Do not wear UGGS in Alaska

melika091900

Well I guess I will be the voice of dissent here, but I loved my UGGS and wore them on both of our Alaska cruises, both on and off the cruise ship. For me they were super comfortable, warm and walkable. I walked all over Sitka with no problem at all. We never experienced more than a drizzle in any of our ports, so that may have made it better, but I will definitely be taking my UGGS on our Alaska cruise this summer.

Thanks, Marilyn. That's what I was hoping to be able to get by with. We're not planning any nature walks or glacier glimbing. I figured on taking 2 pairs, in case we have wet weather and I need something dry to change to for the next day.

Mary Lou

• 4 years later...

Unless you’re spending quite of bit of time in higher elevations those would be a bit much for May. Tennis or walking shoes do fine most of the time in May. A light hiking boot is good if you are doing more than walking the sidewalks in towns. A waterproof shoe is more important then something for the cold and that can many times be done by just purchasing a waterproof/resistant spray.

These are waterproof and are much lighter then they look. But they are bulky so not sure if i really want to pack them

I have only wore tennis shoes in Alaska and I have been probably 10-12x. And the majority of my Alaskan cruises have been in May.

-tl

lsw0224: While it is hard to comment on specific footwear without actually seeing the product, those look like winter boots! I agree with Glaciers -- unless you are doing some very unique excursions, those are way too much for May. We are outdoorsy but I wouldn't pack something similar to footwear in the photo.

I have only wore tennis shoes in Alaska and I have been probably 10-12x. And the majority of my Alaskan cruises have been in May.

-tl

Agree..I also wore tennis shoes (Ked's leather type) for our May cruises....Yikes...this is an old thread !!

I dont know if I posted this before, but silly me went to alaska in august with 2 uggs and 2 other knock offs just like uggs and let me tell you,i almost fell so many times !!! those boots are not good for alaska at all,

i know alot of people ask about what clothes to take etc, so i just wanted to give info about this since i experienced it,, hee heee

i would only take rain type boots and tennis shoes, never uggs or anything like them, i almost slipped on concrete even, it was crazy...

happy new year

melissa

You realize that Uggs weren't even originally designed to be worn outdoors? They were slippers to keep you warm in your house.

There are a lot of misconceptions about Alaska with many being about how cold we are up here in the summer. This site is good to research historical temperatures for many Alaska communities. Although it was a little warmer than normal this year, it hit 73 degrees in Juneau this past May.

http://www.arh.noaa.gov/climate.php?stnid=PAJN&mon=5&yr=2013&obs=true&precip=true

Thanks for the advice on tennis shoes. That sounds practical to me. ;)

Uggs used to be popular (& maybe in some slower parts of the US they still are) but they are no longer 'the gotta have it' trend. Men, tell your wives that they're very "yesterday" and maybe then they won't feel the need to buy them & will avoid looking like a tourist. :D

I know this is an old thread but maybe someone can help. I found these during the summer at TJMaxx for a great deal and thought they would be good for Alaska since im going in May....are these a bad idea??

1909-SAN_2_D1.jpg?sw=556&sh=680&sm=fit

Those aren't needed for a trip to Alaska in May. That little fur collar thing will just end up soaking wet. You be better off wearing a pair of tennis shoes. Which is what I wear almost year round up here. Unless I'm going hiking in seriously deep snow I'm almost always wearing tennis shoes. Sometimes they'll get a little wet but they tend to dry out much quicker then that hot mess in the pic you posted.

Those aren't needed for a trip to Alaska in May. That little fur collar thing will just end up soaking wet. You be better off wearing a pair of tennis shoes. Which is what I wear almost year round up here. Unless I'm going hiking in seriously deep snow I'm almost always wearing tennis shoes. Sometimes they'll get a little wet but they tend to dry out much quicker then that hot mess in the pic you posted.

Ironically - I looked at these boots last fall at TJ Maxx also. The fur part can be flipped up so it isn't exposed. Now after saying that, I would not bring them to Alaska. I would bring a good pair of Nikes or New Balance (or whatever tennis shoe you wear).

I looked at buying them because the sole on these is pretty darn good and we get snow and ice here and they were cheap at TJ Maxx. I ended up with a waterproof Keene boot. I wasn't buying them for a fashion statement, I walk a lot during the day and need a good sole! It does seem people in CA wear them more for a fashion statement than for weather (from what I hear) as people wear them with skirts and shorts and not during winter. I would not bring my Keene boots to Alaska as they are just not needed.

Those are really cute. I'd trust Coral's advice though - they might be a little overkill.

Archived