RT/Vancouver Holland vs RT/Seattle NCL

cw2go

Okay I have been racking my brain, I thought I had made a decission and here I am again with more questions...:confused:

These are the two options I am looking into and would like those of you experienced alaska cruisers to offer your input. I am looking for what will give us the best experience and lifestyle fit.

RT Seattle on the NCL Pearl or RT Vancouver on Holland Veendam

We like the Holland itererary better for the views, port times, passage route and stateroom space. We like NCL better for the freestyle dining, the ship perks and convience of Seattle flight.

We must do round trip for our budget, we have a few pricey excursions in mind and would rather put money there. Both of these trips meet our price goal.

So about us: we are mid 40's and our son will be along and is going to be 14 yrs. So that is why I considered the perks such as Bowling Alley. We have cruised Carnival and Royal prefered Royal by far with service and meals. We are not fancy and from what I have read Holland seems so much more fussy... meaning dress codes...Maybe not??? I just can't get a real feel. We are looking to cuise for end of July time frame so that should allow for more kids. Will we fit in? Or does it even matter? :eek:

We want to enjoy the ship time but overall my priority is Alaska. So please advise where you can. I thank you in advance,

Patty

No question the Vancouver RT is by far the better itinerary as the ship sails entirely in the Inside Passage so you are hardly ever out of sight of land and the scenery therof. Ships sailing of out Seattle sail out on the west side of Vancovuer Island in the unprotected waters of the open Pacific and you miss a signifact part of the Inside Passage at both end of your cruise.

These are the two options I am looking into and would like those of you experienced alaska cruisers to offer your input. I am looking for what will give us the best experience and lifestyle fit.

We like the Holland itererary better for the views, port times, passage route and stateroom space. We like NCL better for the freestyle dining, the ship perks and convience of Seattle flight.

We must do round trip for our budget, we have a few pricey excursions in mind and would rather put money there. Both of these trips meet our price goal.

So about us: we are mid 40's and our son will be along and is going to be 14 yrs. So that is why I considered the perks such as Bowling Alley. We have cruised Carnival and Royal prefered Royal by far with service and meals. We are not fancy and from what I have read Holland seems so much more fussy... meaning dress codes...Maybe not??? I just can't get a real feel. We are looking to cuise for end of July time frame so that should allow for more kids. Will we fit in? Or does it even matter? :eek:

Patty

I was going back and forth between Royal and Holland. I had heard so many good things about HAL, the rooms look nice, and it was rated #1 for Alaska on something I'd read, but we've always been happy w/ Royal too. I love the honesty of my travel agent. When I told her about us, our relaxed lifestyle, etc, she said Royal was the better choice, that HAL "is a very good cruise line, but a little more luxurious so tends to attract an older crowd that can sometimes be more uptight." I'll be turning 50 on our Alaskan cruise in Sept, husband 55, daughter 20 ... I noticed on our recent MR cruise that Royal did have a lot of activities for the younger teen group, my daughter was in the awkward older teen, not 21 yet group, not as much going on for her age group, but she still had a great time and wants to go again.

RCI Serenade has a nice itinerary and my TA recommended going out of Vancouver rather than Seattle for better views and itinerary, says Inside Passage is one of the most beautiful places to see. I priced both out w/ purchasing independent air, and final cost ends up about the same. We'll have a balcony room with sofa bed in seating area and a pullman.

Be sure to sign up for the meet & mingle if the cruise line you decide offers it ... we met some really nice new friends from cc's meet & mingle on our MR cruise.

If your priority is truely Alaska, then HAL is a better choice. I've sailed both lines in Alaska along with three others- passengers are similar on Alaska sailings, middle aged and above the bulk. But all ages sailing.

Pick one!! :)

• Administrators
Okay I have been racking my brain, I thought I had made a decission and here I am again with more questions...:confused:

We want to enjoy the ship time but overall my priority is Alaska. So please advise where you can. I thank you in advance,

Patty

I would choose based on itinerary and port times, since you indicated that your priority is Alaska and that you are planning high end shore excursions -- that will be where you and your son would spend most of your time?

Even on HAL at the end of July there should be other kids -- though you are right, perhaps not as many as NCL. On our cruise last summer there were several teens. Input on a few of your other concerns:

• HAL does have "formal" nights but for the most part in Alaska seems to be less formal than elsewhere -- and always has the options of full dining room meals served in your cabin, or going to the Lido for formal night (casual dress okay -- they have tablecloths on the table and serve dining room entrees to you after you pick sides, desserts, etc).
  • Flying into Seattle and sailing from Vancouver is a possibility -- many people do it because it's so much cheaper that way. We took Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver, but that does add one day onto the beginning of your trip because the train leaves Seattle so early in the morning. Still, the train ride was actually one of our trip highlights -- gorgeous scenery all the way along Puget Sound heading north.

Good luck making your choice! :)

I did a HAL Alaska cruise in 2007 (Volendam, southbound) and at least as far as the Alaska cruises are concerned HAL, is NOT fancy. People did not get all dressed up in the evenings - altho most did change from jogging suits or jeans into polyester slacks! Also, all HAL ships have an anytime dining option and it appears that they are trying to encourage most passengers to do that (but that's another thread!). I've now done both HAL and Princess to Alaska and as far as those rwo lines, there is an older demographic. Have been in ports with other cruise lines and never see many kids coming off the ships.

Yes... I already had an idea this is what I would hear just didn't know how Holland would match up with our son. I am realizing though it really isn't going to matter who we cruise with where he is concerend. This is his pick for a vacation. So I will keep thinking everything over and let him give lots of input.

I am looking hard into the Zuiderdam out of Vancouver, do any of you know when they will open dates for 2010?

Thank you again,

patty

I would choose based on itinerary and port times, since you indicated that your priority is Alaska and that you are planning high end shore excursions -- that will be where you and your son would spend most of your time?

Even on HAL at the end of July there should be other kids -- though you are right, perhaps not as many as NCL. On our cruise last summer there were several teens. Input on a few of your other concerns:

• HAL does have "formal" nights but for the most part in Alaska seems to be less formal than elsewhere -- and always has the options of full dining room meals served in your cabin, or going to the Lido for formal night (casual dress okay -- they have tablecloths on the table and serve dining room entrees to you after you pick sides, desserts, etc).
  • Flying into Seattle and sailing from Vancouver is a possibility -- many people do it because it's so much cheaper that way. We took Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver, but that does add one day onto the beginning of your trip because the train leaves Seattle so early in the morning. Still, the train ride was actually one of our trip highlights -- gorgeous scenery all the way along Puget Sound heading north.

Good luck making your choice! :)

Hello again,

I was not aware that we could pick d-room meals elsewhere, is this common? Is the buffet open at the same time?

How easy is the train system? That sounds like a great idea, we were already planning on coming in a day early.

Thanks,

Patty

how rough is the sailing from seattle? I booked r/t before I read about the difference on going from vancouver instead.

are we really missing out on a lot of scenery?

loraine

From what I hear it can be very iffy... hit or miss but a earlier post said she ended up from one end of her bed to another. I am just making sure I pick the best route for my son, doesn't seem there is one and he is the one who picked this trip...(as far as entertainment and other kids being onboard.)

Smiles

Patty

• Administrators
Hello again,

I was not aware that we could pick d-room meals elsewhere, is this common? Is the buffet open at the same time?

How easy is the train system? That sounds like a great idea, we were already planning on coming in a day early.

Thanks,

Patty

HAL offers room service of dining room meals every evening (which is a wonderful service -- you just have to call when the dining room's open). At night the buffet/Lido offers tablecloths on the tables, and a little more "upscale" feeling. You go through the line for veggies, sides, and drinks (if I recall), choose a table, and then your entrees are served to you at your table. Sometimes folks who don't want to go "formal" will eat at the Lido (the buffet) on formal night so they can dress casually but still have a choice of some of the dining room entrees -- not all of the entrees, but every night some of them are offered in the Lido buffet. A couple of times we checked out the Lido, didn't see the entree we wanted, so went to the cabin and ordered it from room service. Then we could eat while watching DVD's in the cabin (all HAL cabins have a DVD player).

We thought the train was very easy, and really well priced -- we saved $350 per person by flying into and out of Seattle, and our train tickets to Vancouver with AAA discount were $26 each. We chose to priceline a hotel near the airport in Seattle the night we arrived, because our flight from the east coast landed so late. Then the next day we took a limo service to the train station (it's in downtown Seattle). Even after the limo, the hotel, and the train tickets we still saved over $600, plus we had a great time on the train. Other folks come in 1-2 days early and stay in downtown Seattle, taking the chance to visit the fish market, Pioneer Square, etc.

how rough is the sailing from seattle? I booked r/t before I read about the difference on going from vancouver instead.

are we really missing out on a lot of scenery?

loraine

Yes, you are missing out on a significant amount of scenery. You can expect at least one of the two, Seattle round trip sea days to be rough.

Hello and I know I have asked many questions... and finally the plan is in motion...Holland R/T Vancouver WINS!!

After all this research and rethinking I presented both iteneraries and what one ship has and another does not as far as perks, without mentioning the cruise lines and both my husband and son picked Vancouver R/T.

My son is the one who asked for this trip and his exact words were "I don't care about bowling or rock walls ...I want to see the big ice thingy's"

Sometimes as mommy's we get in our own way, I was so concerned with him wanting the stuff and kids and really he dosn't care. He even pointed out to me when we take caribbean cruises in January there are only about 30 kids on board then.

So thank you for pointing me in the right direction. MichellP the train out of Seattle was a great suggestion. Budget Queen your an awesome contributor to CC, I have seen at times you recieve a little back lash but for people like me it is an amazing service. Alaska for some reason is a bit consuming and you seem to keep directing those of us less confident. It is more than obviouse you truely love Alaska and want others to apprieciate the beauty in the raw natural land. So for all who gravel just know that there are many who value your input.

Smiles,

patty

So glad you chose the R/T from Vancouver with HAL. I just know you are going to have a most wonderful time! Your son will see all the "icey thingies" his heart desires, and you will have a wonderful experience on HAL! Its a really understated, elegant cruise line that has so much to offer to folks of all ages. On our last two AK cruises, there were plenty of kids - some taking part in the scavenger hunt throughout the ship that they really seemed to enjoy. But, most of those kids were just thrilled to be in Alaska with their families, taking it all in. There is soooooo much to see and do. Now the fun part - the excursion planning is the best part!

Engage your son in that, and it will be a wonderful trip for you all. Have a great time!

So glad you chose the R/T from Vancouver with HAL. I just know you are going to have a most wonderful time! Your son will see all the "icey thingies" his heart desires, and you will have a wonderful experience on HAL! Its a really understated, elegant cruise line that has so much to offer to folks of all ages. On our last two AK cruises, there were plenty of kids - some taking part in the scavenger hunt throughout the ship that they really seemed to enjoy. But, most of those kids were just thrilled to be in Alaska with their families, taking it all in. There is soooooo much to see and do. Now the fun part - the excursion planning is the best part!

Engage your son in that, and it will be a wonderful trip for you all. Have a great time!

Thank you for your kind words, my son has begun his planning as well I don't think I can get around the dog sled fight excursion. I know it is pricey but this one of those thingy's he wants.

It will be awesome and I feel so much better just finally getting the itenerary and cruiseline figured out.

Smiles,

patty

Congrats on your choice. We just went thru the same sort of process and decided on the same itinerary. We are taking the Zuiderdam in June 09. Our daughter who is 18YO is going with us so we had some of the same concerns about ages. It would be good to have a least a few teenagers on board. We decided that Alaskan scenery is much more important than the ship. That said, HAL and the Zuiderdam sounds like it will be very good.

• Administrators
Hello and I know I have asked many questions... and finally the plan is in motion...Holland R/T Vancouver WINS!!

After all this research and rethinking I presented both iteneraries and what one ship has and another does not as far as perks, without mentioning the cruise lines and both my husband and son picked Vancouver R/T.

My son is the one who asked for this trip and his exact words were "I don't care about bowling or rock walls ...I want to see the big ice thingy's"

Sometimes as mommy's we get in our own way, I was so concerned with him wanting the stuff and kids and really he dosn't care. He even pointed out to me when we take caribbean cruises in January there are only about 30 kids on board then.

So thank you for pointing me in the right direction. MichellP the train out of Seattle was a great suggestion. Budget Queen your an awesome contributor to CC, I have seen at times you recieve a little back lash but for people like me it is an amazing service. Alaska for some reason is a bit consuming and you seem to keep directing those of us less confident. It is more than obviouse you truely love Alaska and want others to apprieciate the beauty in the raw natural land. So for all who gravel just know that there are many who value your input.

Smiles,

patty

I think you'll have a wonderful time. I wouldn't have thought about the train/flying into Seattle option without the folks here on this wonderful Alaska board, either, and it truly was a highlight of our trip. Happy to pay that suggestion forward and I'm sure you will enjoy it as well.

Enjoy planning excursions! :)

Archived