin got wrecked....

Real Montrealer's can tell the immigrants to the city by what they wear in winter. Anyone wearing winter boots is either from the suburbs or immigrated to the city. Montrealer's generally wear... SHOES all winter long. Running shoes, hiking shoes, any shoes with traction. We go in and out so often that boots get too hot.

Real Montrealer's can tell the immigrants to the city by what they wear in winter. Anyone wearing winter boots is either from the suburbs or immigrated to the city. Montrealer's generally wear... SHOES all winter long. Running shoes, hiking shoes, any shoes with traction. We go in and out so often that boots get too hot.

Well my daughter "the immigrant from Toronto" was a McGill student there for 4 years. Trust me by her 2nd year she wore hiking boots with traction, have you ever been on campus and walked up those hills with running shoes? Good for you, the real Montrealer.

The OP made a reference to UGGS in Alaska as I recall. I was seconding the recommendation not to wear them.

Essentially they are sheepskin boots and very very warm. As vbmom suggests the name UGGS is just a brand which became popular, over the top expensive (about twice as much here in Canada) and now made in China. Thats why I buy my "uggs" directly from a New Zealand online company, made there, are 1/2 the price, and love them. But would never wear them in rain or slush, because the sheepskin becomes a mess.

Would you mind sharing the link to this New Zealand company?

• 2 months later...

Just got my second my of Shoes for Crews shoes. They are water resistant, light weight, and slip resistant. It is the second pair I have gotten from this company, and ordered more because they held up so well for so long, and the slip resistant was great on my wood deck that I walk across every morning, sometimes wet, sometimes icey. I really forgot how good the anti slip part was until one day on my day off I had other shoes on and as I went down the steps started to slip!! Oooops, different shoes. That sold me. Besided, I pay for them at work thru a payroll deduction, half in each of two weeks, so its pretty painless. I really hate to buy shoes. I know, strange for a woman, but its true.

What kind of shoes does anyone suggest for a Florida cruiser who does not want to spend $100 or more for footwear for a 7 day Alaksa cruise (and will probably never need to wear them again)?

I've seen other threads where people are talking about expensive (for my bugdet) brands of waterproof shoes they are taking on their cruise. Kind of scares me, because I have no need for something like that in everyday life, and can't see spending a bundle for a one time event.

What kind of shoes does anyone suggest for a Florida cruiser who does not want to spend $100 or more for footwear for a 7 day Alaksa cruise (and will probably never need to wear them again)?

I've seen other threads where people are talking about expensive (for my bugdet) brands of waterproof shoes they are taking on their cruise. Kind of scares me, because I have no need for something like that in everyday life, and can't see spending a bundle for a one time event.

My DH and I simply wear tennis shoes, not the canvas ones but leather ones and never had a problem at all. Next month we will be taking our 7th trip there and unless you are planning to climb a glacier tennis shoes are just fine. For nicer days and there are some nice days I have also wore a sort of canvas sandal but with socks. Works for me.

Marilyn

Archived