This is what we did...

Nicki61

Below you will see a photo of my DH in the most fun thing ever! We rented this Scoot Coupe in Cozumel and had soooo much fun.

It drives like a motor cycle, but it has 2 seats side by side. 2 wheels in the front, 1 in the back. A very little trunk.

But for $50 we had the most fun for the day...plus gas. $5.00

They were sitting at the dock, right next to the Avis car rental.

IMG_1253.jpg

Since we had taken a jeep around the whole island in 2007, we knew there wasn't much of a reason to do that again. So we drove to the Wyndham resort, near Nachi Cocom and spent a few hours there. Then drove back to town. Did some shopping, very easy parking.

But it was just so much fun. I think we laughed the whole time we were in the thing. People waving at us...it was just a hoot.

But if you wanted to go around the island you certainly could. It would probably go about 50mph. So with that speed you can get places.

Since we had taken a jeep around the whole island in 2007, we knew there wasn't much of a reason to do that again. So we drove to the Wyndham resort, near Nachi Cocom and spent a few hours there. Then drove back to town. Did some shopping, very easy parking.

But it was just so much fun. I think we laughed the whole time we were in the thing. People waving at us...it was just a hoot.

But if you wanted to go around the island you certainly could. It would probably go about 50mph. So with that speed you can get places.

Great pic, those things look like a blast! I was just wondering how you liked the Wyndham. I'm booked with Island Marketing for their AI, but I've heard mixed reviews. Some sing their praises, others weren't so impressed. I'm not picky and very easy to please. Just wondering what you thought of it. Thanks!

Great pic, those things look like a blast! I was just wondering how you liked the Wyndham. I'm booked with Island Marketing for their AI, but I've heard mixed reviews. Some sing their praises, others weren't so impressed. I'm not picky and very easy to please. Just wondering what you thought of it. Thanks!

Actually we liked it. We didn't eat there, we only had a couple of drinks and swam. But the food looked delish.

The pool was very nice and large. Many chairs. The beach is small and has rocks. Wear water shoes and you will have no problems. The rest of the building was clean and very pretty. Day passes are like $65 each, so don't worry.

And yes the scoot was a riot.

Below you will see a photo of my DH in the most fun thing ever! We rented this Scoot Coupe in Cozumel and had soooo much fun.

It drives like a motor cycle, but it has 2 seats side by side. 2 wheels in the front, 1 in the back. A very little trunk.

But for $50 we had the most fun for the day...plus gas. $5.00

They were sitting at the dock, right next to the Avis car rental.

IMG_1253.jpg

wow this looks fun, so you can rent them right off the pier?

Boy you all were lucky you did not get run over on that thing.:eek:

Why would we get run over? The road is a 2 lanes each way. Most everyone is driving safely. And this mode of travel is no more unsafe than a taxi.

And yes, they were available for rent at the pier. We were docked at the farthest pier from town(don't know the name). They were all lined up, ready to go.

That is exactly what I was looking for. We just wanted something that we can tool around in. It is our visit to Cozumel and just wanted to take in the island on our own and see the sites. Is it worth driving around the island? How many scoots were for rent? Do you remember what the jeep rental price was?

That is exactly what I was looking for. We just wanted something that we can tool around in. It is our visit to Cozumel and just wanted to take in the island on our own and see the sites. Is it worth driving around the island? How many scoots were for rent? Do you remember what the jeep rental price was?

Ok, this is my opinion. If it is your 1st visit to Cozumel then, yes you should drive around the island. Although there is NOT MUCH on the other side. Rougher seas because it is on that side. Pretty, but just road in front of you. Takes about an hour or so to go around.

There were about 12 scoots when we were there. With us being the only ones renting one. If you are in for fun, just scooting around. Pulling up and getting out, this is the fun thing to do.

The jeep, from what I remember cost about $100 with tax and fees for the day. But 4 people can get in one of those and of course they have much more room. Clunky, we thought ours was going to fall apart before we got back.

to each their own though.

Nicki, thanks for the info. I looked the island over on google and there does not appear to be too much on the other side of the island. I would think staying on the west side and moving up and down the coast would be best. We are just looking for some small non touristy beach places so we might be able to enjoy a cold beer and some fresh ceviche.

http://cozumelmexico.net/restaurants/

I used this one to try and plan our day.

We did eat at a great little hole in the wall though.

COSTA BRAVA...don't ask me where it is but it is down town on a side street. Anyone can probably head you there. But the food was so good and authentic. No Yard tall glasses or balloon hats. Just food.

Could you post that picture again, or do you know of the place that rents them? How much was it?

We docked at the furthest dock from town. Not sure of the name. But after walking through the little shops, there are several car rental places. One of those rents these things. The cost was $50 a day(or was when we rented) and $5.00 for gas.

Everything else is included, ins also.

We rented one. We both fit in the one, it is made for 2 people. We are not the smallest people, but were more than comfortable.

And the funniest part is, while be told about the scoot, the guy says: And it has Mexican reverse. We looked at each other and said "what"? He laughed and said, get out and push! lol

Ok, this is my opinion. If it is your 1st visit to Cozumel then, yes you should drive around the island. Although there is NOT MUCH on the other side. Rougher seas because it is on that side. Pretty, but just road in front of you. Takes about an hour or so to go around.

Looks like fun and safer than a typical scooter. Re the East side -- we enjoyed the scenery - Punta Sur on the south end, and along the East coast -- blow holes, El Mirador, Chen Rio (great food), Coconuts (great views), and Mezcalito's.

Most likely a Chinese copy of these:

http://www.scootcoupe.com/

I'm going to cancel my Avis reservation and go with two of these instead.

Any way to reserve in advance?

You can also rent these in Miami and other cities (GPS talking car tours).

They are exactly just alike. I don't know the name...If I find the paper work I will post it. But I do believe I have thrown that all away.

Way more fun than the jeep.

Those look hysterically fun! I don't think I could ever convince my hubby to do it, though... Haha!

Well my DH is 57 and not the slimest person and he had a riot! Laughing all the time he was driving it. As you can see from the smile that is on his face. Your DH might just surprise you.

WOW I think they look like a blast! Unfortunately my husband is 6'4 and about 320# so there is no way he's riding in one of those. He has a hard time fitting in my full size Tahoe, there's no way I'm getting him in one of those.

Fortunately, he's doing the dolphin swim with one of the other gals, so maybe I can convince her husband to go with me in one!

I dunno. I'm an adventurous person. I've been to Coz 6 times, and rented a car 3 or 4 of those times. But these just don't look safe. And too many crazy cab drivers and drunks.

Well I personally think you are wrong about them not being safe. Anything can be deemed unsafe in the wrong hands. Drive correctly and things will be fine.

And trust me, the cab drivers dont' want to get into an accident any more than you do. But we aren't driving the Daytona 500 here, we are driving in Cozumel. 2 lanes each way. Stay to the right and let people pass you when they want to. Block the road and you will get run over. Simple driving etiquette.

But that is your decision. But my DH would not have rented one and put us both in harms way if he felt there was anything unsafe about them.

We rented scoots in Grand Turk and survived. We rented a Jeep and then these scoots in Coz. And we are still here. Great stories to go along with each rental.

Archived