Kenai Fjords

ShibaInuMom

Give your $$$ to locals and not Princess. They set up things like that on purpose! :(

You could consider getting a group together and privately chartering a boat for the day. Mariah Tours quoted $500 per hour, 6 hours with up to 16 people. That's under $200pp which is cheaper than their Captain's Choice tour at $211pp.

There is also Saltwater Lodge which has several small boats. I'm trying to get ahold of them to see how much they would charge.

Hi GlacierLady,

The Saltwater Lodge Web site says: "We depart at 8 a.m. and plan on returning between 4:30 and 5 p.m. but on numerous occasions haven't gotten in until later, usually because we have encountered an unusual wildlife sighting late in the afternoon such as orcas chasing a humpback whale or a mountain goat giving birth and everyone on board is more interested in the sighting than getting back on time. We have the advantage of flexibility that is impossible with all of the large group tours that must adhere to strict schedules. We also enjoy flexibility in choosing our viewing route and therefore seldom take the exact same route two days in a row."

Since they leave at 8am, we could not make it. The ship docks at 8:00; thus, 8:30 would be the absolute earliest we could get to the Lodge. Also, we do not know what time the tour will end. Their Web site states that "on numerous occasions haven't gotten in until later" and that they "have the advantage of flexibility." When you have to be back to the ship before it departs, flexibility is NOT something we are looking for in a tour.

I would love to book independently rather than through Princess. I usually book independent excursions. But I am bound by Princess's all aboard time.

When I called Kenai Fjords tours directly about shifting the time they told me they would only do it in conjunction with Princess . Apparently Princess wasn't interested.

What I don't understand is why Kenai can't be a little flexible (depart at 8:30) so we can book with them independently. Midweek with no other ship in port would there really be that many independent non-cruise travelers that would book an 8AM but not an 8:30? It seems to me Kenai could get more business by making a half hour shift in departure.

As far as a small boat charter- since the seas can get rough on this trip I am not sure I would want to be on such a small boat.

• 1 month later...

We are going on a HAL ship (Veendam) and want to take the Kenai tour. We are taking the HAL Tour-Cruise and we are staying at Anchorage the night before. I assume we will be bussed down and take a noonish tour, and will start the cruise at 8:00 PM.

Has anyone done this in previous years (too early for this year)?

DD

• 1 month later...

We want to book Kenai Fjords National Park tour on July 20th. We are not on a time schedule as our land tour does not start until the 21st.

We are staying in Anchorage and need to find Fjords tour from there.

Tour company recommendations appreciated.

We want to book Kenai Fjords National Park tour on July 20th. We are not on a time schedule as our land tour does not start until the 21st.

We are staying in Anchorage and need to find Fjords tour from there.

Tour company recommendations appreciated.

Why are you staying in Anchorage??? Seward is 3 hours one way from Anchorage. I never recommend the day trips, but that is your only option. So you need to book yourself on the Alaska RR, http://www.kenaifjords.com and their 11:30am tour.

Archived