Kenai Fjords

ShibaInuMom

Will be docking in Seward while on the Pacific Princess in June 2009. Looking for an excursion to the Kenai Fjords. The ship will be in port from 8 AM until 6 PM and most tours leave around noon and don't get back until 6:30-7 PM. We really wanted to do an excursion in the Fjords while we are there. Any suggestions? All information will be appreciated.

The 3 major companies, Kenai Fjords, Renown and Major Marine- my personal favorite, all have sailings departing around noon and returning at 5:30pm.

You'd have time in the morning for seeing downtown Seward, the Sealife Center, and even Exit Glacier if timed properly.

I suggest not booking things through the cruise ship as I feel their prices can be high compared to doing it on your own.

The 11:30-5:30 Kenai Fjords tours make it a point to get back on time, because the train to Anchorage leaves at 6:00. However, if your ship offers a special 6-hour tour, I would book it with them - even though they will probably charge more than if you booked one of the vendors' regularly-scheduled tours.

YES, HERE IS THE INFO. FOR KENAI FJORDS TOURS WE WENT ON IN JUNE, 2005, PHONE 1-877-777-4051

11:30 AM DEPARTURE

Alaska's #1 Wildlife & Glacier Cruise. Enjoy our most popular tour cruising the vast beauty of Kenai Fjords National Park!

WILDLIFE PASS! Book this tour ONLINE and get a FREE pass to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center! (online bookings only)

INTERNET SPECIAL >>> Book online and get a FREE pass to the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center with this tour. In addition to incredible marine wildlife, see all of the land mammals you came to see - bears, caribou, moose, muskox and more - in natural settings.

Adults $139 / Children (2-11) $69.50

(plus tax and fees)

WE REALLY ENJOYED IT AND I HOPE YOU DO ALSO.

I am also looking into a Kenai Fjord BoatTour. Our train to Anchorage leaves at 6 pm & all 3 companies(Kenai Fjord Tours, Renown & Major Marine go until 5:30 PM. Some of these companies offer a transportation package to Anchorage through Alaska Rail which is leading me to believe they will back in time. Kenai Fjord Tours does have an earlier departure 8 or 8:30 am.

Can anyone recommend one company over another? They seem like it's

a very similar tour. Kenai Fjord Tours & Renown include lunch, and are more expensive. Kenai Fjord Tours got great reviews on trip advisor.

• 2 weeks later...

We are on the same Pacific Princess sailing as the first poster asking about Kenaio Fjord cruises and making it back to the ship on time. Nobody who has been there befreo seems to have answered the original question., If the posted time of the Kenai cruise is 8:00 to 5:30, does this mean we are back to the ship at 5:30pm? Do they know you have a ship to catch and make sure you are back? Or is it back to their dock by 5:30pm and then you have to make a mad dash back to the cruise ship by 6:00p? How far from the cruise ship are the docks for these tours of Kenai Fjords. I too would prefer to book privately. aways a better deal and more personalized, but not at the expense of missing the boat at 6:00pm

Does anyone know which of these vendors Princess uses for their Kenai Fjords excursion and is it as good ast he major vendors folks mention on these boards?

We are on the same Pacific Princess sailing as the first poster asking about Kenaio Fjord cruises and making it back to the ship on time. Nobody who has been there befreo seems to have answered the original question., If the posted time of the Kenai cruise is 8:00 to 5:30, does this mean we are back to the ship at 5:30pm? Do they know you have a ship to catch and make sure you are back? Or is it back to their dock by 5:30pm and then you have to make a mad dash back to the cruise ship by 6:00p? How far from the cruise ship are the docks for these tours of Kenai Fjords. I too would prefer to book privately. aways a better deal and more personalized, but not at the expense of missing the boat at 6:00pm

Does anyone know which of these vendors Princess uses for their Kenai Fjords excursion and is it as good ast he major vendors folks mention on these boards?

Your best bet is to contact the companies yourself. I have not found a tour that ended before 5:30 p.m. I know that the cruise ships require you to be back at a certain time before departure. No matter what anyone tells you here, you should contact the source directly. That means both Princess and the Kenai Fjords tour company you want to go with. Since I have had so much trouble with getting misinformation lately, I would contact them more than once and see if you get the same answer.

I checked the excursions that Princess is offering in Seward, and a Kenai Fjords tour is not currently listed. They only list a Resurrection Bay tour. Frankly, I would not waste my money on that tour. It is a leisurely cruise of the Bay. You need to get out of the bay to see any significant wildlife and glacier viewing. If Princess does not end up offering a regular Kenai Fjord cruise, and the companies cannot guarentee to have you back in time for your ship's departure, I would do as recommended above: Visit the Sealife Center and go to Exit Glacier. At Exit Glacier you can take a ranger guided hike which lasts about two hours.

Here are the excursions Princess is currently offering for Seward:

http://www.princess.com/pb/shorexDetails.do?subnav=true&voyageCode=K915&tourCode=&resType=C&departurePort=&noOfCruiseDays=&noOfTourDays=&travelOrder=&port=SWD&productCode=AGS140&departureDate=Jul+09%2C+2009&productDesc=Alaska+Connoisseur+-+Roundtrip+Seattle

I do hope that things work out for you and you will be able to take a regular Kenai Fjords tour. It is a great trip.

Thanks for the info Glacier Lady. I am still concerned that the tours may not get us back to the ship in time. The ones I checked with so far do not guarantee that I will meet my 5:30 deadline. Do you know of any that will?

There is the train that leaves Seward at 6pm sharp. A majority of those wildlife cruise passengers are also the train and/or big ship passengers. If you have a return time of 5:30 you will be fine. If something where to happen, which does but is rare, everyone knows about it. Seward's that small.

I am also looking into a Kenai Fjord BoatTour. Our train to Anchorage leaves at 6 pm & all 3 companies(Kenai Fjord Tours, Renown & Major Marine go until 5:30 PM. Some of these companies offer a transportation package to Anchorage through Alaska Rail which is leading me to believe they will back in time. Kenai Fjord Tours does have an earlier departure 8 or 8:30 am.

Can anyone recommend one company over another? They seem like it's

a very similar tour. Kenai Fjord Tours & Renown include lunch, and are more expensive. Kenai Fjord Tours got great reviews on trip advisor.

They are all very similiar, go in the same waters, have comunication between boats and let the others know where they spot things such as whales. All have shuttle buses waiting at the train depot and in front of the company office which is 2 blocks apart. It can be faster walking than waiting for everyone to load and unload...LOL

You'll make it back to the ship in plenty of time. No mad dash and there is usually shuttle buses to/from and around town which the farthest points are just 2 miles apart. Seward is very small. Everyone knows there is a ship and are very responsible to make sure you don't miss the boat. :) We only have the 1 regular port of call ship every 2 weeks. Yes, it can be much cheaper booking yourself. Princess always wants it's cut so it's best to go directly through the vendor.

Absolutely rid-dic-lously priced !! I hate watching them come in ripping off "their" passengers :( Most don't know any better. :(

I'm looking to book from one of the three companies. Right now for June, Major Marine is leaving at 12:30, the others leave at 11:30. Major Marine is cheaper but you are getting less of a tour. Major Marine has a yummy sounding buffet but I plan to be on deck sightseeing, not inside eating, so I'm not sure I'd get my monies worth from a buffet.

So I've narrowed it down to Renown which is $100 cheaper for our group of 3 adults & 1 child, or Kenai Fjords. (No coupons - too big a hassle for me.)

For food, Kenai Fjords has wraps of some kind turkey I think, Renown has bagels with salmon, cream cheese, a cookie and a drink.

Thanks much for your sharing your local expertise.

You had mentioned previously that the train station is only a couple blocks away from where the Kenai excursion boats dock.

How about from the cruise ship dock. Also a coupkle of blocks apart or closer?

Also, when these tour operators say their cruise ends at 5;30, is about 5:30 meaning anywhere between 5:00 and 6:00 pm or are they pretty punctual? And if they do get back at 5:30, how long does it take to get to the cruise ship?

And, do the tour operators bring you back? are there cabs ready to take passengers? Is it so close that you can walk it in a few minutes? Is there a shuttle there when you get back or do you have to wait meaning the chances of missing the ship go up.

I know it all sounds pretty paranoid, it's just that in all the private excursions I have booked (knock on wood) I have never yet missed last call to get on board and don't want Seward to be the first.

Another question for those in the know. For the Kenai tours, does Princess use the same three major private operators mentioned on these boards? Are they in the same boats that you would be on if you booked privately? Is it the same tour?

The 11:30-5:30 Kenai Fjords tours make it a point to get back on time, because the train to Anchorage leaves at 6:00. However, if your ship offers a special 6-hour tour, I would book it with them - even though they will probably charge more than if you booked one of the vendors' regularly-scheduled tours.

Princess does NOT offer a Kenai Fjords excursion.

Although I am sure that the tour company will make every effort to get back before the ship leaves at 6pm, sometimes unexpected things happen -- beyond the control of the tour company. By allowing only 30 minutes between the end of the tour and the ship leaving port, I think that you are cutting it too close. What happens if you get back at 6:10, and the ship has already left?

Thanks much for your sharing your local expertise.

You had mentioned previously that the train station is only a couple blocks away from where the Kenai excursion boats dock......How about from the cruise ship dock. Also a coupkle of blocks apart or closer?.... how long does it take to get to the cruise ship?

And, do the tour operators bring you back? are there cabs ready to take passengers? Is it so close that you can walk it in a few minutes? Is there a shuttle there when you get back or do you have to wait meaning the chances of missing the ship go up.

QUOTE]

Hi,

We have booked the 11:30AM 6 hour Kenai Fjords trip with Alaska Heritage (Kenai Fjords Tours). The train from Anchorage gets into Seward at 11:05AM. KFT-AH told us they would meet us at the train, keep our luggage at their place in a locked room during the boat trip and then return us and our luggage to the Radiance at end of trip at no extra charge. Radiance leaves at 9PM.

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Nancy,

I just received an email from the Kenai Fjords Tour Company. It says:

"We have been in touch with Princess, and asked them what they would like to offer/arrange for their guests this summer. So far the only tour that they are making available is a 3 hour tour that the guest will have to book directly through Princess" (this refers to the Resurrection Bay tour, NOT Kenai Fjords).

"We do not recommend individual bookings with us for the NPT8 or the NPT1130" (Kenai Fjords at 8:00 and Kenai Fjords at 11:30). "The tours do not fit comfortably within the arrival and departure schedule of the Princess cruise ships in Seward, and we cannot guarantee that a guest will make the tour with us, or get back in time for the Princess departure. If Princess does decide to make a National Park Tour available for their guests, guests will be able to purchase it directly through Princess. Further inquiries from Princess guests should be directed to Princess Cruise lines."

"I think if enough guests let Princess know they prefer a longer tour that journeys further into the Park than what is currently being offered, then Princess may decide to offer an additional tour."

I called Princess and was told that the Princess Department of Shore Excursions can be reached only by FAX. The FAX number for the Princess Department of Shore Excursions is (661) 753-0182.

I encourage everyone to contact Princess and let them know that we want them to offer a Kenai Fjords National Park tour.

There is the train that leaves Seward at 6pm sharp. A majority of those wildlife cruise passengers are also the train and/or big ship passengers. If you have a return time of 5:30 you will be fine. If something where to happen, which does but is rare, everyone knows about it. Seward's that small.

Hi GlacierLady,

I just received an email from the Kenai Fjords Tour Company. It says:

"We have been in touch with Princess, and asked them what they would like to offer/arrange for their guests this summer. So far the only tour that they are making available is a 3 hour tour that the guest will have to book directly through Princess" (this refers to the Resurrection Bay tour, NOT Kenai Fjords).

"We do not recommend individual bookings with us for the NPT8 or the NPT1130" (Kenai Fjords at 8:00 and Kenai Fjords at 11:30). "The tours do not fit comfortably within the arrival and departure schedule of the Princess cruise ships in Seward, and we cannot guarantee that a guest will make the tour with us, or get back in time for the Princess departure. If Princess does decide to make a National Park Tour available for their guests, guests will be able to purchase it directly through Princess. Further inquiries from Princess guests should be directed to Princess Cruise lines."

"I think if enough guests let Princess know they prefer a longer tour that journeys further into the Park than what is currently being offered, then Princess may decide to offer an additional tour."

I called Princess and was told that the Princess Department of Shore Excursions can be reached only by FAX. The FAX number for the Princess Department of Shore Excursions is (661) 753-0182.

I encourage everyone to contact Princess and let them know that we want them to offer a Kenai Fjords National Park tour.

We contact the Kenai Fjords tour group and they said we would not make the 8AM since we don't dock until then. They also advised we not go on the 11 AM since they will not guarantee getting us back to the boat by 5:30. So, we are hoping Princess will add this excursion, if not - so be it.

Archived