This is what we did...

Nicki61

WOW I think they look like a blast! Unfortunately my husband is 6'4 and about 320# so there is no way he's riding in one of those. He has a hard time fitting in my full size Tahoe, there's no way I'm getting him in one of those.

Fortunately, he's doing the dolphin swim with one of the other gals, so maybe I can convince her husband to go with me in one!

You are probably right in the size matter. My DH is 6' and 280 and that was enough. lol

Well I personally think you are wrong about them not being safe. Anything can be deemed unsafe in the wrong hands. Drive correctly and things will be fine.

And trust me, the cab drivers dont' want to get into an accident any more than you do. But we aren't driving the Daytona 500 here, we are driving in Cozumel. 2 lanes each way. Stay to the right and let people pass you when they want to. Block the road and you will get run over. Simple driving etiquette.

But that is your decision. But my DH would not have rented one and put us both in harms way if he felt there was anything unsafe about them.

We rented scoots in Grand Turk and survived. We rented a Jeep and then these scoots in Coz. And we are still here. Great stories to go along with each rental.

The only way I would even consider renting one of these was if there was only 1 or 2 ships in port that day. I'm just sayin people should think twice. They are no safer than a scooter. There's a reason they give you helmets to wear. Your lucky streak doesn't make them any less safe. Last time we were in Coz, we saw 3 seperate accidents in 5 minutes time, one of which looked pretty serious. When was the last time you saw 3 accidents in 5 minutes,

besides at the Daytona 500? Every rental car and every cab I have ever seen in Coz has some body damage. Unfortunately, accidents are very common, and if you took a moderate collision in one of these vehicles from a full size vehicle, like a Jeep, you'd be dead. Dead, dead, dead. Dead.. That's all I'm sayin..

Well I guess that will just leave 1 extra scoot coop for someone else.

Honestly if I worried about dieing each time I walked out of my house, or trying something new or anything. I would live in a bubble.

Helmets are a safe thing to wear. Just like seat belts. I would never, even at home ride my scoot without head protection. And at home I have a full face helmet. And I like it because of the protection it gives me. Do I think I am going to get into an accident? Nope, but if I do, the money maker is protected!

But like I said, personal preference. No one is making anyone do anything.

We personally had a great time. A hoot actually. Traffic was no problem and there were 5 ships in port, I think.

this looks like alot of fun! i have been trying to figure out what to do in coz. and this just might be the thing. thanks for sharing.

Your welcome.

You never know unless someone tells you or you try it for yourself.

Are they a standard shift or automatic? I agree with you they look like they would be a riot. I am going to forward your post to the other members in our group. Look like they are easy to park. Do you need a driving lic. to rent them? Insurance?

thanks

Anne

Are they a standard shift or automatic? I agree with you they look like they would be a riot. I am going to forward your post to the other members in our group. Look like they are easy to park. Do you need a driving lic. to rent them? Insurance?

thanks

Anne

Anne,

You need a regular driving license. They are automatic. Just start them with a key and squeeze the handle. It is just like driving a motor cycle or scooter. Same type of steering wheel.

The insurance is included in the price, or it was for us.

Very easy to park. You don't' have reverse so you just push them back to where you want them.

We were able to pull into any parking spot, and push it back to get started forward.

You dont' need to balance since there are 3 wheels, so it is actually easier to drive than a scooter.

But yes, they are a riot. I think I laughed the whole time we were driving it. Tears running down my face! People were all over it when we stopped and I just kept waving and waving.

Have fun, be safe and enjoy your vacation.

Nicki I sent this thread on to the other members of our group and we all think it will be a riot. Thanks so much for posting it. I will let you know how we make out. Do they give you a map so you can find your way around? We want to go to Paradise Beach but have no idea how to get there.

If Nicky does not know we would love to hear from someone that can help us. I think at this point we will rent about 4 or 5 depending on how many of us try them.

Thank in advance

Anne

Well I personally think you are wrong about them not being safe. Anything can be deemed unsafe in the wrong hands. Drive correctly and things will be fine.

And trust me, the cab drivers dont' want to get into an accident any more than you do. But we aren't driving the Daytona 500 here, we are driving in Cozumel. 2 lanes each way. Stay to the right and let people pass you when they want to. Block the road and you will get run over. Simple driving etiquette.

But that is your decision. But my DH would not have rented one and put us both in harms way if he felt there was anything unsafe about them.

We rented scoots in Grand Turk and survived. We rented a Jeep and then these scoots in Coz. And we are still here. Great stories to go along with each rental.

You might want to read this from another poster...Accident in Cozumel with Insurance

Must admit that the insurance scam has me worrried. That would be the last thing I would want to happen to any of our party. We might just have to use the cabs that are so cheap ......... It looked like so much fun. I could just see all us crazy Canadians in a row driving down the main roads in Cozumel. We are very easily entertained but this would be a very hard situation to get over. I thank you for posting this information for us. Even if it gives us much to ponder.

Anne

• 8 months later...

This looks like so much fun. I just booked it directly with Princess. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm paying twice as much, but they are doing a caravan and my DH will feel much safer that way. I probably wouldn't be able to talk him into it on his own.

• 2 weeks later...

Carnival does not have these listed, but we normally do our own thing not thru the ship. My question is most of this information is from January last year. Anyone rented them lately? This is the only site I have seen anything about them on & wondering if they are still in business? We leave in a week, so a prompt response would be appricated. Vicki

Since we had taken a jeep around the whole island in 2007, we knew there wasn't much of a reason to do that again. So we drove to the Wyndham resort, near Nachi Cocom and spent a few hours there. Then drove back to town. Did some shopping, very easy parking.

But it was just so much fun. I think we laughed the whole time we were in the thing. People waving at us...it was just a hoot.

But if you wanted to go around the island you certainly could. It would probably go about 50mph. So with that speed you can get places.

What does it cost to rent a jeep ? Did you need to research your self-tour of the island, given directions or did you just hit the road ???

This looks like so much fun. I just booked it directly with Princess. Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm paying twice as much, but they are doing a caravan and my DH will feel much safer that way. I probably wouldn't be able to talk him into it on his own.

We are going on November 28, 2009, if you are going earlier could you please find the name & maybe a way of contacting the place that rents these. Carnival does not have them listed, but if Princess is booking they must still be in business. Thanks for your help, if you are able to find anything. Have a great cruise. Vicki

This looks PERFECT! I'm having thee hardest time deciding what to do in Cozumel for 8 hours. I would love to take one of these bad boys around the island. I was looking at the map you gave of the island and noticed the road out to the lighthouses are dirt roads. Would you feel comfortable taking one of these things on a dirt road? Thanks for letting us all know about these. How fun!

• 4 weeks later...
We are going on November 28, 2009, if you are going earlier could you please find the name & maybe a way of contacting the place that rents these. Carnival does not have them listed, but if Princess is booking they must still be in business. Thanks for your help, if you are able to find anything. Have a great cruise. Vicki

Sorry, but we are leaving on the 28th also, so I can't help you out. If you do a search on Scoot Coupe, Cozumel, there is a company that is located in town that rents them - maybe you can contact them.

• 10 months later...

So, I am posting this a year down the line from the last post. Do they still do these whereby you walk up and rent them in Cozumel? We are on a Celebrity cruise and in Cozumel early December 2010. This is offered through the cruise at £75 per person but if they are still available to rent when you get to the port then I will do it that way. Anyone else done this in the last year???? Surely there has to be someone out there???

Karen

Archived